Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

My experience with FF13 on 360, so far

• 100 results
    Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mourne

There doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion about the game here on Giant Bomb even though the release date is right around the corner, but I had a chance to play the 360 version last night and thought I would report in a bit.

FF13 really is probably the best-looking game to date. I haven't played enough to comment on the story or gameplay at length, but it all does seem like a step-up compared to the disappointment that was FF12 (to me, anyway).

I've seen some random posts to the contrary (at least directed toward the 360 version), so I thought I would clear up the following: There is no mandatory install of any sort, and there are no actual (major, disconnecting, or otherwise frequent) load times whatsoever. Everything is very seamless and even the transition to battle and leaving it is usually no more than a fraction of a second. Square really outdid themselves by doing away with the usual RPG conventions of loading screens at every possible turn (or in The Last Remnant's case, not enough--nothing could save that mess).

I haven't played the PS3 version or seen it on my set-up/in-person, but I would imagine it looks much the same (or slightly better than the 360 version given that the game was originally conceived as a PS3 title). Nonetheless, if you're planning to pick up FF13 next week, you're likely to be satisfied no matter which system you pick it up on. There's a lot to like about it, from the characters to the surprisingly competent dub, to the change of pace with the battle system (that, to me, seems like an evolution to 12's that fixes its more glaring flaws).

I'm willing to answer questions, but I've only played a small percentage of it so far. I'll be playing more today, so if someone has a question they just really need answered, I'll check back in and see what I can do.

In short: Hey, it's already better than 12.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Interfect

Best looking game to date.... Ever heard of Crysis?

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Interfect said:
    " Best looking game to date. Ever heard of Crysis? "
    as long as he qualifies a console i don't think thats particularly bad. 

Thanks for the insight mourne.
    Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mourne
    @Interfect said:
    " Best looking game to date.... Ever heard of Crysis? "
    I have, and not only does it not look as sharp to me, it simply doesn't have the life that FF13 or even MGS4 has. It's all pretty and everything, but until it's actually applied, it really doesn't amount to much more than a tech demo (and given how shallow the gameplay was on Crysis, well--).

But sure, we'll say console-wise.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Interfect said:
    Crysis is drab and boring and has parts that look terrible mixed in with the good.
    Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Interfect
    @jadeskye: 

True.

@LiquidPrince: 
    We all have our opinions.
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @Interfect: I'm sure he meant on a console.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jadeskye
    @LiquidPrince said:

" @Interfect said:

Crysis is drab and boring and has parts that look terrible mixed in with the good. "
    i can see where you're coming from but i do not share your opinion sir. ^_^ 

anyway more talk about ff13! i have my collectors edition pre-ordered!
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @jadeskye said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:

" @Interfect said:

Crysis is drab and boring and has parts that look terrible mixed in with the good. "
    i can see where you're coming from but i do not share your opinion sir. ^_^  anyway more talk about ff13! i have my collectors edition pre-ordered! "
    What comes with the collectors edition?
    Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Interfect
    @jadeskye: 

Right. I kinda really wanna play FF13. I'm also one of  those persons who loved FF12. I also never finished it.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust

uhhhh is it a pirate copy? :p 

And despite the better graphics i still prefer my "disappointing" FFXII.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Mourne said:

"  FF13 really is probably the best-looking game to date. "

Stopped reading there. FF13 ingame doesn't look particularly good. Not even by console standards. Especially the environments are relatively bland and not very detailed despite being pretty linear.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @CptBedlam said:
    " @Mourne said:
    Stopped reading there. FF13 ingame doesn't look particularly good. "
    It actually does. I was playing the build you got when you originally purchased FFVII on Blu-ray and even then it looked pretty great.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Whisperkill

So, how is the voice acting?

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CptBedlam
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @CptBedlam said:
    " @Mourne said:
    It actually does. I was playing the build you got when you originally purchased FFVII on Blu-ray and even then it looked pretty great. "
    It only looks good by jrpg standards ... otherwise it's behind in most aspects. Especially when it comes to the environment.
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By rjaylee

So I guess my question is, being one of those people that has been jaded from the Final Fantasy series since 7 and 8, what is it about FF13 that should make a compelling case for me to come back to the series? 

