Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Recent IGN hate for the Wii

• 98 results
    Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee

I'm sorry, I couldn't do it.  After about a minute of reading, the white on black started to vibrate and now when I blink i see lines.  

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By dbz1995

I'm still saying that this is going to continue happening. The Wii is supposedly going to get year after year of underperformance, then, when the Wii2, PS4, and 720 come out, people will see the Wiis many sleeper hits that have grown throughout the years and will wish they got one years ago.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By Whisperkill

lol the wii...

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Willy105
    @oldschool You forgot Infamous and Uncharted 2 for the PS3. But I guess you still make your point.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#55  Edited By oldschool
    @Willy105 said:
    " @oldschool You forgot Infamous and Uncharted 2 for the PS3. But I guess you still make your point. "
    Hey, I am sure there are a lot more good and great (being relative terms) games on the PS3 beyond the 4 I mentioned, it is just that the 2 you mention are not my thing, even if one of them gets GOTY (as it will).
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By Coombs
    @Brundage said:

" The Wii has been a joke from day one, its a fucking kids toy for god's sake. I say if IGN is hating on Wii more power to them! "

I just dont get this view.....
    How is the Wii a joke?  It was never meant to be a "Hardcore" gaming system, So stop trying to treat it as one. Its a simple family friendly gaming console. Thats it.  Fun in a Box.
    It appeals to the whole family, Except of course the douchebag teenager whos to stuck up on the graphics of his PS3 to even attempt to have fun with it. 

The Wii haters are always on about the shitty Wii graphics, Well guess what? The Wii is NOT about graphics its about fun gameplay. You remember that right? When developers used to make games with an emphasis on being fun and solid, Instead of just trying to outdo the graphics of the last game their competitors did
    I really couldnt care less about the "shitty" graphics on the Wii, (some of) The games are fun. and thats why I play so I can have fun, Not so I can go "OMFG did you see the insane texture on that wall?" 

If you go into the Wii world with an open mind and the philosophy of "this could be fun for a while" and explore some games you WILL find something you enjoy, It doesnt matter who you are you will have fun with it.
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#57  Edited By spankingaddict

zzzzzzzzzzzzz.................

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By luce
    @spankingaddict said:
    " zzzzzzzzzzzzz................. "
    .............zz....
    Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @Brundage said:
    " The Wii has been a joke from day one, its a fucking kids toy for god's sake. I say if IGN is hating on Wii more power to them! "
    I love how people are coming to their senses, I personally thank gamers like you to keep my social and rational sanity. I thought I was the only one who despised the Wii and Nintendo'
    s business tactics back in 2007.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Brundage said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @Brundage said:
    " The Wii has been a joke from day one, its a fucking kids toy for god's s around a stick like a ake. I say if IGN is hating on Wii more power to them! "
    Videogames are for mature adults like yourself, who aren't virgins and don't live with their parents and have a healthy social life. "
    sorry waving around a stick like a retard for hours doesnt sound so appealing to me, maybe my two year old brother but not me "

You own another console? Because, in case you didn't know, Sony and Microsoft are producing technology that will let you to respectively waggle a dildo and mosh in front of your TV.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#62  Edited By Bones8677

The Wii is a joke, and Nintendo is lazy...that is all.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By Shady

I'm sure Nintendo will drop their business tactics and take IGN's advice. It worked out so well for them with the Gamecube.

But really, IGN is such a fucking joke of a website. The fact the editors regard their opinions highly over that of their readership speaks volumes of their egos.

Also, I'm kind of shocked about the Nintendo is lazy argument not only by them but by people here. I'm sure Sony and Microsoft are busting barriers in innovation by adding a number to their next game releases. I guess their me too approach to the casual crowd should be considered ground breaking.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Brundage
    @Coombs said:
    " @Brundage said:

I just dont get this view..... How is the Wii a joke?  It was never meant to be a "Hardcore" gaming system, So stop trying to treat it as one. Its a simple family friendly gaming console. Thats it.  Fun in a Box.It appeals to the whole family, Except of course the douchebag teenager whos to stuck up on the graphics of his PS3 to even attempt to have fun with it.   The Wii haters are always on about the shitty Wii graphics, Well guess what? The Wii is NOT about graphics its about fun gameplay. You remember that right? When developers used to make games with an emphasis on being fun and solid, Instead of just trying to outdo the graphics of the last game their competitors did I really couldnt care less about the "shitty" graphics on the Wii, (some of) The games are fun. and thats why I play so I can have fun, Not so I can go "OMFG did you see the insane texture on that wall?"  If you go into the Wii world with an open mind and the philosophy of "this could be fun for a while" and explore some games you WILL find something you enjoy, It doesnt matter who you are you will have fun with it. "
    I agree with just about  everything you say. But Nintendo does try to market the Wii as a hardcore system and has a huge fanbase of hardcore gamers. If i was a Nintendo guy i would feel like ive just been slapped in the face because Nentendo has almost completely left their hardcore gamers  out in the cold with very little exclusives to play. They sure as hell have the money to get some great games out more often but have completely failed to do so. For me and most gamers out there its not about the graphics its about the quality of games! And as of right now Nintendo releases about one good quality game a year its truly a slap in the face for all the hardcore out there that bought the gamecubes and helped keep Nintendo alive
    Avatar image for eternalinfinity0
    EternalInfinity0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By EternalInfinity0

Well I've already written a long response (on another site) to some idiot's condemnation of Casamassina's editorial, so I'm just going to ignore that part. 

