Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

5 Reasons NOT to buy a Wii U.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AsperGamer
    1. The Wii U will be outdated in a year - Sony and Microsoft will bring out new consoles in a year.
    2. Vita masquerading as the GamePad - if you have a PS3, you are better off getting a Vita.
    3. The threat to all consoles: mobile gaming - the iPhone will kill it, but not the PS3 and 360.
    4. DS + Wii = fail - it is a bizarre middle ground between the Wii and DS that will not work.
    5. It’s dramatically over-priced - it is too expensive, plus you have to buy games for it.

You agree?

Oh, this isn't my view, it is from an article in the UK Sun. Quality publication obviously! It is what we have come to expect from a Tabloid newspaper. Amazing how many Hateboys, Fanboys, Trolls and Flamers will latch onto this kind of thing though. You see similar commentary all over the internet.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By oraknabo

I think the only even half-sensible one is 2 and even then, I doubt Sony's going to put out many games that only owners of both systems can play.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dungbootle

You might want to remove that spoiler tag because that list is kinda too stupid for you to be saved otherwise.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I disagree with these points. I will buy a Wii U.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Ravenlight
    SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SexyToad

How about Zelda? or Pikmin? Sony and Microsoft don't have those. I am also wanting a new console Luigi's mansion so...

Avatar image for fearfulinsomniac
    FearfulInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FearfulInsomniac

Oh geez, I almost didn't catch that spoiler if it wasn't for dungbootle. I laughed afterward.

Also, I'm glad that Kotaku has an article about why I shouldn't by a console from a newspaper. Wow, I'm just baffled at that awful title.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By BeachThunder

I was going to rebut "your" arguments, but apparently this is just copy pasted crap from somewhere else, nevermind =|

tl;dr: no, I don't agree, those dot points are terrible and barely make any sense.

begilerath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By begilerath

Don't agree, here is why

1.- Contrary to popular belief I don't think there is going to be new consoles by next year. Maybe Microsoft but I doubt it. Also the current consoles base is huge, developers are not going to just loose all those potential sales so there is going to be a lot of content for the PS3/360/WiiU. Finally when a new generation arrives it takes a while for the games to actually look much better than current gen. So I give a good 2 to 3 years before it looks severely dated.

2.- Something that it's adapted to work in a certain way probably is not going to work as well as something that was designed from the ground up to do that. At least on terms of latency the WiiU seems a lot better than the PS3+Vita. Also probably just Sony is going to support that combo, why are developers going to waste money trying to adapt their game to something that is not a huge portion of the people who own that console.

3.- That doesn't even makes sense the WiiU is not a portable console

4.- Maybe, I have not tried the console myself so who knows

5.- There are people who buy a new Iphone every freaking year and that is around 300 US plus a 2 year contract. People have bought multiple 360 and PS3, because they have died on them or because a new model, color comes out, so the fact that is expensive is relative. About the games, the fact that you have to buy them is a "problem" with all the consoles. Also you can play your old Wii games and VC games so you don't necessarily have to buy games for it, but well that defeats the point of buying a new console.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AsperGamer

@Ravenlight said:

@AsperGamer:

Don't just copy and paste from Kotaku, duder. It makes you look bad and doesn't bring anything worthwhile to this site.

http://kotaku.com/5943833/five-reasons-not-to-buy-the-wii-u-from-a-reputable-british-newspaper

1) It'll be outdated within a year
    2) Vita masquerading as the GamePad
    3) The threat to all consoles - mobile gaming
    4) DS + Wii = fail?
    5) It's dramatically over-priced

I didn't even go to Kotaku (I never do), I got this from Wii U Daily and took the points with some paraphrased extra bits after them. It just shows the stupidity of Tabloid newspapers and that is the point.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wjb

I do what I want.

...something something one who knocks...

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Klaimore

I will be buying one, I like games and I like Nintendo.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BraveToaster

@AsperGamer said:

@Ravenlight said:

@AsperGamer:

Don't just copy and paste from Kotaku, duder. It makes you look bad and doesn't bring anything worthwhile to this site.

http://kotaku.com/5943833/five-reasons-not-to-buy-the-wii-u-from-a-reputable-british-newspaper

4) DS + Wii = fail?

I didn't even go to Kotaku (I never do), I got this from Wii U Daily and took the points with some paraphrased extra bits after them. It just shows the stupidity of Tabloid newspapers and that is the point.

