Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

Achievements -genius or waste of time?

luffylol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By luffylol

this topic of discussion is not original. However, I am split. I can't decide if I should take it seriously or not, to get achievements. I cant stop thinking about if the next xbox will also have achievements and if getting achievements on 360 would all have been for nothing!?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Achievements are already meaningless...you don't need to wait for the next Xbox for that.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo

Just like you can transfer your gamercard from the original to 360 consoles, I'd imagine you could transfer achievements. Obviously Microsoft is leaning heavily on achievements because it sells games. Take achievements how you want as long as you don't bitch about them like everybody else.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Demyx

I don't take much stock in trophies or achievements.

I'm sure Microsoft has some idea of what they'll do

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Bass

achievements are genius for Microsoft. If it wasn't for achievements, Avatar would have sold approximately 12 copies.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By BiggerBomb

I love achievements, but I'm not a whore for them. I like them for what they are and even though I don't go out of my way for them, I still love the sound and to compare the achievements I have to the ones my friends have. They are a work of genius if you are to base ingenuity on market success.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

Personally, I dig achievements...but not in all the games on 360.  I don't really like the "continue to progress through the game and unlock everything" like in Fight Night Round 3 and such...although I'm game for getting them and adding to my gamerscore.  It also means that, if you want a high gamerscore, you've gotta try games out that you may never have played before, and I've been surprised to find that a few of the games I would've never tried ended up being games that I genuinely liked.

Achievements are replay value for me, especially if I missed some stuff the first time.  It essentially just replaces the need for secret levels in video games, imo.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Achievements were fine until people started using them as leverage at how good you were at a game. I've killed people in Gears of War fair and quare just to have them tell me I cheated because since they had better gamerscore, I couldn't possibly win.

They're good fun in the right hands, but there's still suck to be had.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By ZenaxPure

I like the concept quite a bit, so much I pray it is standard next gen for all consoles. It doesn't really hurt anyone either, its not like you have to get them for anything. I have a few friends that don't even care about them, they just play games like they did last gen as if nothing is different.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I think its definitely a complete success story when you talk about achievements.  Achievements make certain players play games they have no business playing, for the sole purpose of gaining those meaningless points.  They promote playing the game for more than just it's story.  They might be meaningless to some of us, but to others they are the holy grail. (see xbox360achievements.org)

Also, I heard rumors about maybe games having avatar clothes or something for the NXE.  If I could remember where I read that I'd link a source, but I can't.  I bring it up because it would be close to what achievements are, even maybe now having some sort of reward for those points. 

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Out_On_Bail said:
    "I think its definitely a complete success story when you talk about achievements.  Achievements make certain players play games they have no business playing, for the sole purpose of gaining those meaningless points.  They promote playing the game for more than just it's story.  They might be meaningless to some of us, but to others they are the holy grail. (see xbox360achievements.org)

Also, I heard rumors about maybe games having avatar clothes or something for the NXE.  If I could remember where I read that I'd link a source, but I can't.  I bring it up because it would be close to what achievements are, even maybe now having some sort of reward for those points. "
    Or they can make someone play a game that shouldn't be played, like Avatar. There's the double-sided coin. Some people might put up with bad design for achievements, having no fun. That's when achievements become work. That's when achievements become bad.
    Personally, I'm all for them, but I wish there were less gamerwhores out there.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Jayge_

I think achievements are ingenious. They allow me to show off challenges that I've completed, and give me ideas for squeezing replay value out of a game with original activities when I'm bored. I don't whore them, but I sure do appreciate them.

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ManlyBeast

I like them.

