Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Watch out, it's a GIRL SYSTEM!!!!

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/944/944898p1.html
    Little more than expected from Ubi on the Wii front. It's great how they were finally starting to ramp it up on with the release of Shaun White, and the soon to be publishing of Tenchu, but they go and say that the Wii is a console for girls.

The best thing is that this comes at the same time as this news which is more grounded in reason. Ubisoft stands to lose a lot by focusing on games for chicks, because they're obviously different from male games. So, brukaoru, how's that Petz Sportz game treating you?
    Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Coltonio7
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "
    So, brukaoru, how's that Petz Sportz game treating you?
    "
    xD to that.

But yeah, I totally understand Ubi getting more with the 'girl gaming'. Baby steps with Elika.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By fr0br0

Where the FUCK is my pink Wii?

Adolph_Hitler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Adolph_Hitler

wii is for girls.  Grow a penis and buy a man's console... one that eats up over 400 kw per hour. What does a wii use? Like 190 kw per hour? Rubbish. And if you get a man's console you just have to get a huge great TV. That should take another 600 or so kw per hour. And with all the batteries you use playing awsome man games you can fuck nature in the ass by dumping loads of batteries in your local pond. 

Nintendo... go back to making playing cards

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By granderojo

You know Nintendo may not of been going for a female oriented system but they delivered one and the women love it.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

I hear the Imagine line has one or two games that are alright.

What else? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Stop trying to market to girls, Ubisoft. You just end up looking stupid.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PureRok

I don't care who's buying the console as long as I get my Zelda.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By brukaoru
    Love the beginning of this article:
    "Stereotypes aside, the booming video game industry is becoming less male-oriented."
    How about the stereotype that females only care about the Wii? Or that girls want games that only feature
    things like fashion design and babysitting simulators? Hypocritical statement, much?

Also what the heck does this quote mean?!:
    "Girls have a very high impact on how we interact with each other. As a human race, we have men and women — and we all communicate together."

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Any excuse for that pic is just golden.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Emilio

Ew gorss. I think I'm gonna have to return mine.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By clarke0

Girls love it because of the controllers unique shape and vibration features. Hehehe...he.... sorry. :(

Really though that's a stupid excuse for all the shitty female-targeted shovelware they keep making. Obviously they must be making a profit so... people really need to stop buying these games.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Also, does anyone else find it strange that people are calling the WII for girls?

Girls like Wii? Guess so.
    Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Stanford

Oh my god, girls playing games!

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Stanford said:
    "Oh my god, girls playing games!"
    If only, eh?
    Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Dark_Link142

Doesn't matter to me. I just got my cooty shot. =P

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DeadlyPain
    rexualhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rexualhealing

Playing the Wii made my dick fall off.

Honestly, my mom and my little sister probably play games on the Wii more than anyone else I know, and what are their two favorite games? Rock Band 2 and Wii Music. My little sister, as ridiculously feminine and adolescent as she is, thinks most of the games catering to a female audience are retarded unless they're Cooking Mama, and my mom doesn't even like videogames but she loves the Wii. This is the woman who, upon finding out her son wanted to be a game designer at 6 years old (this was before that sort of thing was cool, back in the days of the SNES and such), did everything in her power to get her son away from the videyagames because if he played them too much he'd be a nerd. The same woman who thinks her son is immature because he reads the occasional graphic novel, watches anime every once in awhile, plays in a band (when he's not working at his multiple jobs) and is not married yet. She plays the Wii when she's not watching her soap operas or working or ferrying my siblings around or what-have-you, and, honestly, I think that it's amazing. If Nintendo can make someone like my mother play videogames, then shit, they deserve my money and adoration forever.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
    auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By auspiciousqueue

I love that the gaming industry assumes that we need 'feminine games.'  Just keep chugging out JRPG and we are fine. Then again it is good business practice.

I'll be happy to play GTA on my DS, thank you very much.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Rowr
    brukaoru said:
    "Love the beginning of this article:
    "Stereotypes aside, the booming video game industry is becoming less male-oriented."
    How about the stereotype that females only care about the Wii? Or that girls want games that only feature
    things like fashion design and babysitting simulators? Hypocritical statement, much?

Also what the heck does this quote mean?!:
    "Girls have a very high impact on how we interact with each other. As a human race, we have men and women — and we all communicate together."

"
    pwned.

nice one bru.
    Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shazam
    FUCK! Sorry but Wii makes shit games. They're "targeting" female gamers so that when an angry fan writes in as to why their games are so shit, they have a reason.

"Don't blame us, the females asked for Ride a Unicorn: Extreme!".

