A Bizarre Goodbye

#151 Edited by MisfitToy (136 posts) -
@Jayzilla:  

Agreed.  Project Gotham Racing was the first racing game I ever played that I actually finished and enjoyed.
#152 Posted by Devil240Z (3406 posts) -

I guess this means no Metropolis Street Racer 2...

#153 Posted by Dedodido (235 posts) -

Here's to hoping the ex-members of Bizzare creations will make their own studio free of the tyranical reign of Activision.

#154 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

Damn gotham racing was dope

#155 Posted by Nedemis (56 posts) -

MS should pick them up again.  It was foolish to let them go in the first place.

#156 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

:'(

#157 Posted by armaan8014 (5440 posts) -

The 1994 - 2011 part really got me :(

#158 Posted by villainy (587 posts) -

I wrote this whole big post and realized everyone has already said what I needed to say so I'll shorten it down. 

Much love Bizarre and the best to every individual. Fuck Activision from the top and a good ways down. 

Developers++ 
Greedy Publisher Overlords--

#159 Posted by SuBsTaNcE (52 posts) -

Instead of all the people on here complaining about the closure of bizzare how about you just maybe buy the games of the developers you "so called" support?

The bottom line is that you guys didn't buy enough so they got shut down .

Now I have never been a fan of bizarre so although the closure is bad news for the people involved and sad for everyone involved in gaming it doesn't really surprise me

So many people seem shocked at the closure but surely if you all bought their games they would currently be working on their next big title

#160 Posted by Codeacious (960 posts) -

I decided to fire up some Blur because of this. 

Now, I'm really sad there's not going to be a Blur 2. They definitely had something there, and it's depressing to know that PGR, Geometry Wars, and Blur will just fade away now that they're gone.

#161 Posted by SUPERGHOST (57 posts) -

Blogged the shit out of the BC closure this week.  Sad day indeed for gamers...
#162 Posted by Krampus (141 posts) -

RIP Bizarre.  Geometry wars is the only game I still play on my DS.  

And Activision, you can go fuck yourself.

#163 Posted by Little_Socrates (5694 posts) -

Beautiful musical selection. 

I love Bizarre's work on Geometry Wars. I've never been much of a racing fan, so I don't shy at not having picked up PGR or Blur. But I've bought two copies of Geometry Wars, as well as GW2. 

From that point of view, I can say that they had an extremely talented team of gameplay designers, artists, musicians, and sound engineers. If they had made more games in that style, I would've been thrilled to pay out the nose for their work. It's unfortunate that racing, like the music genre, has largely lost the pull it once had to make major sales. 

Hopefully, all the fine developers at the studio will be picked up and be making original game design again soon.

#164 Posted by Joker369 (882 posts) -

R.I.P Bizarre Creations, good luck in the future to all those involved EXCEPT ACTIVISION

#165 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Kudos

#166 Posted by Kontrapunkt (413 posts) -

Man, I like PGR a lot, and James Bond was jolly not the best games but cool.. and man... geometry wars.

RIP Bizzare.

#167 Posted by JuggaloAcidman (310 posts) -

This really sucks! Where did it all go wrong?

#168 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

I thought Project Gotham was a game that sold quite well. What happened?

#169 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

Good luck to you guys :(

#170 Posted by Skald (4369 posts) -

Activision, you cannibalizing motherfucker.

#171 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Blur was one of my favorite modern racing games.  Godspeed, guys :(

#172 Posted by DrMadHatten (118 posts) -

Man it's a tough world out there if these guys got dissolved. Hard to take big risks? I would love to hear how exactly this happened.

#173 Posted by theredace (80 posts) -
@Meteora said:
" @SuperSambo said:
" I don't understand. Get them working in PGR5 and you've got a money spinner! Why not do that rather than abandoning them? "
Because its Activision. "
Uh, no...it's Microsoft. They own the PGR franchise which is why Activision doesn't just make another one unless they want to license it back from Microsoft or co-publish or something.

That's the whole reason they did Blur in the first place, because they no longer had the rights to make another PGR--so they had do a racing game by another name.
#174 Posted by Hypertreb (104 posts) -

Such a great developer....

and now they are gone. Why Activision? WHY!?!?

#175 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@theredace said:
" @Meteora said:
" @SuperSambo said:
" I don't understand. Get them working in PGR5 and you've got a money spinner! Why not do that rather than abandoning them? "
Because its Activision. "
Uh, no...it's Microsoft. They own the PGR franchise which is why Activision doesn't just make another one unless they want to license it back from Microsoft or co-publish or something.  That's the whole reason they did Blur in the first place, because they no longer had the rights to make another PGR--so they had do a racing game by another name. "
Hm, interesting. Didn't know that.
#176 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Out of work Scousers are dangerous, no good can come of this.