But we already know that tabloid newspapers are stupid.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AsperGamer

@BraveToaster said:

@AsperGamer said:

@Ravenlight said:

@AsperGamer:

4) DS + Wii = fail?

But we already know that tabloid newspapers are stupid.

That is because most of us are intelligent gamers. Many readers of Tabloids are clearly not. Still, we should point and laugh at them as often as possible. Mirth is a powerful weapon!

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By yinstarrunner

NOBODY is better off buying a Vita. Ever.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheHumanDove

Lets be real. No one actually played their Wii after two months of use. BE REAL EVERYONE. ACCEPT THE TRUTH WITHIN YOUR HEARTS

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By toowalrus

You say it's going to be outdated next year but when Nintendo starts putting out first-party titles in 1080p they're still going to look great and- 

...wait, why even bother?

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By irrelevantjohn

My money, my rules bitches!

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I will buy a WiiU for the same reason ill buy a ps4 and 720....exclusives. where else can you get zelda, mario, metriod, donkey kong and a bunch of other exclusives. Also I get the ps4 and 720 will be more powerful but i disagree that the WiiU will be drastically outdated; I mean the WiiU looks as good as the ps3 now in its early stages now imagine how it will look 1 or 2 years from now. So yes I believe the better system will be decided based on who has more 3rd party support and the big N is looking like it has gotten to a fast start.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#20  Edited By psykhophear

@AsperGamer: You made some good points but however, Nintendo has exclusive IPs like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. and with those, consumers will be inclined to get their hands on the Wii U (like me). Also with the inclusion of HDMI support from the get go, which was what the Wii should've had in the first place, makes it even more enticing for gamers.

To be honest, these things are just too early to predict. The launch must come first before we give out any comments. I myself was skeptical of the Wii U from the very beginning but after seeing the latest video previews and interviews, I felt that my judgment could be wrong. I even doubted the PS Vita but now I'm regularly playing it.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DukesT3

I... just don't want one? I think thats a good enough reason. Maybe next spring.

mabber36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mabber36

wow, all of those points were awful

at this point, you are just making excuses NOT the buy the wiiu

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#23  Edited By StarvingGamer

Based on the fact that you felt the need to copypasta that waste of space and bring it to the GB forums, you're really no better than the person who wrote it originally. Actually, you might be worse.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By wmoyer83

I won't buy a Wii U....yet. After a year or two, yes. Gotta get that Nintendo exclusive library build up.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BionicRadd

weird. I only need 1 reason - I don't want one. At the end of the day, if the system looked interesting to me, none of the "reasons" listed would matter. For that matter, why I don't want one isn't included in that list of reasons, either, and I won't bother with it here. The Wii U will be a fine console that will be a great addition to the living rooms of Nintendo fans.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SmilingPig

Never bet against Nintendo.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AsperGamer

@TheHumanDove said:

Lets be real. No one actually played their Wii after two months of use. BE REAL EVERYONE. ACCEPT THE TRUTH WITHIN YOUR HEARTS

I looked in my heart and it now belongs to you. I am yours, take me!

@Psykhophear said:

@AsperGamer: You made some good points but however, Nintendo has exclusive IPs like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. and with those, consumers will be inclined to get their hands on the Wii U (like me). Also with the inclusion of HDMI support from the get go, which was what the Wii should've had in the first place, makes it even more enticing for gamers.

To be honest, these things are just too early to predict. The launch must come first before we give out any comments. I myself was skeptical of the Wii U from the very beginning but after seeing the latest video previews and interviews, I felt that my judgment could be wrong. I even doubted the PS Vita but now I'm regularly playing it.

Not my points. I think they are not well thought out at all. I can think of one good reason I am not pre-ordering Wii U and that is it does have a launch game I really want to play. I can think of at least 100 reasons why I will buy one later, starting with Monster Hunter and followed by Pikmin 3.

@mabber36 said:

wow, all of those points were awful

at this point, you are just making excuses NOT the buy the wiiu

Not me.

@StarvingGamer said:

Based on the fact that you felt the need to copypasta that waste of space and bring it to the GB forums, you're really no better than the person who wrote it originally. Actually, you might be worse.

Oh you. I actually typed those as they were part of a long news item on Wii U Daily and added paraphrasing. Sure, what is written by The Sun is a waste of space, agreed totally, however, it is a major publication and therefore worthy of discussion. Feel free not to discuss it.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@StarvingGamer said:

What's wrong with highlighting poor journalism, and more to the point, why do Giant Bomb members seem to have a problem with this?.

