Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Apr 20, 2018

God of War is a soft reboot on the franchise of the same name. It sees Kratos and his son Atreus traverse a world of Norse myths.

Do you like the new direction of God of War?

• 93 results
    Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Poll Do you like the new direction of God of War? (712 votes)

Yes 78%
    No 5%
    Undecided 13%
    Other / See Results 3%

Personally I LOVE the "Dad of War" angle.

I like the new camera, change of scenery, and what we've seen of the gameplay, sure, but it's the bigger changes that actually excite me. Kratos being more human? Teaching a son? Growing out a sick beard? Count me in!

Beyond the gameplay and story, in a purely "styyyyyyyyyyyyle" sense, the fact that the aim is for the entire game to be shown in one continuous shot, with no cutscenes, loading screens or cutting between camera angles or cutting forward in time, is NUTS.

Finally, the only thing I was worried about (a lack of bombastic set pieces) has been settled in Corey Barlog interviews where he's said they will still have that in the game (where it makes sense, of course). They just wanted to show an intimate scene for the first reveal to demonstrate the new direction for the franchise.

Anyway, I'm clearly pumped, but what do you think?

• 
    MC_PEA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

For me i've never cared about God of War (played half of GoW 1 and gave up) but that demo made me interested

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I voted yes. I will make the little comment that it is hard to say if this will be the right direction, but it does seem to be a good direction for them. They could never touch the gameplay of better games in that genre (Devil May Cry,..) so going for something completely different might work.
    Although, this is just very much following what is popular now, open world, rpg, dark souls.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like Jeff, this is the first time a GoW game has intrigued me much at all.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I love it. I was into GOW 1-3, never got into the PSP ones, but once I heard David Jaffe's plan to move into other mythologies I was hooked. Every sequel thereafter was so unbearably boring.

Now, they are doing something new and taking the series into another direction entirely. It can only lead to good things.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

i feel like we haven't seen the big thing about it. There's a floatiness to the animation and during Tomb Raider 2013 I could point exactly the moments where Cory Balrog was involved in. Like right now it's mocap toned down, I'm waiting when we will that happen, I mean it's in that killing the giant beast.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Trilogy

Not really. I've only ever played the first game, and I really enjoyed it at the time. I don't have God of War fatigue, but I understand why they would make significant changes. I just think it looks a little dull so far, but I've only seen what they've shown at the press conference. To me, different doesn't automatically make something good, even if different was desperately needed. It has to be the right kind of different. I need to see more I suppose.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm afraid it's another Souls clone, though it's way too early to judge.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the first two God of War games. God of War II is one of my favorite games from that generation. By the time God of War III rolled around I still enjoyed it for the spectacle and gameplay but I definitely didn't care about Kratos or his story anymore. I bought God of War Ascension when it came out and still to this day have only played about 90 minutes of it. (That said when Ghost of Sparta came out I did really enjoy that).

Either way after this break of time and how much I loved those games at one point I would have gave a God of War game on PS4 a chance but my expectations were pretty low. I thought they'd either go for a new start or just go even bigger than God of War III and just try to rope people in with the huge spectacle.

I'm really glad I was wrong and what they've shown so far has blown me away. I never thought I would actually care about Kratos as a character again but it seems like they've gone and done it. Just that little moment of Kratos reaching for his son after he killed the deer makes him more human than anything in the previous games. Slowing down the pace, making the gameplay more deliberate, seemingly making it a more open world, introducing more RPG character mechanics, etc. It seems like they're making all the right decisions. I'm completely into it based on that reveal.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really. I love the character action game/3d brawler/whatever genre. What they showed looked nothing like that and more like a cinematic tomb raider deal, so while it's fresh, it's maybe not my kinda thing. But we'll see, right.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's just dumb in a dumb way to carry on the story in another mythology with the same dude. But I've never been interested in the series anyway and I can totally live with GoW games continuing to not appeal to me.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of indifferent right now. They're saying there is more of a focus on Kratos and that the kid is a major part of the game and thats pushing me away more than anything

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, doing literally anything new with Kratos's character is an improvement as far as I'm concerned.

I was never huge on the gameplay in this series, but always liked the set-up and spectacle of them enough to play 'em. This reboot seems like the perfect change-up of removing the things I didn't like, while keeping (and hopefully improving) the parts I did like.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do love vikings and i love Tombraider and i loved the first God of War games but im not so sure combining those 3 are the best way to go. They already messed up the combat completly in Ascension and i hope this wont be a repeat of that.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I downright hated the traditional God of War series. While I would say the trailer looked okay, I would also say that I don't trust that it is representative of the whole thing and I'm not inclined to make a decision based on it.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ivdamke

I've always thought Kratos was a garbage character so it's a welcome change, so yea I like the change but I was never big on previous GoW games. I hope they improve the combat from the showing though, that shit looked rough. Since I've always thought GoW was a bad character action franchise this change will make me accept less than perfect combat though.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely!

