Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dreamcast

Platform »

The Dreamcast is the fifth and final console developed by Sega and the first of the sixth-generation of consoles to release. As the first 128-bit system, it was the first to offer truly arcade-quality 3D graphics. It is famous for being the first console to include worldwide online capability, its game library, and its unexpectedly short life span.

Happy Dreamcast Day 09/09/09

• 74 results
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

What a great console it was despite it's few flaws, and what a epic failure for SEGA. It's a shame it was the final nail in the coffin for SEGA's console production, I would have loved to seen the spirit of the Dreamcast imbued into all future SEGA consoles. Sometimes I wonder what the industry would be like today if things had worked out differently and SEGA had made better choices.

This is a thread to discuss all aspects of the Dreamcast, your loves and your hates, what games you had, what were your faves etc. Show us your collection if you can, tell us how many Dreamcasts you have gone through etc. Where did it go wrong in your opinion?, will the Dreamcast ever return? 

Sega Dreamcast

CPU 200 MHz Hitachi SH4 RISC
    GPU 100 MHz PowerVR2 CLX2
    Media: CD, 1.2 GB GD-ROM, DVD (unreleased)
    System storage: VMU, Nexus Memory Card
    Online service SegaNet, Dreamarena
    Units sold 10.6 million

Gamespot's coverage of the launch (includes Jeff):

20 Minute Documentary:  

The History of the Dreamcast

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

w00t!  Can't wait to see what GiantBomb does.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike
    @JJOR64 said:
    " w00t!  Can't wait to see what GiantBomb does. "
    I'm guessing nothing.
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tebbit

Rest in peace, sweet prince.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Coltonio7

No Caption Provided
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JJOR64
    @MB said:
    " @JJOR64 said:
    I'm guessing nothing. "
    They said they were doing something.  They mentioned it on the new Bombcast.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By mike
    @JJOR64: Oh, I don't listen to the Bombcasts until Sunday normally. Nice.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

@JJOR64

I know Ryan and Jeff have some love. I've noticed that Ryan has a minty Samba De Amigo box in his apartment, and his Dreamcast out on show.

I'm having a Dreamcast party tonight, I'm just in the process of setting everything up right now. I have a load of old university friends coming over this evening so play just like we did back in the day. That basically means a whole lot of boozy 4 player Powerstone action :)  I am also holding a Vampire/Dartkstalkers competition for a bottle of more booze that I'm putting up as a prize. I could well end up drinking my own bottle... 

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Branthog

I wasn't really much of a gamer back then (especially not a console gamer) but I just bought my fourth Dreamcast (third fully boxed - the other a vintage opened system) this week. They're stacked right along with my 3DO collection. Heh.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StaticFalconar

The only DC game i ever cared about to this day is MVC2 and we all know where that game is now

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11  Edited By DrRandle
    @Coltonio7: That is frakking fantastic.

So maybe I'll go play some Sonic Adventure in memory. Or buy MvC2 on XBLA. Now that I think about it.. They shoulda saved that for today :D
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12  Edited By MrKlorox

I remember fantasizing about buying one of these as a broke 9th grader. Instead I bought the horrible I-wish-it-was-Will-Wright-Peter-Moleneux-convergence-project SimThemepark the same day. Still rented one a week later and didn't stop playing that hoverboard tony hawk wannabe game the entire time.

I tried to convince my friends to get one or come play and they were all "Fuck you, let's get stoned and listen to Slipknot/Static-X"

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pause422

I was actually just talking about Powerstone the otherday and how I loved playing it with friends back then. Somewhere in my closet I still got my DC, but I haven't turned it on in like 7 years so I have no idea if it works or not. I'm probably going to test it out later today after I get back from work..if it still does hopefully(was in fine condition so I think it should) I'm gonna bust out some Jet grind radio I think :P

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Marzy

I would play mine today, but I need a new cable to play it on my HDTV. I can't believe after all these years I still use the aerial lead that came with it (it was never something I got round to doing, since before it looked ok on my CRT).

Such a fantastic console, I was very sad the day I heard they were stopping production. I was glad I got most of the best games before it died out. There are still quite a few that I need to play though and I will invest in later on. Shenmue & 2 were easily my favourite games for the system and still are.

Happy Dreamcast Day! hope you have a nice time Linkyshinks, sounds like good fun. :)

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's too bad SEGA didn't do anything special for the day... Like announcing Shenmue 3 :-P

SeeDsTOHR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By SeeDsTOHR

Happy Birthday, we miss you :)

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By ryoma122

i just baught a black dream cast lol im gona have my self a good time
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By buzz_clik
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MrKlorox

Man, are there any worthwhile DC emulators out there? I remember not having much success with the Saturn one(s) about a year back.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Diamond
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " It's too bad SEGA didn't do anything special for the day... Like announcing Shenmue 3 :-P "
    They announced a new 2D Sonic game
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By Cube

Man this makes me feel nostalgic. We miss you little buddy. RIP.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, that would have been special, if we didn't have all the horrid Sonic games the past decade.

