Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

good for my first hardcore RPG?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ArchScabby

hey yo RPG dudes, I'm planning on picking this game up sometime this year after it comes out and wanted to know some things.  So as much as I love me some good RPGing, I still consider myself a casual RPG player.  See right now the two RPG's I'm playing are The Witcher, and Bowsers Inside Story.  Not exactly the most hardcore RPG's. (especialy the latter)  Over the last few years the ones I've played are Mass Effect, Oblivion, and uhhhh Fable I guess.  But Dragon Age seems awesome, especially after the quick look so I want to get it, and  was wondering if it's a good choice for my first jump into hardcore RPG's

Thanks you dudes.

Edit:  And Fallout 3.  I played that too.  Also I don't think it really counts but I played two worlds too human and diablo too.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

its not exactly an RPG where you build a character... its like Neverwinter Nights, you go on a journey with a party and accomplish things... 

amirite ?

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By RipTheVeins

I'd say that if you can take the hit on your ego and put it on "easy" then this truly is a great place to start your hardcore RPG need. Truly.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Lowbrow

If you've been through all the games you've mentioned above, you should be fine.

Game looks great.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

It should be, I'm pretty sure Bioware will have put things in place to ease players like yourself into the experience. I also think the console version will do a better job at doing that.   

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CenturionCajun

If you've played Fable, Mass Effect, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 then you're pretty much a seasoned RPG player. You shouldn't have any problems at all with Dragon Age. Just think it of it as Bioware's fantasy companion to Mass Effect.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Matfei90
    @CenturionCajun said:
    " If you've played Fable, Mass Effect, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 then you're pretty much a seasoned RPG player. You shouldn't have any problems at all with Dragon Age. Just think it of it as Bioware's fantasy companion to Mass Effect. "
    Fable has zero correlation to anything approaching the Dragon Age level of RPGdom.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mordukai
    @Matfei90 said:
    " @CenturionCajun said:
    " If you've played Fable, Mass Effect, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 then you're pretty much a seasoned RPG player. You shouldn't have any problems at all with Dragon Age. Just think it of it as Bioware's fantasy companion to Mass Effect. "
    Fable has zero correlation to anything approaching the Dragon Age level of RPGdom. "
    Agreed. Though the fable are really good I put them in a category of genre I like to call RPG-LITE. If you really want to know what to expect from Dragon Age then go play Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights
    BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BoFooQ

you will have more of a party rather than a single player, so there's more to control at the same time.  I'll be getting this for my ps3, cause my laptop would never handle it, but it will most likely be better and easier to play on computer. 

the other big thing is pausing your game constantly,.  i perfer to pause alot and micromanage everything and from has hard as this game sounds at times it's probably the way to go.   maybe a bit similar to the fallout aiming system... FATS FATZ ...???  i forgot what it was called
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Mordukai said:
    " @Matfei90 said:
    " @CenturionCajun said:
    Fable has zero correlation to anything approaching the Dragon Age level of RPGdom. "
    Agreed. Though the fable are really good I put them in a category of genre I like to call RPG-LITE. If you really want to know what to expect from Dragon Age then go play Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights.  "
    Im pretty sure the difficulty curve he is talking about is about the fighting... and Oblivion, mass effect, and fallout 3 had horrible fighting in the game and in no way prepare someone for a good rpg... 
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Snail
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater  Online

From what I have seen of Dragon Age, it looks rather difficult. I think you will be fine if you play on easy, but I still wouldn't recommend it as your first RPG.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Oni

If you made it through the Witcher and are ready to get more hardcore, Dragon Age seems right, if very hard. I might play on easy.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust
    @ArchScabby: 

@Mordukai said:
    " @Matfei90 said:
    " @CenturionCajun said:
    Agreed. Though the fable are really good I put them in a category of genre I like to call RPG-LITE. If you really want to know what to expect from Dragon Age then go play Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights.  "
    you should play one of these before buying dragon age, because you might not like it, and it would be a big waste.
    DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @ArchScabby: 

With what you said, I'd recommend yes, pretty confidently. If you enjoyed the game-play style of DAO - then you should do fine. What most people are citing, the difficulty level, can be toggled throughout the game. Personally, I'd recommend starting on "Normal" and playing through and if frustration starts to kick in or you just want an easier combat flow - then anytime during the game you can push it down to "Easy". So difficulty should not be an issue for you, on "Easy" it should be manageable for any kind of gamer.

