Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

Recon = Impossible

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

So I've tried playing recon for the past couple of days, but for the life of me I just can't get headshots with the rifles. I'm aware of the bullet drop thing and I've seen videos of it, but everytime I try it in game, nothing happens. Also, sometimes I hit a person square on the head at short or medium range and it registers as a miss. I've tried adjusting for bullet drop, not adjusting for bullet drop, short range, medium range, long range, shooting while crouched, shooting while not crouched, shooting moving targets, shooting stationary targets, moving while shooting, stationary shooting, jumping then shooting (like back in counterstrike), shooting up at an angle, shooting down at an angle - nothing works. I can get the rare headshot here and there, but only if the person is stock still and about 5-10 meters from me - and only then, sometimes. I was a great sniper in Counterstrike, Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty, Brothers in Arms, etc. but I'm playing like a noob here. Both me and the servers I play on have less than 100 ping, and I'm playing at a constant 60fps. Is there something I'm missing? 

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@OP. Keep practicing. It took me a bit to get used to the rifles.  

It sounds more like you are having issues with lag. Try a private game with a friend and test it out.  

Edit. 

I just recalled. A few maps I have had strange issues with the bullet hitting something when something is not there. 

It happened on a conquest map with a large rotating radar dish thing. Even if my line of sight was clear. The bullet seemed to think it had its path blocked. 
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By emkeighcameron

Start "easy" by using the M95 with magnum rounds. It does 99% damage on the body (so any other damage on that player beforehand means they're pretty much dead meat).

I've had a lot of bullets not register for me (with sniper rifles and others) so yeah, just gotta deal. It really sucks, especially when it happens at a critical moment, like taking an MCOM station. 

The shooting mechanics definitely have a unique feel in BC2, so don't worry too much. It's really all about speed: how fast can you get on target and pull the trigger. Nine times out of ten, if I really fuck up a sniper rifle shot, it's because I hesitated too long and got counter-sniped by my target.

The ultimate solution is, of course, just don't play recon. Play something more useful.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

I despise sniping in this game. Im horrible at it. Do what I do....

Unlock the Saga Semi auto shotgun, and the extra shotgun ammo and lightweight perks.... Then just sprint towards people while blowing stuff up with your C4.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ArchScabby

I've had some lag problems with the sniper rifles where I shoot someone and can see blood fly off them, but I don't get the X in the crosshairs and I didn't actually hit them.  It's annoying.

Avatar image for collegefootballguy
    CollegeFootballGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mikemcn said:
    "I despise sniping in this game. Im horrible at it. Do what I do....  Unlock the Saga Semi auto shotgun, and the extra shotgun ammo and lightweight perks.... Then just sprint towards people while blowing stuff up with your C4. "

This. its just pure win
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Hamz

I have no difficulty in playing the Recon class at all. I get plenty of head shots and kills, never had an issue with my shots missing or not registering at all like you seem to be suffering from. That being said I play on the PS3 so perhaps it's down to a bug in the PC version?

I'm usually a good sniper in most shooters and while I admit the sniping in BFBC2 is a challenge, it shouldn't be this difficult for you if you've had decent sniping experience in previous shooters. Perhaps you're just unlucky and/or need to play another class for awhile? I found early on in the game I couldn't get to grips with the Medic class and the accuracy increasing as you fire for longer etc but now I feel more confident with it.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By xMP44x

I recommend that you use the M24 sniper for a bit, and follow snipers on your team. You'll learn points that are good to snipe from and you'll see how other snipers play. While this will teach you good spots to go to, it'll also teach you to keep an eye out, as well as showing you common sniping spots that you'll have to eventually counter snipe. Here are my sniping tips:

Try and stay hidden. This one is incredibly obvious, but you'd be surprised how many snipers stand on the rocks at the top of the ridge near the start of Arica Harbor. This makes them 'pretty obvious', and this makes them dead easy to eliminate. 

Learn bullet drop patterns. Sniping lots is the easiest way to do this. Try and find a sniper who is not moving, and make sure to put his scope a little above his head. Not too far. A few centimeters is all you need. The bullet should drop into his face. Problem solved, and shot successful.

Don't try and do something outside your skills. For example, you see a fast moving Black Hawk. Don't try and snipe the pilot. At least not until you get good with the drop and bullet travel time. And then you can do it all you want.

Try all the rifles. Every sniper rifle has a different scope. The M24, GOL and M95 Barrett have the easiest scopes to use, so stick with them until you get good! Or, try the SV-98 Snaiperskaya. I can't use the scope for it well, but some people prefer the scope for it. You might be one of those people, and that is perfectly cool. So play to your advantages.

Use the 12x Scope. You do have to unlock this bit of kit, but it's well worth your time. It's a higher powered zoom for your rifle's scope, and that can make shooting a lot easier from extreme range.

