Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

So now the 360 version looks better?

• 111 results
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#51  Edited By spazmaster666

Obviously since FF13 was most likely designed in the beginning as primarily for the PS3, the 360 version will no doubt be inferior in certain ways. For instance, the gorgeous HDR lighting in the PS3 version will likely be pared down (there hasn't really been true HDR lighting on the 360) to MDR so that it can still maintain 2xAA at 720p (very few 360 titles have used HDR and that's usually at the cost of sub-HD resolutions ala Halo 3). On the other hand, PS3 is noticeably weaker with alpha textures, something that isn't an issue for the 360 due to the eDRAM. As for the cutscenes, well unless you have a high end home theater setup, PCM audio isn't really going to mean much, though having cut scenes rendered at 1080p with 4xAA would be pretty nice. However, ultimately the question that I care about the most still has not really been addressed: what about the frame rate? If one version looks a little crisper than the other but doesn't perform as well, guess which version I prefer?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By natetodamax

Is it possible for you to link to something that doesn't require registration? Also, you care about graphics too much.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By KaosAngel
    @spazmaster666 said:
    " Obviously since FF13 was most likely designed in the beginning as primarily for the PS3, the 360 version will no doubt be inferior in certain ways. For instance, the gorgeous HDR lighting in the PS3 version will likely be pared down (there hasn't really been true HDR lighting on the 360) to MDR so that it can still maintain 2xAA at 720p (very few 360 titles have used HDR and that's usually at the cost of sub-HD resolutions ala Halo 3). On the other hand, PS3 is noticeably weaker with alpha textures, something that isn't an issue for the 360 due to the eDRAM. As for the cutscenes, well unless you have a high end home theater setup, PCM audio isn't really going to mean much, though having cut scenes rendered at 1080p with 4xAA would be pretty nice. However, ultimately the question that I care about the most still has not really been addressed: what about the frame rate? If one version looks a little crisper than the other but doesn't perform as well, guess which version I prefer? "
    There's no frame drop for PS3, never has been.  I never had slow down, and I doubt the NA version would.
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @Bubahula said:
    " @vidiot said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @KaosAngel said: 
    " WHO THE FUCK CARES?!  THE GAME SUCKS AND IS WORSE THAN FINAL FANTASY IX AND FINAL FANTASY X-2 AND THE BOUNCER!   
       @KaosAngel  said: 
    "     FIGHT TO MAKE SURE VERSUS XIII DOESN'T GET THE SAME SHIT-TREATMENT THAT FF13 GOT! "
    @KaosAngel said:
    "
    If fucking Square takes away Numura's dream game with Versus XIII and makes it similar to this shit in FF13, I will freak out.  Numura said so himself that the true version and most important version is going to be Versus XIII. "
    @KaosAngel said:
    "
    Read my review and the disapointment thread.  This game gave me mixed feelings.  >.>    I'm waiting for Versus XIII to redeem this Nova Crystalis series. "
    HOLY SHIT! Dude we get it! You hate 13, but love Versus. You can stop posting the same thing over and over again. "
    I second this statement. "
    and i third. although those posts did make me chuckle a bit. "
    I fourth this.  Although I find KaosAngel's comment rather...sad.  It's like a child screaming his head out at a dinner party.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By spazmaster666
    @KaosAngel said:
    There's no frame drop for PS3, never has been.  I never had slow down, and I doubt the NA version would. "  
    Based on the footage I've seen (including the footage that was posted here), there are definitely slow downs during battle portions. There's got to be. There's always a limit to how many assets on screen the engine can handle before it starts to get bogged down. I've yet to see 360 footage so it's hard to compare at this point. Square Enix has always said that the two will turn out to be more or less equivalent but we've seen that on some cross-platform games, the PS3 version looks sharper but doesn't perform as consistently (i.e Dragon Age). That's not really my point though. My point was that no one has really talked about performance, which is the issue that I care more about than minor technical differences.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Pessh

Why the fuck does it matter. You'd never notice unless you played the two side by side anyway. Come on dudes...

