Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Alan Wake

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 14, 2010

When famous novelist Alan Wake goes on vacation with his wife Alice, he has no idea that the idyllic town of Bright Falls will soon be the site of a terrible battle between light and dark that could threaten everything, even Wake's own sanity.

Pssst, Alan Wake for the PC is hours away from release, buy it!

• 74 results
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

19 hours to go on Steam, holy SHIT this kinda came out of no where! Who's gonna grab it? 

Personally I didn't get a good impression from the release week footage and word of mouth (X360 in 2010), and being a console-oriented Remedy game, I simply dismissed it because.. Consoles + Remedy = cannot compute. This in no way is console bashing, it's just that as a PC gamer you grow to dismiss console oriented games (in a way, not completely). It's hard to explain but the bottom line is, I wasn't interested in a PC version afterwards. 
    Then with the Max Payne 3 hype, I decided to play through Max Payne 1 and 2 back-to-back in a minimum amount of sittings (took me 14 hours total on a span of 5 days), and having not played them for a long time I had simply forgotten how fucking groundbreaking Remedy is.  
    Not only did playing MP1&2 again just rekindle my love for Remedy's writing and level design, but it also made me realize that a proper Max Payne 3 in this day and age and by the hands of R* Vancouver no less, will only disappoint. There's no other reasonable outcome. 

And so, with the help of SwoXx who kept making comparisons between MP & Alan Wake as I played the two games and talked to him, I suddenly started growing an interest in it. I even re-watched the Quick Look after two years and it totally rubbed me the right way. 

Whether the game will be good or bad in design/gameplay, and whether it'll be a shitty port or a simply technologically-crippled game because of the X360 lead development (see: Skyrim, Saints Row: The Third, Assassin's Creed: Revelations and more), I'm definitely going to buy it day one. 
    For one reason that rules them all:
     Beware, kinda cheesy/kinda "gay" email below.  

It's been so long since Remedy was relevant to me or since I considered them god-like, so playing MP1&2 again like that brought back so much love for this developer, they have my money and always will!
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By rjayb89

Oh shit! Here I am playing the 360 version wishing there was a PC version! I might pick it up. Great turnout for someone who returned to playing it (after months of ignoring it)( not too long ago, and the combat has probably reached its variety apex from where I am (Chapter 3).

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TorMasturba

Just wondering why Steam hasn't done more to show off the upcoming Alan wake PC release, as they usually have it on their carousel for a week or so before hand. Ah well... Will be buying anyway on pay day so either way remedy is going to get my money. :-)

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ducksworth

I would buy it....except my only PC device (a.k.a Lappy) isn't particularly powerful. Also, I read the horribly written Alan Wake novel so the story being a selling point is gone for me so I'll just wait until I have a better machine.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By mordukai

@Ducksworth said:

I would buy it....except my only PC device (a.k.a Lappy) isn't particularly powerful. Also, I read the horribly written Alan Wake novel so the story being a selling point is gone for me so I'll just wait until I have a better machine.

It's a book based off of a video game what did you expect it to be?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kishinfoulux

Why is it releasing in 14 hours and not at midnight? :-/

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Oh man I have tomorrow off too.......

So tempted to replay this on my PC.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike

$30 is just too much, I'll hold out for the inevitable Steam sale. I've waited this long, a few more months is nothing.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hory shet!

For real though, that's awesome. Been wanting to play this but really wanted to play it on PC. I shall pick this up when I can. Thanks for posting this, dude.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Dalai

If the price is right, I'm in. I was disappointed when they originally cancelled the PC version so I'm really glad (and surprised) they remedied that... pun intended, I suppose.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Does it require the awesome processing power of an Intel Core2Quad?

Also, a proper blow-job would've referenced Future Crew and their work in the demoscene.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#12  Edited By Wemibelle

I already S-Ranked it on the X360. I don't really need another copy of it.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By nintendoeats

I went through the process of not playing Alan Wake for ages and then buying it when it for less money. If you are going to make a PC version of your game it should really come out before that second step happens.

But hey, Max Payne IS freaking awesome.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust

I already finished it 13 times! I don't think I need another copy either.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking about it, gonna wait it out to see if there are any day one issues.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By bacongames

Fuck, I bought a download code for Alan Wake months ago for 6 bucks. I don't even own a 360 to play it on. Guess like I'm going to find someone who's interested in a copy because I'd rather play it on the PC (unless its busted).

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hunkulese

@AhmadMetallic: So you're one of those elitist PC douchbags people warned me about. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the ports of Skyrim, Saints Row The Third or ACR. They're still great games that offer a PC experience that is better than the consoles. Does a game really need to be pushing your system to the limit for you to enjoy it?