And what's with the podcast summary? Is it supposed to make me angry? Am I supposed to be enraged at their perfectly reasonable criticism of the Wii? I don't get it.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By DanielJW

I like my Wii. Why should I care if others don't? 

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Coombs
    @Brundage said:
    I agree with just about  everything you say. But Nintendo does try to market the Wii as a hardcore system and has a huge fanbase of hardcore gamers. If i was a Nintendo guy i would feel like ive just been slapped in the face because Nentendo has almost completely left their hardcore gamers  out in the cold with very little exclusives to play. They sure as hell have the money to get some great games out more often but have completely failed to do so. For me and most gamers out there its not about the graphics its about the quality of games! And as of right now Nintendo releases about one good quality game a year its truly a slap in the face for all the hardcore out there that bought the gamecubes and helped keep Nintendo alive "
    True enough,
    I am one of those that bought a Gamecube, And I enjoyed it.
    Not as much as I enjoy my Wii (& truth be told my 360 gets at least 80% more love than the Wii)
    But with the Wii, you do pretty much know what your getting into when you first pick up that remote.
    Its light hearted, They have abandoned their hardcore fans for the most part, But I think thats because they know that there just isnt much point trying to compete in the hardcore market that MS and Sony are dominating when they can just sit back and enjoy the youth and new gamer audience that they have a stanglehold on at this point.
    Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Brundage
    @Coombs said:

" @Brundage said:

I agree with just about  everything you say. But Nintendo does try to market the Wii as a hardcore system and has a huge fanbase of hardcore gamers. If i was a Nintendo guy i would feel like ive just been slapped in the face because Nentendo has almost completely left their hardcore gamers  out in the cold with very little exclusives to play. They sure as hell have the money to get some great games out more often but have completely failed to do so. For me and most gamers out there its not about the graphics its about the quality of games! And as of right now Nintendo releases about one good quality game a year its truly a slap in the face for all the hardcore out there that bought the gamecubes and helped keep Nintendo alive "
    True enough, I am one of those that bought a Gamecube, And I enjoyed it. Not as much as I enjoy my Wii (& truth be told my 360 gets at least 80% more love than the Wii) But with the Wii, you do pretty much know what your getting into when you first pick up that remote. Its light hearted, They have abandoned their hardcore fans for the most part, But I think thats because they know that there just isnt much point trying to compete in the hardcore market that MS and Sony are dominating when they can just sit back and enjoy the youth and new gamer audience that they have a stanglehold on at this point. "
      totally, its a shame they stopped focusing on the hardcore as of right now but if they can get kids and parents exposed to gaming through a different and more user friendly approach more power to them!    
    Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Nemesis
    Get over the fact the Wii sucks Nintendo fanboy. Who cares what IGN has to say? They are total garbage, and are the Fox news of video game "journalism." Ironically enough, they are owned by the same company (news corp) as Fox news.
    CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By CharlieTuna
    @ChristOnIce said:

" I don't care for IGN in general, but that article is spot-on.  Nintendo is insanely lazy.  They're content to re-hash the same crap with few exceptions and skate by on novelty instead of effort or innovation.  They could slap Mario's face on a half-eaten bag of dicks, and their fans would eat it up while praising them.  "

Aye, this. But...

”Assassin’s Creed 2 feels like a Mature Zelda game.”

Bwahahahahahahaha! What are they smoking? IGN are the worst. I don't know why you go there man.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Willy105
    @CharlieTuna said:
    " @ChristOnIce said:

" I don't care for IGN in general, but that article is spot-on.  Nintendo is insanely lazy.  They're content to re-hash the same crap with few exceptions and skate by on novelty instead of effort or innovation.  They could slap Mario's face on a half-eaten bag of dicks, and their fans would eat it up while praising them.  "

Aye, this. But...   ”Assassin’s Creed 2 feels like a Mature Zelda game.”  Bwahahahahahahaha! What are they smoking? IGN are the worst. I don't know why you go there man. "
    We go there for their large amount of content.