The game will have four difficulty settings, "Easy", "Normal", "Hard" and "Nightmare". Nightmare may or may not be unlocked right off. A few notable differences between the settings are...

Casual - No friendly fire. Easy AI
    Normal - 50% damage from friendly fire, traps, and other abilities. Moderate AI
    Hard - 100% damage from friendly fire, traps, and other abilities. Full AI. Opponents hit harder.
    Nightmare - 100% damage from friendly fire, traps, and other abilities. Full AI. Opponents hit harder and additional resistances.

Also some thoughts from Devs.

Here's some developer quotes on difficulty. First, from Georg Zoeller:

Quote: If you're playing on Hard, you will have to use pause and play in pretty much any battle that contains more than just critters. There's just no other way. Believe me, I play on hard all the time, and there is just no way you beat *spoiler* without carefully planning.

On normal, you're gonna be in trouble without pause and play in major battles. *spoiler* ... probably not so much smile smile

On casual, pause and play is optional.

On nightmare ... well...

And from Chris Priestly, in a thread about starting the game on nightmare difficulty:

Quote: You will fail. Without understanding the way combat, items, spells and such works, you will die repeatedly to the point where it is not fun, just incredibly frustrating.

Nightmare is there to provide a challenge to experienced players. Even experienced players will frequently die because we are deliberately making Nightmare very very hard. To attempt it as your initial experience is, imo, stupid as it decreases the overall game enjoyment.

People who want to learn to run don't start off entering marathons on their first day, they learn how to run, then once they are comfortable in their skill and abilities, they challenge themselves. I strongly suggest you start on some other setting and work your way up to Nightmare.

If you enjoy dialogue, party interactions, a rich involving story and environment - then this should be the focus of what determines whether or not you buy it. The combat is, while a definite part of it, just another point and it can be easily adjusted to your style.

Oh and just for ease of things, I'd recommend PC if you are capable of such things. Consoles will be slightly inferior, imo, but I'd still be confident in a Xbox buy, too.
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By amir90

Game looks great, if it contains just 20 % of it's spiritual predecessor epicness, I will buy it!

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArchScabby

Hey guys thanks for the advice.  And hearing that you can change the difficulty throughout the game makes me feel a lot safer.  I hate when I decide to play something on a difficulty that gets too hard and there is no way to change it.

Well guess now I have to choose my first hardcore flight sim.....

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jimbo

I suspect the difficulty is somewhat overstated.  Short of completely screwing up your character build, any game where you can pause to issue orders is never going to be that difficult.

I'll probably start out on Hard (for the 'Full AI') and see how it goes.

DeviantJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DeviantJoker
    @Jimbo said:

" I suspect the difficulty is somewhat overstated.  Short of completely screwing up your character build, any game where you can pause to issue orders is never going to be that difficult.  I'll probably start out on Hard (for the 'Full AI') and see how it goes. "

Ya.. I'm not sure what to say of it. The developers have honestly said that even though they say "Hard" is the way the game was made to play (as in brutal and giving the AI their near full capability) - Hard is also a good descriptor of the gameplay. I'm inclined to think, as I've now seen three reviews and one preview and every single one of them comments that the combat is tough... it's not going to be a slouch. 

So I'm sure the aptly named Hard will be just that. Which will be a welcome challenge. I will start at Hard and hopefully not need to turn it down from that. Bottle-neck, bottle-neck! And use that terrain - hiding behind pillars and trees have been stated to been an effective use. Do not just keep your mage standing in clear eye-sight of an Archer. He will go down quickly.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho

Well, none of us have played it so...

