The Community Spotlight - 04/30/2016

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

Edited By Marino  Staff
MODOK Ryan still gets me (Many thanks to Ronnie Filyaw for this)
MODOK Ryan still gets me (Many thanks to Ronnie Filyaw for this)

Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host this week! Well it appears that we have all collectively recovered from our post-PAX East stupor. As the insanity of the last week subsides into memory it appears that the Giant Bomb Community has been creating plenty of non-wrestling experiences on the site.

Which one of you is from Kenya?
Which one of you is from Kenya?

Clip(s) of the Week

Giant Bomb Timelapse: Drew Vs Cyborg Ninja & Giant Bomb Supercut: Metal Gear Scanlon Comparison View(By: @mepsipax)

Mepsipax provides us with a hilarious time-lapse featuring every single one of Drew’s attempt to defeat Cyborg Ninja in Metal Gear Scanlon. Mepsipax also decided to compare Drew’s and Dan’s opinion of the opening set piece of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain between the first and last episode of Metal Gear Scanlon V.

Dan Island(By: NeoGeoGetterRobo)

Remember that reverse video of pogs being dumped on Dan that I promoted last week? Here's that, but to the Dead Island trailer music...and you can blame @pepsiman that this officially exists!

Prof. Killa's Bizarre Adventure (By: @kaivyre)

Oh we aren't free of PAXAMANIA II's ridiculous nonsense yet! Austin asked for it on Twitter, so Giant Bomb user Kaivyre obliged! Here's a video that merges JoJo's Bizarre Adventure with Professor Killah!

Giant Bomb Galleria

BANNER - Heroes and Villains of Giant Bomb (By: Ronnie Filyaw)

Ronnie Filyaw created this AWESOME Giant Bomb staff poster that you should all check out.

GB Sports Logo & Hitdan (By: @graboids)

If Giant Bomb operated its own sports franchise; graboids has an idea what its logo should be! In honor of Dan and Brad playing Hitman Episode 2, graboids also created a wonderful "Hitdan" poster.

Saint Alex(By: @bleatingheart)

On Twitter bleatingheart/Janine Hawkins decided to depict Giant Bomb East's very own Alex as the savior that we all know him for being.

No Caption Provided

Community Activities

2016 Road Warrior Events - Nurburgring 24 - June 4-5 (By: @datarez)

The Giant Bomb iRacing.com Community plans on participating in the Nurburgring 24 event! Learn how you can join their effort by clicking the link above.

The Giant Bomb Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes Community Guild (By: @foxmulder)

We have a NEW GB guild for Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes! Learn how to join it by commenting in the thread above!

Best of Blogs

Many congratulations to JeanLuc for joining GameSpot, and being a part of its esteemed video history!
Many congratulations to JeanLuc for joining GameSpot, and being a part of its esteemed video history!

Today I Leave To Start My Dream Job At GameSpot (By: @jeanluc)

Giant Bomb user JeanLuc has been hired to become a video producer at our sister site GameSpot! Congratulate him on his announcement blog.

A Personal Video Game Retrospective (1986-2015) 2004 (By: @riostarwind)

RioStarwind leads you through a personal journey on how he enjoyed video games in 2004, on his latest gaming retrospective blog post.

We Were The Real Dark Souls All Along (By: @mooseymcman)

MooseyMcMan comments on how much of a torturous and exhilarating an adventure Dark Souls III can be to even a Dark Souls veteran over here.

Phantom Pain: Thoughts on Severed & (By: @darth_navster)

Darth_Navster shares his extensive thoughts on Severed, and why he implores all Vita owners to buy it right now. Also, Darth_Navster updates you on how his time with the Dragon Age series has been, with a new blog on even more DLC he has played as well as his time with Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening.

I read Mento's blog and I still don't understand the appeal of
I read Mento's blog and I still don't understand the appeal of "Chronogaming."

The Mario Zeniths and Pachi-Slot Nadirs of Chronogaming& Sunday Summaries 24/04/2016: The Witcher 3 & Viscera Cleanup Detail & InFamous Second Son (By: @mento)

Firstly, Mento leads you through the weird and oftentimes exhilarating world of "chronogaming." Secondly, Mento shares his latest adventures with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and Viscera Cleanup Detail, as well as his wiki edits.