Use the notches on your scope. See those little dots on your M24's scope? Once you learn the bullet drop you can effectively gauge it using those notches. There are the same thing on all the other rifles, but it's a matter of practice to get to the point where you can use it in the same way. But I hope this has been useful to you!

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rockanomics

Do this?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYyt-puk9a4 

Main thing I would suggest is just shoot at the general area you expect your targets to be, hold down fire when you do it to keep the scope up and watch the bullet drop.  

After a couple of test shots you can see which notch on the crosshair you should be using as reference.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm quite a damn good sniper, I could take everyone out when I was playing the beta on ps3, since I couldn't get in on the pc demo. I could take out half the other team, you want to know my secrets geno?

Aim slightly above their heads, the bullet will drop right on their head and you get a headshot and a ton of points like some skillful pro gamer and stuff.
    Dejkrigeren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dejkrigeren

I absolutely hated sniping with the m24 in the beginning, that being said then as soon as you unlock the powerhouse of german design that is the GOL then it basically becomes a point and click adventure game.
    If you want to play sniper on easy mode then just join a hardcore game and get nothing but 1 shot kills.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Geno

Ok, thanks for the tips. I really wish there was some sort of shooting range or target practice mode in this game so I could experiment a bit more. 

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By sjupp

Geno, when you've gotten good at it and you happen to go on a sniper spree.. That's when you'll understand why so many are recon.
    I sat on Isla Innocentes and got 9 headshots out of a 10 bullet mag and with a couple of seconds in between the hits. *starts playing BC2 again*

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Karl_Boss

I'm not a very good sniper and I can pull off some marksman headshots....it just takes practice.....also each rifles bullet drop is different.

kabuto202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kabuto202

I haven't ever noticed bullet drop. I use the starter sniper all the time, and I get headshots easy from across the map. (More or less.) It might have something to do with your internet connection though. I have a friend who has the same issue and his lowest latency is 93. While for me, my ping  averages at around 32. 

P.S. Sniper Recons suck. I learned that 3 weeks into the game. Saiga Shotty + Extended Shotty Clip + C4 + Extra Ammo +Motion Mines  + 3rd Unlocked Pistol = Good Recon.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By FirePrince

I call it the "Demolitons" sometimes,when I used the combo specified by kabuto,but I am currently using the Sniper Class as it should be used:Head Huntin'.And I am having a blast,it is awesome killing unsuspecting enemies.Then again,I seem to be pretty decent with all the classes,and I alterate between them.Also,if you despise long range shots,then you can use the SVU(4th sniper you unlock I think) with Magnum Ammo.Great fun.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Bollard

Hardcore mode + M24 = 1 hit kill body shots. 

Sorted.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I don't snipe when I am recon. I blow up shit with recon.

philuk19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By philuk19

Wow really? Recon is pretty damn easy, I use the GOL or M95 and you just have to be aware of bullet drop and that bullets dont reach their targets right away. Aim above and across from a running target, or directly above for a stationary target and adjust height based on distance.
     Not to mention the pistols which are super powerful or the c4 or the motar strikes.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xMP44x
    @philuk19 said:
    " Wow really? Recon is pretty damn easy, I use the GOL or M95 and you just have to be aware of bullet drop and that bullets dont reach their targets right away. Aim above and across from a running target, or directly above for a stationary target and adjust height based on distance.  Not to mention the pistols which are super powerful or the c4 or the motar strikes. "
    Yes, but due to the fact that you have unlocked both the GOL Sniper Magnum, and the M95, it is clear that you have used the Recon class a lot. Therefore you are used to all of this stuff, and would likely be a better sniper than the OP, and probably myself as well. I find the GOL is one of my favorite rifles and it is extremely easy to use. Oh, and it's accurate. The only pistol I don't feel is that powerful, is actually the final one you get: the M93R Burst (or the M93 Raffica to any Call of Duty players out there). Hate that thing so much.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Geno

Ok guys I have another question, is it just me or does the spotting scope do nothing? Isn't it supposed to automatically spot people? I end up still having to hit Q everytime, it hasn't done what I thought it was supposed to do even once so far. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was my understanding that the spotting scope made it so that you didn't have to be aiming directly at the person you are trying to spot, so you can spot anybody in your scope. 

pslough93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pslough93

Pro tip- Mark your target before firing and aim for the center of the orange arrow. Instant marksman headshot 95% of the time

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ArchScabby
    @Chavtheworld said:
    " Hardcore mode + M24 = 1 hit kill body shots.  Sorted. "
    = shitty game
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By raiz265
    @ArchScabby said:
    " @Chavtheworld said:
    = shitty game "
    hardcore is a joke :E
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By withateethuh

Its pretty easy to get headshots if you can judge the distance well. Its not too complicated, usually in the middle of a battle they won't realize where the shot is coming from allowing you to try again if you miss.

