Make Desmond Playable!

#1 Posted by jerseyscum (869 posts) -

It's safe to say that Desmond has fully surpassed the abilities of both Ezio and Altair thanks to his Animus treatments and the bleeding effect. I'm hoping that the developers realize this and give us finally some playable Desmond missions where he finally steps out of the Animus and finally takes the fight directly against Absergo and their North American interests. Of course, they can't be free-roaming worlds like those in the Animus simulations, but some story quests resembling the format of the Da Vinci War Machines from AC Brotherhood would be a perfect format to finally see Desmond put his training to use. Anyone else with me? Or am I asking too much?

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13151 posts) -

At this point I'm interested in ACIII no matter what. Don't worry though, eventually you're gonna get your stupid modern Assassin's game... and I'll be thoroughly less interested.

#3 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

This is Desmond's last game, according to Ubi. There's probably gonna be a Desmond segment or two. Dunno why you want it so bad though, Desmond's a boring-as-shit character.

#4 Posted by DillonWerner (1526 posts) -

I don't really see how his 16th century assassin knowledge will help him in the modern age with laser alarms, heat alarms, motion alarms, noise alarms, guards with guns and radios, and less things to climb on since buildings are just giant glass walls now.

#5 Posted by Marz (5648 posts) -

i'm sure a big part of ACIII will have a Desmond section.

#6 Posted by chrissedoff (2077 posts) -

@zombiebigfoot said:

This is Desmond's last game, according to Ubi. There's probably gonna be a Desmond segment or two. Dunno why you want it so bad though, Desmond's a boring-as-shit character.

I hope that's not true. I would like to a see a Brotherhood-like sequel to Assassin's Creed III that takes place in France.

#7 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@chrissedoff: It's Desmond's last game. Not the last AC game.

#8 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

I certainly won't miss Desmond. Weak character in my opinion and certainly the least interesting. I look forward to what is possible moving forward in the series without having to defer to Desmond's storyline.

#9 Posted by Z3RO180 (230 posts) -

Fuck i hope not demond sucks the less the better

#10 Posted by Skiiv (6 posts) -

I dont there's ever gonna be an AC game thats gonna set place in the 21st century its just not possible.But i do want Desmond to have more playable parts i mean the whole reason for going into the Animus was to train him to become a badass Assassin.We were shaping him up through the previous games. I hope we'll actually get to play him in full on assassin mode this time

#11 Edited by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I really want to see an AC game set in Europe during WWI, not WWII. Maybe somewhere in Eastern Europe and Asia this time. It would be cool to see some Ruskies kick a little tail for once. Plus, the architecture in the former Soviet Union is really interesting to me.

#12 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7069 posts) -

I always found Desmond to be nothing but a conduit used to experience more interesting characters. That could be caused by my undying love of history, though.

#13 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

He'll probably play a big part in the game since you know 2012 and Desmond was suppose to save the world or whatever and it makes sense as to why they decided to make that "mayan temple" pre-order mission to tie the story to the whole present templars/2012/end of the world.

#14 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

I haven't found the Desmond story to be interesting at all since the first game. AC1 had a good mysterious atmosphere during the Desmond segments, but every game after that hasn't made that stuff nearly as interesting (possibly because Ezio is a much better character than Altair).

Despite this, I feel that every game has ended in a way that has made the Desmond story really fascinating for that quick moment, which makes it disappointing that each new game hasn't followed up on that momentum. AC Revelations ended with a pretty neat setup for the Desmond story in AC3, so hopefully Ubisoft delivers in the finale.

#15 Posted by jerseyscum (869 posts) -

@Voxel said:

I haven't found the Desmond story to be interesting at all since the first game. AC1 had a good mysterious atmosphere during the Desmond segments, but every game after that hasn't made that stuff nearly as interesting (possibly because Ezio is a much better character than Altair). Despite this, I feel that every game has ended in a way that has made the Desmond story really fascinating for that quick moment, which makes it disappointing that each new game hasn't followed up on that momentum. AC Revelations ended with a pretty neat setup for the Desmond story in AC3, so hopefully Ubisoft delivers in the finale.