Just FYI, I've been put off by the series since then because to be frank, I thought the series has simply become too emo, and too far over the top with drama. It probably doesn't help I haven't played anything within the J-RPG realm since those games either, so maybe my gaming tastes have changed and moved away from that. What I think is unfortunate, is that previous to FF8, I enjoyed just about every Square RPG I could, but nothing after that.

lukusluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lukusluke
    @Mourne said:
    it really doesn't amount to much more than a tech demo (and given how shallow the gameplay was on Crysis, well--). "
    I find your statement as shallow as you find the gameplay. Final Fantasy looks amazing in it's own unique way, like all of the greatest games of this generation.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jadeskye
    @LiquidPrince said:

" @jadeskye said:

" @LiquidPrince said:

" @Interfect said:

i can see where you're coming from but i do not share your opinion sir. ^_^  anyway more talk about ff13! i have my collectors edition pre-ordered! "
    What comes with the collectors edition? "
    http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/13530465/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Limited-Collector-Edition/Product.html
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @CptBedlam said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @CptBedlam said:
    " @Mourne said:
    It actually does. I was playing the build you got when you originally purchased FFVII on Blu-ray and even then it looked pretty great. "
    It only looks good by jrpg standards ... otherwise it's behind in most aspects. Especially when it comes to the environment. "
    It's not lush and vast like games such as Uncharted 2 or God of War III but the world has pretty high resolution textures and the character models all look really great and highly detailed.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CptBedlam

Btw, even though I'm mostly a console gamer I'm pretty sick of hearing about Crysis' gameplay being oh so shallow and stupid. In reality, Crysis has a much more interesting gameplay than most other shooters out there. It's not just graphics; it's also a very well executed shooter.

Crysis being shallow is just a typical (anti)fanboy argument mostly made by people who didn't even play it much or at all.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jadeskye
    @CptBedlam said:
    " Btw, even though I'm mostly a console gamer I'm pretty sick of hearing about Crysis' gameplay being oh so shallow and stupid. In reality, Crysis has a much more interesting gameplay than most other shooters out there. It's not just graphics; it's also a very well executed shooter.  Crysis being shallow is just a typical (anti)fanboy argument mostly made by people who didn't even play it much or at all. "
    i agree. If i was to critique it i would say it's linear. I still enjoy it and warhead. =) 

and it's a great benchmark test for your PC.
    Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mourne
    @lukusluke said:
    "I find your statement as shallow as you find the gameplay. Final Fantasy looks amazing in it's own unique way, like all of the greatest games of this generation."
    That's OK, I suppose. Hopefully Crysis 2 will try to not be a clone of every other successful FPS next time 'round. 

(I can't help but think you misunderstood the context, maybe? Dunno, I could be the one misreading it.)

@LiquidPrince said:
    " @CptBedlam said:
    " @Mourne said:
    Indeed. I think some people will change their minds once they see it in action. Hell, even those early environments from that demo (which is actually the very, very beginning of the game)  don't do it justice. There are some really vibrant environments in this game.

If I really had to knock it for anything, I would say that in battle, given that everything is zoomed out to a distance, the character models and such kind of go to waste. But in cut-scenes, everything really does look fairly tremendous.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CptBedlam
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @CptBedlam said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @CptBedlam said:
    " @Mourne said:
    It only looks good by jrpg standards ... otherwise it's behind in most aspects. Especially when it comes to the environment. "
    It's not lush and vast like games such as Uncharted 2 or God of War III but the world has pretty high resolution textures and the character models all look really great and highly detailed. "
    Character models is pretty much the only thing this game does really well when it comes to graphics. But it's not like that's the only game with good character models. There are already games out there with better character models.

The environments are pretty linear and confined but still they look empty, blocky and devoid of details.
    Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mourne
    @CptBedlam said:
    "Crysis being shallow is just a typical (anti)fanboy argument mostly made by people who didn't even play it much or at all."
    I own and beat Crysis and thought it was a good game but far from a great one. I'm not sure why anyone would be fanboying/anti-fanboying about a game that isn't even part of an established franchise or even part of the console war situation, though; Crysis is what it is.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Mourne said:

" @CptBedlam said:

"Crysis being shallow is just a typical (anti)fanboy argument mostly made by people who didn't even play it much or at all."

