Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Why is Elizabeth a sex object?

Zephyire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Zephyire
    I am rather tired of this trend in games. I know it's unlikely to change, but still, bleh.

@GuyIncognito said:
    @Ragdrazi said:
    Yeah. We're stupid.  Her tits are about the size of her face.  Do you know a girl with tits the size of her face?   Let me answer that, before the kids start talking. No you don't. I mean, what would the harm be in having this woman just look like a woman. And not like two cantaloupes floating around.
    Wow, are you bitter about your g/f being a washboard or something?
    Even (real) women with considerably large breasts do not have ones that are as large as their heads. Nice attempt at an insult, though (not really).
    nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By nail1080
    @BombKareshi said:
    @Ragdrazi said:

Yeah. We're stupid.  Her tits are about the size of her face.  Do you know a girl with tits the size of her face?

My sister?  Edit: OK, I'll leave.
    haha lol 

...but yeah leave
    tenderbrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By tenderbrew

Yes, please make all video game women from here on out ugly, unattractive fat girls. That way it will be way more believable when the giant, muscled, gun-toting dude shows up to woo her. 

This is exactly what I've been saying!

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ChickenPants

It's a videogame. They know that they should present something fappable to the neckbeards.

I'd prefer if she wasn't showing quite so much cleavage but as far as videogame characters go she's fine.

Also the artstyle is pretty stylised so that's why her face looks kind of cartoony.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By CptBedlam

@Gnomicidal said:

Yes, please make all video game women from here on out ugly, unattractive fat girls. That way it will be way more believable when the giant, muscled, gun-toting dude shows up to woo her. This is exactly what I've been saying!

Same applies to the dudes. I'm pretty sick of the industry using the same boring male stereotype for the main characters. Have fat guys, have old guys, whatever ... the "muscular/fit dude with short hair"-design just bores me to death.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By CptBedlam

@ChickenPants said:

It's a videogame. They know that they should present something fappable to the neckbeards. I'd prefer if she wasn't showing quite so much cleavage but as far as videogame characters go she's fine.

Then why are their games that don't resort to these lazy designs? In the end, I have much more respect for games like Ico or SotC because I feel that the designers of such games also have much more respect for me as a gamer instead of treating me like a horny animal and go the easy route by catering to my primal instincts. In recent years I noticed that whenever it becomes too transparent for me how design decisions are influenced by marketing decisions, focus groups etc, I'm less interested in the game.

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By 1p

Yeah, i always thought her boobs were unnecessarily pronounced. The game certainly doesn't seem to need it, and it might give a misleading first impression to people.

That said, they're nice boobs.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By GuyIncognito
    @Zephyire said:
    I am rather tired of this trend in games. I know it's unlikely to change, but still, bleh.

@GuyIncognito said:
    @Ragdrazi said:
    Yeah. We're stupid.  Her tits are about the size of her face.  Do you know a girl with tits the size of her face?   Let me answer that, before the kids start talking. No you don't. I mean, what would the harm be in having this woman just look like a woman. And not like two cantaloupes floating around.
    Wow, are you bitter about your g/f being a washboard or something?
    Even (real) women with considerably large breasts do not have ones that are as large as their heads. 
    Neither does the character in this video game.
    Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By Djratchet

CLEAVAGE?! IN MYYY VIDEO GAMES? *SLAMS DESK* I WONT HAVE IT!

nah. I don't see it as a problem. When I think of Elizabeth, I think about what she can do in terms of her rift powers before I think of her... gifted proportions.

It's a bioshock game, I doubt we will be gaping at elizabeth too often... too busy jumping off flying buildings and such.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By ChickenPants
    @CptBedlam said:

@ChickenPants said:

It's a videogame. They know that they should present something fappable to the neckbeards. I'd prefer if she wasn't showing quite so much cleavage but as far as videogame characters go she's fine.

Then why are their games that don't resort to these lazy designs? In the end, I have much more respect for games like Ico or SotC because I feel that the designers of such games also have much more respect for me as a gamer instead of treating me like a horny animal and go the easy route by catering to my primal instincts. In recent years I noticed that whenever it becomes too transparent for me how design decisions are influenced by marketing decisions, focus groups etc, I'm less interested in the game.

The games you cite aren't trying to appeal to as mass an audience as the guys at Irrational are. Everybody knows ICO AND SotC are small artsy games so using them as a comparison to a AAA release expected to shift millions of copies isn't really effective.

Plus, I'm sure they focus tested the hell out of the animal thingy's appearance for the Last Guardian.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By penguindust
    @CptBedlam said:

@PenguinDust said:

I agree with this. Either the woman in question exhibits the genetic traits of being a good mate and child-bearer (large breasts, round hips), or she is helplessly child-like (remember Ico?).

Then why not do it the classy Ico-way? Would've been a much better fit. Now it just seems like they do it for lazy marketing reasons.

