Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Game Studios

Company »

Also known as "Microsoft Games", "Microsoft Game Studios", and "Microsoft Studios", Xbox Game Studios is a primary subsidiary of the Microsoft Gaming division and handles publishing of their studios' games (including the Halo, Forza, and Gears of War series).

Microsoft Knew, Turk 182

• 127 results
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Player1

No I haven't, but then again, my console has been on its side the whole time.

I witnessed first hand a brand new copy of Halo 2 get ruined because my friends little brother was running though the house and accidentally kicked the console over. From that day on I vouched that my console would NEVER stand up straight.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By LiquidPrince

Wow... Talk about money grubbing.

AlexMarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#53  Edited By AlexMarra

Almost all of my discs have circle scratches on them, but none have them have ever stopped playing indefinitely.

PLWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By PLWolf

My previous refurb from MS had a problem with the DVD Drive. The "new" one is working much better, but  I'm still worried about it Red Ringing or the DVD drive crapping it out again. OF course my PS3 also died back in October and it cost me $160 to get it fixed. It sucks to feel scared to turn on a system.

Anyway, now I need to watch Turk 182 again. THANKS JEFF!! *shakes fist*

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By landon

I remember my brother destroyed a copy of Bully on the PS2 when he knocked the system over while it was in it. But something like this has never happened to my 360, though I always keep it flat down.

Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By Superchris129

Lol, my cousin moved his 360 from horizontal to vertical and burned a ring into his oblivion disc. The thing is though, if you don't be a dumbass and move a consel around while it's on, there's no problem.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#57  Edited By Claude

I'm lucky, I haven't had my Xbox 360 that long and now I can play games from my hard drive. I hope I'm good. Turk 182 is a classic. I saw it in the theater, first run.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By lamegame621

Yeah, every single one of my games has been scratched ( by two different 360's). This all happened when my console was completely stationary.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#59  Edited By natetodamax

Dtran1212, you need to chill the fuck out. It's a goddamn video game for christ's sake. That's just sad.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By hatking

Never had a game ruined by a 360, infact I one time even changed the stance of the 360 while a game was running inside by mistake...although the system made some pretty disturbing sounds and I'd never risk that again...the game still functioned fine.

macattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By macattack

I destroyed my dead rising this way, kind of, it fell on its side and then the disc started scratching so i turned it off quickly. I got the disc out, but now it's nearly impossible to open the tray. You have to tap it and blow on it for it to open. I wish Microsoft would have made the disc drive like the PS3.

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#62  Edited By borgmaster

my copy of too human was ruined when....I...sort of...threw my chair and it bounced and pushed my 360 back like 8 inches...but it wasn't too much of a loss.

OdoLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By OdoLives

Happened to me with Oblivion, nice circular scratch all around the disc, although it still works.  Totally my fault though, a friend said "Hey, is it true that when you rotate it from horizontal to vertical that the controller indicator on the green ring reorientates 90 degrees?" .  I said "Yup, watch this" while it was going and then I heard the grind.

If the game had died (it didn't) it would have been an expensive lesson :)

Avatar image for cult_of_cthulhu
    Cult_of_Cthulhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64  Edited By Cult_of_Cthulhu

only once was I stupid enough to tilt that damn thing with a disc in motion and whilst it made a hideous scratching noise it didn't actually leave a mark, trust me once was enough.  I've never seen any disc scratches so I thank my lucky stars. Also I find the DVD player quiter in the upright position.

Avatar image for thegreatandwiseone
    TheGreatAndWiseOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hells yes, my friend's dad moved the Xbox from horizontal to vertical while on... completely killed my Halo 3 CD. There was an engraving 1cm wide. It looked pretty though.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have one of these pretty circles on Halo 3, luckily it still works except for some of the campaign missions.  What I hate is that it did it without moving, and I have it in a horizontal position.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#67  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    dcpc10 said:
    "man, when will MS start treating their fans with more respect?"
    How? you mean from launch having a thing in the manual saying DO NOT move your system with a disc inside and it running, and the same on their site, and the same on the help line....I've not scratched a single disc in my system then again I NEVER move my systems when they are running...Let alone that this is a problem that can happen to most any disc based system *it happend on the ps2 for me* quite a few systems have a stop inside that stops the disc from spinning and then you have the fact that the DVD drive in the 360 is running far far faster then any dvd drive in a console before it.

