Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 21, 2017

Set in a galaxy far from the Milky Way, Mass Effect: Andromeda puts players in the role of a Pathfinder tasked with exploring new habitable worlds and investigating mysterious technology.

Bioware official statement: ME:A patch support is over.

• 71 results
    GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GundamGuru

Bioware posted an update to their official blog today, saying:

Since the release of Mass Effect™: Andromeda, we’ve worked hard to address feedback from our community. From improving animations to expanding customization options, we looked to respond to your concerns, and build on what you loved.

With each patch, you let us know we were heading in the right direction, and we're grateful to everyone who joined us on this journey. We're proud of what we created, and we hope you enjoyed it as well.

Early in development, we decided to focus Mass Effect: Andromeda’s story on the Pathfinder, the exploration of the Andromeda galaxy, and the conflict with the Archon. The game was designed to further expand on the Pathfinder’s journey through this new galaxy with story-based APEX multiplayer missions and we will continue to tell stories in the Andromeda Galaxy through our upcoming comics and novels, including the fate of the quarian ark.

Our last update, 1.10, was the final update for Mass Effect: Andromeda. There are no planned future patches for single-player or in-game story content.

In the coming weeks, our multiplayer team will provide details of their ongoing support and upcoming content, including new multiplayer missions, character kits, and what’s in store for N7 Day.

We appreciate all the millions of people who came with us to the Andromeda galaxy. We hope to see you again in the Mass Effect universe.

The Mass Effect Andromeda Team

It's probably also worth noting, ME:A is currently on sale for $20 on Origin, so if anybody was wanting to check the game out in its final state, now is as good a time as any.

It kinda hacks me off that I'd have to buy a book or comic to find out what the deal was with the Quarian ark, but I guess we all knew this was coming. This is probably the worst value I've ever gotten out of a Deluxe Edition.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

What a colossal boondoggle.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I'm gonna have to check this out down the line. The shit storm, which I didn't really pay attention to but couldn't avoid, has gotten me curious about this game and I'm not even that big on the series.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if there will ever be another mass effect game now. I guess multiplayer loot shooters will be all we get after awhile.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This thing might have actually killed the franchise it was so unbelievably bad. I doubt there will be another Mass Effect, period. Just Dragon Age and Anthem from here on out.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Damn.

This game didn't look that bad. Boring, tedious, and terribly written, sure, but not unplayable garbage fire bad.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

. Boring, tedious, and terribly written, sure, but not unplayable garbage fire bad.

Now THERE'S an Ad campaign.

Mass Effect games are expensive to make. They built up value to the brand over three games, and then they demolished it with this one. It's tarnished.

I believe the IP still has value and there will be another game. I think Andromeda didn't sell well and not many people played it, and the first trilogy is so well regarded that in 5-7 years they can try again. One bad game doesn't necessarily destroy a series (Sonic still exists.) People who grew up with Mass Effect will want to see more in that universe and there's still a ton of stuff to explore. They'll call the game "Mass Effect 4" and tie it more closely to the first 3 games and people will be curious.

But this was a historic misstep. They did tens of millions of dollars of damage to a very valuable brand.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People saying there will never be another Mass Effect are being a little over the top. Dragon Age 2 had awful reception too and they turned it around (arguably) with Inquisition. They'll never make another game set in the Andromeda universe or use that branding in any way, sure, but EA isn't going to let this franchise die until (the rest of) Bioware is working in the Battlefield mines.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OurSin_360

@justin258: its not that bad really, it just wasn't great. What killed the game though were the bad animations and proportions, it just became a meme and didn't have strong enough gameplay to overcome that in tge public. Multiplayer was fun and combat in single player was probably the best in the series.

It was death by Internet.

