Do you take someone less seriously when they use the term "Xbone"?

• 119 results
Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: Do you take someone less seriously when they use the term "Xbone"? (399 votes)

Yes 34%
No 66%

I don't know about you guys, but at this point I'll often stop reading a forum post if I see this term being used. Not everyone seems to use it to imply negativity, but even so, it's an annoyingly ugly term that just screams "Let's try to be clever on the internet!" Key word, of course, being try.

If you legitimately believe this term to be a good shorthand for Xbox One, then, well, I'm sorry—it's really not.

Perhaps I just hold words to too high a standard.

#1 Edited by ajamafalous (11994 posts) -

Nope! In fact, I use it whenever I can.

I now, though, can't decide whether Xbone or Xbox One Eighty is better.

EDIT: Also, I guess I should add that I never thought it was 'funny' or 'clever,' just a stupid name for what was a stupid console.

#2 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

No. It's the best option we have. Now if you refer to it as "the one" we have a problem.

#3 Posted by psylah (2177 posts) -

180 is pretty good, now.

#4 Edited by cmblasko (1235 posts) -

No, I think it is fun.

#5 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

Not really. The people I stop taking seriously are the ones that use "M$"

#6 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

I don't judge people based on the acronyms they choose to use...

#7 Edited by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

Wait, why is it offensive? I thought the it looked stupid but I never thought it meant anything.

#8 Posted by LikeaSsur (1532 posts) -

@irvandus said:

No. It's the best option we have. Now if you refer to it as "the one" we have a problem.

"Xbox One" just never occurred to you, or....?

#9 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

I think it's funny when people try to use Xbone in a negative manner like the way some idiots think saying M$ is a way of "sticking it" to them.

#10 Posted by MAGZine (437 posts) -

People thought that the constant barrage of Wii jokes were hilarious, so AFAIC, Xbone was just asking for it.

#11 Edited by Irvandus (2879 posts) -
#12 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Xbox One sounds pretentious.

#13 Posted by dsi1 (164 posts) -

EDIT: Also, I guess I should add that I never thought it was 'funny' or 'clever,' just a stupid name for what was a stupid console.

Best of both worlds: Xbone80

#14 Posted by LikeaSsur (1532 posts) -

@irvandus: ....Okay, let's break this down.

Xbone = 5 characters.

Xbox One = 8 characters (if you count the space).

So you're saying that an additional three keystrokes is just too much?

#15 Posted by Abendlaender (2806 posts) -

No, I call it that. Not to be clever or anything, it's just better then "XBO" and I'm sure as hell wont call it "The One"

#16 Edited by datarez (552 posts) -

No. I use it. I think the Xbox one is a dumb name. It started an easy way to reference it being a dumb name. Then MS started feeding into it with their drm.

#17 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

About as serious as I take someone writing; M$

#18 Posted by Maajin (1063 posts) -

I like it. Rolls off the tongue.

#19 Edited by MoonwalkSA (433 posts) -

Xbone is the best name for it in the same way that "Blops" is the best name for Call of Duty: Black Ops. Nothing negative about it, it's just an abbreviation that flows better than the alternatives.

X1 is also acceptable for when you want to type less and aren't pronouncing it in your head, I guess, but anything that's supposed to have a spoken cadence just sounds better to me with Xbone.

I would never want to use "Xbox One" unless I'm referring to the first xbox, and "Xone" just makes it look you're writing the word "zone" like an asshole.

#20 Posted by CaLe (3985 posts) -

Yes, same for people who use 'dat' and 'M$'.

#21 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11020 posts) -

Yes.

Also, XBONE is what I use EVERY time.

EVERY.

TIME.

XBONE.

#22 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I'm with you 100%, JJWeatherman. If anything, people could type XB1, but Xbone just seems trashy and immature to me.

About as serious as I take someone writing; M$

Exactly!

#23 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Xbone is hilarious.

Xboned, Xboner.

This is wordplay at it's finest people.

#24 Edited by biggiedubs (493 posts) -

Nope.

These kind of arguments usually relate to someone looking for excuses to demean them, which I've never really bought. If you have to rely on their bad grammar or idiosyncrasies to win a debate (By declaring yourself winner by default due to his unsportsmanlike grammar) then they probably deserve more credit than you're willing to give them. If there not particular intelligent, and can't write properly; then that's fair game.

I don't particularly have a problem with Xbone. You're just cutting out two letters, not moving anything around, and it seems way less stupid than the other options. X1? Xbox 1? The One?

Admittedly, if someone was just making 'yo momma' jokes that were just essentially repackaged versions of 'I'm going to Xbone yo momma' then it'd be a bit immature.