I own and beat Crysis and thought it was a good game but far from a great one. I'm not sure why anyone would be fanboying/anti-fanboying about a game that isn't even part of an established franchise or even part of the console war situation, though; Crysis is what it is. "
    Crysis is a shooter and you can't just compare it to an rpg and call it shallow. Compare it to other shooters. Most of them don't do more than Crysis, quite the opposite.
    Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Clinkz
    @CptBedlam said:
    " @Mourne said:
    " @CptBedlam said:
    I own and beat Crysis and thought it was a good game but far from a great one. I'm not sure why anyone would be fanboying/anti-fanboying about a game that isn't even part of an established franchise or even part of the console war situation, though; Crysis is what it is. "
    Crysis is a shooter and you can't just compare it to and rpg call it shallow. Compare it to other shooters. Most of them don't do more than Crysis, quite the opposite. "
    I've played through Crysis. I can tell you that it is shallow. Can we go back to talking about FFXIII please?
    lukusluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lukusluke

I approve of this thread being taken over by Crysis.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CptBedlam
    @Clinkz said:
    " @CptBedlam said:
    " @Mourne said:
    " @CptBedlam said:
    Crysis is a shooter and you can't just compare it to and rpg call it shallow. Compare it to other shooters. Most of them don't do more than Crysis, quite the opposite. "
    I've played through Crysis. I can tell you that it is shallow. Can we go back to talking about FFXIII please? "
    No, tell me why Crysis is shallow and why other shooters aren't.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LiquidPrince

Continue this discussion on the Crysis boards or in a private message and stop derailing this thread.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jadeskye
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Continue this discussion on the Crysis boards or in a private message and stop derailing this thread. "
    lol this. it's crysis-mania in here.
    lukusluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lukusluke
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Continue this discussion on the Crysis boards or in a private message and stop derailing this thread. "
    The E-police are here, everyone run!
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CptBedlam
    @LiquidPrince said:

" FF13 really is probably the best-looking game to date." ...this was written in the first post. People disagree and cite examples. Do you have a problem with that?
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By delta_ass

Wait... did you pirate the game or something?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @CptBedlam said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:

" FF13 really is probably the best-looking game to date." ...this was written in the first post. People disagree and cite examples. Do you have a problem with that? "
    You disagree, fine. This thread is to discuss why you disagree or agree, not to compare it to another game, or talk about why Crysis is considered more shallow then another shooter. If you want to continue that discussion take it to the Crysis forums, or to a private message.
    Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Mourne
    @CptBedlam said:
    " Crysis is a shooter and you can't just compare it to an rpg and call it shallow. Compare it to other shooters. Most of them don't do more than Crysis, quite the opposite. "
    I wasn't comparing it to FF13 directly but instead noting that its graphics do not match its contents and that it simply is not as dynamic a shooter as you'd like to believe. I know you feel compelled to defend it, but the visuals just don't compliment the game enough to ensure a well-rounded product. Done talking about Crysis for the year already, though. I'll get in touch come 2011.
    sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sixpin
    @CptBedlam said: 

@LiquidPrince said: 

" FF13 really is probably the best-looking game to date." ...this was written in the first post. People disagree and cite examples. Do you have a problem with that? "
    I think what he has a problem with isn't that people think Crysis looks good, but that the thread turned into a flame-bait argument over the finer details of the quality of Crysis as a game. The thread was intended to share his opinion on FF XIII, not debate the merits of a 2+ year-old FPS.    
    Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mourne
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " Wait... did you pirate the game or something? "
    Direct discussion of piracy isn't permitted on Giant Bomb, but there are retailers breaking the street date as usual.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By ProfessorEss

I've never been a big fan of the franchise, but I gotta say the visuals have certainly piqued my interest.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mourne
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " I've never been a big fan of the franchise, but I gotta say the visuals have certainly piqued my interest. "
    One positive aspect of that is that, even if you had never played a Final Fantasy before, it'd be perfectly acceptable to start with this installment and go back to the others after the fact should you enjoy it. Right now, I would say it's definitely a game I recommend. It's seeming to be a pretty long game, so I think you'll get your money's worth either way.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CptBedlam
    @LiquidPrince said:
    You disagree, fine. This thread is to discuss why you disagree or agree, not to compare it to another game, or talk about why Crysis is considered more shallow then another shooter. If you want to continue that discussion take it to the Crysis forums, or to a private message. "
    @sixpin said:
    I think what he has a problem with isn't that people think Crysis looks good, but that the thread turned into a flame-bait argument over the finer details of the quality of Crysis as a game. The thread was intended to share his opinion on FF XIII, not debate the merits of a 2+ year-old FPS.     "