Pixel_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can not believe how bad they fucked up. They actually found an arguably compelling way to continue the series and just completely blew it. It is sad to see a universe die.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LeStephan

So now's finally the time to play my copy huh?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wish they could of patched the cringey dialog this is the most disappointing game of the year they basically killed this franchise.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

https://youtu.be/J9gKyRmic20

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought they had destroyed all goodwill already with Mass Effect 3. [/S]

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pixel_junkie: It was a cool premise and also a way to diverge in crazy ways from the original ME trillogy. They could have gone all the way stranger in a strange land with it. Oh well. Maybe some good mindless action for $20 but I got plenty of that to go around already.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Glad they are still updating the multiplayer. I'll check back in when more of that stuff is out.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

As someone who is currently playing the game, I can confirm that it's about as much of a bummer as you think it is. There's a certain B-movie charm to a lot of the bad dialogue, but that doesn't really hold up over the course of a game that is dozens of hours long. And once you get past that, it's a pretty boring open-world "RPG" with competent shooting and dull quest design.

I'll probably have more to say on it eventually, but I suggest anyone who doesn't have a strong sense of morbid curiosity stay away.

Adaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

As a pretty big Mass Effect fan I really felt Brad's pain in his review of Andromeda. Even though I haven't played it yet, from what I've seen I don't think any amount of patching could've fixed what was wrong with the game.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

People saying there will never be another Mass Effect are being a little over the top. Dragon Age 2 had awful reception too and they turned it around (arguably) with Inquisition. They'll never make another game set in the Andromeda universe or use that branding in any way, sure, but EA isn't going to let this franchise die until (the rest of) Bioware is working in the Battlefield mines.

Uhhhhhh

No, DA2 murdered the potential of DA. Also, Inquisition wasen't even that good. Witcher 3 completely overshadowed it in the RPG market.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cmblasko

I really think they should have just made Andromeda as an online multiplayer game and forgotten about single player altogether. Sell your loot boxes and your skins and make some money off of the Mass Effect name instead of digging an even deeper hole for it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:
    @teddie said:

Uhhhhhh

No, DA2 murdered the potential of DA. Also, Inquisition wasen't even that good. Witcher 3 completely overshadowed it in the RPG market.

Uhhhh DA:I was a big and pretty good game and they are making another one right now. Witcher 3 is better than just about every RPG ever, so what.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow! That was fast. Not even a year after release. It's a real shame, because I really liked the original ME trilogy, or at least 2 and 3. What a hot mess.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything about Andromeda just breaks my heart. One of my favorite universes in games, dragged through the mud. I truly hope ME isn't put "on ice" permanently.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

@mcfart said:
    @teddie said:

Uhhhhhh

DA2 for it's faults was at least memorable, I can barely remember anything from Origins.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

And this is how Mass Effect ends for the foreseeable future: Not with a bang, but with a whimper. I'm enjoying the game well enough on it's own merits as a sci-fi shooter RPG. But I can empathize with those that are into the original Mass Effect trilogy way more than I am, and I can't deny that Andromeda is one of the most disappointing games in recent history, probably worse than No Man's Sky depending on who you ask. And knowing EA's history for managing their development studios, I can't help but see BioWare going the way of Pandemic being fairly possible.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NTM

Yep. I just read this on Facebook. To be honest, this is kind of saddening for the state of Mass Effect for the near future. Plus, from what I understand the latest patch did nothing for the campaign, and the previous one before that didn't do much either. I like reading comics, but it really sucks that the story is going to unfold more in that way. I played through the game before any major patch was released, and unfortunately, I don't plan on seeing what those patches have to offer now that we're not seeing any more from the game. I liked MEA well enough, and its glitches weren't it's biggest issue for me as they didn't entirely ruin the experience. The biggest issue was just its lack of interesting side tasks in what culminates in a little over 100 hours of gameplay if you want to go for everything. The game had a handful of small issues, and it mainly pertains to how it stacks up to the trilogy.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SethMode  Online

These reactions are nuts. The game was fine. Good in some respects. It certainly doesn't mark the end of the series.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ripelivejam

I feel like there's some weird revisionist history going on with DA:I. For all its open world bloat the reception seemed quite positive when it was released. Apparently Witcher 3's existence has turned it to utter dogshit?

