Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty

Franchise »

Originally starting as a World War II-themed first-person shooter, the Call of Duty franchise now incorporates other time periods and conflicts and can be found on virtually every modern platform.

Will There Be A Call Of Duty MMO?

• 128 results
    deadmonkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By deadmonkeys
    @Eribuster said:
    " Kotick wants a World of Duty. Make me wonder who would bite. "
    All those people buying map-packs at $15 a piece.
    sp1der1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By sp1der1976

Bobby Fuck-face's greed is truly breathtaking.  

He's just presided over the biggest "entrainment launch in history" that has grossed BILLIONS of dollar's.  He has personally profited from this by selling his Activison shares on the back of this success to the tune of 12 MILLION Dollars. 

All he can talk about is making even more money.  What he's basicly saying here is Microsoft is getting a big uplift in subscriptions from people playing our game and I want a peace of that.  If Microsoft wont cut me a piece of the money pie then I'll start my own bakery! 

He's also saying, "hey gamers I think you are mugs". You pay $ 60.00 a pop to play our game (£45.00 over here in the UK which works out at 67.40 USD!) and that is all you pay (baring DLC).  I'm not happy with that. I want to make you pay more. I want to make you pay me by the month to carry on paying for my game and if I could get away with it I'd make you pay BY THE HOUR! 

This man is a cold hearted bastard. I truly feel sorry for this man and pray that one day God will open his soul up to something other than money so hey may see there is more to life than pure profit.   

For now the only thing I can say about the man is something I rarely ever ever say.   

That man is a C@^t.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By bacongames

His job is not to care about video games.  His job is to care how the company makes money and his one source of that is any idea he can pull out of his ass to change the revenue streams Activision sees every year.

Any backlash against Kotick comes from people who simply don't understand who Kotick is and what he does there.  He isn't forcing anything on anybody (well except his employees because that's business management) and so we as gamers have nothing to worry about. 

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#54  Edited By Bollard

Three words: 

Worst. Idea. Ever.

KillerBears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By KillerBears
    @crusader8463 said:
    " The only shooter I want to see made into an MMO is Left 4 Dead. Just thinking about playing a l4d where I get to customize my survivor, upgrade skills and stat's via an RPG leveling up system (think Borderlands only more complex and in a fun game), while constantly trying to survive a giant open world city. That is my dream MMO.   God I wish Valve would make that. I would literally give Gabe Newel my left nut for that game to get made. Why he would want my left nut I do not know. But if it got me that game made and a free life time subscription to it(It is my left nut after all) I would ask where the chopping block is because I'm ready. "
    Probably to eat. 

*highfives* 

But yeah, this is a really good idea.
    ip007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By ip007
    @BradNicholson: This Call of Duty madness must end. It has gone way too far. Is money and greed really that blinding? No thought about self-preservation?

1. There won't be any new consoles unless Activision wants to get burned by Microsoft/Sony.
    2. There won't be any MMOs on the Xbox 360.
    3. Where is the demand for such a service from the fans? Who is stupid enough to even mention Call of Duty and MMO in the same sentence?

I remember Vinny joking about EA being a sinking ship on one of the Bombcasts, well I hope that Activision will get sunken real soon or at least can someone see to it that Kotick (which, by the way, sounds like the Russian word for pussy cat) is let go.
    DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By DukesT3
    @Jeust said:
    " Bobby Kotick is the best! Numero uno! "

Viva Kotick!!!!!

Persecution89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Persecution89
    @ChineseTea said:
    "You know what, every Kotick interview would be exactly the same even if, instead of answering questions, he'd just sing the theme song to the Apprentice every time. "

lmao..  "Money, Money, Money.. MONEY!"  did i get it?
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By Jackel2072

i say the next MW will have some form of pay to play service attached to it. i think MMO is the wrong choice of words. its not going to be world of call of duty, its going to be the same multiplayer shooter we are all playing now, the only difference is you will be paying 10 to 15 bucks a month for it. and you know what? people will pay for it. sure maybe it wont be super popular like MW2 is now, but people out there will shell out the bucks to play it online. it will be the first step in a much larger venture. if its sucessful. you can bet your sweet ass other companys will follow suit.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By RobertOrri
    @Jackel2072 said:
    " i say the next MW will have some form of pay to play service attached to it. i think MMO is the wrong choice of words. its not going to be world of call of duty, its going to be the same multiplayer shooter we are all playing now, the only difference is you will be paying 10 to 15 bucks a month for it. and you know what? people will pay for it. sure maybe it wont be super popular like MW2 is now, but people out there will shell out the bucks to play it online. it will be the first step in a much larger venture. if its sucessful. you can bet your sweet ass other companys will follow suit. "
    Yes, this will definitely happen. People have already been eat up the expensive map packs, so Actizzard knows there's demand.
    qlum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By qlum