I'm actually quite surprised how good I am at sniping in this game.

newt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By newt

pro tip: mark your targets before you shoot-- that way if the other guy is gunning for you, a team mate can knock him out if you miss

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Tuggah

I found this game to have easy sniping. I usually suck at sniping (it is usually boring in most games), but in this game I am a relatively decent sniper.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Geno said:

" So I've tried playing recon for the past couple of days, but for the life of me I just can't get headshots with the rifles. I'm aware of the bullet drop thing and I've seen videos of it, but everytime I try it in game, nothing happens. Also, sometimes I hit a person square on the head at short or medium range and it registers as a miss. I've tried adjusting for bullet drop, not adjusting for bullet drop, short range, medium range, long range, shooting while crouched, shooting while not crouched, shooting moving targets, shooting stationary targets, moving while shooting, stationary shooting, jumping then shooting (like back in counterstrike), shooting up at an angle, shooting down at an angle - nothing works. I can get the rare headshot here and there, but only if the person is stock still and about 5-10 meters from me - and only then, sometimes. I was a great sniper in Counterstrike, Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty, Brothers in Arms, etc. but I'm playing like a noob here. Both me and the servers I play on have less than 100 ping, and I'm playing at a constant 60fps. Is there something I'm missing?  "

You just gotta get used to it. If you hold the fire button, you don't zoom out after shooting, so you can watch your bullet tracer and adjust your shot accordingly. Also, you may want to invest in a mouse with adjustable DPI, like the Logitech G500. You'll need low DPI/sensitivity to be able to effectively line up your shots at far range. And DON'T shoot at moving targets if you're just getting used to bullet drop, you won't hit shit. Instead, focus on sniping stationary targets, like snipers and MG's, then work your way up. Also, choose the spotter scope and spot spot spot. That spotting is incredibly useful for your team, and will earn you massive assist points. Also make sure to throw those motion sensors.

@Chavtheworld said:

This is how you get BAD at the game. Play it on regular, it will force you to learn how to headshot.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Geno
    @jmrwacko: Wow I didn't know about the holding the mouse down thing, thanks. 
    DoubleKR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DoubleKR

just dont shoot what you cant hit. one shot one kill. sometimes you'll never die or get any kills but trust me eventually you'll learn to be better.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jmrwacko

Also, maybe this will help you better judge the bullet drop?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I rarely miss playing on Recon. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34  Edited By natetodamax

I can't snipe either. I was the happiest person on earth when I unlocked the last thing for the Recon class because it meant I never had to use it again. Besides, most snipers I've encountered [on my team] are useless.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Geno
    @jmrwacko: Would you say the M95 has more or less bullet drop than the GOL? For that matter, does the magnum ammo reduce bullet drop? And what is the rifle with the least bullet drop? Thanks. 
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By floodiastus
    @Mikemcn said:
    " I despise sniping in this game. Im horrible at it. Do what I do....  Unlock the Saga Semi auto shotgun, and the extra shotgun ammo and lightweight perks.... Then just sprint towards people while blowing stuff up with your C4. "
    or just use magnum ammo and slugs on the Saiga... no trajectory drops on slugs. Just pwn those snipers, I take em all out at 300+ metres before they can get that headshot in on me ;)
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Geno said:

" @jmrwacko: Would you say the M95 has more or less bullet drop than the GOL? For that matter, does the magnum ammo reduce bullet drop? And what is the rifle with the least bullet drop? Thanks.  "

I think the gol has less bullet drop than the other rifles, could be wrong. Definitely handles better. The main perk of the M95 is that it's still 70 dmg to the body at max range and is a 1-shot kill within 50 meters with magnum ammo, plus it does damage to helicopters and light vehicles. The gol will do like 45 damage max range with a body shot, but it (I think) has less bullet drop, and it zooms, shoots, and reloads quicker than the other rifles. I'd say the 3 easiest snipers to use are the gol, followed by the M24 and then the SVD. M95 is sort of clunky.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Geno
    @jmrwacko: Bullet drop to me is a bit weird. On some occasions, it seems you don't even have to aim a few millimeters above their head (even if they're really far), and in other ocassions, it seems as if you have to aim a half-body length above their head. Is distance the only governing factor? 
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Geno said:
    " @jmrwacko: Bullet drop to me is a bit weird. On some occasions, it seems you don't even have to aim a few millimeters above their head (even if they're really far), and in other ocassions, it seems as if you have to aim a half-body length above their head. Is distance the only governing factor?  "
    Yes. Also, if you're using a higher zoom scope, the bullet will seem to have more drop because you're zoomed in further. I'm thinking that perhaps it seems to most people that the gol has less bullet drop than the M95 because the M95 has a higher native zoom, and the 12x zoom scope is a multiplier on the default scope (meaning that the M95 12x scope has a bigger zoom than the gol 12x scope.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.