Weekly Update #21 - April 26 (By: @qreedence)

qreedence shares why Stories: The Path of Destinies is an unfortunately named buried treasure you should consider playing.

PAX: Not Quite A Trade Show (By: @gamer_152)

Fellow moderator Gamer_152 questions PAX's status of being a pure "trade show" event, on his latest blog.

Join the Discussion

Is Miyamoto's Continued Involvement In Nintendo's Hardware And Software Detrimental? (By: @jeffrud)

I am amazed that we are still getting new Dark Souls III forum topics
I am amazed that we are still getting new Dark Souls III forum topics

Is Shigeru Miyamoto's continued involvement in Nintendo's hardware and software detrimental? Share your two cents by joining our community poll and debate.

Is DayZ In Development Hell?(By: @bdead)

Does DayZ qualify as being in Development Hell? Can Pre-Release Public Testinggames qualify for this dubious status? Share your thoughts related to the matter on discussion thread.

Call of Duty - Infinite Warfare Reaction Thread (By: @dafdiego777)

"Call of Duty - Infinite Warfare" just rolls off the tongue when you say it, but not really. Feel free to share your gut reactions to the leak/announcement of the Call of Duty reboot that millions have been pining for.

Dark Souls III Fight Club Experience Sharing Thread (By: @dprotp)

Dprotp hosted his very own fight club in Dark Souls III accidentally, and welcomes you to share your experiences with the party based feature as well.

Dark Souls III Favorite Boss Poll and Discussion Thread[MAJOR SPOILERS !] (By: @coffeeraygun)

If you have finished Dark Souls III feel free to join the community poll and debate on which boss was the best.

Hitman Episode 2 Community Discussion Thread (By: @grulet)

Feel free to join and participate in our official community discussion thread for episode two of Hitman over here.

Doom - Single Player Impressions Sharing Thread (By: @humanity)

If you have been enjoying Alienation feel free to share your experiences with it on our discussion thread.
If you have been enjoying Alienation feel free to share your experiences with it on our discussion thread.

Based on news, demos, and video coverage of it, what are your early impressions of the Doom single player campaign?

The Old Gods Hearthstone Expansion Discussion Thread (By: @jakob187)

Our official community discussion thread for The Old Gods expansion for Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft can be found here.

Which Game Genre Do You Most Want To Have A Revival?(By: @jdizzlefoshizzle)

Are there any video game genres that you feel are poorly represented with this current generation of consoles and games? Share which genre you would you "resurrect" in an instant.

Alienation Discussion Thread (By: @grulet)

Have any of you tried out Housemarque's twin stick arcade shooter Alienation? Feel free to discuss it with other owners of the game.

Dota 2 6.87 Update Discussion Thread (By: @onemanarmyy)

If you are a Dota 2 fan, dear GOD I will pray for you if that is true, feel free to join our community 6.87 update discussion.

Useful User Reviews

Lovable Lists

But really... don't buy a Leap Motion.
But really... don't buy a Leap Motion.

The Handful of Leap Motion Games That Don't Suck (By: @kewlsnake)

kewlsnake made the "mistake" of buying a Leap Motion Controller, but here's a list of games that he thinks use the device well.

1985 (By: @ringedwithtile)

Ringedwithtile uses his list to explain why 1985 is one of the most important formative years in video game history.

Police Games (By: @warcat777)

warcat777 is working on a list where players control "honorable" police officers. Check it out and see if you can help him out by citing more examples.

5 Games That Could Save VR (By: @darkbeatdk)

Could it work on VR? DarkbeatDK thinks so!
Could it work on VR? DarkbeatDK thinks so!

DarkbeatDK can think of five games that could "sell" him on any VR platform. Discover what they are, and see if they make sense.

Wonderful Wikis

Lucid9: Inciting Incident

Thanks to recent edits totaling over 400+ points, our wiki page for Lucid9: Inciting Incident is worth checking out.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Saint Alex to me is a religion.

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
Bicycle_Repairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That illustration at the start is really incredible!

BillyIdle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man! Nice artwork Ronnie, I thought someone was emulating Whomp! but I should have known.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By hassun

@csl316: Do you mean Žižek Nantucket?

