Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Electronic Arts

Company »

EA is one of the largest publisher/developers in the video game industry.

Why do people hate EA so much?

• 190 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#101  Edited By Snail

They will buy all, and rule all. The EAmpire is coming!

Bartiemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By Bartiemus

DRM enough said

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By Kazona

I don't hate EA. In fact, with games like Dead Space and Mirror's Edge on their list I feel like hugging them rather than hating them. But I'm too cool to hug, so they'll just have to make do with a, "I don't hate you."

Hreterus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By Hreterus

I know this is an old topic but still...

People say EA is greedy and such... but do YOU buy games so the company can make money or so that you can play?  I'm not saying you should or even that it would be good if you would.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Impressive.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#106  Edited By donutfever
    @Hreterus said:

" I know this is an old topic but still...  People say EA is greedy and such... but do YOU buy games so the company can make money or so that you can play?  I'm not saying you should or even that it would be good if you would. "

Hreterus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Hreterus

Your point? 

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By valrog

They want to use the pathetic Ubisoft DRM? Not to mention they blame pirates for their own incompetence.

Hreterus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Hreterus

Don't use it then? Nobody is forceing you. 

So pirates are good? Mind if I come over and steal something from you?

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#110  Edited By dudacles
    @Jayge said:
    " They destroyed companies, rehash games to death, produce shitty sports games, leave people out of credits, manipulate the press heavily, have monopolist policies, are generally an evil corporation (like all the rest) and they can burn in hell. Plus, they have no quality control, which is funny because they axe Tiberium but put out something like Mercs 2. "
    No, they are simply a big company that manages to thrive in its capitalistic environment, for which EA cannot be blamed. Every company is out to make money, and every move that seems like a random act of kindness towards its consumers (e.g. Epic releasing their map packs for free at times) is really just a ploy to get people to like them and thus make more money out of them.

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with EA. They publish quality games in rapid succession, especially these days.
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By wickedsc3

Because they put an unskippable trailer for NFS: Shift 2 at the begining of NFS: Hot Pursuit.  Really though i think most if it is in your head, no matter what large company you single out, there are always going to be people who dont like them.  There are many reason's for this be it the dont like the sequel to a game, they had a bad expirence with the company, they dont like there past, ect.  Even if they have been putting out good games theres still always that one personal situation that hits home harder than anything they are now doing.  
    I personally don't care what publisher puts out a game if its good i will play it.  But when it comes to something that i care passionately about such as my cars i will never buy another American car because i have had a bad experience with one, and i don't care that supposedly ford is making good cars now i will never buy anything except Lexus or Toyota as Ive only had good experiences with my Lexus's these past 5 years

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#112  Edited By meteora

Nowadays EA is seen as a saint thanks to Bobby Kotick.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#113  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

They has some dark years in which they really didn't give a fuck about their game and customers, but even at their lowest they werent nearly as bad as Activision.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By SSValis

Because I need a activation code to play online.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Nasar7

This is some serious thread necromancy.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Marcsman

They killed NFL 2K 
    So if you want to play a football game it has to be Madden. 
    Which totally sucks because Tiburon got super lazy once they had no competition. 
    That's reason enough to kill
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By LiquidPrince

I most likely posted in this thread... two years ago. I don't hate them, because even though I have a 360, I wanted Mass Effect on PS3, and they helped make that possible.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I don't hate EA, I hate Activision. At least EA are willing to give new IPs a go, Activision only pumps out sequels till the series goes sour and gets kicked out the door (Guitar Hero, anyone?).

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#120  Edited By Geno

I'm mostly hating on them right now for holding Crysis 2 hostage on their EA store. 