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By ravensword
    @Pessh:

You can say the same about Bayonetta on PS3. If you never saw it on 360, you might think, "eh, it looks ok". that dosent change the fact that its still worse on PS3.
    Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Terry_Bogard
    @KaosAngel said:
    " WHO THE FUCK CARES?!  THE GAME SUCKS AND IS WORSE THAN FINAL FANTASY IX AND FINAL FANTASY X-2 AND THE BOUNCER!  People should be complaining and protesting to Square about them not fucking up Numura's dream with Versus XIII, the REAL version of Final Fantasy XIII. "
    >,> You are horrible ! The Bouncer and FFIX both kick ass.... X-2 had a neat battle system.. I guess... so yeah... :p
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By KaosAngel
    @spazmaster666 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    There's no frame drop for PS3, never has been.  I never had slow down, and I doubt the NA version would. "  
    Based on the footage I've seen (including the footage that was posted here), there are definitely slow downs during battle portions. There's got to be. There's always a limit to how many assets on screen the engine can handle before it starts to get bogged down. I've yet to see 360 footage so it's hard to compare at this point. Square Enix has always said that the two will turn out to be more or less equivalent but we've seen that on some cross-platform games, the PS3 version looks sharper but doesn't perform as consistently (i.e Dragon Age). That's not really my point though. My point was that no one has really talked about performance, which is the issue that I care more about than minor technical differences. "
    There's no performance drop, ask anyone else who has played it. 
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Terry_Bogard said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " WHO THE FUCK CARES?!  THE GAME SUCKS AND IS WORSE THAN FINAL FANTASY IX AND FINAL FANTASY X-2 AND THE BOUNCER!  People should be complaining and protesting to Square about them not fucking up Numura's dream with Versus XIII, the REAL version of Final Fantasy XIII. "
    >,> You are horrible ! The Bouncer and FFIX both kick ass.... X-2 had a neat battle system.. I guess... so yeah... :p "
    FF9 was the worst one, let's be serious for a second.  >.>  

Who in their drunk mind would say The Bouncer was good?
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By spazmaster666
    @KaosAngel said:

There's no performance drop, ask anyone else who has played it.  "

Sorry, but that's not possible. There will always be frame rate dips when there are a certain number of assets on screen (how many depends on the engine). It happens with EVERY game, no matter how good the engine is. The hardware is irrelevant in this case since it's the engine that's causing the slowdown, not the hardware.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ravensword

Apparently another site says it looks more crisper in game on 360:  

http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/02/12/final-fantasy-xiii-xbox-360-hands-on-preview/  

"Whereas the Xbox 360 looks a lot crisper than its PS3 counterpart during general gameplay, it is clear to see that the cinematics on the Xbox 360 version have suffered as a result of compression – evidently to fit them onto DVD’s – and therefore don’t seem as vivid or sharp as on PS3. However I must point out that such a difference is barely noticeable and for all those looking at picking up the Xbox 360 version, you have nothing at all to fear about it being an inferior port – both are easily on par with each other  "   

Thats two sites now. Im still going to wait for a comparison.
    Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Terry_Bogard
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Terry_Bogard said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    >,> You are horrible ! The Bouncer and FFIX both kick ass.... X-2 had a neat battle system.. I guess... so yeah... :p "
    FF9 was the worst one, let's be serious for a second.  >.>    Who in their drunk mind would say The Bouncer was good? "
    I would >,> 
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By KaosAngel
    @spazmaster666 said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

There's no performance drop, ask anyone else who has played it.  "

Sorry, but that's not possible. There will always be frame rate dips when there are a certain number of assets on screen (how many depends on the engine). It happens with EVERY game, no matter how good the engine is. The hardware is irrelevant in this case since it's the engine that's causing the slowdown, not the hardware. "
    Dude, I beat the game and own almost all the trophies.  I haven't noticed anything.  Ask the users here who beat it.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By spazmaster666
    @KaosAngel said:

Dude, I beat the game and own almost all the trophies.  I haven't noticed anything.  Ask the users here who beat it. "

So you're telling me that there was no point in the game where the frame rate dipped below 30 FPS (which is what this game is capped at)? Every single video I've seen of the game (that is people playing the retail version) I've seen slow down, though it doesn't make a big impact on the playability of the game. There's no such thing as the perfect graphics engine. Even pre-rendered 3D cut-scenes will sometimes have slow down.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By KaosAngel
    @spazmaster666: Uh, really?  I play UT2k4 at over 100 FPS and it never drops.  :-\
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By spazmaster666
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @spazmaster666: Uh, really?  I play UT2k4 at over 100 FPS and it never drops.  :-\ "
    With enough assets on screen it will. It all depends on how many assets are on screen at the time. Anyway, UT2k4 definitely has slow down, it's just less noticeable since it's such an outdated engine (i.e. if 100 fps goes down 60 fps, that's significant but not noticeable). 
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#68  Edited By JJWeatherman

