Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Iwata Apologizes for Bad E3

• 52 results
    Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mushir

Here's the link:

"If there is any perception that Nintendo is ignoring the core gamers, it's a misunderstanding and we really want to get rid of that misunderstanding by any means," Iwata said. "We are sorry about [the E3] media briefings, specifically for those who were expecting to see Nintendo show something about 'Super Mario' or 'Legend of Zelda.' However, the fact of the matter is the so-called 'big titles' need a long, long development period. ... We really didn't think this year's E3 media briefing was the time to do so."

Thoughts?
    theycallmeryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By theycallmeryan

Don't apologize, just make more hardcore games.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Mushir

Yea man. They are working on a new Mario and Zelda game. Can't believe people wanted a new Mario game this E3. Galaxy game out like 8 months ago!

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By raahsnavj

So in short... Games like Zelda or Mario are so far out, we didn't feel like showing something that probably won't show up until after next years E3...

I'll keep that in mind when I look forward to Wii games that don't suck.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By epic_pets

Animal crossing was enough for me.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Black_Rose

Don't apologize, show something

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By ElectricHaggis

They could have at least put up a logo for Zelda or something. 

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
    griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I dont think at no point that nintendo ever stops developing their Zelda and Mario games, but I dont buy what Iwata says exactly, I think Nintendo is about to turn a corner where they will leave us core gamers for the casuals. Just look at how much wii play sold compared to twilight princess, and how much time and money was used to make wii play, compared to twilight princess, I hope I am wrong but I think it is a possibility. That some time in the future Nintendo will stop making Zelda and Mario games.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By DarkLegend

Much talking but no working.

Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Foil_Charizard

How could anyone think they were ignoring core gamers!! They have GTA CHINATOWN WARS!!!
    You guys are insane.

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Foil_Charizard said:
    "How could anyone think they were ignoring core gamers!! They have GTA CHINATOWN WARS!!!
    You guys are insane.
    "
    One game and it isnt first party.
    griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Foil_Charizard said:
    "How could anyone think they were ignoring core gamers!! They have GTA CHINATOWN WARS!!!
    You guys are insane.
    "
    Ok, I retract my statement. How will GTA in 3d work on a DS anyway? beacause if it is 2d it will be trash * looks back at original GTA* *shudders*
    Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Foil_Charizard
    griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terra1909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Terra1909

How about some new franchises? Isn't anyone a little sick of the same mario, zelda, mario kart, etc. It's like every platform they put out gets one of each (maybe two). Then they move on to the next and repeat. At least the Game Cube got a couple new properties in Pikmin and Animal Crossing. When is the Wii gonna get something new?

griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there is a new franchise, the whole wii*insert random thing here* franchise.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Otacon

Pikmin and Animal Crossing are works of genius. We need new ideas this gen too.(despite AC being originally made for the N64)

Terra1909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Terra1909

"there is a new franchise, the whole wii*insert random thing here* franchise."

Wow, mini game collections.....great.

I'm not trying to be a hater--I love Nintendo--I just want to see them (and third parties) pump out some more great, original, and complete games.

griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

iplaygames said:
    ""there is a new franchise, the whole wii*insert random thing here* franchise."

Wow, mini game collections.....great.

I'm not trying to be a hater--I love Nintendo--I just want to see them (and third parties) pump out some more great, original, and complete games."
    I know its not much but it makes them so much money that I dont think Nintendo need to create a new franchise, but third party would be great if they only stop porting over those damn ps2 games to the Wii, then we might have something.
    Terra1909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Terra1909

"I know its not much but it makes them so much money that I dont think Nintendo need to create a new franchise"

I think that's EXACTLY what drives people nuts. They're making so much money now that they think the don't need new stuff, but in reality a lot of their games feel like rehashes. Didn't they kind of admit that with Zelda?

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By LightYagami245
    theycallmeryan said:
    "Don't apologize, just make more hardcore games.
    "
    I couldn't agree more. They need more hardcore games, so instead of taking time to apologize, apologize by using that time to make more hardcore games.
    kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By kenzo287

well at least he's taking responsibility

griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twilight princess was a rehash I agree but I see TP as pure fanservice and it was basically Ocarina Of Time with better graphics. Wind Waker felt fresh and I think that it proved just how little tinkering the zelda formula needs to feel fresh again.
    There are some things you just cant change, would you imagine a zelda game without temples? that wouldnt work very well, same with the combat system because then it wouldnt be zelda anymore it would be something different. But about rehashes its funny because that is exactly was built for to not be another generic *shooter console* it is supposed to feel as something unique and something that would blow us away, and mario galaxy did that I think, and seeing as TP was a gamecube port I am confident taht the next Zelda will feel fresh and I hope for the love of god that they use the wiimote better than in TP.

