Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

After a zombie virus sweeps across a beautiful island resort, survivors must fight their way to freedom while trying to find out exactly what went down in this open-world first-person action game.

Edge gives Dead Island 3/10

• 120 results
    Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Heltom92

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/317905/dead-island-review-3/10-in-edge/

It seems that Edge really did not like this game one bit. Complaints include the high number of bugs, the lack of original ideas and a poor melee system.

Now Edge are known for being unforgiving and harsh with their scores, but I was wondering if anyone here agrees with them (I'm guessing not). I've only played a couple of hours so far but the game really doesn't seem to be a 3/10.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

You should've posted this here.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Heltom92
    @Icemael said:
    You should've posted this here.
    Yea I thought about that but I wanted to see what people thought of this specific review.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By alistercat  Online

"Game doesn't seem to be arbitrary number"? Odd. They just didn't like it, is a more succinct way to put it. So the editors of Edge and you have to fight to the death.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

The job of a reviewer is to review a game objectively, someone can not like a game but still see its strengths and praise them. That's why Jeff is da man! The Giantbomb crew are about the only reviewers i trust nowadays.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By JCTango

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

The job of a reviewer is to review a game objectively, someone can not like a game but still see its strengths and praise them. That's why Jeff is da man! The Giantbomb crew are about the only reviewers i trust nowadays.

I'm not really sure you can totally review a game objectively - but I do read a multitude of reviews before I try/buy a game.

On that note, I appreciate a review more if they're able to provide the Pros and Cons for a game. Focusing on just one of those makes it too biased, even if having very little in either column is a possibility.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@TheDudeOfGaming: Nope, it's not. You review a game after your own experience. Jeff reviews games subjectively, as do all reviewers.

Edge is usually appropiately harsh (one of the very few), but I can't say I agree with all of their complaints. I think the game is mostly an unpolished piece of shit, but the melee system is fucking genius. I love that. The only thing that keeps me playing.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @JCTango: Yeah but you try to review it as objectively as possible. Edge gave Dead Island a 3/10, a game that has been getting, in average, 7/10 or 8/10. I wouldn't really trust Edge on this one.
    @Ertard: Oh really? Well, i hate Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2, but I'd still give those games a 9/10 and 8/10 respectively. Of course I'm strictly amateur, but I'm sure there are a lot of professional reviewers out there who didn't like them and still gave them a good score. Perfect example, Invisible War, i got it because it had Deus Ex in it and because Gamespot gave it an 8/10, after i played through it, it became one of my most hated games of all time, as well as the worst sequel. But if i was to review it, I'd say, as long as you don't expect Deus Ex 2, you can still have a lot of fun with this game and I'd give it a score of maybe 6 or 7/10. 
    I guess what I'm trying to say is, as a reviewer you CAN give a game a 2/10 or 3/10 because you didn't like it, but that game might still be good to the general gaming community? Why? Because opinions man, how do they fucking work? Nice talking to ya.
    JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JCTango

@TheDudeOfGaming: Yeah it does sound like they focussed too much on the bugs that they experienced. I don't have the game yet, but from the stuff I'm hearing, it seems like a decent game for what it is, despite the glitches.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By TwoLines

The game is horribly broken. So I'm not very suprised.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

I like Giantbomb's reviews because they don't pretend to be anything but their opinions. Did MK vs DC deserve 4/5 stars? Hell no, but if you're a big fighting game/MK fan? Maybe.

Edge's reviews are always 100% objective, which is why they're always so harsh. The rate a game based on the story, gameplay mechanics and technical issues.. Which is why Dead Island scored so low. It's an enjoyable game that's broken to the point of being nearly unplayable.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vodun

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

To my mind, an in-depth critique of something might strive for some form of objectivity whereas a review is a pure expression of opinion. You just need to learn how to relate to their opinions. I would also say that there is no way to judge a piece of entertainment objectively, for games you can judge the technical qualities of the graphics and amount of bugs, but anything else is a matter of pure opinion.

