Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

APB Reloaded

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 29, 2010

Better known as the free-to-play "APB: Reloaded", APB is a MMO third-person shooter by the developers of Crackdown. Players choose between the hard-boiled law enforcers or the feared criminals as they try to stop the opposing faction's objectives.

Realtime Worlds goes into administration

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fayte109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fayte109

Just Appeared on the BBC Website:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-11003456

Realtime Worlds games company goes into administration

Pioneering Dundee-based computer games company Realtime Worlds has gone into administration putting hundreds of jobs at risk.  

The company, founded by the creator of Lemmings and Grand Theft Auto, is based at a former jute mill in the city.

It employs about 250 people and was seen as one of the biggest players in the global computer games market.

Its newest title, online role-playing game APB, launched a few weeks ago but has experienced "lacklustre" demand.

Joint administrators have been appointed and a consultation process on the future of the firm is under way.

APB was five years in development but is thought to have failed to attract sufficient numbers of subscribers following mediocre reviews.

Realtime Worlds made 60 staff redundant last week.

Paul Dounis, of administrators Begbies Traynor, said: "We are currently involved in a consultative process with the 200 staff employed in Dundee."

Buyer search

Realtime has its main development operations in Dundee and its parent company head office and online operations are in Colorado.

The administrators will employ some of the 42 staff in the US to assist in selling the business.

Mr Dounis added: "Our intention is to continue trading the company while we attempt to find a going concern buyer which will safeguard the future of the business."

He said it was hoped that any future buyer would continue to develop APB.

Realtime Worlds was founded in 2002 by creative director Dave Jones and in 2007 the company won two Baftas for its games.

Professor Bernard King, principal of Abertay University, said the collapse was sad news.

He added: "As the jewel in the crown of Dundee's computer games development sector, Realtime Worlds epitomises the creativity and determination of the entire Scottish industry.

"It is unfortunate that market conditions have dictated this drastic step."

Prof King said that Abertay was ready to deploy all its resources, including the new games industry business support mechanism launched by the UK government last month, to support whatever new business structures might emerge from the administration process.       
    Callumrides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Callumrides

wow i new apb was not recieved well but never thought it would of caused this to happen but then again. look at what haze done to free radical hope they work somthing out

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Interfect
    @Callumrides said:
    " wow i new apb was not recieved well but never thought it would of caused this to happen but then again. look at what haze done to free radical hope they work somthing out "
    HAZE is the SHIT!
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jimbo

lol at 'Professor' Bernard King's comments.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Evilsbane

Well thats what happens when you spend five years building a POS. I don't like to hear about any developers going under but come on...the game blows ass and it probably cost a shit ton of money to make. Saw it coming.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Jimbo said:
    " lol at 'Professor' Bernard King's comments. "
    "Market conditions" indeed.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jimbo
    @ProfessorEss said:

" @Jimbo said:

"Market conditions" indeed. "
    Ha, quite.  And "Realtime Worlds epitomises the creativity and determination of the entire Scottish industry" doesn't exactly bode well for the rest of the Scottish industry.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By august

But they provided so many different ways to pay for their game!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@Jimbo said:

" @ProfessorEss said:

" @Jimbo said:

"Market conditions" indeed. "
    Ha, quite.  And "Realtime Worlds epitomises the creativity and determination of the entire Scottish industry" doesn't exactly bode well for the rest of the Scottish industry. "
    Excuse me but  this is the epitome of Scottish creativity and determination:  
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Can't say I'm sorry about this.  As much as I love Crackdown, I feel they made a massive mistake by turning down the sequel in favour of making APB, which I can quite honestly say is one of the worst games this generation.  The guys who left to form Ruffian had the right idea, and hopefully they continue to develop good stuff.

Or maybe I'm just bitter because they wouldn't give me a job.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust

Tough luck. 

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.