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#121  Edited By shivermetimbers
    @Meteora said:

" Nowadays EA is seen as a saint thanks to Bobby Kotick. "

Thing is that Activision isn't punishing their paying customers by having DRM or making them put in some activation code to unlock  important features that are listed on the box.
    metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#122  Edited By metalmoog

I like EA. When I see the EA badge on a game it's a seal of quality for me. I grew up playing all of the EA Sports games on Genesis & Super NES. They were making the best sports games back then and although they took a dive for a few years, are back on top. EA & DICE made a hell of a game in BFBC2, a game that I enjoy playing a hell of a lot more than the over-rated over sold CoD's of the world. After the amount of BS the PS3 versions of Black Ops have compared to the much better 360 versions I say the villain is anyone working under Activision's banner not EA.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By meteora
    @shivermetimbers said:
    " @Meteora said:

Thing is that Activision isn't punishing their paying customers by having DRM or making them put in some activation code to unlock  important features that are listed on the box. "
    Thing is Activision kinda doesn't really care about PC.
    Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#124  Edited By shivermetimbers
    @Meteora said:
    " @shivermetimbers said:
    " @Meteora said:

Thing is that Activision isn't punishing their paying customers by having DRM or making them put in some activation code to unlock  important features that are listed on the box. "
    Thing is Activision kinda doesn't really care about PC. "
    I'm not defending Activison, I'm just saying that EA isn't a saint.
    danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#125  Edited By danimal_furry

Because they are a big name with a lot of money. At least that is part of it. Some people hate the big guys, but EA deserves it for another reason. With all their money, they just sit on stale ideas and put out rehashed versions year after year. They lack any motivation to be creative. A prime example is their sports games. Madden is the most offensive because they purchased all NFL rights and have no competition among football games. Therefore they just release the same crap every year with "new rosters." I was over EA for a long time... but then I had to write this. Now I feel the rage. ARRRRRRGGGGG!!!!
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By meteora
    @shivermetimbers said:
    " @Meteora said:
    " @shivermetimbers said:
    " @Meteora said:

I'm not defending Activison, I'm just saying that EA isn't a saint. "
    I didn't mean it literally. EA still has a bunch of bad things going on, but compare to Activision now, EA looks like a saint.
    Hreterus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Hreterus
    @danimal_furry said:

" Because they are a big name with a lot of money. At least that is part of it. Some people hate the big guys, but EA deserves it for another reason. With all their money, they just sit on stale ideas and put out rehashed versions year after year. They lack any motivation to be creative. A prime example is their sports games. Madden is the most offensive because they purchased all NFL rights and have no competition among football games. Therefore they just release the same crap every year with "new rosters." I was over EA for a long time... but then I had to write this. Now I feel the rage. ARRRRRRGGGGG!!!! "

People buy the things they make right? Not like they force you or anything. 

It's a "natural" monopoly that thay have (if what you say is true) and there is nothing wrong with that.
    If they purchased the NFL rights then obviously the ones they bought  it from agreed. So there's no force involved. Any time another company wants to make a football game they can and if you like it better you can buy it.

You people act as if you are entitled to games you like... as if these corporations are their to make you happy as the priority not make money.
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Rockanomics

Wow I can't believe this site has been around long enough to have 2 year old threads.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#129  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I really haven't heard many - if any - people complaining about EA milking franchises. That's not the most common reason I've heard for the EA hate. Rather, it's how there used to be even more tons and tons of quality games, by studios such as Origin/Looking Glass (Wing Commander, System Shock 1, Ultima) , Westwood (Dune 2/2000/Emperor, C&C, Blade Runner), Pandemic (Battlezone II, Mercenaries), Bullfrog (Syndicate, Populous), Maxis (SimCity, The Sims) that were acquired by EA and subsequently closed down.
    And there's also the pretty bad post-release support - with EA shutting down multiplayer servers for games less than 2 years after release and removing the patches from their support site in even shorter time spans, and the strange EULA for the EA Store that states that the licenses you purchase from them are only really valid for 6 months, after that they could remove them from your account - though to date that has not happened, about 3 years after they launched the service.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#130  Edited By danimal_furry
    @Hreterus said:
    "@danimal_furry said:

" Because they are a big name with a lot of money. At least that is part of it. Some people hate the big guys, but EA deserves it for another reason. With all their money, they just sit on stale ideas and put out rehashed versions year after year. They lack any motivation to be creative. A prime example is their sports games. Madden is the most offensive because they purchased all NFL rights and have no competition among football games. Therefore they just release the same crap every year with "new rosters." I was over EA for a long time... but then I had to write this. Now I feel the rage. ARRRRRRGGGGG!!!! "