Just because they are immature doesn't mean they have no use.
    Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Shady
    @ChristOnIce said:
    " @Shady said:
    Also, I'm kind of shocked about the Nintendo is lazy argument not only by them but by people here. I'm sure Sony and Microsoft are busting barriers in innovation by adding a number to their next game releases. I guess their me too approach to the casual crowd should be considered ground breaking.
    I fail to see how sequels would make an argument against Nintendo's competitors.  Don't get me wrong, I see that Nintendo doesn't use numbers when they release the same games over and over again (see Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Mario anything).  Nintendo keeps doing the same thing time and again.  Both Sony and Microsoft branch out far more.  Think of what defines an Xbox game and what defines a PS3 game.  It's fairly challenging.  They do a variety of shit and can't be easily pigeon-holed.  Nintendo, on the other hand, is content to package the same game they released a few years earlier with pathetic excuses for improvement.  They make shiny, colorful games for kids.  That's about all they do.    Sony and Microsoft have taken a far better approach to casual gaming by offering more than just casual titles.  There is a steady graduation of games with increasing depth and technique.  This brings in casual gamers and allows them to improve and enjoy better games as well.  With Nintendo, they pretty much stay casual.    I'm not saying that there isn't fun to be had on the Wii (though it is true for me).  I'm saying that Nintendo is playing it cheap & greedy by releasing overpriced mediocrity.  If they were charging $30 for their games and $130 for their glorified Gamecube, then it would be fine.  As it stands, they re-hash the same franchises with minimal improvement or investment of resources and let their profit margins soar.  Wii gamers have essentially three choices: bullshitty shovelware, first-party re-hash for the kiddies, and decent concepts with poor execution.  Wii fans are like battered wives.  They'll love Nintendo no matter what bullshit it pulls.  They seem content that one of the biggest releases of the year is a giant leap backwards to the gameplay of twenty years ago, and they look forward to guiding Link through the exact same story structure for the umpteenth time.  There's nothing necessarily wrong with simplistic diversion games.  The problem is when they are the crowning jewel and damned near the only option.  Both the Xbox and the PS3 (though to a lesser extent) have a wide array of game types with something to please everyone.  Nintendo responds "Fuck variety and innovation.  We'll just tack stick waggling onto whatever we did ten years ago." "
    While I'll agree Nintendo is behind the curve on a lot of modern features (online play being the main one), the reason Nintendo games define the Wii is because third party development is a mess on the Wii to say the least. There are great titles from third parties, but the glut of Wii games are shovel ware which third parties are content to make if it makes a decent return. It's the same thing you see on the DS though that has a better good to bad ratio of games.

Not get into the economics of it, but the 360 and PS3 have better games on average because developing for those platforms is very expensive. The Wii is cheap and thus easy to exploit in terms of games published for it.

Should Nintendo do something about it? Probably but then again these are the same companies that wouldn't do third party on the Gamecube because the return on investments were lower than the Xbox and PS2.

As for casual to hardcore, it isn't really any better on the 360 and PS3. I haven't found a single hardcore game that makes it easy for my non-gamer friends to enjoy by easing them into it. It's all to easy to do that on the Wii because of simplicity. That doesn't mean it can't be complex, but what you define complexity in terms of gameplay is probably radically different than what I would have in mind.

Honestly, what Sony and Microsoft do with their IPs is no different from Nintendo. At the end of the day, third party games make up the glut of games on a platform. The difference this time around is that the Wii has a bunch of crappy games instead of the Gamecube's severe lack of them.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Romination

i like that IGN has been writing editorials, but all of them have been Wii-bashy/360 praisey. There really needs to be "why achievements aren't as important as you think they are"

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Philantrophy
    @Symphony said:
    " I'm pretty sure you can sum up IGN with this -- They gave BlazBlue a 9.4 but forgot to mention the bonus CD content was created by them and voiced by Chobot."  
    Source please. 

I do feel the Wii suffers from a lot of shovelware and lack of good games. There are only so many ways you can give the people Mario.
    Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Well the Wii sucks real bad, but not for the dumb reasons IGN listed.

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

well, i'd imagine most of us have the same wii hate. the only wii game i've managed to play this year is resident evil darkside chronicles. i would like to get around to playing mario wii and silent hill, but thats it really. the system sits here untouched for many months untill one or two games come along that i'm interested in. thats not the case with the 360, ps3, and pc. i'm playing and buying games on those systems all the time. that says something about the quality i find in those games over nintendo's. they just don't bring it.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Brundage said:

Whatever you may (struggle to) think, the Wii has been the most consistent earner of this console generation.  Haters cite the casual market for its success but in truth it has a lot more to do with the failure of MS and especially Sony to capitalise on their previous console market leads due to a variety of supply, PR and stability stumbles they both have made since their consoles were released.  Whatever opinion anyone may have of Nintendo their sales figures indicate that they have won this console generation war.  I own a 360, PSP and a PC (or two).  I do not own a Wii.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#78  Edited By Symphony
    @Philantrophy said:

" @Symphony said:

" I'm pretty sure you can sum up IGN with this -- They gave BlazBlue a 9.4 but forgot to mention the bonus CD content was created by them and voiced by Chobot."  
    Source please.  I do feel the Wii suffers from a lot of shovelware and lack of good games. There are only so many ways you can give the people Mario. "
    You can't be bothered to look up their review? Alright then, copy/paste GO

Taken right from their BlazBlue review.