synt4x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By synt4x
    griefersstolemykeyboard said:
    "I dont think at no point that nintendo ever stops developing their Zelda and Mario games, but I dont buy what Iwata says exactly, I think Nintendo is about to turn a corner where they will leave us core gamers for the casuals. Just look at how much wii play sold compared to twilight princess, and how much time and money was used to make wii play, compared to twilight princess, I hope I am wrong but I think it is a possibility. That some time in the future Nintendo will stop making Zelda and Mario games."
    No that'll never happen. Perhaps those games will evolve into something more casual-friendly, but they wont stop making them.
    Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Knives

You guys need to relax. Am I the only one who thinks Wii Sports: Resort is going to be awesome?

vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vaultboy
    griefersstolemykeyboard said:
    "There are some things you just cant change, would you imagine a zelda game without temples? that wouldnt work very well, same with the combat system because then it wouldnt be zelda anymore it would be something different."
    I'm a firm believer that a Zelda Sheik (Shiek?) spin-off with stealth play would be awesome.  Obviously, it would play out during the events of OOT, so that ship might have sailed.  But, it'd be a nice way for Nintendo to bring a new style of gameplay to the Zelda universe.  Thinking about it though, the fanboys would eat it up if it shipped with a copy of OOT that had updated graphics.
    vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vaultboy
    Knives said:
    "You guys need to relax. Am I the only one who thinks Wii Sports: Resort is going to be awesome?"
    I think it'll likely turn out pretty good.  I just hope we don't end up with semi-broken games like boxing and golf were.  Boxing was terrible, and while golf was playable it wasn't exactly up to par.
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#28  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

While I can sympathize with those of you saying they shouldn't apologize but instead they should be making hardcore games, Miyamoto himself said that hardcore games are being made but they just aren't in the correct state to be shown right now.  This apology is exactly what I needed as a fan of Nintendo.

NotaStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NotaStalker

I dont care what they do, I buy what I like and don't buy what i dislike

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Shadow

their press conference was by far the worst one......DJ Robbie Drums.....yeah....nuff said.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mourne

Their E3 presentation could have used some work, as it really did completely alienate the core gaming crowd (aka--the people that would be watching). It seemed to me like the entire thing was set up so they could show highlights on CNN Headline News in the morning.

tpa151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By tpa151

They need to find a balance between casual games and the more hardcore "video games".  E3 seemed too much on the former while completely ignoring the latter.  This was a mistake because they both feed the other and without one Nintendo risks falling out of favor.  The Wii* games come eerily close to being cheap gimmicks you could buy at Target, but what makes them more legitimate is that they're branded with the name of a company that is known as the best "real" video game developers in the world. 

Happy_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Happy_Cloud

He should really be apologizing for the Nintendo's pathetic summer line-up.

ReLoaDeD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ReLoaDeD
    theycallmeryan said:
    "
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    FrozenVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FrozenVX

Maybe it should have been somewhat obvious that they didn't have any "hardcore" games to show to them before they presented at E3. I don't remember them even mentioning during their press conference that anything like a new Zelda or Mario are even in the works. It was Miyamoto who later said that the teams were at work.

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By timeshero
    raahsnavj said:
    "So in short... Games like Zelda or Mario are so far out, we didn't feel like showing something that probably won't show up until after next years E3...
    That is pretty much what he meant.  Remember what happened with twilight princess?  Delay, after delay, and then they put it on the next console!
    MforMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MforMaverick

What Nintendo needs to do is.....JUST GROW UP!!! It's time for a change. I understand that casual gamers at this point and time are giving them the most money. What they are doing is a very smart business plan. But at the same time Nintendo just can't forget about their hardcore games....or should I say gamers that have been with them since the 80's (which most of them are at least over 17 now). They should see clearly that the industry isn't how it use to be.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Colonel_Cool

SMG has already been out for like 8 months, and Twilight Princess has been out for almost 2 years! Sure, games take a while to develop, but Nintendo's developers need to get started on a new project when they are finished with old ones! They have had plenty of time to at least announce any new projects and maybe show a little bit of the work they've done.

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
    deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

LightYagami245 said:
    "theycallmeryan said:
    "
    I couldn't agree more. They need more hardcore games, so instead of taking time to apologize, apologize by using that time to make more hardcore games.
    "
    As we all know actions speak louder than words. So far we haven't been getting much of either from Nintendo.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Systech

It's okay Iwata, I'll forgive you... when you give me what I want.

FrozenVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FrozenVX
    Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    "While I can sympathize with those of you saying they shouldn't apologize but instead they should be making hardcore games, Miyamoto himself said that hardcore games are being made but they just aren't in the correct state to be shown right now.  This apology is exactly what I needed as a fan of Nintendo.
    "
    This guy speaks the truth! As long as there is still hope, I'm not dissappointed.
    gamerkc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By gamerkc

Nintendo is starting to disappoint me. I agree with what's been said, I can feel Nintendo leaving core gamers altogether for this new "casual gamer" era.