Centrifical force is a bitch.
    Avatar image for vibratingdonkey
    vibratingdonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#68  Edited By vibratingdonkey

My second 360 (refurb from mid 06 I think) took a chunk out of Saints Row as the console was peacefully standing horizontally in my entertainment center with no tilting or swiveling of any kind occuring. I was sitting 9 feet away so that would've been creepy. Made one of those noises that makes you dramatically leap for the power button in slow motion. Like a year later I also noticed it had ruined my Viva Pinata disc.

Evidently takes a minscule amount of movement for the disc to became unstable. Maybe a butterfly flapped its wings. Microsoft should've installed those bumpers from the beginning, and should now take some responsibility for that screwup, admit this is a problem and figure out a way to compensate people. If it only affects 0.5% of the users it shouldn't be a particularly troublesome undertaking?

A Microsoft spokesman has issued a public statement a year ago already, saying: "Regular use may result in scratches on the discs", but in Dutch. At 6:25. But then of course I guess they could vague that up.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By octaslash

Perfect Dark
    Oblivion

Rest in Xbox hell. 

jehuty_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By jehuty_

Why are people so dissapointed? Does it surprise you? MS are one of the largest businesses in the world and have been investigated numerous times for monopoliseing  the market. All they care about is they money why do they care if the quality of the Xbox is pants, they don't because they know that the millions of pledged Xbox fanboys will keep on coming back for more even if the quality of the console is pants. Let me put this to you how much has Xbox 360 sold world wide? and what is the failure rate of an xbox? now through your own calculations work out on average how many Xboxs fail, and the number of returning customers MS get for a new xbox. come on you didn't think the nearly 30 million sales were all new customers did you, that would just be naive. Some would say RROD was the best thing to happen to MS as it gets them millions of returning sales every time. To draw conclusions from this it would be easy to say that MS Xbox will always beat the PS3 in numbers. becuse out of the 30 million sales (close estimate), and a 30% failure rate (on average) 9 million of them don't work. therefore MS have only sold 21 million working Xbox's and 30% of these due to fail. So they are always going to get  return sales boosting their numbers. PS3 on the other hand have sold close to 20 million (close estimate) and have a failure rate of close to 1% (on average) which gives them a total of 19,800,000 working consoles. Now take a minute Xbox fanboys to contenplate what this means. With almost one fiscal year ahead of PS3, MS aren't that far in front in terms of working console sales. And ypu aren't kicking as much ass as you thought, Also when compared to the first Xbox the PS3 online community grew faster than when xbox live was first released i think.

I realise i have gone way off subject

i am not a fanboy, i have every next gen console only two of them are working though, guess which one is broken i dare ya LOL

i am business student  that kind of explains my knowledge of the subject

And this just needed to be said 

some of my figures may not be accurate

pls message me bk with ur comments on the subject all critisim welcome

keoskey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By keoskey

the only game that got destroyed in my system was a copy of forza motersport 2

Chytynous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Chytynous

Not moving the system whilst the disc spins doesn't seem that hard to figure out.

HTTenrai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By HTTenrai

None of my discs have any circles on them, and they never have before, either. I take excellent care of them, outside of the tray. I also knew early on not to move the unit with a disc in it, as warned by Microsoft. Am I the only one who feels like they've been fairly warned about this from the get-go?

