Video problems (including Roku/Chromecast/etc)? Get in here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cdr_Jameson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@emperium said:

Starting yesterday, videos just don't seem to play anymore on my LG tv (webOS ver 5.80.35) browser. They also no longer show progress bars on videos I've watched even though some are still listed under the Continue Watching heading. Videos worked fine before the only issue that I had in the past that still exists is that clicking on video thumbnails in the carousel underneath a video page will not link me to the video I clicked on. Please help, thanks.

I am having the same problem. Since yesterday I am no longer able to start any video, or download, on my LG tv browser.

shades846

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

So not technically a bug but have they tested the website on iOS 13.1 beta for iPad and does it fix the really bad streaming for premium shows as it just skips for me on 12.4.1 still.

WTFOliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On older videos there are moments where a tiny bit of audio will replay some way into the video but the video itself keeps going and thus it becomes out of sync, both the repeated bit of audio and it becoming out of sync is really annoying.

Have not noticed this watching newer videos but been watching a lot of old stuff and it happens in videos of all lengths from at least 2010 and back, I'm also on Firefox if that makes any difference.

friskyhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cdr_jameson:

Same issue for me on Samsung tv browser. Can't select the play button on any videos. Also carousel no longer working, scroll buttons are invisible.

bathala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie:

This started happening 2 weeks ago. Can't click videos to play on site anymore using LG OLED web browser.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#856  Edited By elmorales94

@friskyhat:

I am having this same issue in the browser for my Samsung MU8000. Videos no longer play at all. This has been happening for a few days now.

edit: also Burgle My Bananas Episode 04 404s on every browser I've tried when you try to access it from the "Latest" or "Premium" video menus. Series carousel works fine though.

Party_Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having issue when trying to watch on IPads too. Won’t let me play video or download. Started happening as of last Friday?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Hey, I apologize for the smart TV issues - I'm not aware of anything changing in the recent past that would affect them but I'll file a ticket and see if Will can look into it. I'll also bring the iPad issues back up with him - sorry for the trouble. He's out of the office for the rest of the week, though, so it might take a bit of time to get these sorted.

Avatar image for deactivated-610c321d60197
deactivated-610c321d60197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

Hey, I apologize for the smart TV issues - I'm not aware of anything changing in the recent past that would affect them but I'll file a ticket and see if Will can look into it. I'll also bring the iPad issues back up with him - sorry for the trouble. He's out of the office for the rest of the week, though, so it might take a bit of time to get these sorted.

Stop apologizing bb

luv u

Brad3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the last few months on a variety of iOS devices every premium stream has had buffering/repeating issues. I know I’m not the first to mention it. Thought it would have been taken care of by now.

Tested devices: iPhone X, iPad Pro 1st Gen, iPad Pro 3rd gen, AppleTV 4K.

Every 1-2 minutes the stream will skip backward and repeat several seconds. Makes premium streams almost unwatchable.

polarisinparis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just chiming in with my own history of watching livestreams on iOS being a nightmare. For at least the past year, livestreams regularly hitch up and rewind back to an arbitrary point over and over, across several models of iPhone and iPad. Here are two examples from tonight’s UPF:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/220322452981415936/627280341291368469/video0.mp4

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/220322452981415936/627277870653374464/RPReplay_Final1569624503.mov

At this point, I’ve just accepted that I can’t watch livestreams despite being premium, and just download them afterwards instead. It’d be really cool if we got word on investigation into this bug so that could change!

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#862  Edited By conmulligan

Given that the livestream issue spans multiple Apple devices and OS versions I wouldn't be surprised if the HLS stream being served falls outside of Apple's spec in some fashion. I was debugging some HLS stuff on Bomb Cyclone anyway, so out of curiosity I ran today's UPF stream through Apple's Media Stream Validator which spit out a bunch of errors and warnings. Most of these seem to be pretty minor and likely not the source of the issue but it might be worth having someone run a stream through the tool just in case it turns up anything useful.

BillyB25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#863  Edited By BillyB25

I'm having the same problem watching live streams on iOS. I've tried watching on my Apple TV, iPhone, & iPad and they all start skipping backwards 5 seconds. It skips using a Giant Bomb app and going directly to giantbomb.com using Safari. This has been going on for a few months now. I was hoping iOS 13 would fix this, but it's still the same. Instead of watching live I just wait for the archives to go up, but I do miss watch UPF live.

Avatar image for blizzardbuffalo
BlizzardBuffalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#864  Edited By BlizzardBuffalo

I'm running into the same issue that a few have mentioned in this thread. All Live streams rewinding about 5 seconds backward, then resuming from that place, and it's happening very frequently over the course of a live stream. This is happening with iPhone on safari and chrome as well as bomb cyclone app, iPad on safari, and apple tv with the giantbomb app, as well as apple tv with airplay. Switching video quality doesn't improve the issue. Please help! Very annoying issue :(

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

@brad3000 said:

For the last few months on a variety of iOS devices every premium stream has had buffering/repeating issues. I know I’m not the first to mention it. Thought it would have been taken care of by now.

