A Bizarre Goodbye

#101 Posted by Underachiever007 (2471 posts) -

Bye, Bizarre Creations.

#102 Posted by jakob187 (22311 posts) -

FUCKING REALLY?!

This is bullshit.  A talented development studio like this, and there's not a single publisher that could've saved them?  Between PGR, Geometry Wars, and Blur, these guys...

...I just have no faith in the video game industry when shit like this is allowed to happen.

#103 Posted by geirr (2853 posts) -

It's easy to dislike Activision but I'm sure no one held a gun to Bizarre's head 
and forced them to join their cult... or did they!?!  

Either way it's sad when this happens.

#104 Posted by Warihay (517 posts) -

Dude Activision is the worst. I hope everyone there lands on their feet and finds work soon.

#105 Posted by Virtua_Ben (144 posts) -

Farwell Bizzare.  I will always have a spot in my heart fro GW.   

Btw, fuck activision.

#106 Posted by Pop (2688 posts) -

Always sad to see a studio go, especially one that's been doing this for some time, I hope they all go on and make great games. also sad to see hudson go too (the US part)

#107 Posted by mnzy (2962 posts) -

Really sad. Geometry Wars 2 is one of my favourite games ever and its makers sure should be making games right now!

#108 Posted by Jan (207 posts) -

Got to know you through Formula 1 (PS1 1996). Form then till know I retain only fond memories. Thank you! Até sempre!
#109 Posted by MisterMouse (3599 posts) -

major bummer... they made some pretty good stuff.

#110 Posted by TermlessHalo (103 posts) -

Fuck this is a sad day.

#111 Posted by Th3_James (2593 posts) -

I loved me some pgr..... :(

#112 Posted by LoggerRythm (191 posts) -

Goodbye Bizarre, I'll miss future versions of Geometry Wars.

#113 Posted by CoolRssL (25 posts) -

So how long until there is a mash up vid with Mad World as the music?

#114 Posted by Tordah (2554 posts) -

Man, sad news. I loved the PGR series. :(

#115 Posted by TorMasturba (1123 posts) -

Activision, as Ryan has already said, if you continue as you already are going you'll lose the trust of most, if not all, Developers and will start to see your reward reduce dramatically because the studio that is producing the "next big thing" won't want to work for you. 

They will only work with you ONLY if you change your ways and allow them to control when they make a sequel/if they make a sequel at all, or just make new and very different games instead. 

Money is all well and good in business, but loyalty from a youthful and freely-reigned horse/developer (as this metephor goes) will continue to nourish and prosper far better than smithing the horse/developer at both ends of his talents till there's nothing left except a tired and bitter shell. 
Nurture him/her, allow them freedom of choice, make sure they listen to suggestion but don't force their hands if they completely disagree with how you think their game should be changed. They know better than you for you are solely a man of the stock-market and they are the artists and video-game lovers of a long time. 
The work of happy passion filled people will increase your profits far more than secondary payed slavery. 
Leave the bees to their bonnet.

#116 Posted by VincentVendetta (342 posts) -

I was really into it until they showed The Club and... yeah.

#117 Posted by Aaron_G (1678 posts) -

Sad day, Geometry Wars was so a fun game. Always sad to see a studio close that makes sense good stuff but just couldn't quite get the units they needed sold.
#118 Posted by bkfountain (105 posts) -

fuck activision up their asses. They bought Bizarre to do F1 games, but were too fucking cheap/stupid to then actually acquire the license over Codemasters. 

Hopefully the industry will pick these talented people back up. They made some incredible games and essentially put XBLA on the map with geometry wars. 

#119 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8504 posts) -

PGR3 was the reason I bought a 360.  I will miss you guys @ Bizarre dearly. 

Kudos to you all and keep on being creative in whatever industries and endeavours you go to next.

#120 Posted by Demmetje (224 posts) -

I wish all of them the best of luck in the future.

#121 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2523 posts) -

I put hundreds of hours into PGR2 online. And no, I am not exaggerating.

#122 Posted by agentboolen (1928 posts) -

One day with Microsoft the next with Activision and the next out of business!  I guess greedy companies got what they wanted from these great developer and then disposed of it like a $2 hooker.  Sad day....

#123 Posted by Mars_Cleric (1646 posts) -

respect
#124 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2704 posts) -

Too all those who made great games only to get trampled under the greedy, short sighted foot of big business, raise a glass.