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By Knives

Acheivements are good as long as they're public in some way.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#15  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Arkthemaniac said:
     "Or they can make someone play a game that shouldn't be played, like Avatar. There's the double-sided coin. Some people might put up with bad design for achievements, having no fun. That's when achievements become work. That's when achievements become bad.
    Personally, I'm all for them, but I wish there were less gamerwhores out there."
    And? Nobody said you had to play every game others do. If people want to get achievements, so be it.
    Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shocker

I don't really worry about getting them.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Achievements are genius. Even if you don't care about the competitive aspect, they at least inform you of what games people play and to what extent. I love achievements.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

The only achievement I've ever been proud of getting was the Gnome achievement in Half-Life 2 Episode 2. I don't normally look at a game's achievements and go "alright, I'm going to break every crate in the game so that I can get this," I just play through the game first and then I go through again to get achievements. The thing about that style of playing is that I get all giddy when I hear the sound of an achievement completed and I don't know what it's for. It makes them that much more fun for me. In conclusion, Achievements=genius.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dalai

Achievements were a smart idea and it definitely helps give you bragging rights in some cases, but I don't like the idea of playing a game with simple achievements just to jack your score up.  You really shouldn't play games just to get achievements... you should play games to have fun and if you get some achievements in the process, well that's just a bonus.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MisterSpiffy

I love them.  They get me to play games in ways that I normally wouldn't, and they've added some extra replayability to games that usually would've been sold after I was done with the campaign.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Player1

I would say both. They are in a sense a waste of time, but they are so genius. It makes me play games like I never would have before. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jakob187
    Dr_Feelgood38 said:
    "The only achievement I've ever been proud of getting was the Gnome achievement in Half-Life 2 Episode 2. I don't normally look at a game's achievements and go "alright, I'm going to break every crate in the game so that I can get this," I just play through the game first and then I go through again to get achievements. The thing about that style of playing is that I get all giddy when I hear the sound of an achievement completed and I don't know what it's for. It makes them that much more fun for me. In conclusion, Achievements=genius."
    Climbing the Agency Tower and then jumping off it in Crackdown is hella fun, too...if a bit frustrating at times.  Hell, Crackdown is just a sweet achievement game in the first place.  Lots of fun stuff to do in there.

There's also one of my personal faves:  Crowd Pleaser in LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga.  = D
    Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Manks

They are both a waste of time, but ingenious.  Achievements are fun to obtain and show to others what you've done in games.  Especially, if it's something many people don't have, or hard to acquire.  

Achievements also added replay value to some games I would've never went back to or did other "stuff" in them if it wasn't for achievements.  If it's game I really care about I will try to get all the achievements.  So yeah achievements add replay value and more selling points to some guys.

When some people compare a multi-platform game, like "XYZ game" is on the 360 and PS3.  But people will tend to lean to the 360 side because of achievements and an already established Gamerscore.  Even with trophies the PS3 doesn't have much of an establised rewards system as the 360 yet (I'm not trying to be a fanboy.  I'm just saying why people might get a game for the 360 for achievements).   
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By suneku

I like achievements for my own personal reasons. There are lots of pointless, easy ones, but there are some great ones out there. And had it not been for achievements, I would've probably skipped out on some fun stuff due to my laziness. Also with the whole gamercard stuff, it pretty much keeps track of the games I've played, and the achievements helps me remember the fun I had around/doing that particular achievement.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RenegadeSaint

Genius.

How many purchases has Microsoft been able to push to their console because of achievements?  Many of us own multiplatform games, but achievements are constantly luring us to the 360 versions.  Combine them with the success of Live and you have a winning formula.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Cool concept, but the execution hasn't been so solid. They're a nice extra incentive to get you to play a game in new ways and such and to try new modes, but a lot of achievements are just stupid and a waste of time.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By KingBroly

I think a bit of both.  Having people play on higher difficulties isn't such a good idea.  Having them play with only a single weapon or get X number of kills/points in a campign is fine.  And multiplayer achievements are just horrible.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Shadow

utter genious.  Now that all my shopping is done and it's a straight shot of nothing to do until christmas, there's nothing on my mind but getting to the 50,000 mark (at 46,475 right now)

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LiquidPrince

Maybe a bit of both...

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Arkthemaniac

BOTH!!!!!!