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By cspiffo

All disc drives do this if they are moved unless they are designed not to such as in portable CD players (but those also only spin at 1X).  My Sega CD scratched discs, so did my PS1 and my PS2 had disc read errors.  I've had 3 PC DVD drives crap out as well.  It's just the nature of a technology with fast moving parts.

btw, if you have a dremel and a buffing wheel it is fairly easy to buff out the scratches to make a disc playable again!

Throne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Throne

Well at least they admitted it. And who would be stupid enough to change their position of their console while it's on?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By pause422

Gee, color me sooo surprised. /sarcasm

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#77  Edited By Crono

ruined the first ghost recon when i first had my system by tilting the 360 while trying to change the component cable from low def to high def.

CallMeRotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By CallMeRotten

I still have my scratched to hell copy of NFS: Most Wanted that I got stuck with. All I remember was my 360 buzzing like a chainsaw and when it finally opened up and coughed out my disc it looked like somebody went all wax on, wax off with it on some concrete.

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#79  Edited By ep_driver

I hope Microsoft's terrible lack of business ethics comes back to bite 'em in the ass when they release their next console. I know I won't be buying another Microsoft console but doubt other people will boycott their shit products too.

Haimster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Haimster
    Dilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Dilly

Ive never destroyed one of my own disks, but i did accidently knock over my friend's xbox and ruined his copy of gears of war. He did have the console sitting verically on the floor though...

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By PureRok

My Forza 2 got ruined almost as soon as it was out of the box because my god damn dad decided that he would read the warning about NOT MOVING THE SYSTEM WHEN IT WAS RUNNING WITH A GAME IN IT and then PROCEEDED TO MOVE IT WHILE I WAS PLAYING FORZA 2, no more than 30 seconds after he finished reading the warning.

Now I can't play on that one Maple map or whatever (that map freezes my game).

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By cikame

i swear people used to put ps2's in their cars and i never heard any problems with that, shame that reliability is gone these days.

Chupacabra24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Chupacabra24

It truly amazes me, the lack of common sense some people have.

1. You don't move any kind of CD/DVD player while the disc is inside, period, unless it's like a discman.  Not knowing that your disc can be damaged by a drive being moved (especially dropped or changing the drive's angle) is just retarded on an epic scale.

2. You don't place a console on the floor, ESPECIALLY IN CARPET.  That's asking for your system to be stepped on or fried by static electricity.

It truly amazes me that people don't know this stuff, and no one should be able to purchase a console without it.  I mean, c'mon.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#85  Edited By Randolph
    Bartiemus said:
    "My copys of bioshock and oblivion died in the same way cant play them anymore."
    If you have a 60GB or 120GB HDD, just rent those two games.  Install them to the HDD.  You can now use your circle scratched copies for the disc check and play them that way.
    SusurrusKarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#86  Edited By SusurrusKarma

I've been using my 360 standing on its side for 3 years now and haven't had the problem.

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I had this happen to Call of Duty 3. Due to space restrictions I've always had my 360 standing, and I didn't even move the damn thing. The game froze and when I checked the disc there it was. I got the disc fixed for like $3.50, so it wasn't a big deal.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#88  Edited By kagato

My bros ps2 killed a number of his games because he used to sit it on its side before i told him thats why his games didnt work anymore (he was 8 to be fair).  Personally i think if you sit your machine on its side your just asking for trouble, drives just arnt designed to be used that way.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#89  Edited By SSbabel

If anyone's stupid enough to move there console while its reading a disc, they deserve to lose that disc.

chapman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By chapman12

THOSE SWINES
    is this for every edition of the 360

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Carlos1408

my halo 3 and fable 2 broke because of this, but i got the halo 3 CD fixed in this shop with a magical machine and am going to get fable 2 fixed :)
    this actually happened wen my xbox was still or slightly moved, i always keep it face down never on its side.

JuggaloAcidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#92  Edited By JuggaloAcidman

First of all... I love my 360, lets get that out of the way... The only problem that I have with the consule is... I've broken 4 of them... The first xbox I owned ate discs ON IT'S SIDE without being touched and then promptly overheated it self to death less then a week after the launch. Microsoft replaced it and my games which took around a month. 3 months later... That xbox got the red ring of death... I sent it in, it got replaced. The replacement for that Xbox melted the power cord off of the brick one day. The brick got so hot... In the dead of winter I might ad, it melted and fried the xbox. Microsoft replaced that Xbox, and we've had that xbox ever since (little less then a year). I should have left well enough alone... But I bought a Halo 3 360 when they came out (it's green and orange, nuf said)... It lasted for 3-4 months before it started playing games in black and white for no apparent reason. Then it red ringed... After Microsoft told us the Halo 3 360 had the new internal components, I some how got one THAT DIDN'T... The lady at Microsoft told me around 1/3 of the Halo 3 360 had original 360 guts and the same problems along with it. I take really good care of my games... I still use my old xbox, controllers, games, and headsets.... They all still work. But, when it comes to 360... I have gone through 3 controller (including my green halo 3 controller which microsoft lost and then couldn't replaced because it's limited edition). I'm about ready to get a short in my headset again, this will be number 5! My copy of chrome hounds came out of the box with a crack in it... I recieved one of the non-playable Halo 3 discs... My Halo 360, even after repair, still requires 2 desk fans pointed on it at all times... and maybe a cold pack on top of it... If you want to play longer then 2 hours. 2 controllers have died, one Microsoft lost and can't be replaced. I'm still waiting for Microsoft to send me the code to get my Master Chief armor in Fable2... The WHOLE REASON I BOUGHT THE LIMITED EDITION. What would make this easier... Hmmm, I dunno... IF THEY PUT THE EXTRA GAME CONTENT YOUR PAYING FOR ON THE FUCKING DISC IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! I play ALOT of games... My Wii, PS3, and PC have had NO PROBLEMS AT ALL the entire time I've owned them. I've had my PS3 since launch, the same one, and it still works fine (although it has no games I want to play). I bought my PC when the Quad Core first came out... Over a year ago.... Not one problem! CyberPower PC makes a better product then Microsoft? A Mom and Pop discount PC store has better quality control then Microsoft? Anyway, I just wanted bitch alittle... As much as I like Windows and 360... Microsoft deserves to be sued out the ass for this. If they didn't want a lawsuit... They should have.... MADE A PRODUCT THAT WORKS AS ADVERTISED... WTF? The first consule EVER where 3rd party accessories are better quaility then first party... Microsoft better pull their head out of their ass and start making better quality products...

CheeseFanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By CheeseFanatic

Juggalo Acidman:

You write A LOT!!!!

Double0hFor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Double0hFor

THIS SHIT HAPPENED TO ME! ugh i want in on this lawsuit :(

abombb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#95  Edited By abombb

Can't play bonus songs in Guitar Hero 3 because of this.

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#96  Edited By strangeling

I've always had my (launch) PS2 vertical and never had a problem with it except for the fact that it doesn't like my ~Tekken Tag Tournament~ disc (it still plays other CD games fine.)
    I guess this is just another thing I'll have to be wary of when I get around to buying a 360.

Dastan-
    the main reason Blue Ray drives are more expensive is because it's a new technology.

Avatar image for redactedprofile
    RedactedProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#97  Edited By RedactedProfile

my brother moved my 360 with my copy of SvR2007, left a HUGE circle scratch ont eh thing, effectively destroying my new $60 game. They got me a new copy the following christmas, but still.

princeashitaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#98  Edited By princeashitaka

My copy of Phantasy Star Universe died that way... But I'll be honest. Wasn't planning on playing it again anyway, LOL.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#99  Edited By Chummy8

Never happened to me.. just like the RRoD.

guzzyla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By guzzyla

I guess,  "Microsoft" learned from the American automakers way of building bad products for their loyal costumers....... and that is why I love my PS3 , since I had to send my 360 for repairs 3 times ......... so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.