Paid Subscription Service for Wii... Would You Buy It?

#1 Posted by mau64 (539 posts) -

With some gamers catching onto the gamble that is PlayStation Plus, do you think hardcore gamers would buy into a paid subscription service for Wii. Some features would be stuff like: 

universal friends list with usernames 
access to demos for games on WiiWare 
Sales on WiiWare Games 
more reliable online play 
Headset chat 
 Etc 

There are many other things they could do, but I just wanted to get opinions to see if you would even think about buying it. Lets go with a $50 a year model much like the others.

#2 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

LOL.  No.

#3 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

Hell no.

#4 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I've never played online on my wii. I never will. I didn't even have my wii connected to the internet until 2 weeks ago. I don't need any of these things.
#5 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

hahahahaha what? There's not even a network to associate the service to.

#6 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

I shouldn't have to pay for a friends list
I shouldn't have to pay for demos, also there are probably a handful of demos that i would actually want to try.
I don't buy Wii Ware games
I don't play online
Head set chat will get a maximum use of 3 times for me.

I barley play my Wii. I wait for exclusives and that's it.

#7 Posted by BrokenCage (121 posts) -

No. At this point, Nintendo should be paying me for even owning a Wii. Only thing I ever play on it anymore is Netflix.
#8 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Heck no.

#9 Posted by mau64 (539 posts) -

That's what I thought a lot of hardcore gamers would react. I'm the same way, I just wanted to see if they would do anything that could convince you to buy it.

#10 Edited by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

Hell no, is that a joke?
if it let me download and play any and all virtual console games for free as long as I'm subscribed then yes

#11 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

NEVER

#12 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -

Nope i even disconnected my wii from the internet, stupid updates making it glow

#13 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

not even on a cold day in hell.
Nintendo has continually taken a back seat on their online to the point that the online on the Wii is uselss and even would kill your system (wii connect 24/7 would keep the system hot yet no fans running, It all most killed my first wii) they could have put their efforts however small they were into making the system just a little better in other places instead of doing their lame attempts at online.

#14 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@mau64 said:
" That's what I thought a lot of hardcore gamers would react. I'm the same way, I just wanted to see if they would do anything that could convince you to buy it. "
you dont have to be a hardcore gamer to not want to pay for something that has no value to anyone
#15 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

online? 10000 times 0 is still 0

#16 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

I just don't get Nintendo's apathy towards online when it seems to be the biggest market for games these days. Is it some sort of difference between Japanese and Western gamers that I'm just not picking up on? That explanation doesn't even really make sense because Sony seems to be doing fine with their online. Then you have Japanese developers like Capcom who make awesome online experiences.

#17 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

I can not think of more than 1 game that i have spent more than 2 minutes online on. So no.

#18 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

the only game i ever played online was mario strikers which admittedly was pretty fun. with friends. but then i sold it and realized there was nothing else to play

#19 Edited by damnboyadvance (4059 posts) -

Nope! And here is why!

Universal friends list with usernames - I don't even have that many friends on my Wii.
Access to demos for games on WiiWare - Those would probably take up too much room, and I'm not a big fan of the games on WiiWare.
Sales on WiiWare Games - Once again, I don't like the games available on WiiWare.
More reliable online play - How are they going to do that?
Headset chat - Should already be available. I don't have to pay for this on PS3, so why on Wii?

Don't worry though, it's not your fault. I don't think there is anything Nintendo could make available right now to justify a paid subscription. Just won't work for them.

#20 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

And then play what?

#21 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -
@mau64 said:
" With some gamers catching onto the gamble that is PlayStation Plus, do you think hardcore gamers would buy into a paid subscription service for Wii. Some features would be stuff like:  universal friends list with usernames access to demos for games on WiiWare Sales on WiiWare Games more reliable online play Headset chat  Etc  There are many other things they could do, but I just wanted to get opinions to see if you would even think about buying it. Lets go with a $50 a year model much like the others. "
So, you want Xbox Live?
#22 Posted by the_shref (40 posts) -

haha no way. there's not enough good games coming out in order to pay for something like that

#23 Posted by Marcsman (3113 posts) -

This is a joke right?
#24 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@mau64:  
But there are no hardcore gamers on Wii!! MAAHAHAHHAHAHAHA 

None of that stuff would be possible as the Wii would have to go through some huge update. It could, however, be implemented into some sort of funk channel. 

I would not pay for something like that, though. I don't see how I am really getting anything useful out of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.