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GundamGuru

@ripelivejam: You seem to be forgetting the "Leave the friggen' Hinterlands!" memes. The game may have had an good critical reception, but its user reception was much more mixed. It suffered from many of the same bugs, pacing, and writing issues that ME:A did. I suppose it's not as big an issue to critics the first time. Edit: It seems us duders felt much the same.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It suffered from many of the same bugs, pacing, and writing issues that ME:A did.

Definitely not the case.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

These reactions are nuts. The game was fine. Good in some respects. It certainly doesn't mark the end of the series.

It isn't as bad as it's made out to be, but it's the only game in the franchise that I have little desire to replay. What kills it for me is mediocre platforming and the endless monoliths. I never want to see one of cheesy sudoku puzzles again.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:
    @mcfart said:
    @teddie said:

Uhhhhhh

DA2 for it's faults was at least memorable, I can barely remember anything from Origins.

I think this is all down to personal preference, i remember Origins but i also finished that game with each character class and starting story. DA 2 i have stated over 3 times and i can only stomach 1 to 2 hours before it call it quits. Inquisition was tedious and for me personally had no memorable characters.

benoski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Such a sad conclusion to this story. At least Hello Games are still working on improving No Man's Sky a year after it's release. These guys just straight up quit 5 months after release. It's pathetic.

Thus, I'll probably never buy Anthem.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I mean, it wasn't great, but I definitely don't want to not see more Mass Effects.

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't surprise me. I played it and I didn't think it was a total shit show but it was definitely disappointing. I can see EA not wanting to fund another ME game for several years, or abandoning like Dead Space 3.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ME:A was such a colossal disappointment for me that stopped playing it after about 5 hours, uninstalled it, then uninstalled Origin. I'm going to be extremely skeptical of any EA product from now on (even more so than before). Anthem better be knocking the socks off the GB crew when they play the final version; otherwise no more EA for me.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ArtisanBreads

One man's DA takes: DA: Origins is one of the best RPGs ever with lots of memorable story beats (The origin of my Dwarf Noble and how it tied in, the Landsmeet, The Ashes and Redcliffe, Loghain's fate where he sacrificed himself in my game, Morrigan abandoning my party because I would not impregnate her right before the final battle in a huge betrayal - all some of the most memorable moments in any RPG), DA: II is the framework of a great RPG with some very cool ideas, some great bits, some flawed overall execution, and a lot of glaring flaws in gameplay (mashy combat on through to shitty reused dungeons). DA:I is a good, not great, open world RPG which has the biggest fault of having a boring overall plot, which is increasingly becoming a pattern with Bioware games. Not that all have been amazing, but they had big cool moments before. I think since ME 2 on they have started to have mediocre to shitty main plots.

@freedom4556 said:

@ripelivejam: You seem to be forgetting the "Leave the friggen' Hinterlands!" memes. The game may have had an good critical reception, but its user reception was much more mixed. It suffered from many of the same bugs, pacing, and writing issues that ME:A did. I suppose it's not as big an issue to critics the first time. Edit: It seems us duders felt much the same.

No way, it's not even close to ME:A. It won GOTY awards and it was the best game that year for me quite easily. Witcher 3 is one of the best RPGs ever, what stands up well against it at all? That was the whole bar I guess. I see tons of people make memes or comments about how they hate the Witcher 3 and can't stand Novigrad and Dandelion as well, including all the editors on this website.

I don't even like how EA does things a lot of times but this is the kind of nonsense that makes me usually be one going out of my way to defend them. Aside from ME:A. Really looking at how that game came about they basically bailed out of a big crazy idea and cobbled it together. It's alright and the multiplayer is actually very good but it's not worth defending in a very similar way to DA:II.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I feel like there's some weird revisionist history going on with DA:I. For all its open world bloat the reception seemed quite positive when it was released. Apparently Witcher 3's existence has turned it to utter dogshit?

