Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Wii U Won't Support DVDs or Blu-rays

• 189 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex
    How am I supposed to watch this imaginary Blu-ray release of Super Mario Bros. that absolutely doesn't, and should never, ever exist?
    How am I supposed to watch this imaginary Blu-ray release of Super Mario Bros. that absolutely doesn't, and should never, ever exist?

In attempting to merge the hardcore and casual audiences with its new console, Nintendo apparently has little interest in appeasing the movie-watching segments of either of those audiences.

Speaking to investors at E3, Satoru Iwata was asked about the Wii U's capabilities as a playback device for Sony's Blu-ray format, as well as standard DVDs. Iwata's answer left little room for interpretation, as he flatly stated that the Wii U would not support either format.

Iwata's reasoning was that Nintendo believes most people already have relevant players for the favored movie format. Licensing the necessary technology patents to support either format would have ultimately proved too costly.

In this regard, Iwata is probably correct. You can buy a DVD player for less than a tank of gas these days, and while Blu-ray players are a bit less common, it seems unlikely Nintendo would leap at the opportunity to pay a direct competitor licensing fees for what will ultimately amount to ancillary technology for the console. If nothing else, this does appear to signal that Nintendo is looking for ways to ensure its console remains cost-friendly to consumers, even if that means taking some potentially sexy bullet points off the box.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

In attempting to merge the hardcore and casual audiences with its new console, Nintendo apparently has little interest in appeasing the movie-watching segments of either of those audiences.

Speaking to investors at E3, Satoru Iwata was asked about the Wii U's capabilities as a playback device for Sony's Blu-ray format, as well as standard DVDs. Iwata's answer left little room for interpretation, as he flatly stated that the Wii U would not support either format.

Iwata's reasoning was that Nintendo believes most people already have relevant players for the favored movie format. Licensing the necessary technology patents to support either format would have ultimately proved too costly.

In this regard, Iwata is probably correct. You can buy a DVD player for less than a tank of gas these days, and while Blu-ray players are a bit less common, it seems unlikely Nintendo would leap at the opportunity to pay a direct competitor licensing fees for what will ultimately amount to ancillary technology for the console. If nothing else, this does appear to signal that Nintendo is looking for ways to ensure its console remains cost-friendly to consumers, even if that means taking some potentially sexy bullet points off the box.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Chummy8

Way to BE, Wii. 

Also, FINALLY!

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By RobotHamster

I'm actually not surprised...

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MysteriousBob

I don't get it. The Wii CAN play DVDs with homebrew software. I... why not include it as a standard feature? Its baffling.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By lockwoodx

People still use physical media?

shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By shadyspace
    Nintendo apparently has little interest in appeasing the movie-watching segments of either of those audiences.

Really, Alex? I guess HD Netflix is no longer a thing. I don't even know anyone with a Blu-Ray player besides those with a PS3 (and they barely own any discs, at that). You know as well as I do that film consumption is increasingly going to the cloud, if the majority of such isn't already there.

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By niall_sg1

Well it makes sense. I have something like 12 machines in my house that can play DVD's and two that can play Blu-Ray. I'm fine with the Wii U not having a DVD/Blu-Ray player. Though it doesn't mean I'm getting a Wii U. 

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By nintendoeats

Ok, that makes sense. I'm alright with it.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Wuddel

Baffling. Consider that you know rather developed places like "Europe", still do not have widespread streaming services like Netflix. Physical media still matter!

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dany

too costly? gah, nintendo clearly doesn't have any desires to topple Xbox or Playstation or even come on par.

Lighting won't strike twice, i guarantee it.

drthepunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By drthepunisher

I was going to say that was a terrible decision. But I didn't remember that BluRay is Sony's tech. I wouldn't want to pay Sony anything either if I'm competing with them.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NekuCTR

Spend millions of dollars on stupid looking controllers that you are bound to have to sell at a loss, and this is what you get.

caryrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By caryrabbit
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By valrog

"Well, whoopie whoop."

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dalai

Netflix has been confirmed for Wii U so it's not a big deal. Of course I didn't think it was a big deal when the Wii had no DVD playback way back when.

ExplodingTuba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ExplodingTuba

Not surprised in the slightest.

Oginam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Oginam

Nintendo is still Nintendo.

And I just don't care anymore.

Less controller "innovation" (duct taping shit together) and more quality games/new franchises please.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kjellm87

Not a problem.

waypoetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By waypoetic

In 3... 2... 1... Here come's Klepeck with his Nintendo love! Backing up all that bullshit Nintendo puts out since forever. 

prencher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By prencher

@MysteriousBob: Licensing fees.

sensory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sensory

It's not only about being able to play Blu-ray MOVIES, but having a Blu-ray drive would allow larger games to fit on one disc instead of two or three. I already own a current-gen system (Xbox 360) and if I were to even consider forking out money for this "new" (5 year old) system that I can't play my old current-gen games on, the least it would have to have is a Blu-ray drive.

What's the word on online capabilities?

cbirdsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By cbirdsong

@caryrabbit: @MysteriousBob: It could be physically able to play DVDs/Blurays, but not have the license to do so. This is how it is with the Wii. That DVD drive does not include the license to play DVD videos, just read DVD discs.