I also don't give a fuck about text speak or any other form of bad grammar. Cormac McCarthy? That guys okay in my book.

#25 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

I don't really care as long as you don't call it 'The One.' That's the worst thing that could ever happen, anywhere.

#26 Posted by Jimbo (9810 posts) -

Not really, it's pretty well established now. I can read it without seeing any kind of negatvity or innuendo. I do usually dismiss 'XONE' users as suckups though. People writing out 'Xbox One' often seem more concerned with portraying themselves as 'serious' than actually saying anything.

#27 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (582 posts) -

XBone180 it is.

#28 Edited by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

It was old and unfunny before the reveal even finished. The fact that something so dumb and try-hard caught-on on the Internet, tho, should not be surprising :/

But hey. It makes it easier to identify and avoid the dickish commenters.

#29 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

@likeassur: Yep. Also referred to the 360 as 360. The xbox is the real first xbox.

#30 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -

I don't care, but I always use Xbox One. Now I shall start using Xbox 180 a bit more.

#31 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

If anything, people could type XB1

I don't know. That looks weird. Who mixes numbers and letters? How gauche.

#32 Posted by believer258 (11908 posts) -

@irvandus: ....Okay, let's break this down.

Xbone = 5 characters.

Xbox One = 8 characters (if you count the space).

So you're saying that an additional three keystrokes is just too much?

Xbox One takes too long to say, actually. Besides, I'd rather use "Xbone" - it makes me feel less like a fucking corporate tool and more like a cynical twenty something who is joining every other cynical 20 something in ironically making fun of something really fucking stupid. Sounds like a good enough reason to me.

@dsi1 said:

@ajamafalous said:

Best of both worlds: Xbone80

Brilliant.

#33 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

All of the holier-than-thou backlash for the use of the word just makes me want to use it more.

#34 Posted by Nephrahim (1146 posts) -

I used to, but it's become so common I got over it.

#35 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -

No. I'm surprised to see people get defensive, automatically dismissing people based on what they call a video game console. That said, I shouldn't be. We may not be on Whiskey, but those blue and green names bleed through that red, and this is a serious war.

#36 Posted by tourgen (4500 posts) -

No. now people have Xbox180 to get mad about so maybe Xbone will get a pass.

#37 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Yeah, obviously.
I have every reason to not take anything they say seriously and I never will.
Not now and not when they turn 14.

#38 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Of course not. Xbone is the official name of the system.

#39 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

If anything I feel a kinship with them.

People who hyphenate Xbox, though!? They can all fucking die. They can all fucking die RIGHT NOW.

#40 Posted by oraknabo (1464 posts) -

I take them EXTRA serious

#41 Posted by 49th (2758 posts) -

Xboneighty if you really want to take it to the next level.

#42 Posted by RVonE (4638 posts) -

@mcghee said:

All of the holier-than-thou backlash for the use of the word just makes me want to use it more.

Exactly.

#43 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1639 posts) -

I used it as an effective means of shortening it. I liked the ring to that term. xb1 looks.... awkward. Xbox One is too long. Maybe Xone? Like I'm in the Xone playing on my Xbox One? Maybe we can call it Xbox? I dunno, it hasn't really bothered me much, if at all.

#44 Edited by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

I can't believe someone cares enough to get mad about XBONE

#45 Edited by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

I don't take them any less seriously, but I think 180 is a better name.

#46 Posted by ConfusedOwl (941 posts) -

If I took everyone that says Xbone less seriously I'd be ignoring a lot of people that potentially have interesting posts. So no, I don't take them less seriously.

#47 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

Absolutely not. It's way better than the alternative (the Xbox One was released in 2001, why all the sudden interest?)

It's not meant to be some sort of derisive thing. Calling it "The One" is just absurd (name already taken by Keanu Reeves). And since when do we call things by their full names? This is the internet, the home of GoW, GoT, CoD, GB, Civ, PS, 360, HL3, and MK. Getting uptight about it is stupid. I'm glad it's caught on because it's way better than the shitty name MS (see, I abbreviated it!) chose.

#48 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

@ezakael said:

If I took everyone that says Xbone less seriously I'd be ignoring a lot of people that potentially have interesting posts. So no, I don't take them less seriously.

How's this for interesting?

XBOOOOOONE!!!!!

#49 Edited by Hunter5024 (5683 posts) -

Maybe if they're using it in a negative way.

#50 Posted by CommanderGermanShepard (303 posts) -

I don't even say it in jest it's just the easiest way to say it.

X = X + B = Box + one = XBone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.