Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Borderlands

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

Borderlands is a first-person shooter RPG from Gearbox Software that puts players into the shoes of one of four playable characters as they traverse the hostile planet of Pandora in search of a mysterious "Vault," said to contain priceless unknown riches and alien technologies.

Steam Release for Borderlands confirmed + extra features on PC

• 75 results
    Valco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Valco

to be honest the only reason im gonna buy it steam is so i can alt tab chat and steam friends can jump in. even so, as its an rpg with all that unique loot, i may not buy it on steam in case my account gets jacked
    ElectricSlime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By ElectricSlime

Just got a steam update! Pre-Order now and save 10%! Release confirmed to be October 26.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Jimbo said:
    " Exclusive features such as benchmarking tools and a HUD designed for the platform it's on!?!?  SOLD! "
    the only exclusive thing was that you could export a jpg of the weapon you have, but that's nothing to boast about lol
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#54  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Lemmingzx said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " Exclusive features such as benchmarking tools and a HUD designed for the platform it's on!?!?  SOLD! "
    Well they don't sound all that appealing "
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    the only exclusive thing was that you could export a jpg of the weapon you have, but that's nothing to boast about lol "
    He later referred to those features as a "joke". His excitement over the game having those features was sarcasm, and he doesn't think they're all that great.
    ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Can anyone clarify this for me, is the new interface only on the steam one, because I've already pre-ordered and this I don't want to miss out.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @ajamafalous: what are you like six all pc games look better unless you got a MX440 for your graphics card .
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By NoXious

Noooooooo, and my motherboard just died! Fudge.

Anyway -the fact a "PC feature" is a special UI is just plain sad because that's how it is. Just look at Mass Effect, worst inventory ever for a PC game.
    Folk whining about better graphics on the PC need to get real and realize that's only because the engine they are using is >too< good for a console which is lagging behind on hardware level atm compared to PC's.

djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#58  Edited By djstyles92
    @ajamafalous said:
    " You're telling me the PC version will look better than the consoles? Since when? "
    sarcasm?
    TJSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By TJSmash
    @ShaunassNZ said:
    " Can anyone clarify this for me, is the new interface only on the steam one, because I've already pre-ordered and this I don't want to miss out. "
    The Steam version is the PC version, you are just downloading it instead of buying the discs.  They are one and the same.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Diamond
    @NoXious said:

Folk whining about better graphics on the PC need to get real and realize that's only because the engine they are using is >too< good for a console which is lagging behind on hardware level atm compared to PC's

Not really, you could do way better graphics on 360 or PS3.  I think that's the main problem people have with it.  They're investing extra graphical efforts into the PC version when they could be pumping up the console graphics.
    rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By rateoforange

Diamond, could you back up that assertion? It seems pretty cut and dry to me. Modern cutting edge gaming pcs are much, much more powerful than consoles, so the version you release to them is going to be better. This isn't 2006 anymore--the parts in my current gaming PC were all manufactured in the last 6 months.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Damian

Buying this for PC isn't even an option for me, and I could care less about any of the advantages PC gamers are gonna get on this game. But I understand the disappointment about the console graphics vs. PC. It's not like console gamers are drooling over the visuals in Borderlands as it stands, so seeing a graphical boost on PC seems a little unfair. 
    A PC version being graphically superior is no surprise. But the console version of Borderlands doesn't seem to be pushing any console limits, so the excuses for prettier PC are harder to accept.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Diamond
    @rateoforange said:

" Diamond, could you back up that assertion? It seems pretty cut and dry to me. Modern cutting edge gaming pcs are much, much more powerful than consoles, so the version you release to them is going to be better. This isn't 2006 anymore--the parts in my current gaming PC were all manufactured in the last 6 months. "

Because Borderlands is not a great looking game, the 360 and PS3 could do a lot better than the graphics they are getting with Borderlands.  Power (edit - I should clarify, the power difference between a PC and 360/PS3, if you go as low end as a Wii or very old PC the differences are quick large in many respects) only brings better graphics and rarely better AI or physics either.  My PC is better than a 360 or PS3 too, but Gearbox isn't really putting the effort into the PS3 or 360.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#64  Edited By ajamafalous
    @djstyles92 said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    " You're telling me the PC version will look better than the consoles? Since when? "
    sarcasm? "
    I thought it was fairly obvious.