This part is highlighted and boxed as to stand out in the review --

The initial run of BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger is actually pretty special, as there's no Standard Edition to be found. That's right: the first copies of BlazBlue will all be Limited Edition. You get the game in its fancy packaging, a two-disc soundtrack full of some fantastic music and a bonus DVD filled with helpful tutorial information -- all for the price of a standard retail game. This really blows other Limited Editions out of the water, considering how both pack-ins are not only "free" but are actually worth getting. 

Eventually, BlazBlue will have a Standard Edition run which I will examine when the time comes. But for now, everyone buying BlazBlue gets a very nice package with some great character art on the outside. Inside the box is the aforementioned soundtrack, which spans an impressive 42 tracks across two discs. Composed by ARC System Works designer Daisuke Ishiwatari, these tunes are actually worth giving a listen.

Lastly, the bonus DVD is designed to be an introduction/tutorial to the BlazBlue universe. Although the menus and overall presentation might seem like they came straight out of Apple's iDVD software, the actual information presented is fantastic. Not only are all the game's basic battle systems explained, but BlazBlue experts are brought in to describe character-specific strategies and tips for beginners.

If you didn't already figure it out, I'll summarize my thoughts on this run of BlazBlue: buy it. You can read more about my feelings on the game itself below, but getting all this Limited Edition content for the price of a standard retail game is a steal.

See any mention that they're the ones that created the content? I sure don't.
    s3ank1m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By s3ank1m
    @Twilight said:
    " IGN just sucks. They overrate and underrate games way to much. Especially Matt. Oh how I hate him. "
    agree with you
    Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Philantrophy
    @Symphony: I was asking for a source for  the statement "the bonus cd content was created by them and voiced by Chobot." It would be weird if they did not give any information about it.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By SeriouslyNow

IGN are prototypical corporate whores.  Their journalistic integrity is null and void and who they love or hate swings depending on who is paying for their advertorials and ad space.

imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By imhuntad

IGN? "Who cares what they said" comes to mind.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#83  Edited By Claude

IGN's VC reviews are alone worth clicking. No other site has VC reviews like that, unless you, the reader, gives me options.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#84  Edited By JJOR64
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#85  Edited By Claude
    @JJOR64 said:

" @Claude: Nintendo Life is a great site with VC reviews. "

Well, son of a bitch, ask and thou shall receive. Thanks for the post.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Symphony 

Wow that's so fucking lame, I had no idea they were involved in making such content for games in the first place. As you allude too, their involvement should be clearly stated to all, and their can be no valid excuse for not doing so. 

IGN went down hill fast as soon as Julian Rignall left, their standards (now shockingly bad) have dropped dramatically. I stopped using them years ago. 
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Manatassi

The fact that Metroid Prime Trillogy keeps coming up at the top of the wii exclusives lists this year says allot as its a rehash of 3 previously released games, two of which are getting pretty old at this point. 

This year was a Joke for the Wii. I bought ONE game (NSMB Wii) this year and nothing else could really tempt me. The crummy old standard def graphics and novelty "family games" and shovel-ware have just killed the Wii for me. Even my 11 year old son is bored with the damn thing. Every game we have rented has been a disappointment.  

The fact is as a man in his late twenties I guess the Wii just has nothing of interest for me anymore. Mario Galaxies 2 is the only title I'm even interested in this coming year so-far. The sad thing is that even my son has lost interest and he IS the target audience, well aside from the older female demographic. It seems at this point that the Wii is for people who just don't know any better. 

Nintendo better pull their collective heads out of their arses or they are looking at a repeat of the boom bust Atari days of the 80's. Ironically Nintendo were the ones who pulled the gaming industry out of the slump it was in back in the 80's and now they are following the same strategy that put the industry there in the first place. 

ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ThePhenomenal1

they're owned by viacom. they're in it for the money.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Willy105
    @Manatassi said:

" The fact that Metroid Prime Trillogy keeps coming up at the top of the wii exclusives lists this year says allot as its a rehash of 3 previously released games, two of which are getting pretty old at this point.  This year was a Joke for the Wii. I bought ONE game (NSMB Wii) this year and nothing else could really tempt me. The crummy old standard def graphics and novelty "family games" and shovel-ware have just killed the Wii for me. Even my 11 year old son is bored with the damn thing. Every game we have rented has been a disappointment.   The fact is as a man in his late twenties I guess the Wii just has nothing of interest for me anymore. Mario Galaxies 2 is the only title I'm even interested in this coming year so-far. The sad thing is that even my son has lost interest and he IS the target audience, well aside from the older female demographic. It seems at this point that the Wii is for people who just don't know any better.  Nintendo better pull their collective heads out of their arses or they are looking at a repeat of the boom bust Atari days of the 80's. Ironically Nintendo were the ones who pulled the gaming industry out of the slump it was in back in the 80's and now they are following the same strategy that put the industry there in the first place.  "

For the vast majority of the gaming audience, they haven't played any Metroid Prime games. Neither have I. Putting all three of them together with better controls is a fantastic idea. I haven't played NSMBWii yet, but it's kinda hilarious that's the only game you bought for it, and then complain you are bored with it. Why do games you have not played killed the console for you? Isn't that the point of the Wii, to try new experiences? Mario Galaxy 2 sounds cool, but I am more excited for other Wii games next year. Heck, before I buy any 2010 games, I am going to buy the ones I missed this year. 

