Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy VII

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jan 31, 1997

The seventh numbered entry in the Final Fantasy franchise brings the series into 3D with a landmark title that set new industry standards for cinematic storytelling. Mercenary Cloud Strife joins the rebel group AVALANCHE in their fight against the power-hungry Shinra Company, but their struggle soon becomes a race to save the entire Planet from an impending cataclysm.

Goddamn, stop the FF7 hate.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301  Edited By NakAttack

Don't tell me what to do

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#302  Edited By cid798

I've fond memories of it because I did love the game and back in the day I bought one of those multi-page memory cards with the LED display, back when Mad Catz was pretty crappy.

I like Final Fantasy 7's style, definitely like the world, the characters I prefer for their design. 8 came out and they were all kinda sexy, still a good game but I rather materia over the spell-equip system that come on after a couple play throughs finding out you could set menu memory and keep the button held down could max out spells easily was crazy

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#303  Edited By ds8k

Ain't no rage like the sweet tears of a Final Fantasy nerd scorn.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#304  Edited By impartialgecko

I blame FF7 for starting the trend of characters dying in games and trying to be emotional about it.

Avatar image for alianthaberries
    AlianthaBerries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305  Edited By AlianthaBerries

FF8 VIII

FF IX

Woo!

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306  Edited By Karkarov

This thread refuses to die like a stubborn blind mule with three legs.

That said I do think the FF7 hate is mostly laughable especially lately when it seems to be "trending" to not like it. I personally consider it the best game in the series (by a small margin) followed by FF VI. I tried the modern FF games but I cant get past the wall of absolute suck they keep throwing at me. I have at least beaten all of them through X, XI and XIV not counting obviously.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#307  Edited By CL60
    @Karkarov

That said I do think the FF7 hate is mostly laughable especially lately when it seems to be "trending" to not like it. I personally consider it the best game in the series (by a small margin) followed by FF VI. I tried the modern FF games but I cant get past the wall of absolute suck they keep throwing at me. I have at least beaten all of them through X, XI and XIV not counting obviously.

Off topic here, but X not counting, why?
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308  Edited By Karkarov

@CL60 said:

@Karkarov

You are right sir! That sentence is ass, let me re-phase. I have beaten every FF through X. Due to being MMO's FFXI and XIV obviously don't count. I am just saying that I am not one of these dudes who hasn't played the modern ones and hates the new games out of some false nostalgia. Though I will freely admit I have never played 13 and 13-2 mostly because they just look terrible on all levels except for graphics. I have heard decent stuff about 13-2 at least.

Edit for further clarity ;p

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309  Edited By Alkaiser

@Yummylee said:

@Hailinel said:

@Yummylee said:

Tales of Symphonia motherfuckers.

Well, there's a non sequitur.

:)

It's been a looooooong time since I've played any FF game. I've also only played VII, VIII, IX and XII, so I can't add much in the way of discussion concerning which one is 'better' than which. I just decided to throw in Tales of Symphonia because that's my own personal nostalgia-driven JRPG that is objectively, factually perfect and nobody will ever prove me wrong! Actually, there are definitely parts of Symphonia that I dislike, but damn it all do I still love that son'bitch.

EDIT: Oh, I also recently gave FFVI a try but, for me that game has not aged well at all so I didn't get very far in that.

God, the Tales games. If ever a game was saved by its combat. They have some alright songs, and the characters... well, some of them have an interesting look to them, but goddamn do I hate whoever writes their dialogue and narrative and gives them their dumb cliches. I can't play those games anymore. I tried Vesperia and I just couldn't take it anymore after Abyss and... I think it was Legendia. The game with the guy with white hair.

It's the same reason I hate Valkyria Chronicles 2. I mean, sure the first game was undoubtedly an anime plot, but it handled itself well enough. But by the second one, its just bashing you over the head with stupidity.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By CL60
    @Karkarov

@CL60 said:

@Karkarov

You are right sir! That sentence is ass, let me re-phase. I have beaten every FF through X. Due to being MMO's FFXI and XIV obviously don't count. I am just saying that I am not one of these dudes who hasn't played the modern ones and hates the new games out of some false nostalgia. Though I will freely admit I have never played 13 and 13-2 mostly because they just look terrible on all levels except for graphics. I have heard decent stuff about 13-2 at least.

Edit for further clarity ;p

Oh, okay. That makes more sense, I thought that you thought X was an MMO for a minute there.
    AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#311  Edited By AssInAss
    @Brodehouse Dude, watch Angel's Egg for Amano's art, can't deny its beauty.
    smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312  Edited By smokeyd123

@AssInAss: Amano did the art for Angel's Egg? Huh, you learn something everyday.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@AssInAss
    @Brodehouse Dude, watch Angel's Egg for Amano's art, can't deny its beauty.
    I'm not saying Amano's art isn't pretty, but if his art defined Square for the last 15 years, we'd be as sick of it as Nomura's. "oh great another effeminate albino with billowing hair and silk clothes" instead of belts and zippers we'd be mad about earrings and printed clothes.
    oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314  Edited By oldenglishc

Can we all just agree that Grandia was the best RPG on PS1, and get on with our lives?