Well, with the implied romance, I get the feeling some people would be even more bothered by the idea of pursuing a waifish Elizabeth. 
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By CptBedlam

@ChickenPants said:

@CptBedlam said:

@ChickenPants said:

The games you cite aren't trying to appeal to as mass an audience as the guys at Irrational are. Everybody knows ICO AND SotC are small artsy games so using them as a comparison to a AAA release expected to shift millions of copies isn't really effective.

That's of course a valid point and I thought about it as well. I just think of Ken Levine as one of those few successful visionaries in the industry, who'd be able to put artistry before marketing even if it costs a few thousand sales.

Man, someone really has to do a survey about the tits=sales theory and whether it applies to all genres. Who are these people whose decision to buy a game like Bioshock Infinite is influenced by tit size above all other things?

@ChickenPants said:

Plus, I'm sure they focus tested the hell out of the animal thingy's appearance for the Last Guardian.

I highly doubt it. That thing still looks weird as hell and not at all mass-appealingly cute.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By duskvamp

I agree that she's dressed for the time period and that that's what corsets do, but they could have reeled it back just the slightest bit to make it look a bit more in proportion. The biggest thing I noticed from the trailers were how cartoony her eyes looked.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By thatpinguino  Moderator

There is nothing inherently wrong with designing a female character the way Irrational has designed Elizabeth, just because you design a female character to be attractive does not mean she will be treated like a sex object in the context of the story. 

Also would you consider it more feminist and realistic if Elizabeth was intentionally made overweight or if she had a crooked nose, some sort of physical characteristic that people would deem ugly.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By CptBedlam

@PenguinDust said:

@CptBedlam said:

@PenguinDust said:

I agree with this. Either the woman in question exhibits the genetic traits of being a good mate and child-bearer (large breasts, round hips), or she is helplessly child-like (remember Ico?).

Then why not do it the classy Ico-way? Would've been a much better fit. Now it just seems like they do it for lazy marketing reasons.

Well, with the implied romance, I get the feeling some people would be even more bothered by the idea of pursuing a waifish Elizabeth.

Really good point which actually answers the topic creator's question.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By CptBedlam

@thatpinguino said:

There is nothing inherently wrong with designing a female character the way Irrational has designed Elizabeth, just because you design a female character to be attractive does not mean she will be treated like a sex object in the context of the story.

She is treated as a sex object in front of the player.

@thatpinguino said:

Also would you consider it more feminist and realistic if Elizabeth was intentionally made overweight or if she had a crooked nose, some sort of physical characteristic that people would deem ugly.

The opposite of overly huge boobies is not "ugly".

TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By TanoPrime

Because flats tits and ass makes one look like 12 yr old boys.  Go boobs...
    Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Phr4nk0

So for you to take a woman seriously she can't be good looking because she's just being a sex object, if she expects to be taken seriously in todays society she needs to ugly herself up some. Everyone knows that in life you need to decide to be either a shallow vapid looker or a dowdy/homely person with some real personality and some intellegence because that's the way things work. It sounds like you are copping to stereotypes more than Lavine.
    thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By thatpinguino  Moderator
    @CptBedlam: I know that is why I did not include smaller boobs in what I said.  I mean that an exaggerated bust is considered to be overtly sexual.  Would a character that had a weight issue or some kind of physical flaw, the kind that real people often have, be more acceptable.  

But more to your point, a toned down bust could be considered more realistic, but there are plenty of women with breasts as big at Elizabeth's are, hers are not unrealistically big, especially by gaming standards. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-589b97df1f8d4
    deactivated-589b97df1f8d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see nothing wrong with her.
    GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By GuyIncognito
    @PeasForFees said:

Original design 
     Original design 

At least the new one doesn't look like a splicer.
    I prefer the original face.
    Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#73  Edited By Bumpton

I wouldn't have (as much of) a problem with the tits if there wasn't so much effing cleavage. I actually found myself being slightly embarassed to show this game to a friend, despite how awesome it looks. Just cover it up a little bit! If I just DESPERATELY NEED to see some tits, I'll go online. 

Haha, it doesn't help that your character is quite a bit taller. It makes me feel like I'm just staring down her dress, which adds to the creep level.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By CptBedlam

@PeasForFees said:

Original design
    Original design

Wow, the original design is much better in my opinion.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By probablytuna

I'm so so with her design, but I really dig her voice right now.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#76  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Im surprised someone with the name @AssInAss: would tell other people to be classy.

Anyway it wasn't that rare for girls of that time to wear corsets, which highlights some of their sexier parts. Although I would have preferred they would have taken the classier route and took an example for characters like Alyx, Faith and Jade I think the way they made her look isn't overly sexualized and she does fit the style of the world and other characters in it.