Nintendo is following the very same strategy they did with NES, not what Atari did. With the NES, Nintendo went away from the hardcore gamers (which at the time it was the PC crowd), and targeted at those who thought gaming was a dead art form. And they succeeded. Nintendo is doing that again today, and succeeded. You can't just change reality to your liking.

@ThePhenomenal1 said:
    " they're owned by viacom. they're in it for the money. "

Actually they are owned by Fox (news corporation).
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Manatassi
    @Willy105 said:

" @Manatassi said:

" The fact that Metroid Prime Trillogy keeps coming up at the top of the wii exclusives lists this year says allot as its a rehash of 3 previously released games, two of which are getting pretty old at this point.  This year was a Joke for the Wii. I bought ONE game (NSMB Wii) this year and nothing else could really tempt me. The crummy old standard def graphics and novelty "family games" and shovel-ware have just killed the Wii for me. Even my 11 year old son is bored with the damn thing. Every game we have rented has been a disappointment.   The fact is as a man in his late twenties I guess the Wii just has nothing of interest for me anymore. Mario Galaxies 2 is the only title I'm even interested in this coming year so-far. The sad thing is that even my son has lost interest and he IS the target audience, well aside from the older female demographic. It seems at this point that the Wii is for people who just don't know any better.  Nintendo better pull their collective heads out of their arses or they are looking at a repeat of the boom bust Atari days of the 80's. Ironically Nintendo were the ones who pulled the gaming industry out of the slump it was in back in the 80's and now they are following the same strategy that put the industry there in the first place.  "

For the vast majority of the gaming audience, they haven't played any Metroid Prime games. Neither have I. Putting all three of them together with better controls is a fantastic idea. I haven't played NSMBWii yet, but it's kinda hilarious that's the only game you bought for it, and then complain you are bored with it. Why do games you have not played killed the console for you? Isn't that the point of the Wii, to try new experiences? Mario Galaxy 2 sounds cool, but I am more excited for other Wii games next year. Heck, before I buy any 2010 games, I am going to buy the ones I missed this year. 

Nintendo is following the very same strategy they did with NES, not what Atari did. With the NES, Nintendo went away from the hardcore gamers (which at the time it was the PC crowd), and targeted at those who thought gaming was a dead art form. And they succeeded. Nintendo is doing that again today, and succeeded. You can't just change reality to your liking.

@ThePhenomenal1 said:
    Actually they are owned by Fox (news corporation). "
    I'm sorry What? I mean seriously how can you expect anyone to take you seriously when you claim that PC Hardcore Gaming was killing the industry in the 80s and Nintendo flooded the market with family friendly shovel-ware to save the games industry? 

What universe were you living in during the early 80s?  

If you had a clue what you were talking about you would know that it was Atari along with Magnavox, Fairchild and the like who flooded the market with Shovel-ware becoming HUGELY popular as a family novelty toy (see where this is going).  Atari in particular selling any competition clean out of the market. Atari flooded the market so much with repeated novelty titles and Shovel-ware that eventually the entire Games Industry collapsed as the home consoles novelty began to wear off and people simply stopped playing games as they had been fed poor quality title after poor quality title. Which led to the Atari Landfills full of copies of E.T as customers had just had enough of shit games with brand names.  

Nintendo introduced the Nintendo Seal of Quality and invested heavily in research and development of fewer but higher quality titles a policy which they stuck with until the end of the N64 era. A policy which they have completely done away with for the Wii. The Nintendo Seal of Quality is now a joke with the same kinds of bullshit shovel-ware that infested the late 70s and early 80s being flooded back into the market sitting on Walmart / Asda shelves and attracting the uneducated buyer with words like "Party", "Brain Games", "Petz", " Carnival" etc etc. Its only going to take so many years of going home with garbage shovel-ware before even the dumbass Walmart mom is going to work out she is being taken for a ride.  

PC gaming had nothing to do with the state of the Games industry during the 80s mostly being restricted to a few wealthy nerds until well into the 90s.  

As for the Gaming being a dead art comment. Gaming barely Existed an art form in its infancy.It was a novelty toy for children, an image that has been hard to shake. Thanks largely to the efforts of Sony and much later Microsoft it has been shaken loose somewhat. However Nintendo has remained and always will do, a TOY company. Nintendo did not revive Games as a lost Art form in the 80s and certainly aren't helping the industry escape the stereotypes that have been layered upon it. 