Personally, there should be no difference between male and female games. If you are a girl and play games, chances are that you actually want to pwn shit in the face. But if Wii are taking suggestions, they should make a Bunny Boiler game.
    JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#21  Edited By JackiJinx

I don't think there's anything wrong with making games with girls in mind like I don't think that there's games made for boys in mind. It's like barbie dolls and GI Joes. When I was a kid, I played with Barbies, TMNTs, and builder blocks. It can be argued that both portray a stereotype. So what? When the kid gets older, they can see past that sort of thing and decide for themselves how he or she wants to be. Even better, mom or dad can say, "Look, just because Barbie has a non-existant waist doesn't mean every woman does or can" and all that good stuff.

The same goes with games. I grew up on RPGs and have, in the past few years, gone to liking shooters. I can admit that I did play some girly games when I was little, too, but they stunk like high hell. The Little Mermaid the game? Barbie goes shopping (or whatever the hell that trash was called)? No effort, no likey. TMNT games? Oh HELL yes. Those worked.

I just don't understand why no one puts any serious effort into games geared for little girls and all the effort for little boys. It's not like little girls feel intimidated by video games, they don't. They just want something that interests them...and obviously, it's not just Barbie that interests little girls, but I think we can safely say that most girls ARE interested in Barbie, so it's not a bad idea to give them something that both functions and is fun.

So with everything: Parental responsibility, quality.

By the way, I love that image, bru.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Shazam said:
    "FUCK! Sorry but Wii makes shit games. They're "targeting" female gamers so that when an angry fan writes in as to why their games are so shit, they have a reason.

"Don't blame us, the females asked for Ride a Unicorn: Extreme!".

Personally, there should be no difference between male and female games. If you are a girl and play games, chances are that you actually want to pwn shit in the face. But if Wii are taking suggestions, they should make a Bunny Boiler game."
    Feel free to e-mail wiisuggestions@wiisuggestions.com with any of your Wii suggestions and Wii will be sure to read everything you have to say and make the girl Wii games everyone wants to see the Wii making. Thank you!

[cursing!] Sorry, but for a gamer, you're pretty damn ignorant, first saying that a particular system somehow makes shit games, taking a given developer out of the equation, then by taking Ubisoft's statements as, uh, Wii's own statements, and, er, yeah I'll simply stop trying to make sense of it all now. It's of no use.

Try judging games on a per game basis, not by what system they're on. Even the shittiest system ever created, which the Wii is obviously far from, should in theory have good games or no games at all, it's always up to the given developer to exploit it. If they chose to exploit the system for a good game or a quick cash-in is up to them and not the system. Consoles are poor lifeless boxes unable to defend. I don't see any company stopping the shovelware on any of them, I merely see more shovelware developers jumping to the Wii simply because it's the most popular system, just like they did with the PS2 before.

After all, the Wii, often mocked with the likes of "barbie's horse adventures" titles, doesn't even have such a game (the last time I checked, perhaps Ubi corrected that), while the PS2 and Xbox do. I'm sure you won't blame those consoles or even Microsoft and Sony for having such games available. With that, it's obvious the same type of shovelware has always been there, it's just that most of the media ignored it, as it wasn't "in" to mock systems based on such games back then. People riding on the Wii hate bandwagons is one of the bigger reasons such titles get so much attention nowadays I guess.

Anyway, you might be right about the excuses you mention, if only you directed them to Ubisoft instead of the Wii, though I imagine when they say girl games they mean like 3-10 year old stuff, so of course unicorns, smurfs and barbies are closer to what they'd like to see than Halo 3 is, and they'll probably consider it as entertaining as the related TV shows, which I'm sure you'd also hate, but not end up yelling @ the Sony (or whatever brand you have) TV for showing it. If we're talking more mature female gamers, who aren't quite as hardcore as people who visit here, I guess I'd lean towards the likes of Sim City and The Sims, instead of unicorns since these are what I've seen get the most play-time from females around here.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @JackiJinx
    I don't think they put more effort in little boys' games, it's just that little boys often play what er, big boys play. There's probably an equal amount of shovelware based on little boy cartoons or similar franchises which try to attract that kind of audience.
    JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JackiJinx

Well, Al3and3r, I'm up for that challenge. Time to look up shovelware titles!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well, as an example, didn't we use to mock super hero video games, almost as much as movie-games, up until the likes of spiderman started making them decent? I guess that's when they realised older people are into comic books too, and they started doing some decent movies also.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By weltal

Oh really? I guess that means what my Wii and I have been doing isn't oh-so-wrong but rather oh-so-right!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust
    Arkthemaniac said:
     ...but they go and say that the Wii is a console for girls.

I think they may be right.  And, if so, is that really a bad thing?
    JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JackiJinx
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Well, as an example, didn't we use to mock super hero video games, almost as much as movie-games, up until the likes of spiderman started making them decent? I guess that's when they realised older people are into comic books too, and they started doing some decent movies also."
    I see. Well, I went and made a blog comparing the two. If you have any objections, go and state them here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.