For me, the fact that they consider the melee to be poor means I will pay no attention to the review. I feel the exact opposite; that this game has the best melee fighting of any first person game I've ever played. Difference of opinion, it's a mother fucker.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By valrog

I wonder what score they gave to Fallout 3 and New Vegas, since they too had an enormous amount of bugs.

Edit: 7/10 and 6/10. That's what I though. Double standards.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @WinterSnowblind

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

I like Giantbomb's reviews because they don't pretend to be anything but their opinions. Did MK vs DC deserve 4/5 stars? Hell no, but if you're a big fighting game/MK fan? Maybe.

Edge's reviews are always 100% objective, which is why they're always so harsh. The rate a game based on the story, gameplay mechanics and technical issues.. Which is why Dead Island scored so low. It's an enjoyable game that's broken to the point of being nearly unplayable.

Broken to the point until nearly being unplayable? Really? I've played a couple of hours on PC and haven't noticed that many bugs.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Marz

They seem to focus on the technicalities more so than any other review I've read on this game.   It's not an invalid argument either, the game had a very botched launch, especially on PC(they reviewed the xbox version so consider this point invalid i guess), and it is full of jankyness from stuff I've seen in gameplay videos.   The score does seem exaggerated, or the guy just didn't like it at all ( which it looks like, since he doesn't like the melee combat, which is a big part of the game).

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zaglis

''Please visit our website :( "

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By samfo

obligatory - REVIEWS ARE OPINION

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Wait a minute, weren't you guys arguing that GB reviews are merely the opinion of the reviewer and not at all objective? Oh, I forgot, that only applies to reviews that don't say what you want to hear.
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By nintendoeats

Oh yeah? Well here is my review of The Edge: ppppppppppppppppppphhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!

Fuck you and your fucking Joshua Tree.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EVO

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

i hate Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2, but I'd still give those games a 9/10 and 8/10 respectively.

Huh? So what would you give a game you love? 11/10?

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By CrimsonNoir

I would give the game a at least a 7, I've been having fun and it's exceeded my expectations. Yeah, it does have an amount of jankiness with the bugs, but they've since patched the important one which was online play. I haven't lost my save yet, so maybe I'll feel different, but the game is fun and actually looks pretty decent (it has it's highs and lows which balance each other out).

I didn't really have much issue with what the article summed up about the Edge review, like the respawning items. True, I was surprised by that fact, but for the most part you're deaths and weapon repairs balance out relootable items because they're costly and you only find a certain amount of money at a time. Most of the stuff you find you can't use yet because you don't have the mod for it and if your farming respawning loot you're playing it wrong because going through the missions and areas normally is good enough.

As for the story and original ideas, it's no worse than Borderlands and I would probably argue felt more appropriate than the missions found in Borderlands. Borderlands had the humor though, I give it that. As for the melee combat, I found it satisfying and competent to any other first person melee combat. Sure the walkers take no real strategy, but fighting Thugs is pretty satisfying breaking their arms and dodging attacks.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Rekt_Hed
    @atomic_dumpling
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:

Wait a minute, weren't you guys arguing that GB reviews are merely the opinion of the reviewer and not at all objective? Oh, I forgot, that only applies to reviews that don't say what you want to hear.
    LuLz! You sir are worthy of a free steak sandwich.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Slaker117

People don't seem to understand that objectivity and opinion can coexist in the same review. A good reviewer should be able to accurately breakdown what a game is in objective terms, and then give their subjective view on whether or not those parts come together to make an enjoyable experience. Being able to acknowledge strengths and weaknesses despite overall feelings on a game is an important part of professionalism.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Binman88

@TheDudeOfGaming: I know people have already said it, but I'm gonna say it again. None of the GiantBomb reviews are objective in the slightest. They are all opinion pieces, and very often their scores are swayed in a positive or negative direction depending on the personal opinions/emotions of the reviewers.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By Addfwyn

As I always say, the point of reviews in most media (for me) is finding a reviewer that shares similar tastes to yours, because different people will always see a movie/game/book differently. I, for example, disagree with Jeff on probably 80% of his reviews, I don't think he is a bad reviewer. There may be a lot of readers of that fellow's reviews who would agree that, for them, the game is a 3/10. In which case, he is doing a service to those who share his taste in games.