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315  Edited By joshthebear

I'm surprised this hasn't been locked yet.

Also VII is great, no matter what anyone says. Now VIII on the other hand....

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#316  Edited By warchief

I know it hurts but the truth is FF VII was terrible when compared to the earlier games, and yes it IS responsible for the downfall of the series.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By Karkarov

@oldenglishC said:

Can we all just agree that Grandia was the best RPG on PS1, and get on with our lives?

Other than FFVII, yeah I can agree. Grandia 1 was a great freaking game. It is too bad the series took a nose dive after Grandia 2.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318  Edited By Leptok

Oh Jesus, what have I done?

camp7203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319  Edited By camp7203

I really liked 9 most of all. 10 was great but playing it again the voice-overs are sub par (like resident evil 1 quality). I loved the battle system of 12 as well.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#320  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@Leptok said:

Oh Jesus, what have I done?

You ruined everything!!!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#321  Edited By monkeyking1969

I don't get the FFVII hate either...smart people know all the game since FF6 are garbage. People should hate with steadfast equality the "hot liquid sewage" that comprises the series from FF7 to FF14.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy IX is the only good Final Fantasy game.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#323  Edited By Paliv

Won't lay off because I didn't even like it when it first came out.

RAMBO604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324  Edited By RAMBO604

FF7 is still one of my favorite games. I wasn't very big into video games before I played it, had a 2600 and a Genesis but never really got that into games. My older bro was into them and I played 7 on his PS1 while visiting him at college and loved it, got my own a few days later and havn't turned back since.

I honestly don't understand the hate in the least, it may be overrated but I think at this point 6 is more overrated simply because of the 7 haters overreacting. It's story aside from shitty translation issues is great the characters are fine and it has the best battle system of any Final Fantasy game. The graphics are ugly but pretty much every PS1 game looks like garbage now.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325  Edited By HellBrendy

@BoG said:

@HellBrendy said:

I hold FF VII as my favorite game of all times (Portal on second), and I don't see why this is "overboard".

You make a valid point with this statement. Of course, while I've always called Metal Gear Solid my personal favorite game, I don't think it's the uncontested greatest game of all time. I say "overboard" because there are many fans who would claim it to be the objective best game of all time, failing to see how other games have been better and more influential to the industry as a whole. We're all going to have different stories, however. We don't all play games in the same order. Breath of Fire III is more important in my own personal gaming history than FFVII, and I prefer it. BoF III was my first RPG, so I think it's understandable that I love the game for unique reasons.

So, we agree then! I have no problems seeing why someone wouldn't enjoy FF VII, but for me it was the first jrpg, one of the first games I actually owned my self and the first time I went into a game with heart and soul. I don't agree with a game being good just because it's influecal though, but that's another discussion.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#326  Edited By Brad

@GunslingerPanda said:

They don't like VII because they are old men. Similar to why the people who grew up with VII don't like XIII.

This is a really bad argument considering I like 8 and 10 a heck of a lot.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327  Edited By algertman

@Brad said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

They don't like VII because they are old men. Similar to why the people who grew up with VII don't like XIII.

Between 1-10 those 2 are the worst of them.

Also 13 is a horrible game. Anyone I know personally that likes 13 has horrible taste in everything.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#328  Edited By BoG

@HellBrendy said:

@BoG said:

@HellBrendy said:

I hold FF VII as my favorite game of all times (Portal on second), and I don't see why this is "overboard".

You make a valid point with this statement. Of course, while I've always called Metal Gear Solid my personal favorite game, I don't think it's the uncontested greatest game of all time. I say "overboard" because there are many fans who would claim it to be the objective best game of all time, failing to see how other games have been better and more influential to the industry as a whole. We're all going to have different stories, however. We don't all play games in the same order. Breath of Fire III is more important in my own personal gaming history than FFVII, and I prefer it. BoF III was my first RPG, so I think it's understandable that I love the game for unique reasons.

So, we agree then! I have no problems seeing why someone wouldn't enjoy FF VII, but for me it was the first jrpg, one of the first games I actually owned my self and the first time I went into a game with heart and soul. I don't agree with a game being good just because it's influecal though, but that's another discussion.

Totally agreed. I do care about how influential a game is in some discussions, but when discussing personal favorites, all that matters is what has been influential to us as an individual.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#329  Edited By Humanity

@algertman said:

@Brad said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

Also 13 is a horrible game. Anyone I know personally that likes 13 has horrible taste in everything.