I grew up playing the NES and was a huge Fanboy of Nintendo all through the 80s and 90s. But crediting Nintendo with some kind of mystical status above reproach is idiotic. And putting the Wii in anything like proximity to the 360 and PS3 is absurd. The Wii is a novelty toy, a craze that has done extremely well for nintendo financially. Some great ideas have fed back into the Games industry from the Wii. None of this detracts from the fact that for myself and many others comparing many of the legions of waggle games out there to the games I have to play on the other consoles you might as well have handed me this:    

When I asked for this: 

Yes there are a few, and I stress FEW games that scratch that itch on the Wii. Its not enough. Unless Nintendo get a handle on the 3rd party waves of junk and start actually putting out some fucking games, I have to say they have lost my interest. 

Edit: Oh and WTF does this sentence mean: " Why do games you have not played killed the console for you?"
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Willy105
    @Manatassi said:
    " @Willy105 said:

" @Manatassi said:

@ThePhenomenal1 said:
    Actually they are owned by Fox (news corporation). "
    I'm sorry What? I mean seriously how can you expect anyone to take you seriously when you claim that PC Hardcore Gaming was killing the industry in the 80s and Nintendo flooded the market with family friendly shovel-ware to save the games industry? 

What universe were you living in during the early 80s?  

If you had a clue what you were talking about you would know that it was Atari along with Magnavox, Fairchild and the like who flooded the market with Shovel-ware becoming HUGELY popular as a family novelty toy (see where this is going).  Atari in particular selling any competition clean out of the market. Atari flooded the market so much with repeated novelty titles and Shovel-ware that eventually the entire Games Industry collapsed as the home consoles novelty began to wear off and people simply stopped playing games as they had been fed poor quality title after poor quality title. Which led to the Atari Landfills full of copies of E.T as customers had just had enough of shit games with brand names.  

Nintendo introduced the Nintendo Seal of Quality and invested heavily in research and development of fewer but higher quality titles a policy which they stuck with until the end of the N64 era. A policy which they have completely done away with for the Wii. The Nintendo Seal of Quality is now a joke with the same kinds of bullshit shovel-ware that infested the late 70s and early 80s being flooded back into the market sitting on Walmart / Asda shelves and attracting the uneducated buyer with words like "Party", "Brain Games", "Petz", " Carnival" etc etc. Its only going to take so many years of going home with garbage shovel-ware before even the dumbass Walmart mom is going to work out she is being taken for a ride.  

PC gaming had nothing to do with the state of the Games industry during the 80s mostly being restricted to a few wealthy nerds until well into the 90s.  

As for the Gaming being a dead art comment. Gaming barely Existed an art form in its infancy.It was a novelty toy for children, an image that has been hard to shake. Thanks largely to the efforts of Sony and much later Microsoft it has been shaken loose somewhat. However Nintendo has remained and always will do, a TOY company. Nintendo did not revive Games as a lost Art form in the 80s and certainly aren't helping the industry escape the stereotypes that have been layered upon it. 

I grew up playing the NES and was a huge Fanboy of Nintendo all through the 80s and 90s. But crediting Nintendo with some kind of mystical status above reproach is idiotic. And putting the Wii in anything like proximity to the 360 and PS3 is absurd. The Wii is a novelty toy, a craze that has done extremely well for nintendo financially. Some great ideas have fed back into the Games industry from the Wii. None of this detracts from the fact that for myself and many others comparing many of the legions of waggle games out there to the games I have to play on the other consoles you might as well have handed me this:    

When I asked for this: 

Yes there are a few, and I stress FEW games that scratch that itch on the Wii. Its not enough. Unless Nintendo get a handle on the 3rd party waves of junk and start actually putting out some fucking games, I have to say they have lost my interest.   Edit: Oh and WTF does this sentence mean: " Why do games you have not played killed the console for you?" "
    Ha ha ha ha!

You just wrote all that for something I didn't even say! You are again changing reality to your liking.

I didn't say hardcore gaming was killing the industry. In fact, PC gaming was what survived of the old remnants of pre-Nintendo game industry. We ALL know how Atari flooded the market with shovelware. It's in the gaming textbooks and common knowledge. The fierce competition of the early game generations prompted the publishers to dish out dozen after dozen of titles just to show off they had the most games. The problem was, those games SUCKED.

The Seal of Quality was created to combat the game piracy that was common at the time. It may seem crazy now, but back then, unlicensed games were being sold on the same shelves as normal games! These games were hacks of other games, and had a problem of not working. The Nintendo Seal of Quality was a move to protect against those titles. A game with that seal was guaranteed to work on the system, and not be ripped off by a game that did not work. 

As the problem started disappearing, they kept lowering dependence onthe seal, and progressively started using it less, such as shortening it to Official Nintendo Seal, and then to stop putting it huge on the front of the box and started putting it on the back, because they didn't need it anymore. It was all a marketing scheme. The game could still suck, but it was guaranteed to run.