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Bumpton
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

Anyway it wasn't that rare for girls of that time to wear corsets, which highlights some of their sexier parts. Although I would have preferred they would have taken the classier route and took an example for characters like Alyx, Faith and Jade I think the way they made her look isn't overly sexualized and she does fit the style of the world and other characters in it.

I guess you have a point there about the time period stuff... I think Valve's spoiled me though. To me, that's pretty much the only company I can think of that always makes really strong females AND keeps them dressed like real-life girls.
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Vexxan

She's one good looking video game character, deal with it.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#79  Edited By Turambar

Nothing I've seen of the game makes me think of Elizabeth as a sexual object.  Does the characters in the game treat her as one?  Does the game it self put any emphasis on her cleavage with camera pans?  Is her attire wholly inappropriate for the setting of the game?  We won't know the answer to the first two until the game is released and the answer to the third is a clear "no".

A female character does not become a sexual object just because "hey, she has breasts that I noticed."  She does so when the game itself is trying to tell you "LOOK AT HER BREASTS!  NOTICE THEM BOUNCING!" 

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Turambar said:
    Nothing I've seen of the game makes me think of Elizabeth as a sexual object.  Does the characters in the game treat her as one?  Does the game it self put any emphasis on her cleavage with camera pans?  Is her attire wholly inappropriate for the setting of the game?  We won't know the answer to the first two until the game is released and the answer to the third is a clear "no".  A female character does not become a sexual object just because "hey, she has breasts that I noticed."  She does so when the game itself is trying to tell you "LOOK AT HER BREASTS!  NOTICE THEM BOUNCING!" 
    Pretty much this. It's hilarious how prudish you people are - "OMG SHES A FEMALE WITH BOOBS CALL THE POLICE THIS IS EXPLOITATIVE AND WRONG".
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#81  Edited By Cirdain
    @Galiant said: 

@AssInAss: I'm more interested in why someone called "AssInAss" would find Elizabeth's looks disturbing.

I was gonna say that. 

@Ragdrazi said: 
    Yeah. We're stupid.  Her tits are about the size of her face.  Do you know a girl with tits the size of her face?
     I know over 14 (that's a very low estimate) women, that I personally know, who's tits are at least the size of their face. And all of them them are intelligent kind women. 

@Toms115: Yeah, Valve knows what's what. 

@Noctis: Corset or Bodice. They made the women who wore it breasts' look HUGE. 

@nintendoeats said:

Actually, I think that I have a theory. Men are pretty much hard wired to be sympathetic and protective of women, and especially attractive ones. It seems reasonable to assume that designers will take advantage of this in order to develop stronger relationships between the player and characters in the world. While I don't approve, I at least see the validity there.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty obvious. But yeah, psychologically we would.. most normal people would want to save someone they feel attracted/connected to.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Her childlike, anime face is dumb (but maybe it suits her personality more than the old design). I'm not too bothered by her boobs (although I don't much care for it), but her old face was much better than her current one.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By YoungFrey

I'm far less concerned with how Elizabeth looks than with what her role is in the game.  I don't think having a female character dressed provocatively is anywhere near as sexist(or even at all) as having them need to be protected over and over and over in game after game.  Where women exist just to be captured so you can rescue them.  Emperilled so you can escort them to safety.  Killed so you can be mad.  Every time i hear about a game where your girlfriend in kidnapped and you have to go save her, I die a little insider.  Plenty of female feminists will tell you they like being sexy, but don't want to be defined by how they look.  This thread has gone on for pages concentrating on Elizabeth's looks.I really hope this game defies expectations and she turns out to be much more than someone who needs to be protected.
    matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By matiaz_tapia

Not to be judgmental, but if men where mature enough , she could be naked and it wouldn't matter. We are not there yet of course, but at least this things only matter if you give them importance. 

The part where you wish for her to be more "covered up" comes from your own shame, not from the part where women should have to cover up. Unless you are from a Muslim country where that's the norm, in that case is your own cultural prerogative to demand it on the female gender so you can feel better and safer about your own sexuality. ( as well as the female gender to feel safer. Covering up means they don't have to be many things that another culture would demand them to be in order to be "attractive", but this is one hell of a tangent already and I'll stop here.)

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#85  Edited By TwoLines

Yeah, that's a big cleavage.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @YoungFrey: Well, Ken Levine has often said in interviews that to prevent this game from being one long escort mission they made it so Elizabeth is powerful enough to take care of herself. In the E3 demo, it was cited in podcasts (and in the Giant Bomb - Levine interview video)  that she kicks a dude in the balls, for example. Of course, your overall mission is to rescue her from Columbia, but it seems she's still capable on her own. 