Tested devices: iPhone X, iPad Pro 1st Gen, iPad Pro 3rd gen, AppleTV 4K.

Every 1-2 minutes the stream will skip backward and repeat several seconds. Makes premium streams almost unwatchable.

Ok, so this isn’t just me. I’m on the latest iPad Pro. Really sucks that I can’t watch live and stay on pace with chat.

TomyDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like the last few posts, I’ve been having trouble with live streams on my Apple TV & other iOS devices. Thought it was my connection but other things stream smoothly. Thinking about holding off renewing premium until this is resolved. Why be premium when all the videos I want to watch can’t be consumed?

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Yeah Im in the iOs boat as well, iphone X, imac and apple tv 4k and regular, all have the same issue, and this has been over half a year now, considering ending my premium if nothing happens by the end of the year.

DeathMetalDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. When I click on play on any video on the site, the audio will start playing, but the video won't. If I click again both the audio and video will play, over the original audio so it's playing two audio tracks at once.

2. Using Chrome and incognito and different quality options don't seem to make much of a difference. It seems to coincide with using Youtube as the player, I never had problems with video playback when the site was using a proprietary video player.

Video Player on the Giantbomb app on my XB1 works fine and so do livestreams on both chrome and XB1. I don't know why archived videos seem to be exclusively the problem.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

waterlovinguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: I see that myself. We're looking into it. Thanks for your patience.

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Starting this morning, immediately after the Doraemon Story of Seasons Quick Look went up, I've been getting 403 errors trying to watch on Video Buddy (iOS) which is linked using the boxee code method. I can't watch or download the videos but everything else in the app still works like searching and such. Hopefully not a Video Buddy killing problem as it's my absolute favorite way to watch videos. For now I can hit the "open on the site" option and watch them there then go back and Mark As Watched in the app.

I tried resetting the app, relinking the account, changing my password and relinking. A lot of the usual suspects. Thanks for any help because I know VB isn't an official app or anything.

Fantastical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#872  Edited By Fantastical

@kindofblue said:

I'm scared of casting any videos from my phone to my new Android TV with built-in chromecast because the default volume when starting is 100 and I'm afraid it'll blow out my speakers...

Yes, this is awful and makes casting unusable for me. Even if you try to cast, pause, and then lower the volume, when you play again it will be back at 100. It's done it the last three time and I can't do it anymore. My neighbors must really hate it. The device I'm casting to is my Vizio P Series 55 2016 if it matters.

EDIT: I guess the solution is to decrease the volume on the video player in your browser before casting but I don't think the video volume should have any bearing on what volume your TV is set to.

joey2683

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Progressive Videos stopped working. HTML5 is working. Tried on 10/11/19 UPF and the most recent Grapes and Wrath.

txandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I always use the Giant Bomb Enthusiast app on my Firestick to watch content on my TV or iPad. Starting this morning, a video I was watching stopped in the middle when watching on my iPad.

I have now tried on 2 different firesticks and the iPad again but videos won't load and I am met with a 403 response code.

Videos work just fine when I played them directly from the browser on my phone or PC.

fredpd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having the same issues on iOS, all of the apps fail to play videos. This happens on both iPhone and iPad, on Video buddy, bomb cyclone, and gbtv.

Reinstall, relink, nothing works. Website plays fine.

Any ideas?

reclaimerdc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started having Chromecast issues yesterday.

Setup
Chromecast 2nd Gen
Windows laptop running Chrome

Description
The videos play fine on my laptop directly. When I choose the cast option it stutters really bad. This happens with all videos and quality settings.

I've tried playing GB content from YouTube on the same browser and casting and it works fine --- It's just the GB site where this happens.

Prior to yesterday this setup worked fine.

CharlesDA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Wwe 2k20 quick looks shows up as a live stream that ended hours ago for me, alternating between four and a half to two hours ago each time.

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update on my Video Buddy post above. About a day later things started working again. Watching videos this morning, similar time of day as last time, the 403 forbidden error has returned. Seemed to coincide with the The Outer Worlds Quick Look going live (similarly to last time the bug happened) and when I try to download videos in the app I get the prerecorded Jeff error message.

txandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@txandrew:

Apps on iOS and FireStick worked for a few days but I am now back to a 403 response error and can't load any videos.

bassguygt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#880  Edited By bassguygt

Video buddy app on iOS iPad stopped playing in the middle of Jeff pro skater 3 this morning. After that I get the error message video with Jeff's voice. Unlinked and relinked account to no avail. No videos will play in the app.