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bgrngod

Seems like a no brainer to not have it.  Why have the added cost for something that is virtually pointless?

Avatar image for iichristian89ii
    IIChristian89II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IIChristian89II

im not getting a wii u but i can see why this would be a bother to some people. I generally use hard drives or streaming to watch movies and stuff. Id only then by the hard copy if i really enjoyed it it so i could keep watching.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By demonbear

I'm ok with that. Last time was worse. They said dvd playback would be patched in the Wii after launch and to my knowledge, that did not happen. At least this time its all upfront, loud and clear.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Cameron

@shadyspace:

You have to keep in mind that Netflix is pretty much a US only thing. Sure, it exists in Canada, but due to licensing restrictions it is an empty shell of the US service. That leaves all of Europe and Japan, their other two major markets, without Netflix.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dalai said:

Netflix has been confirmed for Wii U so it's not a big deal. Of course I didn't think it was a big deal when the Wii had no DVD playback way back when.

Netflix isn't available in most countries, FYI.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

It'll totally play your copy of Jack Black's King Kong on HD-DVD though.

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Colin
    @Dalai said:

What about the rest of the world that doesn't have Netflix? :\
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DeF

@Dalai said:

yup, Netflix has been confirmed and from what I hear on podcasts, that's what people mostly use in the US anyway. Since everybody already has a 360, PS3, DVD Player or even a PS2 sitting around, there should be plenty opportunity to watch DVDs.

In Europe, there is no Netflix so that's a bit different for us. However, I don't think we have any more trouble finding a playback devide for DVD/BD than people elsewhere.

The one thing that would've been cool though was that if someone was watching TV, you could've put a DVD/BD in your Wii U and watch it on the controller screen (suitable for something like comedies or TV shows). I hope it supports local streaming though.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Don't care tbh

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By bonbolapti

Look it makes fucking sense, If you don't have a DVD/BLUERAY player by now, why the fuck are you buying a Wii U for it?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By Claude

I like to play video games.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kjellm87
    @Claude said:

I like to play video games.

This, I never understood why it have to be a media-machine, when I buy a console I want to to play goddam games.
    CyleMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By CyleMoore

I know it shouldn't matter but for some reason it kind of bothers me.  Oh well I'll get over it.

Sekoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By Sekoku

And the Wii 2 failtrain continues. Who honestly is hyped for this after the numerous screw-ups Nintendo has done through the ages. They don't "get it" when it comes to what most people want out of the console.

Shame, really. As they do have some interesting tech, but after the lackluster games on the original one, I'm not buying a 2.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Beaudacious

This is a really bad call on nintendo's side, to have this console widely accepted they need to sweeten the pot on every angle. To get ps3 users on a wii u, bluray could of been a bullet point that would justify a purchase it if people already have bluray collections. Microsoft also is starting to understand the up side of addressing multiple markets, stealing apple tv, or boxee users for xbox 360. Who in turn then have a a much larger chance of joining the Microsoft gaming market now. Gaming systems aren't only gaming machines anymore they're multimedia hubs now, if Nintendo wants to narrow its mid-cycle market even further then power to them. Why would i buy a wii u when i can play all the games that will be ported to it earlier, and also watch dvd's or bluray's when that occasion would arise on one device? Physical media is still going to be around for a long time, downloading 25gb games on a ps3, or even just 8gb on an xbox isn't rocketing off till internet infrastructure is heavily overhauled in north America.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Romination

This might hurt the Wii U a lot. Set top boxes, people, and if the Wii U can't be one, there's almost no way it'll really succeed.

and while I agree with Iwata, it might be a bit hurty for the sales.

rustyspoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By rustyspoon

What's that? A gaming console that only plays games? Oh, the humanity!

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Nocall

Makes sense to me.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Vexxan

Oh Nintendo...

Guess it's not too much to be upset about, haven't bought a DVD or Blu-ray disc for years...

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#43  Edited By zor

Damn, i would have liked it to have the ability to play dvds... meh, i still have like 5 other things that do, but yeah, it would have been nice if the Wii U could be include in that list.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By penguindust

A new DVD player costs less than a single trip to the movies for a family of four (or one couple seeing a film in 3D).  Not a loss as far as I am concerned, although I would have liked a back-up Blu-ray in case my PS3 conks out.

Skooky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Skooky

Let's all pretend this matters.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JazGalaxy
    @Romination said:

This might hurt the Wii U a lot. Set top boxes, people, and if the Wii U can't be one, there's almost no way it'll really succeed.

and while I agree with Iwata, it might be a bit hurty for the sales.

Set Top Boxes were never a technology that made any sense. The Xbox is the closest we'll ever get to that technology. Now more than ever, people are going to do that kind of thing with tablets.
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#47  Edited By Little_Socrates

Not exactly a dealbreaker.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

HD-DVD. ^^

Ub3rSlug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ub3rSlug

I wonder how much of this is a response (if at all) to piracy on the Wii.

If the WIi U uses a proprietary disc format, it'll be hard for someone to rip discs to put up on the internet and even harder for someone looking to burn it onto a blank Wii U disc, which probably wont even be sold to the public.

Jiquk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jiquk

Wow, A games console set to be released in 2012 that doesn't support Blu-ray or even DVD films. Poor show Nintendo. Poor show indeed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.