I will never pay a monthly fee just to play online, this will not change my mind especially since I never liked CoD from 4 and onward in the first place 1/2 where good (I haven't played 3 since it wasn't on pc and the wii version didn't have online.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Rockdalf

Oh yeah, this will go over well. 

Lesee, X360 will not have anyone making an extra buck on their turf, proof by SE's attempt at another MMO on their console.

PS3 users are used to not having to pay for online service capabilities, the only one's who do, probably are too busy playing the games in which they pay for NOT CoD.

And we already know about how pissed the PC gamers are at Kotick.

So who the fuck is going to subscribe to this again?

Lethkhar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By Lethkhar

You don't get anything? We buy your fucking games, asshole. 

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I have to wonder if Activision's board of investors know full well that Activision's current profitability is not sustainable. Barring another Guitar Hero, Call of Duty, or World of Warcraft-level of franchise emerging, they are going nowhere but down in the next few years. Sure they'll always be profitable, but the amount of money they saw in 2007-2009 is never going to be matched unless they get some NEW franchises. World of Warcraft is at record low subscription rates, no one plays Hero games anymore, and there are multiple other franchises cutting into CoD's player base these days, and they don't even have their lead devs anymore. They will have no trouble turning big profits for the foreseeable future, but I just don't see where their next mega-franchise is going to emerge from while they milk all their other ones dry.

captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66  Edited By captainfish

Call of Duty:Massive Warfare

mrcellophane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By mrcellophane
    @InfamousBIG said:
    " *In bad Assassin's Creed Italian accent* "Money, money!" "
    I lol'd so hard
    wsowen02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By wsowen02
    @SkullcrusherMountain said:
    "I totally want to pay $15 a month to have my sexuality and my mother's sexual history brought into question by 9-year-olds after they shoot me in the back from across the map.  That sounds like a blast, Activision.  Where can I sign up? "

This made me laugh
    Det1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Det1
    @Rolyatkcinmai: Like, say, a starcraft 2?
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#70  Edited By mrhankey
    @ip007: 
    Sorry 'bout trolling...but Kotick = Cat in Russian
     (phonetics)
    Ko-Tick does not equal Ko-sh-ka
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bobby Kotick is the epitome of the greedy asshole CEO. He must spend every day in his office thinking "How can I make even MORE money off of video games?" He's like George Lucas, fuck the fans, bring in the cash.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Donos

A subscription-based Call of Duty sounds pretty good to me. Think about it, thye multiplayer is popular because of :

1) Shooting Mechanics
    2) Character progression

Shooting mechanics work regardless of the payment system, and character progression stands to be significantly improved by a subscription. Constant income means developers can reasonably implement a constant stream of free content, vastly extending and improving character progression.

TL,DR: A subscription CoD is probably a better game than a one-and-done CoD.

P.S. Would everyone quit hating on Bobby Kotick for a couple seconds and THINK? He's the CEO of a company, it's his job to make good business decisions like this one.  If you don't want an MMO, just don't buy it. It's not evil, anti-consumer, or in any way bad to offer a product for sale.

Seriously, the verbal diarrhea pouring fourth from the community is embarassing.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#73  Edited By Jeust
    @LooseChange said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " Bobby Kotick is the best! Numero uno! "

Viva Kotick!!!!!

"
    Hip hip Horaaaaay!!!! Hip hip horaaaaaay!!!!!
    immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74  Edited By immike

Pay even more money for Call of Duty!? SIGN ME THE EFF UP! Thanks Kotick, you are my hero! 

chmod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By chmod

I LOVE YOU, BOBBY KOTICK!!

DiegoBitterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By DiegoBitterman
    @Donos said:

" A subscription-based Call of Duty sounds pretty good to me. Think about it, thye multiplayer is popular because of :  1) Shooting Mechanics2) Character progression  Shooting mechanics work regardless of the payment system, and character progression stands to be significantly improved by a subscription. Constant income means developers can reasonably implement a constant stream of free content, vastly extending and improving character progression.  TL,DR: A subscription CoD is probably a better game than a one-and-done CoD.  P.S. Would everyone quit hating on Bobby Kotick for a couple seconds and THINK? He's the CEO of a company, it's his job to make good business decisions like this one.  If you don't want an MMO, just don't buy it. It's not evil, anti-consumer, or in any way bad to offer a product for sale. Seriously, the verbal diarrhea pouring fourth from the community is embarassing. "

Yes good business decisions like this hilarious speculative topic he is talking about. Your right about  the "Just don' buy it theory", because whenever one of my favourite games decides to shake  me down monthly as part of a new direction of   racketeering , I just stand aside and let myself be isolated from the evolving genre while the rich and ignorant who spell the most common definite article with a Y can play it during RnR hours of the war they cannot remember being conscripted in. Do remember to buy a new bib to catch the dribble from the corporate cock your sucking.
    jlev880

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77  Edited By jlev880

Monthly fee = more fun?
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Lemoncookie01

This guy really hates gamers.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SumDeus

If it plays like CoD4 I'm down...

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By TwilitEnd656

He can keep his idea of "compelling experience." MMO? Aside from making something much like MAG, I can't really see a CoD MMO outside the idea of: take the regular Call of Duty online formula and slap on a subscription fee."

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By FlipperDesert

How do you imagine Bobby Kotick does business meetings? I imagine he sits on an ivory throne wearing a crimson cape and top hat while drinking blood from a human skull.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By korwin
    @Donos:  You do realize that content supplied via subscription isn't any more free than paying $15 for a hand full of maps right?
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By MikkaQ

I'd like to know where they get that 60% figure. Probably Kotick's ass. I'll buy that 60% of  xbox live users have COD played on their profiles, but I seriously doubt that's the main reason over half the service signed up. Plus, you can't really... track or quantify that kindof stuff. It's just all guessing. 

Also yeah, allow me to mirror people's thoughts in saying that paying monthly to play a game where people will cheat openly and blatantly while calling you a faggot is a really bad idea for a game. Also the only way they could get away for something like this is either on a PC or maybe the PS3. But PS3 users would probably wonder why they'd pay for COD monthly when you can just buy SOCOM (I guess 4 would be out at this point), or y'know older COD games once and never pay again. Xbox users won't pay twice. Either activision gets their own platform... or this'll be done in the next generation, and by then I'll have probably outgrown that kind of game anyway.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Rockdalf

This has failure written all over it.

WholeFunShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#85  Edited By WholeFunShow

If I was to play a COD MMO, I'd play as a human soldier with some kind of gun.

ip007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ip007
    @mrhankey said:
    " @ip007:  Sorry 'bout trolling...but Kotick = Cat in Russian  (phonetics) Ko-Tick does not equal Ko-sh-ka "
    No need to be sorry, although, for a moment there I was like "right, the gloves are off!" Then I noticed your error.. 

First off, don't bring phonetics into the mix when you are, if I am not terribly mistaken, clearly not Russian nor a person who seems to know Russian. If you could speak the Russian language then you would definitely know that, to put it like you, Koshka is the "female cat" and Kot is the "male cat". Depending on the situation, you use one or the other. In this case we are dealing with a son of a bitch which naturally means that we really ought to use the Kot word, no objection there. Now, to be even more condescending to this so-called businessman, I figured why not use the diminutive form (which surely must compliment well the minuscule size of his testicles) of the word Kot which, ironically, is in fact the word Kot with the suffix ik. Kot + ik = Kotik (math can be fun sometimes). The point was that the maggot's name (Kotick) resembled the actual, proper word Kotik.

Secondly, I didn't actually say cat. I said "pussycat" which I thought covered this pretty well, seems I was mistaken. You see, a direct translation of the word Kotik is pussy but I didn't want to be too informal (something, as you might have noticed, I have completely ignored in this post - see what you made me do) so I used the word pussycat to further clarify what I was implying. I thought a word like pussycat was bound to give you the mental picture of a cute and small cat (a Kotik if you will), boy was I wrong it seems. 