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I liked the old God of Wars a lot because I didn't take it seriously. I think this direction is...interesting I guess, but I'm not sure how on board I am yet. I need to see a lot more gameplay.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Retris

The Last of Us but with a Spartan Demigod beating down beings from Norse mythology? If the gameplay and the story turns out good I totally like the sound of that.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

The new God of War trailer actually made me give a shit about a game called God of War... Never expected that to happen.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I don't know about the gameplay changes, since I obviously haven't played it yet, but if the feel is good, I don't mind them changing it up from the more basic hack 'n slashing.

Can't really say about the setting though, because it just feels so odd to see the same character in a different environment, where he assumedly moved to, after having killed a whole bunch of gods and titans. I'll say that it did manage to make me want to know more about the story if anything.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I'm down with the new direction. I have enjoyed God of War through God of War III. Ascension is the quintessential example of how long the previous generation of consoles was and was just a dud in general. And I haven't played through the portable games. Another game like that, with that formula, with the same pace, with the same camera angles panning across the screen to show you this specific area has been unlocked, with more "ARES!!!" Kratos would be too much for me.

I kind of rolled my eyes when they said at one of the PlayStation Experiences that Santa Monica was making a new God of War. Seeing what they are going for, however, I think it's awesome.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Anund

I guess I am in the minority here because I really loved GoW 1 to 3. In fact, the first God of War was singlehandedly responsible for getting me back into the console world after only gaming on the PC for something like 10 years (I didn't buy a PS2 until 2005). I always found Kratos a highly enjoyable character and I feel he gets shit on way too much by people on this site.

That said, this new direction for the series looks amazing. I can't way to play it.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ezekiel

No. It looks generic, like they're going for the typical modern cinematic presentation. Another sluggish walking and talking game with a zoomed in over-the-shoulder camera that limits the action and makes it harder to see the epic environments. I can already tell the dialogue is going to be awkward by the way Kratos encourages his son to be self-assertive and two minutes later goes, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! ONLY FIRE WHEN I TELL YOU TO FIRE!!" I would have preferred a new protagonist.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have decided to wait and see.

Not that I don't like the new direction... I do; and I welcome it because it is about time they made some changes. But I am going to wait to see a little more to decide.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, loved the old games but I'm excited to see just how many risks they're taking. Seems like they're making an entirely ddifferent game.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I love God of War 1, 2, and both PSP/Vita games. God of War 3 was technically a great game but the awful writing in that game turned me off to the series. If they can make Kratos a character who is reflective and a cool character again I will be super happy. I also dig they are even giving it a more personal fighting experience opposed to just going into arenas and doing mostly long ranged melee attacks.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OurSin_360

My biggest concern is the combat as it just looks rather slow and clunky. Im all for introspective Kratos with a kid but im also worries a bit about how they handle that narratively and in the gameplay and whether itll make things slow and boring. God of war is definitely one note but they did thay note well imo and the gameplay was always fast with cool boss fights. So i guess I'll just wait and see

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if the game is not good it's funny there are people upset on Twitter that it's a "Bad Parenting Simulator".

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes! I was ready to completely write off another GOW, but they really did something new and interesting to a series that has pretty much been the same for six games. Props to em!

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By damodar

I don't know if I would have been interested in more traditional God Of War, but hopefully it hasn't just turned into an imitation of the third person action game du jour that is the Souls series. But I guess it says something about how tired things had become that they've changed it so much.

Biggest disappointment is that they've changed so much, going as far as a completely different geographical setting etc but it's STILL Kratos. I just think he's an awful character. I can get behind a good anti-hero style character, but Kratos is immature and whiny, with very little motivation beyond he's really angry. Father issues too, I guess, but there's nothing there to relate to or get attached to except for I guess "Who is he going to be a real dick to next??!?". Well, to be fair, that's pretty much based on God Of War III. I don't remember if I disliked the character as much in GOW 1 and 2, but I think he was preeeetty thin in those.

It would have been much more interesting if they'd at least done the same thing as the other new entry into a tired series with the name G___ Of War and brought in a new protagonist.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think I played the demos of the first two God of War games and that was about it. The games were more of a punchline to a joke, than an actually game I every though about playing. But, I am interested in this game. If it really is a game that continues to have a slightly slower more thoughtful/tactical battle systems with a more 'emotionally complex' story than I'm all for it. Understand I get that there needs to be some fun it it, and if you get your rocks off seeing Kratos bang some chicks that's fine. Maybe give the women in the game some agency or reasons to bang him, and let them be fully developed characters who exist in that story for dozens of other reasons. Perhaps, make the battle less frantic and button-mashy and a bit more tactical. Don't kill off all the side characters to make Kratos mad or to provide over the top 'motivations'.

