Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dan Ryckert

Person » credited in 4 games

Senior Editor at Giant Bomb from 2014 to 2020. Formerly of Game Informer. Author, Guinness World Record holder, lifelong wrestling mark, and failed musician. After a brief stint as Podcast Producer at WWE Ryckert returned to help guide the next generation of Giant Bomb.

Dan Ryckert's Top 10 Games of 2016

• 88 results
    danryckert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By danryckert  Staff

No Caption Provided

Dan Ryckert is an author, professional wrestling manager, two-time Guinness World Record holder, veteran level designer, and the man responsible for the creation of the Waluigiamiibo. He lives in Akron, Ohio with his wife and four children. You can follow him on Twitter.

Hey, a bunch of video games came out in 2016! I didn't like some of them. I liked some of them a lot. Here are the good ones!

Honorable Mentions: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, Watch Dogs 2, Firewatch, Inside, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD, Ratchet & Clank, Clash Royale, Pokemon Moon

10. The Witness

I loved Braid as much as the next guy, so I was naturally curious about what Jonathan Blow would be up to next. During the several years of pre-release rumblings and infrequent demonstrations of The Witness at industry events, I did my best to avoid them. I knew that line puzzles made up the heart of the game, but I knew there had to be more of a mystery to be found. Braid had many more layers than a standard platformer, and The Witness was bound to come with plenty of surprises. My media blackout paid off once the game came out, and I was consistently amazed at the clever methods Blow used to make hundreds of line puzzles feel like unique challenges. No other game this year had me taking phone pictures, loading up Photoshop, or constructing Tetris shapes out of paper. The Witness had me seeing puzzles in random carpet and wallpaper patterns in real life, as its world stuck in my head long after I put the controller down.

No Caption Provided

9. AM2R

A new 2D Metroid is something that fans have been clamoring for for years, but Nintendo has confined the series to ill-conceived spin-offs like Team Ninja’s Other M and the drab Federation Force for most of the last decade. AM2R was in development for most of that time, and the final product stands up to any of the 2D classics that Nintendo has released in the series. I’m a fan of the series that had never played its second entry thanks to the Game Boy’s lackluster screen, so this couldn’t have been a better way to first experience its world. AM2R’s visuals are on par with the excellent Zero Mission and Fusion, and the exploration and action are as good as the series has ever been. This would have been a fantastic Metroid game if Nintendo itself had developed it. The fact that it’s a fan-made labor of love makes it all the more impressive.

No Caption Provided

8. Overcooked!

Ever since the success of games like Towerfall and Nidhogg, you can’t glance at Steam’s new release list without spotting plenty of local multiplayer indie games. Overcooked is one that stands out from the pack. It requires teamwork and plenty of chaotic yelling (a la Spaceteam), and it’s packaged with a charming aesthetic and goofy setting. It’s versatile as well, proving to be a blast whether you’re running a tight ship with one partner or coordinating with a fully-staffed kitchen of four. Running a kitchen with friends is a simple enough idea, and the game does a great job of frequently switching things up with unique kitchen mechanics and numerous settings. There wasn’t a better couch multiplayer game in 2016 than Overcooked.

No Caption Provided

7. Gears of War 4

The lore of Gears of War has never been a huge selling point for me, so I was less curious about the new cast of characters and more interested in how The Coalition’s takeover of the franchise would affect its gameplay. As it turns out, it feels like a Gears of War game and I actually found myself enjoying some of the new characters (and the treatment of returning faces). Horde mode is still fun after all of these years, and the card pack system didn’t turn me off to any significant degree. In a world where even Halo has abandoned split-screen campaign, I was also very grateful to be able to play through the story alongside my fiancee in the same room. Gears of War 4 is certainly “more Gears of War,” but The Coalition did a fantastic job of justifying the start of a new trilogy.