@Matiaz_Tapia said: 
    Not to be judgmental, but if men where mature enough , she could be naked and it wouldn't matter. We are not there yet of course, but at least this things only matter if you give them importance.
    Please tell me how that has anything to do with maturity.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#87  Edited By Cirdain
    @Vodun said: 

Big eyes = cute, innocent = men get protective.

this  

@CptBedlam said: 

@thatpinguino said:

The opposite of overly huge boobies is not "ugly".

I do not assume that all people would deem the opposite as ugly either. 

@CptBedlam said:

@PeasForFees said:

Original design
    Original design

I prefer the non-shitty screenshot. You know the one that isn't halfway through an expression or smiling. 
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By YoungFrey
    @FluxWaveZ said:  Well, Ken Levine has often said in interviews that to prevent this game from being one long escort mission they made it so Elizabeth is powerful enough to take care of herself. In the E3 demo, it was cited in podcasts (and in the Giant Bomb - Levine interview video)  that she kicks a dude in the balls, for example. Of course, your overall mission is to rescue her from Columbia, but it seems she's still capable on her own.  

I've seen what Ken Levine has said.  But it's still ostensibly a game where you protecting a girl from some terrible force.  I get the impression she isn't taking care of herself, she's surviving long enough for you to save her.  I really hope it lives up to their promises and the game goes somewhere interesting with it.  Like on mission 2 Booker gets killed and you play as Elizabeth for the rest of the game.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By napalm
    @CptBedlam said:

@PeasForFees said:

Original design
    Original design

I was excited when I saw the original design... originally. I liked the slightly over-exaggerated faces, the big eyes and wider heads. She looks more normal now, but slightly cartoony, and it just makes her look a little funny. 
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By bybeach

I like her new hair style, looks less like a girl. Her neck could be a bit thicker, that might help. As for her chest, that I think was the style of the day. These days on an average basis you just do not see that much pronounced cleavage. I do believe I did when I was younger though.

supercubedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#91  Edited By supercubedude

@Turambar said:

Nothing I've seen of the game makes me think of Elizabeth as a sexual object. Does the characters in the game treat her as one? Does the game it self put any emphasis on her cleavage with camera pans? Is her attire wholly inappropriate for the setting of the game? We won't know the answer to the first two until the game is released and the answer to the third is a clear "no". A female character does not become a sexual object just because "hey, she has breasts that I noticed." She does so when the game itself is trying to tell you "LOOK AT HER BREASTS! NOTICE THEM BOUNCING!"

I agree. It depends on the context they give it in the game. This isn't Duke Nukem.

Side note, I'm trademarking the name "Duke Nukem Infinite".

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By bybeach

And yes, just to mention it, Alyx is a supremely relatable character to me, except the duct tape patch might be overdone she might try to stitch a nice piece of leather on. She looks attractive in a almost hyper realistic way for games (that is real life, not cartoon hot), and is also costumed correctly for her times.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#93  Edited By Brendan

I'm suprised at the complaint about male stereotypes in this thread. Main male characters are often impossibly muscled because they're ninjas who defeat countless demons for hours at a time, they're hardened space marines, they're biologically enhancedsuper soldiers. Being ridiculously in shape kind of comes with the territory of being the avatar in a game where you kill hundreds of people without collapsing from exhaustion. The physique is in top form because the physically demanding tasks are impossible.

That being said, I see this issue in some kind of gray area. Yes, it's design was to make an appealing female character, but the corset style which really did make womens bust quite prominent was the thing to wear back then. Also, the fact that she isn't just some damsel in distress, but one with powers and functions tells me that there's going to be more to her in the game than just boobs.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By matiaz_tapia
    @FluxWaveZ:  Wonder why the quote came back out with black letters... Anyhow, when I said " not to be judgmental" I meant precisely that. It's not about personal maturity, is more about cultural maturity. It's more of an anthropology problem that it is a judgement of character on a particular person about this particular situation :).   

I thought the second part of what I said explained that better, but I was wrong to assume. I guess your take on the issue and to quote what I mean: " I'm not too bothered by her boobs (although I don't much care for it)" Is what I would call more mature in a personal level if you where at all insulted by what I said. 
    Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Solemn

For the love of god, not another discussion about Elizabeth's chest again.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Matiaz_Tapia: I wasn't insulted, but I think I better understand what you meant. Although, I was mostly referring to your comment stating that if we were more culturally mature, we wouldn't react even if she was completely naked. That's what I took issue with the most.
    thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By thedj93

She's supposed to fit in with the atmosphere of the place in the way that she stands out. The design is most likely inspired by turn-of-the-century propoganda drawings, if i had to guess.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By thedj93
    @Elazul said:
    Am I the only one who has a problem with the fact that this guy clearly wants to have sex with dolls?
    touché
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By ryanwho

Im more bothered by her goofy anime sized eyes.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#100  Edited By Jeust
    @Meowshi said:
    Or maybe gamers just like big tits.    I think we're over-thinking this, honestly.
    Would it be better if she didn't have tits? :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.