Also, yeah, as others have said, fuck Activision.

#125 Posted by big_jon (6127 posts) -

Fuck I hate Activisoin.

#126 Posted by DukeTogo (1516 posts) -

If they were so good they wouldn't be out of business.  Fact is their games didn't sell enough, and nobody wanted to buy them.

#127 Posted by ljgpliskin92 (187 posts) -

Pour one out

#128 Posted by Winternet (8234 posts) -

Nice but sad trailer. Farewell Bizarre.

#129 Posted by MetalMoog (969 posts) -

Respect for being a Scouse developer.

#130 Posted by vaportra1l (282 posts) -

Fuck the haters, PGR4 was awesome.  Drifting the old Grand Prix Maserati in the snow on the Nordschleife was the best.  Also the 288 Evoluzione, what an awesome car. 

#131 Posted by JoeRosa (103 posts) -

This is the dumbest closure i have seen in awhile. Hopefully we will see their talents here and there in other games.

#132 Posted by Bollard (6334 posts) -

Rather frightening is that's my birth-year... Very sad for all at Bizarre, good luck to them all!

#133 Posted by GaspoweR (4095 posts) -

Oh Activision. I hope your business model will come and bite you in the ass.

#134 Posted by paulunga (2324 posts) -

It really sucks to see them go thanks to the underwhelming sales of Blur and lack of polish on yet another Bond game. Here's hoping they'll be reborn as some new studio.

#135 Posted by theswoosh (164 posts) -

wHY OH WHY OH DID YOU GO TO aCTIVISON! pgr WAS IN A CLASS OF ITS OWN. tHEY HAD SO MUCH MORE TO GIVE XBOX PLAYERS BUT INSTEAD WENT TO aCTIVISION AND WERE PUT ON GAMES TO APPEAL TO THE MASSES AND ALL THE PASSION WAS LOST FROM THEIR GAMES.

yEAH I HAD CAPSLOCKS ON BUT I'M TOO UPSET TO CARE

#136 Posted by guiseppe (2843 posts) -

What? Noooo!

#137 Posted by Xsnipd (114 posts) -

2/18/2011  

A Date which will live out in infamy . A Date in which our biggest threat, Activision killed a developer that was good. A date to say "F**k you Activision, F**k you to killing Bizzare Creations!". PGR, Geometry Wars, and Blur are gone but not forgotten. You have killed on of my favorite developer. After Black Ops, I will not buy another activison game again until the day Bobby Kotick dies of old age. 

#138 Posted by detectivepbert (273 posts) -

they'll all get new jobs at other studios if they want them, but still sucks

#139 Posted by bchen42 (12 posts) -

sad day. =(

on another note, anyone know the name of the song playing in the video? i thought it was a really moving piece.

#140 Posted by DuskVamp (720 posts) -

Good luck to the guys and girls that lost their jobs. But they're all obviously talented so fingers crossed it won't be too long for them

#141 Posted by OmegaPirate (5642 posts) -

Good luck out there buddies - you're gonna need it =( 

Heres hoping they get to form something new or the talent gets spread out to other companies - would much rather these guys got to keep making their craft 

#142 Posted by Jimbo7676 (766 posts) -

Fucking Activision.

#143 Posted by Aus_azn (2272 posts) -

Peace Bizarre, you will be missed.

Again, a big f-u to Activision for canning another brilliant developer.

#144 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6652 posts) -

There are few developers who understood the pursuit of the perfect score/time as well as Bizarre. 

Another perfectly competent team down the drain.

#145 Posted by zombie_bigdaddy (140 posts) -

FUCK YOU Activision ! Thanks to you we see another great developer die bacuse they cant sell as much as Call of Duty even if they make more unique games than cod.
R.I.P Bizarre Creations  D:

#146 Posted by Mercanis (931 posts) -

Thank you for the dignified goodbye, Bizarre.

#147 Posted by Richlough (17 posts) -

blur was phenominal .

I loved a majority of their games , I even bought PGR3 before the 360 launched .

What a waste . :(

#148 Posted by Nux (2544 posts) -

R.I.P BC
#149 Posted by MisfitToy (144 posts) -

Beautiful song to go with the montage.

#150 Posted by chem (171 posts) -

RIP Bizarre, it was a great run. I hope from the bottom of my heart that each and every developer from bizarre finds a new job, a dream job and soon. Bizarre has achieved things other developers only aspire to and they deserve better. Good luck devs and God speed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.