Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ubisoft Entertainment

Company »

Ubisoft Entertainment (pronounced yoo-bee-soft) is a French videogame developer and publisher, with its headquarters in Montreuil-Sous-Bois, France.

Ubisoft Eliminates Printed Game Manuals

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#151  Edited By landon

I never got the point of the manual anyway. Most of the content in them is explained in the game itself anyway.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By clarke0

I honestly have to say I will be sad if this becomes the trend. Whenever I buy games new (which I always do unless they are a couple years old already) I make sure to keep everything that comes with them including the manual and even the ads. Having that physical material come with the package makes it feel like an actual purchase rather than just buying some rights to play a game. I'm real disappointed that packaging trends in North America keep getting worse. If only we had the awesome packaging standards they have in Japan.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#153  Edited By JJWeatherman

Companies like EA and Ubisoft have been skimping on manuals over the past few years. I won't mind seeing those stupid 5 page manuals go away. But then there's games like Oblivion which comes with a freakin map plus a large manual. Also GTA 4 which has kind of a novelty manual but I like it. I just hope not every company gets rid of them because some actually still do it right.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#154  Edited By DrRandle

It doesn't surprise me. That being said, I always appreciate the presentation of a good, colorful, detailed manual. But ever since games started to have in depth tutorials inside the game itself, the need for these kinds of manuals really has gone away.

I'll still poor one out for instruction manuals.

ShaolinSpade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#155  Edited By ShaolinSpade

is it "eco-friendly" or "recession-friendly?"

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#156  Edited By upwarDBound

It seems that only japanese rpgs really have full color informative manuals these days. The lack of a manual as well as flimsy case design are the main reasons I don't really buy games anymore.  If this is the way things are going there might as well be a subscription based gaming platform ala the zune marketplace. There is really nothing physical to own anymore.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#157  Edited By LiquidPrince

Boo. That fucking sucks. Boo BOO.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Milkman

Not surprised at all by this. I can't even remember the last time I opened up a game manual and when I did, I must have been extremely bored or the game must have been installing or something. I'm sure a lot of major publishers are going to start following suit. Though I admit, it's going to be weird opening a case and then there being nothing between the flaps.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#159  Edited By ChrisTaran

This is purely a measure to reduce cost.  Nothing more nothing less.  The marketing is just taking advantage of the side effect of being "eco-friendly."  My own company did this a year or so ago.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Dude... 

THE EARTH ISN'T DIEING!!! 

Why do people want to be so "eco-friendly!?"

wicked_wumpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#161  Edited By wicked_wumpus
    @ChrisTaran said:

" This is purely a measure to reduce cost.  Nothing more nothing less.  The marketing is just taking advantage of the side effect of being "eco-friendly."  My own company did this a year or so ago. "

Even so it does reduce the amount of paper being used.  I'll take a company trying to reduce costs and making it seem like they really care about the environment as long as it's doing some good.
    Camurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#162  Edited By Camurai

I get where ubisoft is coming from, and I probably won't miss manuals that much if they are completely gone at some point. Actually today I was looking through some of my old games and noticed how big the manuals were, with character bios and story info and concept art. Some of them were so big they actually weighed down the case, So I like all the extra stuff like that, But that was before I could get all that stuff from the internet.

Cday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Cday

Actually I do read them (provided they're worth reading which is rare and that's entirely their fault). It's bullshit, Instead of the "Iron Law of Wages"; think of it as the "Iron Law of Manuals". As time goes on games get dumber to match the average consumers intelligence. As time goes on no one gives a shit how cheap publishers get and soon we'll be swimming in it. Anyone who supports this garbage is the problem and whoever believes the whole "we're doing it for the environment Bro!" crap needs to quietly and calmly remove their head from their rectum.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#164  Edited By Hector

Ehhh. Don't really care since I really never bother to open them anyhow.

Curufinwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Curufinwe

Jeff would have benefited from taking 10 minute to read the Persona 4 manual.

AsKo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By AsKo25

Deadly Premonition has a pretty fat manual.

PenguinDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By PenguinDoctor

Hummmm...this could be a problem.  I'm not saying manuals are anything worth being excited about, but some games make good use of their manuals.  I know the Rock Band games have codes in their manuals, what will happen to the codes?!?
    MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By MaddProdigy

I don't even think it's cheap marketing. Who really cares about the manuals anyway? Good move ubisoft.

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#169  Edited By NickLott

It's been a long time since manuals have been a necessity in games. From a nostalgic perspective, I'll miss it but for practicality, I am behind this. The the weight of a manual can reduce the weight of a case by half in a lot of cases. 

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By agentboolen
    @Jeff:  It was only a matter of time till this happened, with how bad the magazine and newspaper industry are doing.  Print is just being pushed away, just look at things like the Ipad that is definetly going to be the future once it becomes affordable for everyone to own.  The good trees wont be killed for print, the bad we loss out on high resolution print and get low resolution digital images.  For instruction manuels when I was a kid in the ol' NES days I never even went through them, now that games have gotten more complicated i'll usually attempt to play and then look up any thing when I have questions.  Its nice to have printed instructions but in the end its not really needed anymore.  For me it became obvious that this would happen when EA started giving out those 4 page manuals.
    Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#171  Edited By Brackynews

Long gone are the days where you get a screen of informative text and have to fend for yourself. I think utilitarian manuals should have died long ago, once in-game tutorials became de rigeur, and the strategy guide market went mainstream. If manuals are made I appreciate more if they are contextual and well designed. The foldout sheet that came with the UK Heavy Rain box is pretty good.  Interesting, informative, and succinct.  I couldn't even finish flipping through the book for White Knight Chronicles. Not for size, but it's just dry.  

Lobster_Ear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Lobster_Ear

As long as Rockstar and Bethesda keep their manuals I'll be fine.

SeaSquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By SeaSquared

I'm a little bummed that they are going. At first, it's going to make me feel like my game package is incomplete.  
    I would feel better if they were ditching the manuals to bring back solid cases. I, like others have mentioned, worry about those eco-friendly cases and how they will break while I'm taking out my game or something poking through the packaging and damaging my game.

Jhriad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Jhriad

How about they take the money they saved from this and give us back game cases without the fucking shitty holes in them.   Sure would be nice to be able to pick up a game case without feeling like it was about to collapse in upon itself from the minimal pressure required to simply hold it.   This is what I see every time I open one of those cases.

No Caption Provided
    godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#175  Edited By godzilla_sushi

I have appreciated my fair share of manuals. The Ubisoft ones.....they don't make the list anyway! ;)

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#176  Edited By MormonWarrior

Seeing as I refuse to purchase a game that does not have the manual and case fully intact with it, I see this as a severely bad thing, even though I rarely if ever actually use the manual. Just an...OCD thing, I guess.

Oh, and going green? A stupid, stupid fad. I'm all for not trashing the planet, but come on, we're doing just fine already.

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

only green shaun white cares about is money and weed. 

not necessarily in that order either

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

Fuck you Ubisoft, I read those! >:(

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#179  Edited By fox01313

While I can understand the mentality of the studio not wanting to do a game manual I think that it does have some limited uses but the most important one at least to me is when I stop playing some game after a while & get back into it to forget the controls COMPLETELY meaning a lot of trial & error trying to remember each button & whatever combos they entail. Definitely reduce the amount on the manual size as that part is useless (like telling me what new game means) but put in a simple card showing the controls to glance at every now & again to remember how to play the game.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Hamz

This needed to happen. Regardless of what people think of Ubisoft's recent activities, a company needed to make a stand and point out to everyone how silly it is to continue shipping games with manuals when we live in the age of the internet.

WolfmanJenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By WolfmanJenkins

In my opinion, this is kind of lame but the good thing is that it's only Ubisoft that is implementing this idea. The only game series I'm interested from them is the Prince of Persia.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#182  Edited By spiceninja
    @animateria:  That's exactly what they're doing.
    Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Baldur's Gate II had a huge manual.

Palaeomerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#184  Edited By Palaeomerus

Ubisoft! We give you less and pass the savings on to uh...ourselves I guess!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
    deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just reduces my interest in buying games wholesale, though I do agree that they are a bit of a waste usually. Still, I enjoy collecting them...

In the long run however, it's just one less thing to worry about when I am buying a video game.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By AuthenticM

I'm all for it. Even though they did this to cut on costs, it's a good decision.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Bionicicide said:
    "
    Only reason we went with these lengthy cases was to accommodate VHS racks at retail stores. I wish all optical discs went with PS1's jewel case format.
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Well we're getting there. Blu-Ray cases are thinner and shorter.
    Bartman3010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#188  Edited By Bartman3010

If publishers want to forego instruction manuals for games, why not put in artbooks instead? All that promotional and concept art can go somewhere, right?

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Bionicicide
    @Bartman3010 said:
    " If publishers want to forego instruction manuals for games, why not put in artbooks instead? All that promotional and concept art can go somewhere, right? "
    Promotional/concept art should just be released to the Internet in the highest resolution possible. Easy for all parties.
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By sickVisionz

Most game manuals suck these days so I don't really care.  All of the info is usually in the game and the first level tutorial does a better job of explaining game mechanics then any manual ever has for me.  The only really good manuals, imo, come with RPGs and even then they usually don't answer the questions that I have.

If they really want to go green though they should get rid of the plastic cases and go with those cardboard things that albums use sometimes.

Jhriad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Jhriad
    @Hamz:   Sorry, unlike a minority of the U.S. I don't have a bunch of internet enabled devices to take with me everywhere I go.  I'm not really interested in spending even more of my day staring into eye strain inducing LCD screens either.  There are far better arguments for phasing out manuals than "Interwebs."  A manual can be much more than just a FAQ or quick look at the control scheme.  Though that wasn't often the case when talking about Ubisoft manuals.

I think people are outraged because the perceived "value" of the game package as a whole has steadily declined since the 90s.  Lets be honest, the majority of the games on the shelves aren't worth full MSRP.  Declines in package quality, included perks (Manuals, maps, whathaveyou), and the length of games has made the value proposition for each game purchase an even more important consideration for many consumers.  Then you have other avenues of acquiring games like the iTunes App Store entirely changing consumer price expectations for "just a game" and you have to think that consumers are going to expect more from their much higher priced, retail products.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Bionicicide
    @sickVisionz: 
    I never trust optical disc on paper. One of the reasons I canceled the GameFly subscription.
    teekomeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By teekomeeko

I do have an almost nostalgic fondness for games that threw you into some shit and forced you to have to look in the manual. I distinctly remember having to look at manuals for a lot of JPRGs to figure what the symbols for status effects were, what items healed them, and more bits and pieces of info. Anymore, games just hold your hand through all that stuff, even when anyone who's been a gamer for a while can figure out a lot of it out on their own (FFXIII being a perfect example of this, but my recent rental of Assassin's Creed 2 is also quite guilty of doing it).

The way manuals are now, I won't miss them at all.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#194  Edited By Undeadpool

I'm in the process of playing Infinite Space, and for how Goddamn complex that game is, you'd think the manual was for Hello Kitty Island Adventure. There's a part in the manual that actually directs you to a website to get better information. I support Ubisoft in this.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Andorski

Needing an external guide to assist a player in playing a game is a failure in game design.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By sickVisionz
    @Bionicicide: I was referring to stuff like this, not crappy Gamefly sleeves:  

No Caption Provided
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By meteora

Manuals are useless. The last manual I read was out of curiousity, most of the manuals nowadays aren't remotely useful.

This is why we have gaming sites and guides online such as GameFaqs or YouTube.

Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#198  Edited By Spiritof

Down with paper manuals.

Up with cloth maps!

Pavlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Pavlo
    @trophyhunter said:
    " fuck ubisoft then "
    oh so true
    stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By stephengotlost

I was just staring at game manuals today and thinking about how useless they are.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.