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By weltal

Achievements are very much a system that gives back what you put in. I'm not terribly interested in playing through a game again that I don't want to or pulling my hair out over achievements that are much too difficult or daunting but at the same time I enjoy unlocking achievements that, while difficult, aren't an arduous task to preform. It would, based on some scores I've seen, that some people are much more resilient that myself when it comes to unlocking every last achievement.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gameboi

Complete genius on Microsoft's part. Even though I don't care much about them, most people do.  Sales follow.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#33  Edited By dsplayer1010

The smartest thing that Microsoft has ever done.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By MKHavoc

I think achievements are a really good idea.  I've played some games much longer than I normally than I would have because of them.  There are always gonna be people that don't care about them, but generally they seem to be a success.  It would be crazy if Microsoft didn't give you a way to transfer your achievements over to their next console. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Out_On_Bail said:
    "I think its definitely a complete success story when you talk about achievements.  Achievements make certain players play games they have no business playing, for the sole purpose of gaining those meaningless points.  They promote playing the game for more than just it's story.  They might be meaningless to some of us, but to others they are the holy grail. (see xbox360achievements.org)

Also, I heard rumors about maybe games having avatar clothes or something for the NXE.  If I could remember where I read that I'd link a source, but I can't.  I bring it up because it would be close to what achievements are, even maybe now having some sort of reward for those points. "
    Or they can make someone play a game that shouldn't be played, like Avatar. There's the double-sided coin. Some people might put up with bad design for achievements, having no fun. That's when achievements become work. That's when achievements become bad.
    Personally, I'm all for them, but I wish there were less gamerwhores out there.
    "
    Hmm...but at the same time, what you are saying here might as well be you saying the same thing about coin collecting.  There's really no point to it at all other than collecting, although you'll put a ton of work into getting them.  Granted, you can sell coins to collectors and such, but regardless, it's the fact that it's a hobby amongst the hobby enthusiasts.  Some people dig the games, others dig the achievements.  When it comes down to it...those who play JUST for the achievements and no other reason are basically fueling your industry with some form of money that is essentially making the games you keep wanting to play.  =  /  Can't complain much about that.

Also look at it like this:  if people hadn't bought Avatar for achievement points...then THQ might not have had the money to continue making Company of Heroes expansions.

I see the double-sided coin, but lucky for me...it's like a Two-Face coin that always lands heads up.
    Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bulldog19892

Achievements are pretty much business genius. You could make the shittiest game ever, but if the achievements are easy to get, then it will sell a whole lot more. And for the rest of us who aren't insane, achievements can be fun to try and get. It's when you get to the point where you're buying shitty games, or spending afternoons getting a difficult achievement that you've crossed into retard territory.

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Subway

They've pretty much saved gaming for me.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BiggerBomb

An ingenious waste of time. Microsoft knows the way consumers opperate, they know what makes us tick. And they have delivered it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pause422

Waste of time for me, just pointless.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Karmum

Well, they make terrible games with easy achievements somewhat enjoyable.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Alexander

Depends on how you're looking at it, someone's score can be quite meaningless thanks to the varying level of ease when it comes to getting points in different games. But some of the achievements themselves are great. Example being the Mile High Club on Call of Duty 4, that's a damn hard achievement to get and... well... I felt like I achieved something when I did it :P

What MS need to do now is have achievements linked to avatar clothing and such so we can actually show off.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I don't really care about achievements in games. I'll get one and be like "cool" but I won't go out of my way.

Then again, I don't have a LIVE subscription so it don't matter anyhow.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#43  Edited By natetodamax

I think they're awesome.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheGremp

I don't think that they're a good scale of your skill, they're more a scale of how whorish you are...  But I still think they're a good idea, because they give me some reason to replay a game, and sets some interesting goals when done right.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By JoelTGM

Achievements/trophies are just challenges to have fun with, collect, and show off.  Something to keep after you've completed a game.

Blaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Blaster

waste

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jakob187
    TheGremp said:
    "I don't think that they're a good scale of your skill, they're more a scale of how whorish you are...  But I still think they're a good idea, because they give me some reason to replay a game, and sets some interesting goals when done right."
    Achievement whoring is only achievement whoring if the person whores them.

However, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.  It's just another part of the game.  Trying to say that it's all about being "whorish" is stupid.

No one called it whorish when people were breaking past 200% map completion on Symphony of the Night...or when you were collecting 99 lives on Super Mario Bros...or all kinds of other crap like that from past generations.

So, in turn...what is different about achievements than collecting crap in games like Mario or Donkey Kong or whatever else platformer you can name off?
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By toowalrus

Well, there's more than one game I've played through twice for achievements, so yeah, genus, mission accomplished Microsoft.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.