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Metroid545
    @ryanwho said:
    " Well, none of us have played it so... "
    yep all we can really tell you is stuff based on speculation but hey it loks pretty cool
    mrbasehart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By mrbasehart

I might seem like a pussy, but I'll be playing it on Easy.  I don't really play RPGs (or frankly, any game) for the challenge, and more the experience of playing through it, and immersing myself in the story and the characters.  

As for if it's any good for a novice RPG'er, I gotta think Bioware would've made some choices available for the newcomers to the genre - especially on the console versions.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ArchScabby
    @mrbasehart said:
    " I might seem like a pussy, but I'll be playing it on Easy.  I don't really play RPGs (or frankly, any game) for the challenge, and more the experience of playing through it, and immersing myself in the story and the characters.    As for if it's any good for a novice RPG'er, I gotta think Bioware would've made some choices available for the newcomers to the genre - especially on the console versions. "
    I think the same way.  I play RPG's for the loot, locations, and adventure, not to have a tough challenge playing the game.  In Oblivion my character got so tough I could literally stand in place for 5 mintues with something attacking me and I would only have lost half my health.  But that was okay.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cornman89

Judging by the Quick Look, it seems like a game I'd want to play, but probably on Normal, maybe Easy. There's a difference between being challenged and screaming-at-the-TV frustrated.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CenturionCajun

Agreed. I often find myself playing games on Easy simply so I can get through them in a timely manner. Only if a game is really good will I go back and take the effort to play on a higher difficulty.

Well, that or there's an achievement for it. :)

akcorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By akcorr
    @RipTheVeins said:
    "I'd say that if you can take the hit on your ego and put it on "easy" then this truly is a great place to start your hardcore RPG need. Truly. "

Agreed.  Going through the story/world while experiencing the RPG aspects is going to be extremely satisfying for ANY gamer. 
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By endaround
    @DeviantJoker said:
    " @Jimbo said:

" I suspect the difficulty is somewhat overstated.  Short of completely screwing up your character build, any game where you can pause to issue orders is never going to be that difficult.  I'll probably start out on Hard (for the 'Full AI') and see how it goes. "

Ya.. I'm not sure what to say of it. The developers have honestly said that even though they say "Hard" is the way the game was made to play (as in brutal and giving the AI their near full capability) - Hard is also a good descriptor of the gameplay. I'm inclined to think, as I've now seen three reviews and one preview and every single one of them comments that the combat is tough... it's not going to be a slouch.  So I'm sure the aptly named Hard will be just that. Which will be a welcome challenge. I will start at Hard and hopefully not need to turn it down from that. Bottle-neck, bottle-neck! And use that terrain - hiding behind pillars and trees have been stated to been an effective use. Do not just keep your mage standing in clear eye-sight of an Archer. He will go down quickly. "
    Check out the QL again..  The last room Dave enters.  Instead of putting two guy at the door he rushed in with his mage.  Why?  Because he knew that  there were guys coming from the back from previous playthrough.  Simple bottle necks are likely to be hard to do.  Looks closer to IWD combat where every room was a slugfest versus BG and BGII combat where only the top fights were really tough (Liches anyone?).
    JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#28  Edited By JackiJinx

Wouldn't be the worst decision for your first hardcore RPG. A few difficulties and it's pausable so you can think out your moves. If you want a difficult RPG to go with, try Lords of Magic. That thing knocked me on my ass the first several times I attempted that.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By WinterSnowblind

It's supposed to be more similar to games like Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights, which were quite challenging and required a lot of thought and strategy.  It's not going to be like Fable, Oblivion or even Mass Effect where you can pretty much breeze through the game with little difficulty.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By delta_ass

This game's probably going to be easier then Demon's Soulses, at least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.