Find a reviewer, in whatever media it may be, that generally has similar tastes to yours, and give their reviews more weight. I don't concern myself with Jeff's reviews because I already KNOW that I don't have the same taste in games. Instead I find reviewers who more closely share my tastes, and pay more attention to them. Even then, I don't let their opinion dictate mine, it's just a nice starting ground.

Avatar image for theblindchessman
    TheBlindChessman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheBlindChessman

I am constantly amazed by how seriously people on gaming forums take review scores.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ikwal

Sounds about right to me. People seem to give games a break just because they have a huge environment, nice to see that someone doesn't fall for that.

And for those who are confused, game reviews are not ment to be objective.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mfpantst

Isn't edge the gamestop publication?  If so, there's an irony there.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JoeyRavn

@NekuSakuraba said:

Broken to the point until nearly being unplayable? Really? I've played a couple of hours on PC and haven't noticed that many bugs.

You =/= the rest of the world. Don't assume that because you didn't have problems after playing "a couple of hours", the game isn't so ful of bugs it's nearly broken for many, many people.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mordukai

@TheDudeOfGaming: The only difference between you and a "professional" reviewer is the paycheck they get for it. I don't think it's possible to review any piece of work and not be subjective about it. Reviews by nature are the person's own personal opinions therefor it's subjective.

Also, I wouldn't put my trust in jeff, or any of the GB crew for that matter. While I respect him very much Jeff is very well known for his "I dislike it therefor it's shit" attitude for games he didn't even play or played so little of. Look at his attitude towards Demon's Souls. While I am not going to say the game is perfect and it has it's faults like any other game but to outright come out and say that the game is crap is just wrong.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @JoeyRavn

@NekuSakuraba said:

You =/= the rest of the world. Don't assume that because you didn't have problems after playing "a couple of hours", the game isn't so ful of bugs it's nearly broken for many, many people.

So tell me, what determines whether or not the game is buggy for someone?
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mordukai

@mfpantst said:

Isn't edge the gamestop publication? If so, there's an irony there.

You're confusing Edge with Game Informer.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By project343

I've never agreed with Edge. I'd give Dead Island a 9/10 if I could review it.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Catarrhal

@nintendoeats said:

Fuck you and your fucking Joshua Tree.

Henry Rollins, is that you?

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mfpantst
    @Mordukai: Ok your comment brings up an interesting question I have.  Some other publications seem to have (aor it seems people think they have) an automatic positive bias towards 'big marketing budget AAA' games.  So a game like Dead Island might be capped at 70-80% regardless of how good it is or not, where a game like fallout or CoD or Battlefield or an Elder Scrolls game might be 'uncapped' (IE could get a perfect score).  I tend to think of those places as subjectively willing to overlook bugs in a 'big marketing' game, but not so in a small marketing, sub-AAA game (like Dead Island).  Which makes Brad's review interesting in that he didn't really seem to handicap his score for the bugs as much as the 'positive towards big marketing' publications do.  Which is further of interest to me as I agree with your observation of Jeff as the cynic in the group.  So I sorta see GB as a place with the whole spectrum of reviewers, which I kinda see as good.  Idk.  Have you thought about this?

Also, I've grown away from caring about the score and caring more about the content of the review (and not even if the review score matches up with the content).  And for that, I give GB an A+ because the guys seem to at least write reviews worth reading.
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mfpantst
    @Mordukai: Damn.  Fuck.  Oh well.  3/10 seems on the harsh side.  But whatever. 
    themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By themangalist

It's dumb that they compared industry standards as being unoriginal. Pretty bad writing if you ask me.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Wikitoups

Should I be angry with rage about this?

