Video problems (including Roku/Chromecast/etc)? Get in here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#901  Edited By SteveVice

So thing were finally going better with the livestreams, for a couple of weeks, but now im sad to say its worse than ever on the apple tv app

Audio is fine but its like a frame every 2 or 3 seconds.

Posting a video as proof

https://youtu.be/RlDiBC_Nino

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I guess I spoke too soon or the problem has returned. Can’t watch on iOS devices again here either. Give that server a love tap again please!

OrwellHuxZam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chromecast is doing that fun stuttering thing again.

Kin3tiK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Does anyone know what CDN/provider GB use to stream their premium content? It's unwatchable on chromecast for me, stuttering and freezing constantly. Trying to figure out if it's chromecast or some sort of routing issue between GB CDN and my ISP.

Lazycon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

For a couple of months now playback on videos has been very frustrating. Constant stop and buffers sometimes requiring full reloads of the page and then still waiting. Today i tried to skip to the point of 80s songs video and it just buffers for minutes on end with no video forth coming. I'm on a windows 10 laptop with updated chrome. I've been having to watch all non premium videos on youtube just so i can get through them with out large buffer times. Streams work fine, all y other streaming sources have no issues. Just Giant bomb. Love you guys and the content but the player seems to really be suffering since you guys switched to cloud.

cdirks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also having Chromecast stuttering issues for the last couple of weeks. Only seem to happen during Giant Bomb videos, and even then it only appear to affect newer videos. I've been playing old Demo Derby videos with no problems, but trying to cast more recent stuff (Burgle My Bananas, Extra Life, or Worst Songs of the '80s) from the desktop site's video player always yields the same stuttering.

Hasemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

iOS videos in apps aren't working again. I really hope we could get an update on this issue, since it seems like it's affecting quite a lot of people here.

ShaggsMagoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The chromecast stuttering bug has reappeared for me as well over the last week.

Avatar image for hustleandmotiv8
hustleandmotiv8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: hello i'm having a Player error encountered Response Code 403 on my fire TV can someone help me

muffs92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having stuttering and constant loading in Chrome. Sometimes it does a weird slo-mo thing too. This is with HTML5, progressive doesn't even load once I scrub to where I left off in a video.

Copywright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video playback havent been working on LG webOS for over a month now. Any update?

Emperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also wondering if there has been any progress with this issue.

Video playback havent been working on LG webOS for over a month now. Any update?

Avatar image for deactivated-609ba772e99db
deactivated-609ba772e99db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hustleandmotiv8 said:

@rorie: hello i'm having a Player error encountered Response Code 403 on my fire TV can someone help me

I'm getting the same error using the android app "The Giant Bomb Enthusiast App" on my nvidia shield. I also can't download any videos on the site now due to this error "Based on your subscription level, this content is unavailable"

Avatar image for nihilisticmonkey
nihilisticmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stevevice: Set the quality in the Apple TV app to High rather than HD and it works. Either a bug or they've changed something with the encoding maybe? I dunno....

reclaimerdc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An update to my previous post:

I was hoping maybe it was just a faulty Chromecast Device. I miss my GB content so I went out and got a new one. Unfortunately no change, still have the stuttering and skipping when playing from the site :(

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@nihilisticmonkey: Thank you so much. I didnt know i could change it. But its still a borked situation

jackw1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No Caption Provided

I'm unable to play any video on an iPad 2nd generation, via built in Safari Browser (and Chrome requiring an unavailable ios update (as device is so old) to install, so not tested). Video player, along with description, download button, and tags all selects as though a single button, with no result nor video player appearing. See reference image's outlined area where nothing is clickable.

Avatar image for nihilisticmonkey
nihilisticmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stevevice: Yep, it sucks. Over the last 12 months of my Premium membership, I think there's been some form of video issue (Buffering, stuttering, rewinding, iOS/Safari playback, now ATV) consistently. I can't think of a single time I've sat down and gone "yep...all this works perfectly"

Access to 100% of the content 50% of the time...on 50% of your devices... :(

Avatar image for deactivated-604750e2483a0
deactivated-604750e2483a0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jumping in with sameish problem ... streaming chrome desktop player to chromecast 1.42.172094 will begin stuttering after a few seconds of play, no matter the settings (aside from youtube) ... no issues streaming from video bomb app on phone, though

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

jumping in with sameish problem ... streaming chrome desktop player to chromecast 1.42.172094 will begin stuttering after a few seconds of play, no matter the settings (aside from youtube) ... no issues streaming from video bomb app on phone, though