Lastly, this whole ordeal makes me think of "never start a fight you cannot win", but that is too harsh. Though, knowing who you are dealing with is appropriate here. Me, being Ukrainian and knowing the Russian language does give me, how would you put it, a LOT of insight in this kind of matter. 

FYI, I don't even like cats..
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By DoctorWelch

Oooooooohhhhh, now I get the reason behind all of Activisions craziness. Bobby Kotick is actually mentally handicap, but they dont really need to have someone retarded running their company. I mean, I can say things that are just as stupid as "60% of xbox live users subscribe only because of call of duty" and I'm not even retarded. Here, let me give it a try: "........................................". Wait, I was wrong, there isnt any possible way I can come up with anything as retarded as that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
    deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Donos said:
    " A subscription-based Call of Duty sounds pretty good to me. Think about it, thye multiplayer is popular because of :  1) Shooting Mechanics2) Character progression  Shooting mechanics work regardless of the payment system, and character progression stands to be significantly improved by a subscription. Constant income means developers can reasonably implement a constant stream of free content, vastly extending and improving character progression.  TL,DR: A subscription CoD is probably a better game than a one-and-done CoD.  P.S. Would everyone quit hating on Bobby Kotick for a couple seconds and THINK? He's the CEO of a company, it's his job to make good business decisions like this one.  If you don't want an MMO, just don't buy it. It's not evil, anti-consumer, or in any way bad to offer a product for sale. Seriously, the verbal diarrhea pouring fourth from the community is embarassing. "
    either you are trolling or just a stupid fanboy.

i seriously hope you are trolling...
    omegadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By omegadude

if they could do it correctly no cutting corners but how would it be done would it be like a huge hub world and queuing up for matches or would it be like open world war conquest style with factions and what not idk it could work

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By sopranosfan

I am done with Activision.  I hate everything about Kotick and if he made great games this would be a tough decision but in all honesty there are several shooters better than COD and Rock Band is a lot better than Guitar Hero.  And the developers that I would be giving my money to would have to appreciate it more than Kotick does.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#91  Edited By natetodamax

So the only reason there would ever be a Call Of Duty MMO is so Activision gets money? If so, it will be terrible.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By meteora

The idea sounds pretty retarded 

Then again, I wouldn't need to pay for a new COD game every year. 

But then again, Kotick can suck my balls.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Donos

Let's see how much more hate I can garner by trying to argue a point...

@Jethuty:   I like to think I'm none of the above. I've yet to see anyone apply an ounce of logic trying to explain why a subscription based CoD must be bad, and why good business practices make Bobby Kotick evil. If you would like to try and argue either of these points rather than just flaming me, you're perfectly welcome to.

@Korwin: I suppose "free" is the wrong term to use, but I think you understand my meaning. A $10-$15 subscription for a constant stream of new maps, modes, and progression content (more levels, guns, perks) sounds pretty good to me, and more appealing than just buying a couple of $15 map packs.

@DiegoBittermen: Yes, a good business decision to pursue a subscription-based business model. I'm actually not sure what you're trying to argue here. As I said, if you don't want this game, you don't have to buy it. If you feel that this game is a key part of an evolving genre that you cannot bear to miss out on, then obviously you do want it. Or you could just be trolling, but I don't feel that blindly insulting people is condusive to an informative and meaningful debate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5be238a166762
    deactivated-5be238a166762

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please no.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#95  Edited By Claude

MMOs suck, last time I checked only one was still doing great. Many have tried but hit a wall of Warcraft. Bless them, keep trying developers, but you can count me out.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Skytylz
    @Eribuster said:
    " Kotick wants a World of Duty. Make me wonder who would bite. "
    To bad they already used World at War, that would be a good name for an MMO.
    JoshLarson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By JoshLarson

I can't stand Kotick but I wouldn't mind seeing a COD MMO since it would certainly siphon off the racist dregs of the internet gaming scene and keep most other games safe from the depravity of those degenerates who mindlessly pay $15 for reused map packs. Keep them addicted to COD and all other online games won't have to suffer from these preteen twats.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#98  Edited By Crono

Call of Duty:  The MMO.  The first MMO to be based on p2p connections!  XD

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By mazik765

Everything this guy says just further convinces me he knows nothing about the way video games actually work.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

Kotick is the biggest corporate POS Assclown to ever exist IMO.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.