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cincaid

3 / 10 ?

Oooh, edgy.

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dabe

Edge generally favour ludology/gameplay over narrative or player agency, hence they shit all over a game that many people find broken/buggy. Not surprising, but I'd expect a better written review at least -- they seem to be on the turn with their review staff recently.

The writer does bring up one good point though, the abundance of food/water for you to pick up in front of people asking you to get it for them as they're struggling to survive. That is a poor conflict between gameplay/plot. Aside from this, the whole solipsist side-quests thing, where every NPC is a static person who asks you, effectively the centre of the Island & universe, to fetch or kill everything for them...

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mordukai

@mfpantst: I agree with you that GB offers a broad range of review types. That's why I value their opinion but I wouldn't go as far as to out my trust in them. That's why I like their QL as they offer the gamers a glimpse into the game that would otherwise be missing from a review. My problem with Jeff is that many gamers, mostly the young ones, seem to be idolizing his opinions as sacred. These gamers will deny themselves an experience that they might enjoy. They come out and say "well Jeff disliked it and he says it[s shit so it[s gotta be shit". It's like it doesn't dawn on him that a lot of people idolize him to the point of blind worship.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mfpantst
    @Mordukai: Ahh yes- idolization of opinion.  I agree with you 100%.  I do to an extent idolize their actual writing, but that doesn't mean I agree with them or think their opinions are law.  And what you described frustrates me too.

Edit: Although on your last comment I think Jeff does and tries to say 'read the review' and such- but people ignore it anyways.  An example of that ignoring (not of Jeff but another GBer is how people in the comments to Brad's review have slammed it because of their PC problems, when the review is not about the PC version- he says that once and the review says it too).  So in that sense I don't blame the guys, but people on the internet for not thinking for themselves/reading what these guys actually write.
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Number rating is worthless without the accompanying text.

EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EvilKatarn

EDGE is one of the last few outlets that still use the 1-10 scale for rating games. Everywhere else you look, it's like only 7-10. 8-10 for the games with a bigger budget.

If I was a reviewer, then I'd have given Borderlands 5/10 because that's what I think the game deserves. Dead Island, from what i've seen, looks far worse.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bybeach

No, the numbers will mean something in metacritic and such. as for my one off impression, thats too low. From what I have seen and heard and read, I would go bla blah bla and give it a 6/10...maybe a 7.5 even because of the good in it. with a sad sad note that with patches the game will start to truly shine. But that is after the review, ubfortunately

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By amir90

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Are you kidding me?

The logic you use on the other posts are of same confusion from me.

We might as well give up reviews and have a buy guides..

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@zaglis said:

Edge don't have a website.

I don't see why people complain every time a game they like gets a bad review from Edge. Yes, the Fallout games also got very poor reviews from them and Skyrim is likely to as well. Their reviews have always been harsh on technical issues, if a game technically has a lot of short comings, it's going to lose points - not just be praised because other elements are good. Honestly, I'd love to see more reviewers take this approach. Just because a game is fun to play doesn't negate other issues it might have

I mean, Fallout 3 may have been a great game, but the amount of problems it had alone should have stopped it from getting high scores. Stop pandering to the audience.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By zaglis

@WinterSnowblind said:

@zaglis said:

Edge don't have a website.

But...

Wait, what?

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mmmslash

I would give the game a 3/10, too.

Video games are entertainment, and Dead Island is boring. That is basically the worst thing a game could ever be, and Dead Island does it in spades.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@zaglis: Sorry, that was poorly worded on my part. They have a website, but they're actually a magazine publication. So yeah, I guess you could go to their website after hearing about the review, but you're not going to find it on there. So the excuse "they're doing it to increase traffic!" doesn't really work against them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.