Yeah, it was more than hinted that he'd play a much more hands-on role in AC3 at the end of the game. I could easily see him racing across North America to find First Civilization Vaults to crack open. Especially since the AC series has embraced the concept of raiding tombs (sorry) for ancient goodies wholeheartedly. I don't see how that would play out in Connor's memories at all.

#16 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1323 posts) -

The game implied by Desmond's world is far more hard to deliver than you think, even if it seems like it 'could be cool'. You're literally better off looking to Watch Dogs for the closest version of that... an open world traversal modern Ubisoft game built on the farcry engine (I think?). Prolly won't be as traversal focused as the AC games, or less climbing at least... but that's what modern is, you can't climb skyscrapers as fast as you can climb huts and 2 story buildings etc, unless you're talking about a Blade Runner type area with so many buildings all clumped together, but even then traversal would be slow if still grounded in some sort of reality unless you go for a prototype style craziness to get around at a decent rate.

#17 Edited by NTM (7319 posts) -

I have a feeling the amount of people that want to play as Desmond is split between the amount of people that just want to go back in the past with different characters. I say Desmond is probably an ancestor of someone further in the future, and that'll be the twist ending to it all. No, I don't know about that, but it seems like... a twist.

#18 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

At this point I'm interested in ACIII no matter what. Don't worry though, eventually you're gonna get your stupid modern Assassin's game... and I'll be thoroughly less interested.

@zombiebigfoot said:

This is Desmond's last game, according to Ubi. There's probably gonna be a Desmond segment or two. Dunno why you want it so bad though, Desmond's a boring-as-shit character.

Agreed. I don't get the appeal of Desmond and the modern world at all. It's all boring.

#19 Edited by Concise (25 posts) -

@NTM said:

I have a feeling the amount of people that want to play as Desmond is split between the amount of people that just want to go back in the past with different characters. I say Desmond is probably an ancestor of someone further in the future, and that'll be the twist ending to it all. No, I don't know about that, but it seems like... a twist.

Yeah, I get that feeling too. I haven't played Revelations, but if I remember correctly there were some allusions in Brotherhood to the major event Desmond is trying to stop having already happened, etcetera. He'll probably die in some dramatic way at the end of ACIII, at which point our new protagonist will emerge from the animus in some Templar controlled future. Hence, Ubisoft will sidestep the problem of setting one of these games in the present or near-future, which would be ridiculous given our surfeit of haystacks and hiding places.

#20 Edited by NTM (7319 posts) -

@Concise: Same for me, I haven't played Revelations either, but I'd love to. I don't think that twist will actually happen, but I think it's clever (though kind of dumb) enough to do.

#21 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@TooWalrus said:

At this point I'm interested in ACIII no matter what. Don't worry though, eventually you're gonna get your stupid modern Assassin's game... and I'll be thoroughly less interested.

@zombiebigfoot said:

This is Desmond's last game, according to Ubi. There's probably gonna be a Desmond segment or two. Dunno why you want it so bad though, Desmond's a boring-as-shit character.

Agreed. I don't get the appeal of Desmond and the modern world at all. It's all boring.

The modern world is semi-appealing to me. But Desmond is just so dull of a character that it kills any appeal it holds.

#22 Posted by Rafaelfc (1324 posts) -

Just because Desmond is a boring character doesn't mean they can't do interesting stuff with him...

#23 Posted by Hunter5024 (5598 posts) -

I feel like they've been building to making desmond playable in terms of the narrative, but it actually seems less and less likely that this will ever become a reality. Pretty disappointing, because I'd love to see the atmosphere and meticulous detail they apply to historical settings geared towards an original world.

#24 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -
#25 Posted by jerseyscum (869 posts) -

@Gerhabio said:

It seems Connor is a pretty interesting character, don't worry.

http://techland.time.com/2012/09/05/assassins-creed-iiis-connor-how-ubisoft-avoided-stereotypes-and-made-a-real-character/

"The team was running into too many faux pas and factual errors, so around April of 2011, Ubisoft Montreal hired a Mohawk cultural consultant to be on call at all times."