Hey, don't flame on me. I didn't bring up Crysis nor did I call it shallow. I just defended it when this came up.
    haoshiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By haoshiro

I'd be happy to talk about Crysis; in another thread.   

As for FF13 I can't decide if I should get it on PS3 or 360, part of me just wants to encourage their decision to go multi-platform... and another part of me likes the idea of achievements over trophies. 

Have they done away with pre-rendered CG cutscenes and gone all in-game engine for that?

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mourne

@Haoshiro said:

" I'd be happy to talk about Crysis; in another thread.    As for FF13 I can't decide if I should get it on PS3 or 360, part of me just wants to encourage their decision to go multi-platform... and another part of me likes the idea of achievements over trophies.  Have they done away with pre-rendered CG cutscenes and gone all in-game engine for that? "

Not everything is in-engine, nope--there are still quite a few FMVs in the game, which actually blend very nicely with the usual graphics (unlike the disconnect we used to have back on the PSX).

As for which system to get it on, I guess that'll come down to which way you sway on the bits you mentioned, but if you do go 360, I doubt you'll be disappointed. It's all intact and looks and plays just fine. I haven't actually looked at the achievements yet, but I know there are 35 (and you unlock one worth 15G at the very beginning, so let's just say 34). I got tired of reading achievements in story-based games because of just how much they spoiled in the descriptions, so I can't really say what's what at this point (although I'm sure they're out there elsewhere on the net, and probably like the trophies for the most part).
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Mourne said:

" and there are no actual load times whatsoever."

HOLY CRAP!

Seriously?  Truly!?  That's freakin' awesome!

Oh, and what do you think about the combat system?  I saw Giant Bomb's "Ask me anything" video, and I found it extremely interesting.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By spazmaster666

I don't really want to ask this since it has already caused a lot of controversy but I still gotta ask: does the game look like it's running at 720p native, or upscaled from 576p? I realize it's probably hard to tell just by looking at it, but does it look less sharp than other 360 games which run at native 720p?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @CptBedlam said:
    " @Mourne said:

Stopped reading there. FF13 ingame doesn't look particularly good. Not even by console standards. Especially the environments are relatively bland and not very detailed despite being pretty linear. "
    I think the graphics in the game actually do look really quite nice..  Although the style, setting and environments really don't do anything for me at all.
    Decided to cancel my pre-order of the game, will probably still pick it up when it's cheap..  but it's feeling pretty meh for me all around, especially after RPG's like Mass Effect 2.
    sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sixpin
    @CptBedlam said:
     Hey, don't flame on me. I didn't bring up Crysis nor did I call it shallow. I just defended it when this came up. "
    Nobody that you quoted flamed you. Just pointing out the diversion of topic that this thread was suffering from. 

I'm pretty excited to play FF XIII. I hope it is as good as I want it to be. The long development cycle and confusing descriptions of the combat system have me worried. As far as what platform to play it on... I am a little torn. I know I'll get it for PS3 due to it being developed for it originally, but I crave some 360 Achievements. Trophies just don't do anything for me like Achievements do - I'm not sure why exactly.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By Animasta

Despite what the OP says, if you have a big HD TV you should probably get it for the PS3 if you can. I don't think it'd matter if your playing on a smaller TV though, but that's just speculation.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @Interfect said:
    who the hell invited the crysis fanboys?!?!! GAAAAHHHH!!!!!!
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By TheHBK

Is it still turn based combat?  Is it open world really?  Otherwise, we can just forget about what you said about it getting rid of RPG conventions.  Those got rid of a long time ago.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jadeskye
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @Interfect said:
    who the hell invited the crysis fanboys?!?!! GAAAAHHHH!!!!!! "
    The Crygod. 
    Also the Diety of choice for emos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.