Yes, gaming is an art form. I believe it is. Just because it has a stereotype, it doesn't make it any less art. The game industry has progressed a lot since it was a child's toy. The work of companies like Sony made gaming acceptable for teenagers, and Nintendo is now making it acceptable for adults. It's all slowly getting better. You don't have to keep hating it because of it.

Also, if you call the Wii a toy, you are calling the HD consoles baby toys. And what's worse, you a promoting another stereotype of "wealthy nerds". Which we should be starting to get rid off.

As for the last sentence, if you buy only one game for your 360 in a year, you are obviously going to start being bored by it.
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Manatassi
    @Willy105:  

"Ha ha ha ha!" 

1. Grow Up 

"You just wrote all that for something I didn't even say! You are again changing reality to your liking."

2. Express yourself more clearly:

"  Nintendo is following the very same strategy they did with NES, not what Atari did. With the NES, Nintendo went away from the hardcore gamers (which at the time it was the PC crowd), and targeted at those who thought gaming was a dead art form. And they succeeded. Nintendo is doing that again today, and succeeded. You can't just change reality to your liking. "   

Read that again and attempt to compose something a little more coherent:

" I didn't say hardcore gaming was killing the industry. In fact, PC gaming was what survived of the old remnants of pre-Nintendo game industry." 

"We ALL know how Atari flooded the market with shovelware. It's in the gaming textbooks and common knowledge. The fierce competition of the early game generations prompted the publishers to dish out dozen after dozen of titles just to show off they had the most games. The problem was, those games SUCKED." 

3. So we are in agreement then? Nintendo are adopting the let 3rd party's flood the market with shovel-ware policy as I stated in my first post. And yes most of it SUCKS. 

"The Seal of Quality was created to combat the game piracy that was common at the time. It may seem crazy now, but back then, unlicensed games were being sold on the same shelves as normal games! These games were hacks of other games, and had a problem of not working. The Nintendo Seal of Quality was a move to protect against those titles. A game with that seal was guaranteed to work on the system, and not be ripped off by a game that did not work.   

As the problem started disappearing, they kept lowering dependence onthe seal, and progressively started using it less, such as shortening it to Official Nintendo Seal, and then to stop putting it huge on the front of the box and started putting it on the back, because they didn't need it anymore. It was all a marketing scheme. The game could still suck, but it was guaranteed to run." 

4. The Seal of Quality was created for various reasons that being one of them. However Nintendo's stated policy at the time was quality over quantity. A fallback they repeated over and over during the N64 era when the Playstation was snapping up all the 3rd party Publishers. I remember that one pretty well and I agreed with it at the time, altho I would Question Nintendo's idea of Quality at this point. Wii Music springs to mind. 

"Yes, gaming is an art form. I believe it is. Just because it has a stereotype, it doesn't make it any less art. The game industry has progressed a lot since it was a child's toy. The work of companies like Sony made gaming acceptable for teenagers, and Nintendo is now making it acceptable for adults. It's all slowly getting better. You don't have to keep hating it because of it. " 

5. Exactly how did I state that it isn't. If you aren't going to read the post then why reply. In-fact I believe I referred to it as an "Art form in its infancy" during the early 80s. I was disputing that Gaming was a lost dying Art form that Nintendo revived. It was an art form that hadn't even begun at that point. Nintendo helped the industry to get a good start in the right direction.

"Also, if you call the Wii a toy, you are calling the HD consoles baby toys." 

7. I guess see point 1 if thats what you actually mean or more likely 2 as you cant seriously mean what that seems to be saying. Seriously? 

"And what's worse, you a promoting another stereotype of "wealthy nerds". Which we should be starting to get rid off."

8. PC gaming wasn't restricted to a select group of wealthy nerds... ok, ok "Hobbyists" during the 70s and early 80s? Exactly how is that inaccurate? It wasn't exactly fucking mainstream entertainment back then was it.

"As for the last sentence, if you buy only one game for your 360 in a year, you are obviously going to start being bored by it. "  

9. Um...  Do you even read the posts you reply to? I quote my first friggin post Mate the one YOU replied to:  " Every game we have rented has been a disappointment."  

Do I need to say any more? 

RENTALS  

I rent the games on the Wii for a reason. They haven't been worth the money. And yes I have played most of the big releases this year on Wii.  

Oh and you don't see Microsoft releasing Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Call Of Duty, Perfect Dark etc etc as full retail products with higher resolution graphics they get released as fucking $10 arcade games. Referring to Metroid Prime Trilogy's status as a big Wii game for the "core gamers" this year. 
    Most of the Best Wii games I own were released on the Gamecube or Playstation 2. Some YEARS before the Wii came out For Fucks Sake. 
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Willy105
    @Manatassi 

You are telling me to grow up and you are the one using the bad language. At least try to have a decent conversation with others.