*snicker*

They really didn't want pissed-off Native American groups picketing Ubisoft. All cynicism aside, it's a good sign that the team's attention to detail and accuracy is in the right place.

It's still Desmond's last game (at least so we've heard) and the Animus bleeding effect has to taken some kind of hold by now. Besides the almost turning him into a vegetable part. He HAS to kick Warren Vidic's ass at the end of the game.

#26 Posted by jerseyscum (869 posts) -

YES!

Is Desmond going to actually get some assassination missions? Or did he just forget his ticket to the fight?

#27 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

I'm fairly certain that you DO play as Desmond for a significant part of AC3.

I watched the first mission, and the intro basically says "Desmond used the Animus to gain all of Altair's knowledge and Ezio's skill in a matter of days" in order to figure out what the precursors are trying to get you to do to save the world.
#28 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

So I'm guessing Desmond is gonna be playable at the start of the game (tutorial) using his free running skills to get close to that great vault in New York, but he's not gonna be able to enter ... however! there will be "signs" left by his ancestor Conor on how to do it so hop back to the animus again to watch his life figure out what that means and enter the vault maybe they'll do some globe trotting as Demond?!... I cannot wait!

#29 Posted by jerseyscum (869 posts) -

@murisan said:

I'm fairly certain that you DO play as Desmond for a significant part of AC3.

I watched the first mission, and the intro basically says "Desmond used the Animus to gain all of Altair's knowledge and Ezio's skill in a matter of days" in order to figure out what the precursors are trying to get you to do to save the world.

Nope. I will not give to temptation and look for leaks on the internet.

*sigh*

Ok....I'll just watch one video and I'll stop. Just one.

#30 Posted by Dagbiker (6956 posts) -

If its his last game, then, unless he has a kid, or they pull a fast one, and you have been in an animus in the future reliving Desmond's life, then there will be no ACIII-2.

#31 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I feel there has already been countless missed opportunities with Desmond. They pretty much have discarded him as anything more than a simple plot mechanic in the game.

#32 Posted by Fearbeard (826 posts) -

I hope not much. I'm interested in the game for the historical parts, not the Desmond parts

#33 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@jerseyscum: If you can find it, the first mission really isn't much of a spoiler, but it's pretty cool. Also, I saw your name in my inbox, and I wondered if it's Jersey Scum or Jerseys Cum.

#34 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

I liked Having Desmond in the future world as the glue that holds the games together.. And it was cool that little reveal at the end of 2 but I feel Desmond's story has just gotten to big and I'd rather they strip that part from the games..

#35 Edited by jerseyscum (869 posts) -

@murisan said:

@jerseyscum: If you can find it, the first mission really isn't much of a spoiler, but it's pretty cool. Also, I saw your name in my inbox, and I wondered if it's Jersey Scum or Jerseys Cum.

This has to be at least the 20th time this has been brought up. Get your mind of the gutter people! For fuck's sake!

#36 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Wasn't he playable in Assassin's Creed II? And Brotherhood? And Revelations?

#37 Edited by jerseyscum (869 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Wasn't he playable in Assassin's Creed II? And Brotherhood? And Revelations?

Those were basically interactive cut-scenes in my book. I'm talking about wetwork.

And it looks like we are going to get some.

#38 Posted by TooWalrus (13151 posts) -

...I stand by my statement. I'll be less interested in yet another modern action game. We've got plenty of those. I'll get my fix from Sleeping Dogs or something.

#39 Posted by Solh0und (1763 posts) -

Desmond to me has always came off as flat and boring.

#40 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

This might be jumping the gun a little but playing as Desmond feels like the natural next step for the franchise to conclude the overarching story throughout the AC series thus far.

#41 Posted by supermonkey122 (814 posts) -

Technically, you're playing as Desmond the whole time, just in the Animus.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.