Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Wii U sells 179K Software Units over 6 Months in UK

• 77 results
    Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Branwulf

Yeah I just saw that ASDA dropped it for my 3DS space, that thing is tanking hard.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As a 3DS owner, all I can do is shake my head at this news. Nintendo fucked up big time.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Darji

Nintendo shipped 160K Units worldwide from April to June.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130731e.pdf

90k from Japan

60k from North America

10k from Other ( That includes Europe)

Maybe it is time to give up on the Wii U Nintendo. And Iwata needs to go.

Also 3Ds is pretty disappointing as well.

April - June 2013 (April - June 2012)

Japan - 640,000 (920,000)

Americas - 360,000 (420,000)

Europe - 400,000 (530,000)

Total - 1,400,000 (1,860,000)

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Yeah, they could release six Zelda games and I don't think even that would be enough to salvage this (unfortunate) shit show. I mean, they would have to completely relaunch this thing with a new, less confusing name. Maybe just give up on it completely and focus entirely on the 3DS.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh heh heh

One step closer to Nintendo going software only

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oof. That drop from Asda is the roughest thing I've seen as far as the Wii U is concerned. They seem to have some good games in development. Hopefully they can hang on until they come out...

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oraknabo said:

Just wait until the next Zelda game comes out. They will sell a few consoles.

You mean that Zelda game everyone and their grandmother played in 2003?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Smash and Mario Kart will help, but sadly they aren't coming till next year.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjor64 said:

They will not really help much though. These games can sell if the install base or attraction is high enough but not like this.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

In other news: New Super Luigi U is really great you guys. The way they have hidden the stars and secret exits are all extremely clever and I have spent upwards of 30 minutes in some levels trying to find that last thing within the time limit. You duders should check it out.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

"Last month Nintendo's top designer Shigeru Miyamoto admitted software developers had struggled with the hardware leap"

Hardware leap? LEAP?! I don't know, if they are having troubles with the "leap" from Wii to WiiU then I'm not sure if they can manage as a software company either. Maybe they should hire Mark Cerny as an advisor.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@darji said:

@jjor64 said:

They will not really help much though. These games can sell if the install base or attraction is high enough but not like this.

Games can and always will sell the system, especially Nintendo games. Continuing these "Nintendo is doomed" topics seems pretty pointless, until later this year. They're in a bad state, yeah, but that's obviously not going to change over night. If it continues after they've actually released some software on the machine, then it's time to worry.

You also left out the part that, despite the incredibly poor Wii U sales, they're actually still turning a rather large profit, thanks to the 3DS.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Darji

@wintersnowblind said:

@darji said:

@jjor64 said:

Games can and always will sell the system, especially Nintendo games. Continuing these "Nintendo is doomed" topics seems pretty pointless, until later this year. They're in a bad state, yeah, but that's obviously not going to change over night. If it continues after they've actually released some software on the machine, then it's time to worry.

You also left out the part that, despite the incredibly poor Wii U sales, they're actually still turning a rather large profit, thanks to the 3DS.

Because that is not the topic. Also have you seen their hardware predictions? They are out of this world. For example they sold 1.4 million 3Ds and expect to sell 18 million until the end of March 2014. And for the Wii U they expect to sell like 9 million even they sold in the first 4 month 160K units. Nintendo is insane right now. This will never happen on both sides.

The Wii U has a much bigger problem than no games. No one really knows what the Wii U is. Most casual people stiill think it is an controller for the Wii.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Mcfart

Yup, someone was high when they came up with that name.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#65  Edited By TechHits

I would buy a wii U if it was about 100$ cheaper. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that this and the ps4 will be close to the same price.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

"Last month Nintendo's top designer Shigeru Miyamoto admitted software developers had struggled with the hardware leap"

Hardware leap? LEAP?! I don't know, if they are having troubles with the "leap" from Wii to WiiU then I'm not sure if they can manage as a software company either. Maybe they should hire Mark Cerny as an advisor.

They've been working on more or less the same hardware platform for 12 years, not hard to see why their skills at adapting are rusty as hell.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Darji

@techhits said:

I would buy a wii U if it was about 100$ cheaper. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that this and the ps4 will be close to the same price.

If you live in Europe here is your chance^^

Basic: €169.99

Premium: €219.99

http://www.amazon.it/Nintendo-Wii-Console-Premium-Black/dp/B009AINM4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375270100&sr=8-1&keywords=wii%20u&tag=vglnkitc1148-21

In New Zealand it dropped to $199 for premium including tax (US$149 ish), and NZ$149 for basic

And nobody will buy it there anyway XD

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't resist the £149 price that amazon have been offering recently in the UK, especially as I had amazon vouchers to spend. Been having a lot of fun with the system, but yeah, this thing needs good games to come out for it pretty damn soon.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I can't see where they go from here.

They either release an amazing new successor to the WII with fantastic marketing and somehow integrate or pretend the Wii U never existed.

Or they go the way of Sega.

Man i see a list of Nintendo games nowdays and it's just like, oh..again? No.

They need to hire some talent and build some fresh new IP, reinvent the whole Disney image with some new fucking characters or something. I mean isn't skylanders and the disney thing like what Nintendo is supposed to be? I'm guessing that's where their young market is right now.

Meanwhile the casual market are all screwing around playing F2P phone apps.

and as far as the oldies, i'm sure that they will be happy enough with the Wii until they die.

There's no one left but the grubby man child hardcore, half of which are still pissy about being abandoned during the Wii's success.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Ouch. Makes things look pretty bad. This holiday I'll be getting a PS4 and perhaps an Xbox One. Was thinking that I'd eventually get a Wii U some day, but when? Probably when a new Zelda game comes out for it, but by then it just might be too late.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don't get the point of it, at least the wii was sorta novel this just has an over priced touch screen in the controller and plays last gen games.

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Rokkaku

I live in the UK and, honestly, if I didn't follow games I probably wouldn't know that the thing existed. There is practically no marketing push at all that I've seen, except for Nintendo randomly sponsoring the coverage of the Tour De France with the Wii U, which is a niche sporting event on a niche channel. I don't know what they expect to happen, but their efforts so far aren't ever going to amount to much.

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in the UK and, honestly, if I didn't follow games I probably wouldn't know that the thing existed. There is practically no marketing push at all that I've seen, except for Nintendo randomly sponsoring the coverage of the Tour De France with the Wii U, which is a niche sporting event on a niche channel. I don't know what they expect to happen, but their efforts so far aren't ever going to amount to much.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@oraknabo said:

Just wait until the next Zelda game comes out. They will sell a few consoles.

You mean that Zelda game everyone and their grandmother played in 2003?

No, I meant an original one, not Wind Waker.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr: I think that they would go handheld only, before going software only/

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

Considering the actual stats put out by Nintendo, the Wii U did much much worse in the UK then the graph estimated.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

@professoress said:
    @extomar said:

"launch window"

"Launch Window" is my new favourite bullshit :)

We may still be in the WiiU "launch window"...who knows? :)

No :)

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@techhits said:

If you live in Europe here is your chance^^

Basic: €169.99

Premium: €219.99

http://www.amazon.it/Nintendo-Wii-Console-Premium-Black/dp/B009AINM4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375270100&sr=8-1&keywords=wii%20u&tag=vglnkitc1148-21

In New Zealand it dropped to $199 for premium including tax (US$149 ish), and NZ$149 for basic

And nobody will buy it there anyway XD

I wonder how cheap I could import it for, the shipping would probably negate the savings.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.