During the NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube eras, third party publishers were outright hating Nintendo because of the strict publishing limits they had on getting their games licensed for their consoles. They had a limit on how many games they could release in one year, and they couldn't be outright competition to their first-party titles, etc. When the Genesis came out and started to do competition with Nintendo, they lost publisher support rapidly, going from near total control of the market to just half. It became even worse when the Playstation came out with it's everybody can develop for it attitude. Nintendo lost tons of publisher support, all the way to the Gamecube. Then they decided to get rid of those rules completely.

Why do you question Wii Music? There are tons of people that love that game, especially considering the vile hatred it got post E3 2008.  Compared to what the NES did in the 80's, PC gaming was doing just fine back then. People in the industry liked how it was close-knit business of fans of the medium. Metroid Prime Trilogy actually includes a current gen game that has been selling for $50, just because it has two last gen games with it doesn't mean the whole thing should be put up in Virtual Console for download, especially since they actually play different, unlike the VC or XBLA releases which are the same game (in a higher resolution if it's the N64 games).

Renting can be a good way to see if a game is for you. Granted, I hated a lot of games when I first played them, only to start to like them years later, but I agree with you there.

Anyway, remember that if we are going to have a conversation of this scale, you need to stay calm and get your act together, otherwise it makes it very uncomfortable for the other person.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#94  Edited By Meowayne

Why do you question Wii Music?

Eh, even as a member of the WDF, I cannot call Wii Music a good game. It was a real let-down. There was potential there, and I hope for a MotionPlus enabled sequel, but Wii Music as it is really sucks.
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Manatassi
    @Willy105:  

Sorry did my opinion make you feel "uncomfortable"? 

What makes you think I'm angry? I happen to have a tendency to express myself by swearing to illustrate or accent what I am saying as with many other people. If my language offends you I suggest you might be in the wrong place as last time I checked I'm not the only one who uses the word fuck. Interesting that you believe that the conversation is of some  "scale" I was of the understanding that I expressed an opinion which you subsequently attempted to dissect  as part of your duty as your self named "WDF". I then returned the favour as it amused me and theres not much else to do that early in the morning to entertain myself :) 

You haven't actually given me any solid arguments to in any way discredit my original opinion and thus haven't changed it. Especially after you attempted to argue that Wii Music is somehow a quality title loved by many (had me in giggles wit that one) thus for me discrediting any other opinion you have expressed about the quality of any title on the Wii (Obviously your objectivity was hardly the bastion of credibility to begin with as a "member" of the "WDF").  

Oh and on a side note, don't talk down to me when you can hardly formulate your own arguments into coherent sentences to begin with. 

See: 

but it's kinda hilarious that's the only game you bought for it, and then complain you are bored with it. Why do games you have not played killed the console for you? Isn't that the point of the Wii, to try new experiences? " 

For a classic example :) 

Ok now I do have other things to do *ta ta* 

oh just for the record thats Wii Defence Force right not Wankers Defence Force? Its hard to tell :P (now that was immature but I couldn't help it :)
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Willy105
    @Manatassi 

I am really sorry you feel offended by me. Someone here created the Wii Defense Force because, quite frankly, it was needed. You may think it's stupid, but that's the reason it exists. It's great you are entertained by the actions of others. At least you don't go into a blind rage like some others around here. You quoted me there, but you didn't say what was wrong with it, other than it wasn't coherent and didn't formulate a good argument. What do you think is a good argument, calling you a curse word and insulting your mother? I am not like that.

I am not trying to change your opinion, I am reminding you it's an opinion and not a fact. If you don't believe there are people out there that don't think Wii Music is an insult to mankind, then that's your problem. And if you think I am a fanboy for simply defending a console who is hated around here for a reason that I have yet to see in real life, then you are no different from what you are calling me.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Symphony 

Wow that's so fucking lame, I had no idea they were involved in making such content for games in the first place. As you allude too, their involvement should be clearly stated to all, and their can be no valid excuse for not doing so. 

IGN went down hill fast as soon as Julian Rignall left, their standards (now shockingly bad) have dropped dramatically. I stopped using them years ago.  "
    JR is a rare breed of games journo.  He's been around and famous since the ZZAPP64 and CRASH days (Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum mags from the early 1980s for those who don't know wtf they were) and never let it get to head.  I really thought IGN were changing for the better when he joined and well...yeah that went south pretty quickly.  I have no malice when I say I hate IGN but I really do hate them. Whores
    khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By khadaj32

Holy pissing contest, batman.

Guess there is nowhere safe from people who try to use false facts to amplify their opinions.

Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 131

User Lists: 34

#99  Edited By Junior_AIN

lol I never thought someone actually cared this much, but the Wii had this coming, and Nintendo too. It's funny because I always saw IGN as the website playing on Wii's side. The fact people claim Metroid Prime Trilogy as the grand release of Wii is depressing, it's a game intended for the n00bs who haven't played the original version of those games, not real fans. Get your act together and play the real versions, not some lame remake. The only thing I enjoyed from the Wii last year was Mario and Muramasa; the rest...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.