Joking. But I am moving my car.

#177 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

At least their babies will live on. In infamy../

#178 Posted by Psykhophear (941 posts) -

They had the potential to be one of the greats and it's unfortunate that they had met their demise before their time. I think I'll pop in The Club today as a tribute to one of the most promising gaming companies ever, Bizarre Creations.  

Thank you for entertaining us with all your magnificent games and all the best in your future endeavors. 

Love, 

Psykhophear 

P/S: And as for Activision, I wish that one day you will face the same fate as a dose of your own medicine. Bizarre was doing fine until you interfered. I hope you're happy Activision, because we're not. May this year's bad economy will hunt you down and kill every one of you insects.

#179 Posted by Rawrz (598 posts) -

Ill always love Bizarre for the fact that they made Geometry Wars and to this day that is still one of my all time favorite games. Kudos Bizarre, kudos indeed.

#180 Posted by CookieMonster (2443 posts) -

Fuck Activition. 

#181 Posted by MachoFantastico (4863 posts) -

I remember (if my memory doesn't trick me) them developing an rather great Formula One game on the PS1. Played the hell out of that. 

#182 Posted by berva (101 posts) -

I can't believe a development house like Bizzare is going out like this.  Project Gotham/Geometry Wars and Blur seriously all very good games.  Camon Microsoft, purchase this team and get busy on PGR5!

#183 Posted by 1p (760 posts) -

Total bummer.

The end title card should have been:

Bizarre Creations

1994-2011

Fuck you, Activision.

#184 Posted by isomeri (1389 posts) -

I honestly can't see how Microsoft would let a property like PGR slip from their hands. Bizarre housed a huge amount of talent, and I'm sure that even if the former employees won't get to work on another PGR-game, they will find work elsewhere. I wonder if Turn 10 is employing...

#185 Edited by swfcfan (264 posts) -

A sad loss for the UK games industy, and gamers in general.

Im gutted to see another UK developer go under, Activi$ion seem to have a bussiness stratagey of buying rival developers, milking there franchise's and then dumping them when sales dont meet there  ridiculous expectations.  I guess Blizzard should be warned!

I now no longer feel like buying another Activi$ion game again as Activi$ion are harming the gaming industry with these actions, by closing developers and removing choice for gamers.

#186 Posted by Diachron (91 posts) -

*sniff*  Thanks for the memories, BC-- here's wishing your departed members success in 2011.

#187 Posted by Legend (2660 posts) -

Fuck Activision.

#188 Posted by swfcfan (264 posts) -
@isomeri said:

" I honestly can't see how Microsoft would let a property like PGR slip from their hands. Bizarre housed a huge amount of talent...

Maybe once Bizarre is officially wound up, Microsoft will respawn the Bizzare team as a new studio.
I hope so anyway even tho im a PS3 owner!
#189 Posted by MJHAYLETT (443 posts) -

I would have bought a PGR5 Day One. Sniff. Good Luck Bizarre I hope we see your games again.

#190 Posted by spankingaddict (2727 posts) -

No more PGR! :(  so sad

#191 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1876 posts) -

RIP Bizzaire Creations.... I actually am a bit misty-eyed myself after that.

#192 Posted by XenoNick (1480 posts) -

Farwell Bizarre. Today is a sad day indeed. Activison you suck.

#193 Posted by AndyMP (227 posts) -
@swfcfan: Microsoft own the PGR franchise. That is why after making PGR4 and hooking up with Activision, Bizarre announced their involvment in the PGR franchise was over. It wasn't a property that the Bizarre studio owned, it was owned by MS and is still owned by MS. In fact, rumor has it that they have told a studio to start work on a PGR5 but who knows.
#194 Posted by Turbo_Toaster (978 posts) -

Let this be a lesson to any studio on the receiving end of a visit from an Activision suit. They're a giant parasite feasting on the creative.

#195 Posted by chilipeppersman (1172 posts) -
@CookieMonster said:
" Fuck Activition.  "
my thoughts exactly. This is straight up depressing, and no company like Bizarre Creations should have to be shut down when they make very high quality games
#196 Posted by clarke0 (1077 posts) -

Those saying fuck you to Activision better not have been buying COD year in and year out. Especially after the shit that went down with Infinity Ward.

#197 Posted by G0rd0nFr33m4n (762 posts) -

Yep, misty eye'd here too..... damn this sucks. 

#198 Posted by oliver (124 posts) -

sad to see a other uk game company go dow the pan

#199 Posted by sarge1445 (676 posts) -

Fuck you Activision

#200 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

Damnit, I wanted a PGR 5 too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.