No Caption Provided

6. Titanfall 2

Respawn’s debut effort in 2014 made waves thanks to its innovative concept and the pedigree of its developers. Now that the studio is established and the game’s Titan-based multiplayer formula was well-received, the sequel needed to address the issues fans had with the original. Namely, more multiplayer progression, and a real-deal story mode. Titanfall 2 adds plenty of unlocks and customization options, and surprised me with a story mode that not only exists but excels. Big moments, gameplay-based surprises, and a heavy emphasis on platforming helps this campaign stand out among the numerous shooters released this year. Coupled with a much deeper multiplayer suite, this is every bit the sequel that I had hoped for.

No Caption Provided

5. Doom

I’m by no means alone when I say that Doom succeeded in ways that I never would have expected prior to release. Within five minutes of the game starting, I was laughing out loud and wondering how things could possibly ratchet up from there. Crushing imp skulls and blowing enemies apart with the shotgun seems tame by the time you’re bouncing between monstrous enemies like a pinball, chaining glory kills and leaving rib cages and entrails in your wake. This game knows exactly what it is, and it revels in the over-the-top destruction in a way that had me smiling from beginning to end.

No Caption Provided

4. Picross 3D: Round 2

My time-travel game. I commute to work, and that often takes upwards of 45 minutes. If I grab a seat and there’s juice in my 3DS, I can make 45 feel like 10 by loading up Picross 3D: Round 2. It’s not just that it’s great for passing time, it’s great period. I’d have happily accepted a few hundred more puzzles in the vein of Picross 3D, but Round 2’s new color system changes so much about how you approach these block puzzles. It seems complex at first thanks to numerous tutorials, but any fan of Picross will quickly shift their way of thinking to accommodate these new blue and orange tiles. With a great presentation, a new take on the gameplay, and a huge assortment of puzzles, Picross 3D: Round 2 will be one that I return to for years.

No Caption Provided

3. Hitman

In the past, I’ve generally appreciated the idea of Hitman games more than I’ve enjoyed playing them. The series clearly encouraged creativity and presented the player with ample tools to create chaos, but I always felt like the controls and mechanics were a bit too cumbersome. 2016’s Hitman isn’t completely free of frustrations, but it plays better than ever, and leans hard into its open-ended nature. Opportunities for stupidity are everywhere in this entry, from hastily throwing soda cans into targets’ heads to terribly bungling missions with ill-placed proximity mines. Its episodic format and elusive targets kept it in my rotation throughout the year, and I’ll happily continue getting Agent 47 into trouble once the next season begins.

No Caption Provided

2. Overwatch

I’ve always loved first-person shooter campaigns, but my history with multiplayer offerings in the genre is a little more spotty. My lack of a gaming PC growing up kept me away from Quake, Unreal, Counter-Strike, and many other seminal titles. Once online multiplayer came to consoles, I learned to love playing games like Halo and Call of Duty against other players. When Overwatch was first announced, I thought it would be more along the lines of PC multiplayer offerings like Team Fortress. Without a campaign, I worried that I’d play it for a couple of weeks, get eclipsed in skill by other players, and end my time with the game.

Seven months later, and I’m happy to say that I was wrong on just about every front. Team Fortress comparisons died off soon after release, as Overwatch quickly established itself as much more than a copycat. I liked the characters way more than I expected, both in terms of personality/design and in their unique arsenal of powers. Jumping around from hero to hero and learning which ones fit my playstyle was a blast, and I’m still finding new favorites months later (oh hey, D.Va is great!). With Blizzard’s track record, it shouldn’t surprise me that Overwatch is as good as it is. I look forward to playing it well into 2017 and quite possibly beyond it.

No Caption Provided

1. Stardew Valley

If I had personal winners for all of our site’s categories, Stardew Valley would take the crown in many of them. It’s certainly my Biggest Surprise of the year. ConcernedApe (Eric Barone) would take home Best Debut. Its music was my favorite of the year, with a soundtrack so catchy and upbeat that several tracks became my real-life morning alarm song.