Hmm, let me see if I can give this a whirl tonight.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hustleandmotiv8 said:

I'm getting the same error using the android app "The Giant Bomb Enthusiast App" on my nvidia shield. I also can't download any videos on the site now due to this error "Based on your subscription level, this content is unavailable"

Is this still happening for you? I believe this issue should've been resolved last week.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazycon said:

For a couple of months now playback on videos has been very frustrating. Constant stop and buffers sometimes requiring full reloads of the page and then still waiting. Today i tried to skip to the point of 80s songs video and it just buffers for minutes on end with no video forth coming. I'm on a windows 10 laptop with updated chrome. I've been having to watch all non premium videos on youtube just so i can get through them with out large buffer times. Streams work fine, all y other streaming sources have no issues. Just Giant bomb. Love you guys and the content but the player seems to really be suffering since you guys switched to cloud.

Do you run into these issues on GameSpot using their on-site player?

Lazycon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#926  Edited By Lazycon

@rorie: I don't think I've ever even been to Gamespot thinking about it now. So no I wouldn't have that as a frame of reference.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazycon said:

@rorie: I don't think I've ever even been to Gamespot thinking about it now. So no I wouldn't have that as a frame of reference.

If you have a chance to check out a video (any video) over there that might at least let me know if this is a video player issue inherently or if it's something site-specific. You might also want to try using the Download button in Chrome and seeing if Chrome's video player performs any differently.

Lazycon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Will do. Heading out for vacation but I'll try to remember that. Thanks for responding. The site is so great so I try to prefer using everything here instead of youtube. Keep up the great work!

silverthorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having issues on PS4 browser, where the video I'm watching will randomly skip to the end (as if I've finished watching the video), and will proceed to the next video on the queue.

d0ub1ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Using the “Download” video player fixed it on Chromecast for me!

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#931  Edited By benjo_t

I'm currently having a thing where videos seem to play twice. What I mean is, the Youtube embed loads, but the GB player seems to load behind it, and both embedded videos start playing. Running Firefox 70.0.1 64bit.

Edit: Looks like a known bug, hopefully a fix can be found. Thanks to everyone working on improving the site, your efforts are really appreciated.

reclaimerdc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi @rorie,

I was checking back in on this and saw your posts above. I do not visit GameSpot typically but I just tried out playing a video from their site to Chromecast and I'm experiencing the exact same thing. I hope this help! Just let me know if there's any other testing or anything I can do.

Groovetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some time on a roku plugged into my TV, and fairly recently on a windows PC and a macbook air laptop (both using chrome) I have been having serious issues trying to watch premium content. For months on roku, premium videos have constantly stopped to buffer every 10-30 seconds but recently this has started happening on my pc and laptop as well. Granted my internet is not the best, but other video streamlining services (netflix, youtube etc) have no issues. Its only giant bomb premium content it seems. (non-premium stuff works fine, but Im guessing this is because its coming from youtube?)

Could it be some sort of ISP conflict or something? I have used 2 different routers while this has been happening and it is the same with both of them.

If I try to use the download feature on the player the video just simply never loads and I get the constant spinning loading circle.

Is there anything you can think of that might be worth trying? forwarding some ports? flushing some caches?? GB videos are my favorite way to unwind and I would love to be able to watch them stress free again!

Avatar image for platonicgryphon
platonicgryphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• What kind of issue are you running into?: Video Pausing while audio continues, after a second or two video will catch up. Happens every few seconds
  • Any specific videos where it’s occurring?: All.
  • Browser where issues are occurring (have you tried another one?):Issue only occurring with Firefox.
  • Are the issues the same in incognito mode or when you disable extensions?: Occurs whether in incognito or all extensions disabled.
  • If not, what extensions are you running?:
  • Have you tried switching from HTML5 to Progressive streaming? Did this help your issue?: Happens in both, progressive has longer periods between skips.
  • Have you tried switching from Auto quality to one of the other options? Did this help?: Happens only in HD, though I have at least 100 down and buffer bar is longer.
hummusboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey there,

As of late, have been unable to play any videos on my LG TV. Was fine before, but now clicking the play button does nothing. Also no ability to select progressive or html 5

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was having issues with watching premium videos with the video constantly freezing but audio still playing and I think my aging computer can't handle the HD version of your videos. Switching to High solves it. Is HD supposed to be 4K?

reclaimerdc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since Chromecast wasn't working I went and bought an Amazon Fire Stick 4K hoping that the GB Enthusiast app there would resolve my problems.