The Sun's journalism standards have been in question since their conception.

On another note, here's what Cliffy B has said regarding the Wii U:

Being raised on All Things Nintendo I will always I love all things Nintendo. I'll be watching the Wii U closely. I think Nintendo may have initially lost a little of their core with the Wii for a bit, honestly, and they seem to have realized this. I believe they also recognize that we live in a "multi-screen" culture hence the controller design. I played ZombiU at PAX and it was promising (even though the controls could use a little loving!) so we'll have to wait and see.

Epic Games once said the Wii was like a virus infecting the videogame industry, they've certainly changed their tune...I wonder why.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By DarthOrange

@IrrelevantJohn said:

Your money is irrelevant John!

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By irrelevantjohn

@DarthOrange said:

@IrrelevantJohn said:

Your money is irrelevant John!

So... this is how it feels to be "zinged".

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#31  Edited By Danteveli

I just love when people knowing nothing about the topic writes article.

I'm happy that press is dead so their opinion doesn't count. Who wants to listen to zombie?

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#32  Edited By TheMasterDS

@AsperGamer said:

1. The Wii U will be outdated in a year - Sony and Microsoft will bring out new consoles in a year.
    2. Vita masquerading as the GamePad - if you have a PS3, you are better off getting a Vita.
    3. The threat to all consoles: mobile gaming - the iPhone will kill it, but not the PS3 and 360.
    4. DS + Wii = fail - it is a bizarre middle ground between the Wii and DS that will not work.
    5. It’s dramatically over-priced - it is too expensive, plus you have to buy games for it.

You agree?

Oh, this isn't my view, it is from an article in the UK Sun. Quality publication obviously! It is what we have come to expect from a Tabloid newspaper. Amazing how many Hateboys, Fanboys, Trolls and Flamers will latch onto this kind of thing though. You see similar commentary all over the internet.

Let's see... 1 is sort of true, but then I don't buy Nintendo systems because they're top of the line because they're not. I buy them to buy Nintendo games. 2 is completely false however, you should never buy a Vita. Ironically it's in far more danger from mobile games than the Wii U, which brings me to the next point. No, Nintendo will make games for the Wii U and they're not going to make mobile games any time soon. 4th point's a little silly, never bet against Nintendo when they're doing something seemingly dumb! I don't care about 5, its price won't stop me from buying it. It's a new console price compounded that the controller isn't cheap to produce.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DystopiaX

"plus you have to buy games for it" is perhaps the funniest criticism I've ever heard about a gaming console.

Seriously, wtf.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AsperGamer said:
    The Wii U will be outdated in a year - Sony and Microsoft will bring out new consoles in a year.

I honestly think this is a major issue most Nintendo supporters don't want to deal with. While graphics aren't anything, there is precedence to assume that a weak console will kill third party development on it. For the first two years the Wii U should fare fine; most games on the PS4 and Xbox will be able to be ported over using the 360 and PS3 versions of games. Expect to see a relatively decent looking Watch_Dogs and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 4. The problem arises a few years in, when the easy ports aren't an option and making a separate version of the game to support weaker hardware will be too time and cost intensive for the return. That will kill your third party sales, and leave you with the same issue the Wii had - no fucking games. That's a BIG deal.

Vita masquerading as the GamePad - if you have a PS3, you are better off getting a Vita.

Meh. Sony and Microsoft are certainly going to follow their "me too" approach to what Nintendo's been doing. We already saw hint at Microsofts Surface-tablet remote app at E3; now we have the Vita thing as well. The harsh reality of it here is that it doesn't really matter. They will fall flat on their faces. I've still yet to see an accessory or control unit that wasn't bundled with the system that became well used. Nintendo is bringing their tablet controller right in the box, and unless Sony is bundling a Vita with every PS4, it will be nothing but an inferior novelty.

The threat to all consoles: mobile gaming - the iPhone will kill it, but not the PS3 and 360.

How is mobile gaming a threat to all consoles, but the PS3 and 360 survive? The only systems that are being threatened by mobile gaming are handhelds. Nobody that was going to pay $350 for a system already is going to stop and change their mind because they saw Fart Cat was an iOS exclusive.

DS + Wii = fail - it is a bizarre middle ground between the Wii and DS that will not work.

I don't see how combining two wildly successful devices would be an instant fail.

It’s dramatically over-priced - it is too expensive, plus you have to buy games for it.