Most importantly, it’s my favorite and most-played game of 2016. This was the best kind of out-of-left-field surprise. I hadn’t even heard the title of the game until it released on Steam and started earning some positive buzz. My job is the only reason I gave it a shot in the first place, as the prospect of a Harvest Moon-like wouldn’t be something that I’d seek out if Jeff hadn’t asked me to check it out for a potential Quick Look.

Stardew Valley grabbed me from its touching setup, with your character’s grandfather passing away and leaving you with a plot of land in a small farming village. You decide to leave your soul-draining corporate job and move there to pursue a more simple life, and the variety of activities you can pursue is staggering.

Each in-game morning, the day started and I left my house excited to see what I’d be doing. I didn’t have a set schedule for my days, and opted to adjust on the fly based on things like crop availability and weather. Some days were spent digging up and reorganizing fences. Others were spent optimizing my crop layouts and placing scarecrows. If it was raining, I tended to hike to the mines and spend my hours slashing through monsters. If it was a clear day and I didn’t have a particularly hefty crop bounty, I’d bounce around town, giving gifts to my crushes and foraging for items that would complete my community center bundles.

The excitement I felt returned each morning, and directly led to many nights in which I played for hours on end when I told myself that I’d only play for one in-game day before going to bed. It’s amazing to me that this indie farming game hooked me just as hard as new entries from two of my favorite franchises of all time (Metal Gear Solid V and Super Mario Maker) last year. Stardew Valley is my favorite game of 2016, and one of the most memorable and surprising games I’ve played in many years.

No Caption Provided

MasterSwanny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Way to represent the actual best game of the year Dan! Stardew Valley got the most hours from me this year

ActionMan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great list! I'm surprised Stardew Valley made it to number 1. I knew Dan liked it a lot but I definitely thought Hitman would be higher than Stardew on his list.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom not #1. Shame.

bathala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo lawyers are not happy with this list

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By CoinMatze

That is a great pick for number 1! Stardew Valley is my second favorite game this year. I haven't found the time to jump back in but I have an itch ever since that big content patch came out.

MarekkPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Picross 3D: Round 2 and Stardew Valley

*kisses fingers*

hsghsghsg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stardew Valley is incredible. Super glad to see it stuck with Dan after all these months. What a game.

Great list!

ChunkyGerbil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way you like Overwatch over Hitman!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

good stuff dan. you've shamed me into trying to play some more stardew valley.

homelessviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom, Hitman, Stardew, Titanfall 2, and Overwatch are gonna be the contentious tops spots on the final day considerations, huh?

Avatar image for fromautumntosal
    FromAutumnToSal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

love the list

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Itwastuesday

PICROSS 3D!!!!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@homelessviking: i think stardew's only real supporter is gonna be dan. he may fillibuster hard on it, though!

dvdwalker8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#15  Edited By dvdwalker8

Pretty much the list I expected from Dan. Figured a couple of the games might be a little higher on the list than they ended up. I watched all of Dan's Stardew streams and am currently playing the XBOX one version.

Demonsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Doom at number 5 and putting it below Stardew Valley is a crime!

DurMan667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By DurMan667

Man, Stardew Valley is such a good game. Need to get back to it at some point. Burned out a little after playing it for two solid days the first week I had it.

Phoenix87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was expecting Hitman to be #1

machinerebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Not surprised by #1, that's for sure! I am surprised that Hitman didn't get the 2 spot, but I know you played a ton, so I can't blame you!

And obviously Picross 3D.

Avatar image for captaininvictus
    CaptainInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom at number 5 and putting it below Stardew Valley is a crime!

Stardew Valley is a relaxing joy, while DOOM is a frantic one. While I'm surprised SV is his #1 over DOOM, it's definitely a game I've gotten over 200 hours out of over the course of the year, so I totally understand why.

dovah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that Dans favorite game is a life sim.

Relenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Relenus

Man, I should really get back to Stardew Valley.

Smeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Smeat

Bit surprised at Hitman not being higher since I would have figured he would have favored that game more than Overwatch or Doom for the Big 3 this year.

johnseminario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danryckert Is that shot from Stardew Valley your actual farm, or a promotional screen? Because, holy shit, I'm so far from that...

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He almost made it without mentioning Metal Gear. Never change Dan. Never change.

Avatar image for deactivated-6256d396c4133
    deactivated-6256d396c4133

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan with the actual Game of the Year at #1.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Captain_Insano

Yes Stardew Valley. Remember he played way more Overwatch outside of the office. Hitman has mainly been an office thing for them.

pinefresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pinefresh

I'm glad Stardew hasn't been forgotten since it was released so early in the year. I played the hell out of that game and loved every minute of it.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dan it's such a shame you didn't discover harvest moon before this year. please play A Wonderful Life on gamecube, I think you would love it so much. a daily series from new york?

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great list, Dan! Gonna finally try Stardew Valley.

Calvinball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have inspired me to reinstall Stardew Valley, @danryckert. The death of my free time is on your hands.

Cronstintein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cronstintein

I thought Clash Royale would sneak into the bottom of this list. Maybe instead of that metroid game. Best phone game of the year, that's for sure :D

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rasrimra

Omg Dan I am so happy with your top 10 list. That is probably the best list I could have hoped for. At least I'm not alone in appreciating and enjoying some of these 'smaller' games as much -or even more than- the usual (big promo AAA budget sequels).

I bet you'll love Factorio once it is finished.

jasperkazai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan putting Stardew Valley at 1 makes me rethink my own ranking. I bought it soon after release (which is rare for me; I usually wait for sales) due to talk of it from people like Dan, and spent over 100 hours in it in a short period of time. Don't think I gave it enough credit now, since it's been awhile since I played. I also need to go revisit it... there's been a lot of new stuff added since I last played.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, didn't think OW would make #2 for Dan, great to see!

Owl_Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A fantastic list, Stardew Valley at #1, and he's from Akron, Ohio. What a win, win, win situation.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I actually agree with the number 1 being number 1 on your list. Kudos! GL with the move and hope you and your family have the best Christmas/Holiday season!

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn dude if even Dan didn't put Hitman at #1 then maybe it's not the lock-in for GotY that I thought it would be. I can definitely see Brad choosing Doom over it and Jeff as well.

scrappypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By scrappypixels

Great list! Really tidy write up to, may have to actually jump on stardew valley

SuperSonic1305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That 5 star honourable mention.

coldwarcudi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The lore of Gears of War has never been a huge selling point for me

That much is apparent--six years later, and I'm still eagerly awaiting part 2 of the 82 part Gears of War: Anvil Gate Super Readplay.

Nagafen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crazy how Uncharted 4 didn't really impress any one, I didn't like it but it's like Halo now, people are done with it.

Marv89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Marv89

Great list! Really tidy write up to, may have to actually jump on stardew valley

I just got it on the steam sale. Thought I wouldn't be into it that much as it usually isn't my type of game, but holy crap, did I sink a lot of hours into it over the holidays... Definitely give it a shot

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By Player1

Wow, I just jumped out of my seat when I saw that Stardew Valley was your number 1! Fantastic explanations for all of these games. Thanks for all that you do Dan, can't wait for you to make it to New York.

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
    soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan's QL of Stardew was what sold me on the game. Almost makes up for him kept trying to push Witcher out and pushing Mario Maker to the top last year :p

Neau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with Stardew Valley, and can't understate how excellently made it is. I really adore that game.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Really surprised to see no Uncharted 4 on here. What a great year for games.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Picross 3D: Round 2 and Stardew Valley

*kisses fingers*

Dan Ryckert for GB Duder of the Year!

thisisdell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good list!

tiffanytryhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By tiffanytryhard

Great list, the right choice at No. 1.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.