I also agree that Mario, Zelda, and these same old franchises are really starting to get old. Pikmin and Animal Crossing were great, wonderful new games that both got sequels. Why can't Nintendo invest their time into something new? A NEW masterpiece would rule. I'm getting to the point where I'm really not looking forward to more Mario and Zelda.

And if this new franchise is really "Wii ____" then I might as well give up hope. It's gonna be another Mario Party nightmare, with way too many games that people really just don't want. Only the "people" will be core gamers...

DeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DeeJay

No need to apologize...just dont let it happen again >_>

Earthbounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Earthbounder

I agree with him. I think people overreacted after Nintendo`s conference. The Wii has been out for less than two years and we already have Metroid, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros and even a Zelda game, despite the fact that I consider Twilight Princess to be a port. But we got pretty decent support from Nintendo so far and they are still producing another Mario game, more Zelda titles and they are about to release an amazing Wario Land. I think we should complain with third-parties since only a couple of them are actually trying to develop something good for the Wii. Nintendo is doing fine.

Sparkcil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sparkcil
    Damn, it won't let me remove this box!
    Nintendo almost never stops developing their Mario or Zelda games. Do you honestly think that you know about everything that goes on at Nintendo? Of course not! They are always working on it, but they are doing the opposite of what they did with Super Smash Bros. Brawl. What was that?

They released Brawl way too early. If you know anything about Nintendo, you know that.
    And I mean really, way too early. It's not like it was delayed a few weeks.. It was delayed more than once, which covered up the course of several months!

This does a number of things..
    Mainly, it builds up too much hype about the game, causing it to bomb when it does finally get released, no matter how good it is. In my opinion, SSBB is still an amazing game, but even I know that during that extended period of waiting [of agony], that I overhyped it, and it could have been just a tad more enjoyable if I didn't .
    This also causes lots of pestering to the company (questions, interviews, fanmail, etc.) regarding the game. They don't want that! They want to finish the freaking game! Leave them alone, and let them come out when they want!

Now, regarding the "soft-core" games that are being made. Nintendo has been doing this for just as long as they have been making hard-core games, but how about Wii look at it this way for a second...

Placing Wii Sports and Wii Play out of the question (Wii Sports is bundled everywhere but Japan; I'd like to type more about Wii Play, but I have no time. The only reason people buy it in the long run is because it is only $10 more than the Wii Mote itself, and you get "9" games..), lets look at some of the bestselling Wii games by Nintendo.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 4.52 million
    Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree - 2.26 million
    WarioWare: Smooth Moves - 1.82 million
    Mario Strikers Charged - 1.77 million **I know it's not developed by Nintendo. But give me a break...
    Link's Crossbow Training - 1.71 million
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 1.31 million

You may have noticed that I've left out a few games. This is for a couple reasons: they can be played by both relaxed gamers and hardcore ones (continue reading!), and there are not enough soft-core games to compare them to.

Lets sort the games into hard-core and soft-core.

LoZ:TP ------------------ BBA:WD
    MSC --------------------- WW:SM
    MP3:C ------------------- LCT
    7.6 m --------------------- 5.79 m

Now, this is just my opinion, and except for the facts, all of this is just my opinion, but I think that LoZ:TP, MSC, and MP3:C would take a lot more time, money, and people to make than BBA:WD, WW:SM, and especially LCT.
    For what? Not very many more sales..

[at this point I've been typing for a while and my thought waves are getting all tangled up, please forgive]

So what does nintendo do? They make firm-core games.

Super Mario Galaxy - 6.1 million
    Mario Party 8 - 4.86 million
    Wii Fit - 3.0677 million
    Mario Kart Wii - 2.704 million
    Super Paper Mario - 2.28 million

These are games that have stuff for both the experienced and the new games. It brings together oldbies and newbies. Isn't that one of the things that's great about the Wii; bringing people together?

Now I just sound cheesy. Lets end it at that.
    WolfODonnell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WolfODonnell

I'm personally glad he apologised, at least it shows Nintendo listen after a crap E3.

VaultBoy
    said:

"griefersstolemykeyboard said:
    "There are some things you just cant change, would you imagine a zelda game without temples? that wouldnt work very well, same with the combat system because then it wouldnt be zelda anymore it would be something different."
    I'm a firm believer that a Zelda Sheik (Shiek?) spin-off with stealth play would be awesome.  Obviously, it would play out during the events of OOT, so that ship might have sailed.  But, it'd be a nice way for Nintendo to bring a new style of gameplay to the Zelda universe.  Thinking about it though, the fanboys would eat it up if it shipped with a copy of OOT that had updated graphics.
    "
    And omfg that'd be awesome :D
    FoxMcCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FoxMcCloud

Ah finally somebody from Nintendo who actually tells us something we need to know.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Cube

It's a better response than what Reggie said. But I guess having time to carefully craft an apology is a lot easier than being put on the spot right after the conference.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By keyhunter

They need to find a balance between games that don't suck.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

hmm..I'm sorry you're sorry?

idk how to respond to that >.>

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.