Unfortunately, I just get endless buffering with occasional playback then freezes and buffers some more :(

This happens on Low quality even.

So far the only thing that works for me is playback directly from my browser.

kurbe1mr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

To echo some other posts - playing the HD quality on an Apple TV 4K plays audio fine but video freezes. This is on the Giant Bomb Videos app. Version 2.0.4. Turning to high works.

suikoden352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nihilisticmonkey: thank you so much for this tip. It’s nice to be able to watch vids in my living room without having to fight with the site vids through my phone browser. Here’s hoping narrowing the issue down to something in relation with the hd video quality option on Apple TV 4K will help get this issue resolved soon.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So, I have a Roku TV and I found a Giantbomb app on the available list of channels to add to my home screen but the app seems to not work anymore. I'm not sure if this is an official app and its going to be fixed at some point or if its just a 3rd party app that was abandoned would be neat if the app was actually updated to work properly.

Shabtai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been having constant freezing and buffering for months when streaming videos at the HD quality in my computer browsers.
It seems like the max d/l speed i get when playing the video is 7.5Mbps...No problems in Youtube or anywhere else.
When downloading a local copy of a video i get full speeds using my download manager.

shneebs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am having serious issues trying to play videos on my laptop, using Chrome as my browser. Videos are constantly pausing to buffer every few seconds on any quality setting other than Low. I have tried HTML5 and Progressive, and tried using the "download" button to try and watch, no success. Oddly the problem is not constant, sometimes videos will buffer and play perfectly, other times not - this can sometime vary even between different videos on the site.

On Youtube, my phone, my Smart Tv and in the xbox one app, I have zero issues playing videos at 1080p60. Problem only occurs on the website, on my laptop. Tried different browsers as well, no luck. Incredibly frustrating! Hope there is something I can do to fix.

cmungall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#943  Edited By cmungall

Hello, Apple TV4K here.

Live video feed has audio and video de-sync issues consistently. Moved to High from HD and still same issues (although not as quickly).

Gross.

majorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The latest episode of Clue Crew, Water's Edge Part 3, is no longer appearing in the Roku app—it was on the recently played listing, but once that got shuffled out of rotation I went to look at the Clue Crew show listing and it's not there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CoaleTrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#946  Edited By CoaleTrain

@rorie

Hi all, general video thaaang for the west coast group. The last two videos seem to have some sync issues at least on the archive on the website. Looks like the video is about 2-3 frames ahead of the audio (especially on the last 2 vids, Call of duty playdate and Steam requests). Obviously I'm not privy to all the tech you guys use on your end, so it could just be annoying stuff that Jan and Jason may know about already. Thought it would be worth mentioning in case it hadn't been noticed yet for future streams. Love all the content regardless duders.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rorie as of earlier this week, videos no longer play on Giant Bomb for me. I click the play button and it just stays black. The video thumbnail also doesn't appear.

I use Firefox on Windows 10. I do not adblock the site, and I even have it whitelisted in Firefox so it doesn't block trackers or anything else.

CamGearz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie as of earlier this week, videos no longer play on Giant Bomb for me. I click the play button and it just stays black. The video thumbnail also doesn't appear.

I use Firefox on Windows 10. I do not adblock the site, and I even have it whitelisted in Firefox so it doesn't block trackers or anything else.

Hey, just wanted to report the same thing here. Using Chrome browser on my laptop, windows 10. Same as the user above, no adblock or anything. I first noticed it earlier today while trying to watch last weeks UPF but I clicked around other videos and same result. At the time, Alex's live stream of Fight for NY did work, but only live. As of right now, no videos will play for me at all.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@camgearz said:
@authenticm said:

Hey, just wanted to report the same thing here. Using Chrome browser on my laptop, windows 10. Same as the user above, no adblock or anything. I first noticed it earlier today while trying to watch last weeks UPF but I clicked around other videos and same result. At the time, Alex's live stream of Fight for NY did work, but only live. As of right now, no videos will play for me at all.

Hey, your reply to my message has made me discover another bug. When I put my cursor on the bell icon in the top right corner of the site to make notifications appear, the dropdown window appears for half a second before disappearing and prompting a full width-long red banner to appear on which is written "there was a problem displaying recent messages, try again later". This feels related to my original bug.

hybrid_aries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am also having the same issue as the above users where I can't play videos on the site. I'm using Firefox on Windows 10, no adblocker. I was able to play videos on the site as recently as a couple of days ago, so something recent must've broken it. I was able to tune into UPF and the Gaiden the Ring streams yesterday just fine, but video archives are no bueno.