Understand, I don't want the fun sucked out it. I'm not here to "yuck" anyone's "yumm"; but I would like the fun to make a bit more sense and be a bit more mature. This game looks interesting and I would hate to think I was tricked with that early trailer if teh game goes back to the same old game play and tone it had in the past.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Very much so! God of War's had a bunch of games (and remasters of those games) in recent times, so some reinvention is more than welcome.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes that trailer blew my mind.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not completely sold on the gameplay (simply because we haven't seen that much of it, and I wasn't that tired of the old style yet) but the series seemed like it was in such a narrative dead end I hated the thought of going back to Kratos again. But I'm all for writing him as having matured and as less of a caricature, and in that respect I thought the demo super effective. I'm shocked I'm as interested as I now am in another God of War.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I never beat the first one. Got to Hades and just stopped playing, but with that said I love the new direction of the new game.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Yes, because the original God of War was tremendously overrated. It was way, way too easy for the type of game it was and it wasn't nearly complex enough. This style makes that concept fit a whole lot better. It really needed that small injection of Dark Souls deliberateness.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It remains to be seen. There is something to be said about how fast the original combat was compared to what they showcased in that scripted demo. I don't think any God of War fans were chomping at the bits to slow things down. People wanted more depth, like a Bayonetta or Devil May Cry, not slower and more realistic combat.

Also I get why they gave him an axe because of the setting but man what a lame weapon choice after those amazing chain-blades.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I'm very interested in this game, but the combat did not look great. I'm confident that Santa Monica Studio can make this a great game though.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I was a huge fan of the main series. GoW2 in particular is one of the best gaming experiences I've probably ever had. That said, I felt they made enough of them and would've been fine if they dropped the series. This new approach is not something I ever really expected, but it's definitely welcome and has me very much intrigued. If they must continue the series, this is the way to do it.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By doctordonkey

I mean, companies realized that character action games just don't sell any more, so making another one in the same style would have been a bad financial move. In place of every single DMC/Bayonetta/God of War game there is instead going to be a game that heavily borrows from Dark Souls and TLoU, because that is what sells.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Loving it, we've had enough games in the old style already so seeing these changes feels fresh!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm finding the praise for the game to be super weird. The demo didn't really show much and everyone is just excited like it's nothing like any of the GoW games. Would people be excited about it if it was a new IP.

It really seems like they're trying to deceive people because they didn't think it would sell as well without the God of War name. It doesn't look like they've kept anything from the series.

Beyond_Recall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely. I was initially disappointed to see that Kratos was still the main character--it struck me as a commercially driven decision that clashed with the overhauled setting and tone. But the crew's impressions last night made me more comfortable with it, as they made it sound like Barlog really wants to overhaul the character as well.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm finding the praise for the game to be super weird. The demo didn't really show much and everyone is just excited like it's nothing like any of the GoW games. Would people be excited about it if it was a new IP.

It really seems like they're trying to deceive people because they didn't think it would sell as well without the God of War name. It doesn't look like they've kept anything from the series.

Taking a known franchise and flipping it on its head or adding a twist is often far more interesting. Having only played GOW3 Remaster and not liking the combat or camera angles, the new look has peak my interest plus being a direct sequel has me very curious. More often than not new IP fail they are inherently very risky its much harder to grab someone attention with the unkown.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the first couple God of War games at the time, and from a gameplay perspective, but I thought Kratos was a lame character. I don't really like the cut of his jib, and hes very one note.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm interested. I thought that the dialogue in that trailer was pretty awful and I'm not sold on having a kid around at all times, but it's interesting to see them try something new. God of War 3 will always exist so I can go back to that if I ever need to, I say they try whatever they want with the new one.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it looked great! I really prob wouldnt be that interested if it was another bottom masher. If they can slow the combat down a bit, but also keep the GoW intensity, and hopefully add some nice depth in the combos, it looks like it could be amazing! Prob most interested Ive ever been in the series. They were always more I should play them as a technical show piece, then really wanting to.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Whitestripes09

I think it's a good decision to have this series take a new direction, but if it's going to be a story driven game then it needs to have some pretty great writing. The decision to have Kratos as the MC seems like a mistake already because his journey pretty much concluded in 3. What we have seen so far is... meh. It's kind of generic, but there's potential to at least have great bonding moments between Kratos and the boy. I hope this is less "teaching my boy to be a man" and more "Kratos finding redemption through a new life and world"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.