@ShaunassNZ said:
    " @ajamafalous: what are you like six all pc games look better unless you got a MX440 for your graphics card . "

Apparently it wasn't.
    djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By djstyles92
    @ajamafalous: i was just making sure, cause i know people who think console games look better than pc games
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#66  Edited By AgentJ

That sounds great. UNfortunately there's no way my computer would manage to handle Borderlands

hpv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By hpv
    @Jimbo:  Exactly.  The only cool feature that is Windows-exclusive is the saving weapon cards as JPG or whatever, which should at the very least be on PS3 where several games have image saving capabilities (and maybe 360, but I haven't seen of any).  I don't see how the rest of the exclusive features (like better graphics) could possibly be seen as "punishing" anyone, what were they going to do, magically make the consoles more powerful, right?  And it's not like the console versions look bad.  The 360 demo at PAX looked great and was running incredibly smoothly.

@MrKlorox: So you'd want them to support mouse and keyboard for the menus so you can put down the controller whenever you use the menu?  I'd have liked to see mouse and keyboard support, though who would really use it?  I've got a dedicated bluetooth keyboard for my PS3 and plenty of spare mice lying around and I've never even bothered to try UT3 with them.  Can't imagine it'd really be worth the effort for Gearbox to implement two menu setups (not to mention testing) and having either the gamepad or mouse/kb menu and forcing the other to use it would just be a mess.

For what it's worth the menus seemed really easy to use in the PAX demo on 360.  They're crammed full of stuff but for having to display all that stuff it's pretty damn smooth, and the way you can slide the menu left and right in splitscreen instead of having a shrunk down menu with missing functionality or tiny, tiny text is really nice.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Bubahula said:

" @MrKlorox said:

" @Crixaliz said:
    " @natetodamax: I'm totally with you on this, games like Borderlands, Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress. I completely end up skipping on because of the awkward way they deal with consoles. "
    You mean the "thumbstick"? I agree. FPS do feel very awkward with a thumbstick. Hopefully future motion controls will fix this issue, but the current ones don't seem up to the task. "
    i hope thats sarcasm, "
    Partially. The fact is that FPS feel best with a pointing device, which a thumbstick is not. The horribly generic buzzterm "motion controls" that unimaginative gaming outlets and publishers are throwing around refers to a variety of technologies with a multitude of applications. Eventually controllers will be aimable via the wrist (much like the Wiimote) but have all the buttons and sticks and triggers our thumbs and fingers have grown accustomed to.

@hpv said:

" @MrKlorox: So you'd want them to support mouse and keyboard for the menus so you can put down the controller whenever you use the menu? "

No, my statement was sarcasm in relation to natetodamax's comment about console users getting punished for not having the bullshit "extra features" that should be in every multiplatform game with a PC port.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By bacongames

Why are people taking a top-down approach to why the PC version will look better?

It's not hard to figure out when Gearbox has primarily been a PC-game developer and PC's are easier to develop for.  Naturally the console versions would be inferior when they aren't as familiar with console dev-kits like other developers who can really maximize the consoles' potential.

That and there is variability of graphical quality based on the quality of the PC and this has been the thing about PC gaming since its inception.  The quality is locked on the console because the hardware doesn't change.

Basically the PC version is superior because it can be.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ShaunassNZ
    @TJSmash:
    Yes I know that but I was just confused by the title as yes steam does get exclusive stuff when buy from them.
    Anubis_Dragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71  Edited By Anubis_Dragoon

Steam FTW!  I almost got Borderlands for 360, but with the stuff Giant Bomb has been saying about the performance being so much better on the pc, I'm sold on Borderlands on Steam.

Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By Slayer

any chance the retail pc version will work with steam? any steam works functionality?

Avatar image for birthdaysuitburns
    BirthdaySuitBurns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get why some of you console only gamers are complaining now.  It's pretty much been almost always the case this gen in which the PC version of multiplatform games is graphically superior to its console counterpart.  Fact of the matter is the 360 has the same architecture as a gaming PC so that by building a 360 version, you pretty much already have a PC version of the game.  It's why Valve puts its games on the 360 in the first place.  They don't have to build anything from the ground up for the 360.   

Don't think of it as the game will look like shit b/c they put more resources into the PC version.  But rather, the game will look good on consoles but will look great on PC b/c it takes advantage of the hardware.   That and you guys get it 6 days in advance.  And this looks like a trend that all big publishers are looking to do now...

matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By matt

Seriously cant wait for this game

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#75  Edited By mikemcn
    @Hamz said:
    " @natetodamax: Because the platform allows for progress in the field of games development due to new hardware where as consoles are limited to their lifespan. "

@natetodamax said:
    "I'm still ticked off that the PC version will be better than the console versions. Sure, punish those who aren't willing to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on getting a good gaming PC and upgrading it when necessary. "

So your saying they shouldn't improve a game to fit the platform its on because console owners will be jealous? They cannot do things like this on a console because it cannot handle it or does not need it. If they could do it on a console, they would, they just want their game to be as good as they can make it, regardless of platform, whats wrong with that? 

Also, check out what Hamz said.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.