Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

My Dumb Luck

Terrents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Terrents

So recently my nephew broke my Wii's censor bar. I'm not sure how he did it but it must have fallen and the cord must have gotten pulled. I'm sure i could easily get it replaced; however I really could care less about the Wii recent line up. ironically Game Fly decided to send me the one Wii game i had on Q. Kirby Epic Yarn. Because you hold the controller sideways i doubted i would need the censor bar anyway. So i put the game in and plugged in my classic controller to navigate the main menu. After i started the game i was happy to see i didn't really NEED to use the pointer. Unless i wanted to decorate Kirby’s apartment I seemed to be home free. That is until i got to the toy level and Kirby turns into a train. While he is the train you have to draw the tracks that he rides on. I cursed aloud and threw my hands up knowing that i wasn't going to be able to see the rest of the game. And by dumb luck the Wii Remote started working. I wasn't pointing at the screen but above it. I was baffled and made sure the censor wasn't on the TV. It was on the floor next to my feet. I soon figured out that the remote was simply picking up off the lamp in my room. I had heard before that you can just use candles as a substitute censor bar but i didn't think it would be so easy. I was amazed that i could easily navigate the level while just keeping in mind i was just aiming a bit over what i wanted. So my question is, was that just dumb luck? Was the lighting in my room was just perfect? Or is it really just that easy to substitute the censor bar? If so why would i spend money on a new one? I’m sure they are more than 15 bucks.    

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

So my question is, was that just dumb luck? Was the lighting in my room was just perfect? Or is it really just that easy to substitute the censor bar?       

Probably a combination of a bit of everything. Wouldn't you rather spend a little and be able to accurately point the thing though?
    Terrents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Terrents
    @JJWeatherman said:
    "

So my question is, was that just dumb luck? Was the lighting in my room was just perfect? Or is it really just that easy to substitute the censor bar?       

Probably a combination of a bit of everything. Wouldn't you rather spend a little and be able to accurately point the thing though? "

i might if anything comes out that i really want. but with my exprence with the wii so far has been that all the good games don't use the sensor bar anyway :/ Super Smash bros brawl is a good example
    noibn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By noibn

All you really need are two small IR light sources, spaced maybe 6-8 inches apart (I'm sure you can look up the details somewhere). That's all the sensor bar really is. That said, wouldn't it just be easier to get a replacement from Nintendo? I cannot imagine it would cost very much.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Godwind
    @Terrents said:
    "    If so why would i spend money on a new one? I’m sure they are more than 15 bucks.     "

More like $7.50
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael

Well, enjoy playing non-censored games.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

Ugh. Too long of a paragraph. Seperate it, then I'll read it.
    xen0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xen0

@NTM: Wow, such wonderful advice for the poor guy.  Instead of even saying anything, why not just click back on your browser and save the internet your words of douchebaggery? 

OP: Yes, you can use lit candles, as they give off plenty of infrared light.  I've done it myself, and it works perfectly, although a replacement sensor-bar would prove to be less of a fire hazard. ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.