The GB sports logo is so damn good.

And thanks to Ronnie for the fanart!

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Thank you for the mention, and amazing content from everyone!

graboids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

lots of awesome stuff this week, thanks for including me!

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Oh man that Saint Alex art almost made me drop my laptop. Sooooo good

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Pepsiman

I'm so honored and fulfilled that Dan Island is now canonized. Thank you.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Fantastic poster!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

amazing artwork

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan Island's pretty good, but I don't know...

Loading Video...

Nice list, also fun to see artwork from Ronnie here!

Mepsipax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie Thank you so much for again featuring my dumb youtube stuff!

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I want that first image as a poster or shirt that'd be dope

Liontard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh geez, I've never been popular before. Thank you for featuring that Dan Island video I made.

Sk4mikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see that gamebomb.ru still has most of the Russian demographic

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aw man, I had a notification saying one of my threads was gonna be featured. Guess it got cut.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As someone who's always sorta been on the fringe of the community, what's PAXAMANIA, and who is Prof. Killa?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#21 Marino  Staff
Cluter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cluter

I really, really,REALLY want that poster to be available for sale.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhh... why is Roundabout by Yes a Jojo reference?

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#25 riostarwind  Moderator

Thanks for always mentioning my blog post @zombiepie. I meant to comment on last weeks post but I didn't get around to it. So I'll just say what I should have said last week. Anyone who was apart of the GBCER should at least archive their videos youtube. You never know someone might be interested in your videos later on.

Plenty of good videos and art this week. I feel obligated to mention @ringedwithtile list of games from 1985. Because I think he does a better job of conveying why these games meant so much to him. Anyone who likes reading about older games should check it out.

BiggNife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BiggNife

@paulunga said:

The first season of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure would always end with the beginning of Roundabout playing followed by "To Be Continued..." when the main melody kicks in (usually freeze-framing on a climactic scene or cliffhanger). Roundabout is the credits theme to Jojo season 1 because the writer (Hirohiko Araki) has said he listened to Yes a lot while writing the original manga and personally requested that the animation studio try to use that song.

Jojo as a series has like ten million references to classic rock. It's Araki's thing.

Ringedwithtile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ringedwithtile

@riostarwind: Thank you! I really like your retrospective blogs as a mural of memory and passion. How even games that frustrated us, ones we used to enjoy, or just ones we remember having are all important because they occupy some section of our mind when we think about games.

Keep up the good work!

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@biggnife said:

@paulunga said:

The first season of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure would always end with the beginning of Roundabout playing followed by "To Be Continued..." when the main melody kicks in (usually freeze-framing on a climactic scene or cliffhanger). Roundabout is the credits theme to Jojo season 1 because the writer (Hirohiko Araki) has said he listened to Yes a lot while writing the original manga and personally requested that the animation studio try to use that song.

Jojo as a series has like ten million references to classic rock. It's Araki's thing.

Ah, thanks. Yeah, I've known about the references, Dio is an obvious one as are a lot of the Stand names, but as I don't read the manga or watch the anime I didn't get that one.

pogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice art but awe man, now I am bummed and missing Ryan. Time to go back and listen to old episodes.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

Hey here's a suggestion for Wonderful Wikis!

For years it feels like I've been keeping the Heroes of the Storm wiki up to date to the latest patch/latest hero myself. I remember the first time I saw the page, it was a year out of date still having info about items and gold in it. Fixed that, went away for a year, came back, a year out of date again! Fixed it again, made a note to stay on top of it. Put in a complete list of Heroes so it'd require monthly updates to stay in date and it'd be obvious when it was terribly out of date.

However now there's a new editor in town by the name of @nes who has done a real nice overhaul of the wiki! It's really nice to have some new blood on that page, especially since he touched up all the Hero mini-bios of which there were over 50. A lot of those were out of date I'm sure given a combination of balance changes, redesigns and the simple fact that I know some heroes better than others. I gotta stress again, there's over 50 of the fuckers! Really hard upkeep problem, it's super great that he's done the work! There's also a lot of nice formatting stuff, it's bang up work.

facktion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By facktion

That banner tho! I want a printable version to hang on my wall.