I played through the first chapter on the 360 and enjoyed it and even purchased some of the DLC when it was on sale but I've kind of abandoned my 360 since and only turn it on for Kinect games. Does the PC version come with all the DLC for $30?

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SlightConfuse

i recommend alan wake was a great game, looking foward to american nightmare.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy

No doubt the PC version will be fucking mindblowing. The 360 version was stellar and IMO has the best visual style on the system thanks to the amazing lighting. It was my favourite game released in 2010 and one of the best this generation.

You'll have some good times ahead in Alan Wake. Also, make sure to collect the manuscripts.

@Ducksworth said:

The game's story isn't bad (I loved it, the whole Mr. Scratch thing is awesome), but the atmosphere is what really gets you. It's not scary, it's just very tense - Remedy created an amazing world. It's kind of hard to explain. It's kind of like a mix of stellar presentation, graphics, voice cast, set design, pacing. Alan is a really interesting character too. And it took me quite a while to get through the game first time around, and that wasn't even with finding all the collectables. There is no counter but I'd put it near 20 hours, and for a third person shooter in this day and age that's huge.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By spazmaster666

PC version + Steamworks = instant buy for me. Damn it, I probably should have bought this before picking up The Darkness II on Steam. Strangely though, despite this game unlocking in less than 13 hours, there's still no way for me to actually buy it on Steam. I guess they're not doing a preorder (well pre-buy since this is Steam) for this game, which is odd for a Steam release.

djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By djaoni

Don't buy it. Too little, too late. Remedy can fuck off. I hope they get even less sales than on 360, which shouldn't be hard even though it barely sold anythin on there.

Average game, too.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By korwin

Your seemingly unwarranted rage confuses me.

Keen to play through it again on PC, it's where Remedy's home is IMO. I mean those useless 3Dmark benches wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for the MaxFX engine :D

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Stete

I have the 360 version and its my favorite 360 exclusive game (well its not really exclusive anymore but you get my gist). I would highly recommend it to all PC gamers out there. Plus the game looked pretty damn good on the 360, so it must look even better on a PC.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NTM

Well, it looks sharper for sure, it doesn't have as much fog though in areas. I think it looks a bit better though, and runs a lot smoother, although the original wasn't slow. I wish I had the PC to buy and play this, but I don't anymore.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#25  Edited By alistercat

Any idea on the UK price? I suppose I'll find out in 8 hours.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By spazmaster666

@AlisterCat said:

It's £24.95 for the regular edition and £29.99 for the collector's edition on GamersGate.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Alan Wake was decently fun, I'd recommend it for fans of the genre.. but probably not at full price.

It's a good story, with some really cool moments, but a bit too much focus on the action. It's a shame so much of the open world stuff was dropped, though I can see why.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SlasherMan

Why no pre-purchase/preload? :(

I'd have bought it the instant I saw it if I could, sadly they didn't allow that. Guess I'll just have to wait for tonight.

@spazmaster666: This is silly. It's $30 and $35 on the US/International GG. As far as I'm aware, you can buy from whichever of the sites you want, so absolutely no reason to buy it from the UK store even if you are located in the UK. (Unless they changed that recently)

@djaoni: You're taking it a tad too personally.

@Hunkulese: Saying there was nothing wrong with those games mentioned in terms of port quality is silly. They all had issues, one way or another, and issues that could have been solved if the port was given a bit more care. They weren't bad (and certainly, they were the best of the three versions as most PC ports tend to be), but they weren't perfect ports either. Ahmad does sometimes blow things out of proportion a bit, but there's no need for insults. As for your question about the price of the game, yes it's $30 with the two DLCs. Unfortunately, the latest piece of DLC (or is that standalone?) is going to be 360 exclusive for a while, so we won't be seeing that for a while.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hitchenson

I'm too poor at the sec, but I'm going to hit this up the first time it's on sale for sure. Alan Wake remains one of my favourite 360 games so it'll be sick playing it through again on PC. I don't think I'll play the dlc this time though, you know, due to it being awful.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#30  Edited By MachoFantastico

Alan Wake was one of the most interesting games I've played in recent years, flawed certainly but I remember really enjoying it's plot. Oh and the use of music, that stage scene when the music kicks in was great, one give the PC version a go.

A little sad to see they've decreased the fog, I actually rather liked that.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#31  Edited By alistercat

@spazmaster666 said:

@AlisterCat said:

It's £24.95 for the regular edition and £29.99 for the collector's edition on GamersGate.