People buy the things they make right? Not like they force you or anything.   It's a "natural" monopoly that thay have (if what you say is true) and there is nothing wrong with that.If they purchased the NFL rights then obviously the ones they bought  it from agreed. So there's no force involved. Any time another company wants to make a football game they can and if you like it better you can buy it.  You people act as if you are entitled to games you like... as if these corporations are their to make you happy as the priority not make money. "

You take me too seriously. I'm a nice and pleasant capitalist. I see nothing wrong with a monopoly, but I also don't like lazy corporations. I just hate the fact they make the same Madden every year and people keep buying it. It's retarded, and it's why I quit buying them. But they have no competition because they bought the NFL contract. When that runs out, I will be so so so very happy. Also, I think EA is starting to slide on the money making scale. Either way, I am kind of glad people have started to see my way about EA. Once they get a little heat under them, they should start making decent games again. I want to go back to the time when Gameday and Madden were constantly at war over who could put out a better NFL game.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#131  Edited By benjaebe

No Caption Provided
    NECRO THREAD IS BACK FROM THE DEAD.

EDIT: Two years ago was EA the company people hated the most? I can't remember when it switched to them from Activision. Regardless, they've been a lot better lately with new IPs, the EA Partners program, etc.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#132  Edited By JJWeatherman

You had me at Road Rash. 

And wow, this thread's two years old.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#133  Edited By tourgen
    @jakob187: 
    Hate is way too strong of a word.  I'm annoyed with EA.  I think their secondary login servers for single player games are bullshit.  I don't appreciate cheat codes as DLC.  I think they are doing some underhanded, slimy business with their single player content DLC.  They have in the past used extremely annoying and frustrating DRM systems on the PC.

I still play their games.  You pretty much pointed out why - they release some great stuff.  Original stuff.  But for 1/2 a split second while I make that purchase I think to myself, "should I just pirate this and get a version with all of the annoying bullshit removed?"  I end up buying it but I bet a lot of people answer that question differently.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#134  Edited By 234r2we232
    @Meteora said:
    " @shivermetimbers said:
    " @Meteora said:

Like most sane and successful publishers. Avoid that whole debacle.
    Natesaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Natesaint

EA is the lesser evil, Activision is like Big Brother without the 'Stache. As of right now, EA has a better choice of games.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#136  Edited By jakob187
    @Nasar7 said:
    " This is some serious thread necromancy. "
    No shit.  I forgot I ever made this thread.  I still stand by my words, though. 

Dead Space 2 
    Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 
    Mass Effect 2 
    Dragon Age: Origins (PC only, fuck the console version) 
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 
    The Sims 3 
    Skate 3 
    NBA Jam 
    Madden 11 (again, the last time I liked Madden was 1994, so it says a lot to me that I thoroughly enjoyed this game) 

Plus...with Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, Battlefield 3, Dragon Age II, and so many other games scheduled for the year... 

...EA still kicks severe amounts of ass!
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By MikkaQ

Well I applaud EA's ability to buy up skilled developers, but that's like applauding a gorilla for being strong.  It's not exactly earned really. 

I have no problem with EA or their business tactics, but all their good games come from either developers they've bought, or are partnered up with. 90% of their internally developed games are total crap.  

So they're good publishers, but man they can't develop a game for shit. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By jakob187
    @XII_Sniper: The developers they buy up basically make those "internal studios".  So yeah, Dead Space and its sequel were both pretty terrible, Mass Effect and its sequel were complete wastes of time, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and Burnout Paradise were utter trash, Battlefield Bad Company 2 was a huge joke, and all the revamps to their sports titles are just worthless.  EA does no good at all. 