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gump

Viva la Dreamcast!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r

I still have my DC but it's turned into a horrible yellow color... Very ugly. The controller too, though slightly less :-(

Oh well, my Shenmue 1 & 2 copies are in mint condition.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shenmue and Jet Set Radio forever!

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By cinemandrew

Didn't even realize it was the 9th. Thanks for the reminder! Go Dreamcast GO!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Al3xand3r: Really? I notice my SNES has turned form an almost purplish gray to a pissed-bedsheet beige. Except for the small plastic eject flap in the middle between the power and reset switches... that thing looks like the rest of the entire console used to when it was new.
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Yeah, that would have been special, if we didn't have all the horrid Sonic games the past decade. "
    I don't give a fuck what people say, some of those 3D Sonic games were a lot of fun. I had so many nostalgic memories with the Sonic Adventure games.

Also, Sonic Unleashed was also fun.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @MrKlorox said:

" @Al3xand3r: Really? I notice my SNES has turned form an almost purplish gray to a pissed-bedsheet beige. Except for the small plastic eject flap in the middle between the power and reset switches... that thing looks like the rest of the entire console used to when it was new. "

I did some research into the issue of yellowing and found that it's down to certain flame resistant chemicals that were used. (- in both the Dreamcast and the Super Nintendo) Those chemicals degrade and leech out a yellow residue. There's no way of reversing the effects, I have found, but if you do have a console in perfect condition you can maintain it's colour.  If you keep your consoles out of the sun and apply a little total factor sun block after a light cleaning when you do, it will help a great deal in preserving those chemicals and in turn the original colour of your consoles.

Continuing on the subject of Dreamcast care, If you have a working Dreamcast and you want to prolong it's life, I highly recommend the following. which is something I do to all my Dreamcasts now.

I give the plastic sheet that surrounds the PSU a little snip at the front and the back end to help with the hot air extraction. The DC is very badly designed in terms of it's layout, and that plastic only helps to trap heat making it more prone to over heating, and in turn the warping of the components and connections.

If your suffering disc read errors and random restarts etc, this guy has some easy to follow videos on how to sort them out:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=4E5A2578AF1981C9
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Marzy
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @MrKlorox said:

" @Al3xand3r: Really? I notice my SNES has turned form an almost purplish gray to a pissed-bedsheet beige. Except for the small plastic eject flap in the middle between the power and reset switches... that thing looks like the rest of the entire console used to when it was new. "

I did some research into the issue of yellowing and found that it's down to certain flame resistant chemicals that were used. (- in both the Dreamcast and the Super Nintendo) Those chemicals degrade and leech out a yellow residue. There's no way of reversing the effects, I have found, but if you do have a console in perfect condition you can maintain it's colour.  If you keep your consoles out of the sun, and apply a little total factor sun block after a light cleaning, it will help a great deal in preserving those chemicals. "
    My SNES is still grey and it's over 15 years old. I've always kept it out of the sun and treated it very well. The same is with my Dreamcast.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31  Edited By Cerza

Happy 10th birthday Dreamcast!!! Though our time together was brief, I will always remember you as the little system that could. Whose games were strange, avante garde, and every single one of them kicked serious ass. Long live the Dreamcast!!!

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By zyn

Happy Birthday Dreamcast!  You would've been 10 today.

Osphere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Osphere
    <3 Dreamcast
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Marzy said:
    " I would play mine today, but I need a new cable to play it on my HDTV. I can't believe after all these years I still use the aerial lead that came with it (it was never something I got round to doing, since before it looked ok on my CRT).  Such a fantastic console, I was very sad the day I heard they were stopping production. I was glad I got most of the best games before it died out. There are still quite a few that I need to play though and I will invest in later on. Shenmue & 2 were easily my favourite games for the system and still are.  Happy Dreamcast Day! hope you have a nice time Linkyshinks, sounds like good fun. :) "

eBay or Amazon should do the trick cheaply.

Thanks, I certainly will do, I have a veritable buffet of games to play. By the end of the night we will all be chatting to Seaman in a severely drunk state asking him why Sega deserted us :(
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#35  Edited By ArbitraryWater

As little as I know/care about the dreamcast, I do understand that a lot of people like it. Oh, and no Dreamcast thread would be complete without this little video:

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#36  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I know it was the first console to hit the 128 mark. And it had Shenmue and Jet Set Radio to its name. But I've honestly never understood the legendary status that this console seems to hold. It wasn't that great.

I'm prepared to stand corrected though. So fire away haha.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By MikeFightNight

stiil got mine hooked up for all the 2d fighters I love. However I have a PS2 controller converter for my DC. I hate the DC d-pad.
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Marzy
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Marzy said:
    " I would play mine today, but I need a new cable to play it on my HDTV. I can't believe after all these years I still use the aerial lead that came with it (it was never something I got round to doing, since before it looked ok on my CRT).  Such a fantastic console, I was very sad the day I heard they were stopping production. I was glad I got most of the best games before it died out. There are still quite a few that I need to play though and I will invest in later on. Shenmue & 2 were easily my favourite games for the system and still are.  Happy Dreamcast Day! hope you have a nice time Linkyshinks, sounds like good fun. :) "
      eBay or Amazon should do the trick cheaply.   Thanks, I certainly will do, I have a veritable buffet of games to play. By the end of the night we will all be chatting to Seaman in a severely drunk state asking him why Sega deserted us :( "

I've been wanting to get Seaman, it looks like great fun. I'm sure I'd prefer it over Milo, from what I've seen it looks more enjoyable. It's a shame it's so rare to find.