Thanks. A little pricey but not bad.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kishinfoulux

I've already played through on 360 and loved it. I kinda only wanna play through again if the game has mods or if I could have infinite ammo, health, etc. I'm guessing I'll have to wait for that though.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kishinfoulux

@NTM said:

Well, it looks sharper for sure, it doesn't have as much fog though in areas. I think it looks a bit better though, and runs a lot smoother, although the original wasn't slow. I wish I had the PC to buy and play this, but I don't anymore.

Just watched and I think the main difference is that the PC version just seems a bit clearer. Framerate seemed the same in both. Honestly it's not as big an upgrade as I was hoping for. Then again it was already an amazing looking game so not much to be done there.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Morrow

Why not for PS3? :(

I'd so get it...

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Rowr

@Hunkulese said:

@AhmadMetallic: So you're one of those elitist PC douchbags people warned me about. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the ports of Skyrim, Saints Row The Third or ACR. They're still great games that offer a PC experience that is better than the consoles. Does a game really need to be pushing your system to the limit for you to enjoy it?

I played through the first chapter on the 360 and enjoyed it and even purchased some of the DLC when it was on sale but I've kind of abandoned my 360 since and only turn it on for Kinect games. Does the PC version come with all the DLC for $30?

Lets be fair, he isn't an elitist pc douchebag.

He is just a douchebag.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By me3639

One of my favorite 360 games. I will wait for some crazy steam sale, but will eventually pick it up.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MikkaQ

Mmm the game has a neat atmosphere, but the gameplay is so overwhelmingly terrible that I'll just wait for the steam summer/spring sale and get it for probably under 10$.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cloudenvy

@MikkaQ said:

Mmm the game has a neat atmosphere, but the gameplay is so overwhelmingly terrible that I'll just wait for the steam summer/spring sale and get it for probably under 10$.

I'm in this boat, the generic forest environment also bored me in the latter half of that game.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By VierasTalo

@Morrow said:

Why not for PS3? :(

I'd so get it...

It's still a Microsoft Game Studios release, so no luck there.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By amir90

But, I just used most of money on other stuff.

BUUU!

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gargantuan

Does it use Games for Windows Live?

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gargantuan

It's now available.

jewittm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jewittm

I'm really surprised that steam isn't really pushing this, surely this is bigger news than Killing Floor's hundred thousandth's steam sale

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sooty

This should have came out in 2006 like they originally said it would. They even shown it off at an Intel conference back then, idiots.

Played and finished it on 360, not playing it again.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked it up and wow, the game looks fantastic at native resolution. Much better than the 960x540 or what have you on the Xbox 360. Only issue I ran into was graphics disappearing if I turned on FXAA. The game looks pretty though and seems to be using proper high-resolution textures.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By swoxx

You're welcome!

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SlasherMan

@kishinfoulux: Of course you can't see a difference in framerate when the video is encoded to 30 FPS. This is why online videos aren't really the best to use for a straight comparison, unless they're specifically made for it like the Digital Foundry guys' work. For one thing you're losing the resolution advantage the PC offers when the video's only in 720p, and as I mentioned, you cannot see the effect of the increased framerate when the video itself is only running 30. Despite that, you can still tell there's a significant difference in image quality there and decreased fog in the PC version, but that's all about one can determine from that video, really.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    Damn, the boxed version comes out March 2nd :( Guess I'll have to wait.

@Cloudenvy said:

@MikkaQ said:

I'm in this boat, the generic forest environment also bored me in the latter half of that game.

Shit.. Well like I said, I owe it to Remedy so whether the gameplay will keep me going or not, the full price purchase must be done! 

@Rowr said:

@Hunkulese said:

Lets be fair, he isn't an elitist pc douchebag.

He is just a douchebag.

Thanks!
    kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kishinfoulux

@SlasherMan said:

@kishinfoulux: Of course you can't see a difference in framerate when the video is encoded to 30 FPS. This is why online videos aren't really the best to use for a straight comparison, unless they're specifically made for it like the Digital Foundry guys' work. For one thing you're losing the resolution advantage the PC offers when the video's only in 720p, and as I mentioned, you cannot see the effect of the increased framerate when the video itself is only running 30. Despite that, you can still tell there's a significant difference in image quality there and decreased fog in the PC version, but that's all about one can determine from that video, really.

Good point. I tend to forget that those videos aren't always the best indicators.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50  Edited By metal_mills

So apparently you need a bit of a heavy PC to run this game from first impressions so beware. It's also $20 on GMG.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.