T_T 

@tourgen said:
    " @jakob187:  Hate is way too strong of a word.  I'm annoyed with EA.  I think their secondary login servers for single player games are bullshit.  I don't appreciate cheat codes as DLC.  I think they are doing some underhanded, slimy business with their single player content DLC.  They have in the past used extremely annoying and frustrating DRM systems on the PC.  I still play their games.  You pretty much pointed out why - they release some great stuff.  Original stuff.  But for 1/2 a split second while I make that purchase I think to myself, "should I just pirate this and get a version with all of the annoying bullshit removed?"  I end up buying it but I bet a lot of people answer that question differently. "
    If people are willing to spend money on the DLC, then whatever.  The games themselves are great without that DLC.  As for the login servers, I think it's a bit of a mess, but it's also something they are trying to make work better with each passing game.  NFS Hot Pursuit and its Autolog system virtually make that Online Pass shit worthwhile!  They are constantly getting better with it, and anything that shoves a big stiff one up Gamestop's ass is something I can get behind.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By MikkaQ
    @jakob187 said:
    " @XII_Sniper: The developers they buy up basically make those "internal studios".  So yeah, Dead Space and its sequel were both pretty terrible, Mass Effect and its sequel were complete wastes of time, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and Burnout Paradise were utter trash, Battlefield Bad Company 2 was a huge joke, and all the revamps to their sports titles are just worthless.  EA does no good at all.  T_T "
    I mean properly internally developed. Bioware and DICE still have a name and physical offices to call their own. They operates as branches of EA, sure, but they were proper independent developers before it. EA has internal teams that pump out a lot of crap like EA Montreal, EA Canada, EA Tiburon and EA LA. 

EA for the most part makes good games, and they're a lot better than before, but they still have some nasty reminders of the lamer days of EA. 
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By RE_Player1

I was always indifferent towards EA but looking at my shelve the last 6 games I've bought have been from them... way to go EA. 

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Kyreo

I actually used to despise EA with an unwavering fury but now I am very fond of them.  They are the big company that isn't afraid to do what it has to make a buck or two but does it in a way that isn't as Vicious as Activision. 

I guess I like them more because they are the lesser evil of them and Activision.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Brians
    @Kyreo: agreed.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Rayfield

Posting in 28 month old thread.
    zachariahus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By zachariahus
    @wordsgohere said:
    " EA eats small children. That's why. "
    Being not a very big fan of children, I think I'm pretty okay with this.
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#145  Edited By StarFoxA

I feel like EA has actually been going in the right direction this past decade, embracing a lot of original IPs, taking some risks. 

Activision, on the other hand...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By jakob187
    @XII_Sniper: Black Box has done a terrific job with the Skate games, to the point that Skate 3 felt like one hell of a pillar for the genre in both its customization capabilities as well as its feature set and online functionality.   

Need For Speed Shift was not the atrocity that so many try to make it out to be.  It wasn't the most amazing racing game ever, but their cockpit view is one of the best in the genre while it definitely started taking Need For Speed in a different direction than before, leading to one of my most anticipated games of 2011:  Shift 2 Unleashed.   

Tiburon put together Madden 11, which finally got rid of the sprint button and finally worked out a lot of the hitches with the "trading card" aspect of the online stuff.  If anything, Madden 11 is a fucking game again!  It was goddamn great, something that could rival any of the ESPN 2K games. 

FIFA 11 also brought a lot of new stuff to the table, making for a more interesting game. 

NBA Jam absolutely kicks ass. 

Medal of Honor wasn't terrible, but instead just had a case of identity crisis.  That game is still totally playable. 

Dead Space 2 is goddamn brilliant. 

Hell, even EA MMA wasn't terrible!!!

I mean, seriously...the company has a great lineup of games.  Above that, they have a great lineup of games.  Even when they are making internally developed stuff, this generation's games blow past generations out of the water.  John Riccitiello has really turned that company around.  Do I agree that every game needs a multiplayer component?  No, but if they can handle it the same way as Dead Space 2 or Need For Speed Hot Pursuit...where the single player portion doesn't suffer and yet still has a fully capable multiplayer functionality...then I'm perfectly fine with that. 

It's better to know that they are not running their franchises into the ground and instead are giving them time to be their own games.
    bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By bibledoctor

Because people will fucking whine about anything and everything.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By kingzetta

EA, ubisoft, and capcom are the best companies in the world.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#149  Edited By WickedCestus

Burnout: Paradise should be on that list too. I also don't understand why people hate EA.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#150  Edited By Slaker117

EA is a perfectly fine company. Sure they're a huge corporation and they have all the negatives qualities that brings, but they consistently produce competitive games. I've got no love for them, but have loved a handful of their products. Hating them because they're big and make a lot of sequels is shallow and pointless.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.