If you were to use a Dreamcast on a HDTV, which sort of cable would you recommend LS?
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Scooper

Maaaaaan. I loved the Dreamcast. So many great games for it. It had some great 3D fighters before 3D fighters got lame like the original Soul Calibur, that was an amazing game, I loved playing Virtua Fighter too. Jet Set Radio, Revolt, Sonic Adventure.. I spent hours in Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 getting my Chao to be how I wanted it to be without actualy knowing what I needed to do to make it change, it was all hap-hazard giving it random foods and things and seeing what happened. The VMU games were great too, I had to replace the batteries for the thing and they were way expensive from some crazy electronics store.

The thing sold over 10 million units though so it wasn't the utter utter failure I thought it was. 10 Million is still a good number.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Marzy said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

" @Marzy said:

eBay or Amazon should do the trick cheaply.   Thanks, I certainly will do, I have a veritable buffet of games to play. By the end of the night we will all be chatting to Seaman in a severely drunk state asking him why Sega deserted us :( "
     I've been wanting to get Seaman, it looks like great fun. I'm sure I'd prefer it over Milo, from what I've seen it looks more enjoyable. It's a shame it's so rare to find.  If you were to use a Dreamcast on a HDTV, which sort of cable would you recommend LS? "

A regular Scart lead is your best option, it will be a substantial improvement over the grainy image your get with a aerial lead. 

You can get all the connections with one of these though:  ( ebay might have one cheap, if not, opt for a regular scart lead)

Dreamcast VGA Box

My lounge is looking like a Dreamcast shrine right now :)   I still need to bring in my Dreamcast Pod downstairs too :D

LordCrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LordCrom

My favorite system in gaming history!  Thank you for all the joy you brought me Dreamcast.  You left us far to soon.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Systech
    @Coltonio7: That modified comic strip is very accurate for the time.
    destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By destruktive
    @Linkyshinks said:
    "  

Dug this out for some drunken Seaman action. Yes I know that sounds sick
    No Caption Provided

"
    God damnit. That sounds fun.
    I wish I had seaman and the mic. :|
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Marzy said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

I did some research into the issue of yellowing and found that it's down to certain flame resistant chemicals that were used. (- in both the Dreamcast and the Super Nintendo) Those chemicals degrade and leech out a yellow residue. There's no way of reversing the effects, I have found, but if you do have a console in perfect condition you can maintain it's colour.  If you keep your consoles out of the sun, and apply a little total factor sun block after a light cleaning, it will help a great deal in preserving those chemicals. "

My SNES is still grey and it's over 15 years old. I've always kept it out of the sun and treated it very well. The same is with my Dreamcast. "
    So THAT was my problem... and here I somehow thought it was smoke damage. I'll admit I've always been into playing when everything's a little clearer in the light of day and you know the night is always gonna be there anyway.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Absurd

I never owned a Dreamcast, but I did play Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 on a Dreamcast at a store. That's when I realized I wanted to own a console.(I got a PS2 for Christmas)

MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MrRedwine

The Dreamcast was the first console I bought for myself.  When I was in college, this console was simply amazing.  There were so many games I loved on the Dreamcast.  Rush was probably the game my wife and I played the most.  She was pretty amazing at that game.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MeierTheRed

Always wished i had bought a Dreamcast, but i never did. I had the Saturn though.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Marzy

Thanks LS, I'll look into getting a VGA, but if they're too expensive, then I'll go for the scart.

I love your Dreamcast pod.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @ArbitraryWater   

" As little as I know/care about the dreamcast, I do understand that a lot of people like it. Oh, and no Dreamcast thread would be complete without this little video:

"

Great find.  

@Marzy  

" Thanks LS, I'll look into getting a VGA, but if they're too expensive, then I'll go for the scart.  I love your Dreamcast pod. "

So do I, I bought it at a auction in London's Acton a while ago. It looks a lot cleaner now that it's in my bedroom, that above photo was taken when I first got it. It's pretty heavy and a mission to get down the stairs safely.     

@MrKlorox

" @Marzy said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

My SNES is still grey and it's over 15 years old. I've always kept it out of the sun and treated it very well. The same is with my Dreamcast. "
    So THAT was my problem... and here I somehow thought it was smoke damage. I'll admit I've always been into playing when everything's a little clearer in the light of day and you know the night is always gonna be there anyway.

"

Yep, I think many must have blamed it on smoking.  I wonder what 360s, Wii's and PS3's will look like in 15-20 years time " /       

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I missed out on this originally, may have to shell out and grab a used one to experience the original Sega content...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.