13 has redeeming qualities that no one wanted to see because in all honesty that game kinda unhitched and went off the Final Fantasy rails. The battle system was really interesting and once you get past some of the annoyances in the beginning the story is actually pretty damn good for a Final Fantasy game. Theres still a ton of hokey "destiny" and taking control of your life stuff put in there but at the end of the day you can kind of tell someone what the game was about which is more than you can say for some of the previous games in the series. The biggest shortcoming of FF13 was not character design - which was great, the combat which was also great or the story but rather the lack of an overworld and ability to do menial quests that define open ended gameplay. Although we all know that having that open world map would only result in going to caves to recover some bullshit items to bring back to the quest giver - it would still undeniably create the illusion of open ended gameplay that RPGs desperately need.

In short, no FF13 is not a terrible game - it's just not a very good Final Fantasy game, but even at that I wouldn't call it "horrible"

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#330  Edited By Hailinel

@algertman said:

@Brad said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

OPINIONS.

I really enjoyed VIII and X. But I couldn't stomach FFV for the life of me.

Also, Final Fantasy XIII is awesome, so whatever. You'd do better to explain why all of these games are so terrible.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#331  Edited By Undeadpool

@The_Nubster said:

@Bell_End: Brad and Jeff said that they don't like FF7. Cue butthurt.

I love the notion that they see FFVII unfairly, but somehow FFVIII they're seeing through rose-tinted lenses. Cause THAT'S the one that the fanbase is clamoring for...

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#332  Edited By s-a-n-JR

@algertman said:

@Brad said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

This is the most retarded thing I've read in this thread thus far. You do realise taste is entirely subjective, right?

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#333  Edited By Brackynews

@Undeadpool: Of course. Because Seifer. ;)

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334  Edited By clstirens

@notdavid said:

The limited graphics make FF7 for me. They were forced to include a sense of style that the later games in the series gave up on. And I came to that game 10 years too late.

Yep. The "lego man" characters in 7 are charming to me, like early pixel sprites. A remake of 7 with updated graphics would be great ONLY if they could somehow recapture a lot of the charm, but I doubt they could.

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335  Edited By Orbitz89

I've never been able to get into any Final Fantasy game.. Let me ask you this, Why are you so seemingly offended by their overly aggressive dislike of this game? You say they're talking about the game "Like it blew up their PlayStation and Killed their dog with the plastic shrapnel" but do you have a whimpering, damn near suicidal copy of FF7 quivering in the corner of your room that you feel the need to defend? I just don't understand why you seem to be so upset over what two dudes think of a game you obviously enjoy. Does their vocal expression of their dislike for FF7 affect your enjoyment? If so, it really shouldn't.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336  Edited By Leptok
    @Orbitz89
    I've never been able to get into any Final Fantasy game.. Let me ask you this, Why are you so seemingly offended by their overly aggressive dislike of this game? You say they're talking about the game "Like it blew up their PlayStation and Killed their dog with the plastic shrapnel" but do you have a whimpering, damn near suicidal copy of FF7 quivering in the corner of your room that you feel the need to defend? I just don't understand why you seem to be so upset over what two dudes think of a game you obviously enjoy. Does their vocal expression of their dislike for FF7 affect your enjoyment? If so, it really shouldn't.
    No, it was the way they seemed to pile on the game itself for stuff that was done later. They seemed kind of bitter towards the game for the direction the series went.
    killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337  Edited By killacam

@clstirens said:

@notdavid said:

The limited graphics make FF7 for me. They were forced to include a sense of style that the later games in the series gave up on. And I came to that game 10 years too late.

Yep. The "lego man" characters in 7 are charming to me, like early pixel sprites. A remake of 7 with updated graphics would be great ONLY if they could somehow recapture a lot of the charm, but I doubt they could.

i... love you guys

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338  Edited By killacam

@Leptok said:

@Orbitz89
    No, it was the way they seemed to pile on the game itself for stuff that was done later. They seemed kind of bitter towards the game for the direction the series went.

jeff spent 200+ hours playing burnout paradise and cant even give FF7 the time of day. to each his own, i get it.. but these guys are supposed to be our source for game information and opinion, and that they blatantly disregard one of the most influential games of all time just doesn't seem right.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#339  Edited By JBG4

I understand it may not be as pretty as it seemed in 1997 but I can't stand the, "well, it doesn't hold up today" argument. I enjoyed the game a great deal, it was my favorite FF and I'm in my my mid 20's and have Played most of the numbered games in the series. Longtime gamers need to look at games for what they were when we played then and not allow our opinions to be easily skewed by others who may not have even played the game at all or at the least in the era they were released.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I respect that but at least be respectful when you voice it.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#340  Edited By evanbower

@killacam said:

@Leptok said:

@Orbitz89

jeff spent 200+ hours playing burnout paradise and cant even give FF7 the time of day. to each his own, i get it.. but these guys are supposed to be our source for game information and opinion, and that they blatantly disregard one of the most influential games of all time just doesn't seem right.

I say this with as much love as possible: They gave you their opinion on the game! You can't ask for their opinion, but then criticize them just because it doesn't validate yours!

I'm sorry, this argument is starting to get to all of us.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.