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#881  Edited By Griffinmills

My iOS and video buddy errors from above still persist. Same symptoms as bassguygt. Only way I can get videos to play is the web page. At one point, if I waited 24 hours this would fix itself, until it happens again usually around the time a new video goes up early in the AM pacific time. Now it seems to be a more permanent thing?

bluebearsw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#882  Edited By bluebearsw

Same issues as above. Watching videos midstream then will stop as if buffering. Then no videos are available with Jeff’s error message. Waiting 24 hrs does fix it but it happens again. Seems to affect my iOS device only as my fire tablet and tv can play giant bomb videos, albeit from a different app.

Update. It’s happening on my fire devices as well.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the Giant Bomb Enthusiast App not reflecting recent videos on Firesticks for anyone else?

icytower38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just going to report the same issues with both Video Buddy & GBTV not playing videos.

iPhone x & iPad both with latest version of iOS

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Updating my updated posts above. Giving iOS apps 24 hours no longer seems to (temporarily) fix the 403/etc. errors. Nothing has worked for days now other than the site player.

bluebearsw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any new suggestions on what to do with videos not working? It’s been days and at best I get 15 minutes before a video pauses and I can’t watch anything. I’ve waited the 24 hours but once a video starts it happens again. Seems couple of other users are experiencing the same issues.

Avatar image for giant_frying_pan
giant_frying_pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Add me to the list of people having issues watching videos via apps.

Video Buddy and Video Bomb on Android. Can't play anything, reinstalled and relinked account. Before, I could play a bit of a video before it would stop playing. I can only watch on the site.

CitizenErased

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Add me as another having issues with videos via apps.

Just tried to watch Brad's SSD video on the Xbox Giant Bomb App and got the Jeff narrated error message. Also tried the Luigi's Mansion 3 QL and got the same error. Went into settings and regenerated and app key from the site and the error persists.

After coming here and looking at some posts here I tried viewing the same Brad video on my Ipad via GB Video Buddy and also got the Jeff error message. Obviously something in the auth chain is borked.

Watching the video through the site works fine.

CitizenErased

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apps are all fine now. Must have been a glitch in the matrix.

icytower38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apps are all fine now. Must have been a glitch in the matrix.

I’m still getting the error messages on both Video Buddy & GBTV.

I will say that I didn’t have issues yesterday, but when I tried this morning I can’t get anything to play

ThePizzaBaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was watching Extra Life on an AppleTV at Saturday 11/2 around 1am and went to sleep. In the morning at 8am the LIVE icon is missing at the top and can’t get the feed. I tried restarting the app and the AppleTV

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video Buddy seems better, for me, for the last 24 hours. It even loads up and responds faster than it used to. Thanks for your efforts in this regard Rorie and the Top Men Gang!

chedominik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still have problems with GBTV and Video Buddy. The video loads and plays for about 10 minutes and then stops. After that I only get the error message video and I am locked out for 24 hours.

Hasemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#894  Edited By Hasemo

+1 for having problems with apps. Video Buddy and GBTV on the latest iPad iOS.

I had the same problems 2 days ago, it fixed itself yesterday and worked until the first half of today, but after that it suddenly stopped. No error messages, videos just don't load at all.

As for watching videos on the site, regular videos work just fine, but I'm getting Jeff's error message when trying to load premium ones (it was the same when iOS apps were broken for me 2 days ago).

pgyura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#895  Edited By pgyura

Using an IPad app on old and new version IPad called Giant Bomb video Buddy. Unable to watch or download videos. I have unlinked and relinked my premium account and still unable to watch. App is up to date

Hasemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#896  Edited By Hasemo

Looks like I can watch videos in iPad apps again! Hopefully this time the fix will last.

Edit:
Well, after 30 minutes of watching videos on my iPad, it stopped mid-video again and is working anymore...

Edit 2:
Getting Jeff's error video when trying to watch premium videos too. These also worked earlier today.

V_Ben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My premium video feed (all videos, hd), hasn’t refreshed since Monday - any fix appreciated :)

intangir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#898  Edited By intangir

I'm having issues with GB Video Buddy and GBTV (both iOS) and Video Bomb on Android. Seems like a similar problem to others above - I can sometimes start watching a video but it will stop after ~45 seconds and never continue. Most of the time they just won't even start. Are there any updates on this? Thanks!

squashysquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#899  Edited By squashysquish

As of the last few weeks, videos always run perfectly until about 10 minutes in, where they freeze and become impossible to resume. I’m using Bomb Cyclone on iPhone X. Never had issues with it before. Tried rebooting/reinstalling the app to no avail.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@forcen said:

Just tried to watch this video with my Chromecast 2: https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/super-nintendo-64-super-stream/2970-19482

It started stuttering after a short bit, tried it twice.

This again but with this video: https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/bloodstained-part-02/2970-19480/premium-video

It stutters for a bit but if you let it stutter for maybe 5 min it sorts itself out? It's weird because I was casting other videos earlier this week without any problems, think it was a nancy drew video.