Yep, In a world without W3 the latest Bioware games would be acceptable.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mcfart

@rethla said:
    @ripelivejam said:

Yep, In a world without W3 the latest Bioware games would be acceptable.

It's not even that. The filler of the first "open" area of DAI really served as a footnote to a lot of reviews...."great RPG but pro tip don't try to do all the quests in the first area for they are grindy MMO crap"

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: its not that bad really, it just wasn't great. What killed the game though were the bad animations and proportions, it just became a meme and didn't have strong enough gameplay to overcome that in tge public. Multiplayer was fun and combat in single player was probably the best in the series.

It was death by Internet.

Absolutely. The game killed itself, but jesus christ, the internet echo chamber really buried it and pissed on its grave.

And is there really an Andromeda novel coming out? I'll read that.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GundamGuru

@artisanbreads: I bounced off DA:I hard the first time; had to come back to it months later. It wasn't the total dumpster fire of ME:A but it had many of the same issues to lesser degrees. Lame main plot, mountains of errands, some companions fans loved to hate, and it launched with tons of bugs and crashes (just not of the severe t-pose variety).

I wonder what it would've gotten from somebody like Brad or Jeff. The 4/5 Rorie gave it is kinda not surprising given his love of WoW. Inquisition didn't even factor into GB's GOTY discussion for 2014. Personally, I only think DA:I reviewed as well as it did was because we were coming off DAII, which got nailed by critics and fans, and the main fantasy competition that year was Shadow of Mordor, a totally different game. And that said, DA:I did only get an 85 on Metacritic, which is what the rumors say Montreal was expecting for Andromeda.

I'm not trying to say Inquisition was some awful trainwreck, but its launch was more mixed than people are remembering.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and with the confirmation they are most likely giving up in the trilogy I now completely regret my purchase.

What a bad situation

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By rethla

@freedom4556: Theres not much in common between WoW and DA.

edit: What i mean is that when people say DA is like mmorpgs they talk about the bland repetitive quests and large permanent levels that doesnt change much.

Nothing of that is what draws people to mmorpgs. Its the good combat, social experience, and great lootsystems that keep mmorpgs alive and DA got nothing of that.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@katygaga said:

What a colossal boondoggle.

It still boggles the mind that they (EA) mishandled a flagship franchise this badly.

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a thing that should get executives fired. Possibly studio managers too. Someone up the chain made a choice to either restrict funding or refuse to allow for animation passovers. Someone else allowed this story to go forward without rewrites or additional editor passes.

Someone thought they could coast on the brand and cash out without affecting the company's future. This is why it's important when heads of the company step away and let newcomers take over. It sets a tone when your choices damage your IP's value that much.

In short; someone up high needed to be removed.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By NeverGameOver

It's too bad to hear that they aren't working on this anymore. I'm finishing up my first ME3 playthrough right now, and was hoping to pick this up next year, once they'd finished cleaning up all the animation issues. I'll still probably it up on sale at some point but I'm in no rush.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I don't think that's revisionist history, that's a bit like saying "People SAID King Kong had incredible effects back when it first came out, but NOW people are saying it looks fake!"

Witcher 3 is, simply stated, a superior game in many respects, and one people didn't think was possible. Having a narrative component to even your simplest quests? No RPG has done that to the scale that W3 did, and it points out how tedious and slogging large swaths of DA:I can be.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nevergameover: They where never gonna clean up the animation issues anyway, but yeh some minor bugs and rare glitches are cleaned up.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

ME:A is the best ME so sucks there won't be any fun 1P DLC, particularly what they set up with the other ship. Also sucks that whenever ME comes back it definitely won't be a direct sequel.

Also DA:I is better than Witcher 3 alright peace!

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.