It's what, $350? The first Wii was $250, while the 360 sold at $399. Now, adjusting for the rate of inflation, the Wii would cost $285.70 today. so you are only paying around $64 dollars more, for what is probably a $100 in value accessory. Cry me a fucking river.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By BoOzak

Five reasons to buy a Wii-U

1. Pikmin 3
    2. Metroid Prime 4!
    3. Bayonetta 2
    4. Wonderful 101
    5. Mario game that is not "new" and has a 3rd dimension that isnt stereoscopic. 64!!

To be honest this seems surprisingly well informed coming from The Sun, still as bias and shameless as always though.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@AsperGamer said:

You agree?

I'm very hesitant about the Wii U, but your arguments aren't very good.

1. We don't know what Sony and Microsoft are planning. Their consoles could be years off and when they do come, we don't know what they'll be capable of. They might go a similar route and introduce some new gimmick, rather than just being more powerful. Taking the wait and see approach might be a good idea, but you can't just assume Microsoft and Sony's will be better.

2. This is true, to a degree, but similar things were said about the PS2 and PSP link up feature and Sony never took advantage of cross compatibility. I doubt they will with the Vita either, when we start seeing games that can use the Vita in the same way as the Wii's gamepad, fair enough.

3. Surely smart phones are more likely to kill the Vita than an actual console? The tablet controller isn't meant to be portable, it's used in conjunction with your TV. Some games being able to be played on the screen in another room is a minor feature at best and has limited range. If you think smartphones will kill all consoles, why bother waiting for the next Playstation and Xbox? Might as well grab an iPhone and build a new PC.

4. The DS and Wii were massive successes, whether you liked them or not. Claiming it "will not work" is pure conjecture, not a reason to avoid a purchase. People did say the same thing about the DS and Wii and they were left with egg on their face.

5. It doesn't seem that expensive. It's new tech and not much more expensive than what you're paying for the 360 or PS3 at the moment, plus it's coming with a rather fancy tablet controller. I'd recommend not buying one this year just because there won't be many games until well into next year, by which point there might be a price drop.

If you think MS and Sony's new systems will really be so much better, they'll have to be at least as expensive as the top range model here. And last I checked, having to buy games was an issue with most systems.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Vonocourt

@AsperGamer said:

It’s dramatically over-priced - it is too expensive, plus you have to buy games for it.

Naw, I have to buy games for it. Fuck, it's not like that has been the modus operandi since like...forever.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#38  Edited By Soap

As someone who hated the original Wii with a burning passion, is bored of new super mario bros and thinks Zelda peaked and Wind Waker, I have zero reasons to get a WiiU. They may surprise me and bring me back... but I doubt it.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@Snail: The reasons were taken from a recent Sun article, these are not the OP's views.

@DystopiaX said:

"plus you have to buy games for it" is perhaps the funniest criticism I've ever heard about a gaming console.

Seriously, wtf.

lol, same here. It will never be topped, it's impossible.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By benjaebe

There's one reason to buy or not to buy a WiiU, or any console for that matter: it has games you want to play on it. And that's the only justification I'll ever need. I'll buy a WiiU so I can play Nintendo's games, just like I bought a PS3 to play Sony's exclusive IPs and an Xbox to play Microsofts. If you buy a console just because it's new, chances are you're going to be disappointed. Buy it if games you want to play are going to be on it.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

1. It doesn't look interesting to me.

That is all.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By Snail

@Wong_Fei_Hung: You're right that's totally in the first post. I guess that's what being sleep deprived does to you.

AsperGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AsperGamer

@DystopiaX said:

Seriously, wtf.

@Vonocourt said:

@AsperGamer said:

Naw, I have to buy games for it. Fuck, it's not like that has been the modus operandi since like...forever.

Of all the journalistic writings, surely this would go down as the most stupid comment ever. He should work at Fox News as he already has achieved their level of "cough" journalism.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By BonOrbitz

@BeachThunder said:

I was going to rebut "your" arguments, but apparently this is just copy pasted crap from somewhere else, nevermind =|

tl;dr: no, I don't agree, those dot points are terrible and barely make any sense.

...and it's from the UK Sun which is my #1 rebute.

@TheHumanDove said:

That's the dumbest statement I've read so far today, but it's only 10am my time and I've got the day ahead of me.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Rafaelfc

the only reason NOT to buy a wii U at this moment is the lacking lineup of launch titles.

the console seems like an interesting idea, hopefully developers will figure out how to make it awesome

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By huntad

I prefer my reason. I don't want one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.