Yeah... This doesn't need to exist. As stated by others, it's hard to tell the difference unless you are really looking. They're equal.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@KaosAngel said:

" @spazmaster666: Uh, really?  I play UT2k4 at over 100 FPS and it never drops.  :-\ "

Bullshit. Double Bullshit with extra serve Bullshit fries on the side.  Unless you play @ 1024x768 or lower UT2K4 does OFTEN drop below 100FPS even on the most advanced Core i7 chips.  Reason being it's utterly unoptimised for multithreading so once its assets are too many and too frequent to track (due to more map and assets rendering due to higher resolutions) it will certainly slow down because its down to windows to shift off the thread overload onto other cores and its not how the engine was designed.  Also, pulling in an example of a 7 year old game engine (UW2.5) does not prove that a modern game engine on a modern system does not experience slow down.  Awful choice for red herring btw.  People who have a much better technical handle on things have discussed Bayonetta's PS3 release without bias in detail and proved that the PS3 version is the poorer of the two, so just stop.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#70  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I find it very ironic that now PS3 users are saying that graphical difference doesn't matter.. 
    Not saying that type of thing is important, but the complete reversal of opinions is always amusing to watch.

Regardless, I could care less for either version.  Tried to hype myself up about the game, but it just looks awful.

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#71  Edited By ReaperOfLiving
    @KaosAngel said:

" This is why I don't want this coming out in NA, you got the idiots who just compare graphics between the two consoles...when the real issue is Square Enix making this shitty game.  So fuck the idiots who care more about TEH 360 HAS GRAPHICS AND POS3 HAS CGI, and open your fucking eyes that Square Enix is just doing it to make this shitty game passable.    FIGHT TO MAKE SURE VERSUS XIII DOESN'T GET THE SAME SHIT-TREATMENT THAT FF13 GOT! "

It won't suck if it is exclusive.  It will be much much much better.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#72  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @KaosAngel said:
    Jesus Christ, I'm not sure you could possibly be more bipolar about your opinion of this game.@Skytylz said:
    " not getting it any ways so i don't care, i like rpg's but jrpg's are falling behind the times. "
    There are so many posts like this in every FFXIII thread.  It's like there's a legion of Final Fantasy haters hanging out on the forums, preparing to swoop down anytime anyone mentions the game.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#73  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Terry_Bogard said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    FF9 was the worst one, let's be serious for a second.  >.>    Who in their drunk mind would say The Bouncer was good? "
    That's your opinion.  Where I'm concerned, FFIX and X stand as the series' hallmarks, where FFVII and VIII are shit.
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@KaosAngel: People have different opinions from you. Please stop being so annoying.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ravensword
    Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Questionable

Lead platform > port

The 360 is supposed to be tons easier to program for than the PS3 so i wouldn't expect any differences as big as would they have swapped the two about.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Raven_Sword said:
    "
    lol, apparently SE released Doctored photos of the 360 version, where they just took the PS3 version and Phototshopped a 360 bumper. http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-6894-Video-Game-News-Examiner~y2010m2d13-Square-Enix-responds-to-doctored-FFXIII-screens   So maybe it dosent look better after all. "
    I'd assume Gamespot weren't basing their comparasion on these screenshots.
    Regardless, using the same screenshots with photoshopped menu's/controls is fairly common practice.

We'll have to wait until we get some proper footage released.  But my guess is that there's very little difference between the two.  The engine was designed to be easily ported to other systems after all.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By get2sammyb

Who cares? There's going to be no difference between the two at the end of the day.

People will analyse it until the cows come home, but it ain't happening.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ravensword
    @WinterSnowblind:

There have been Multiplatform engines that didnt perform as well on PS3 though, so maybe this is another case of that. RE 5s engine used a Multipatlform engine, and it still looked better on 360.
    Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#80  Edited By Psytek

It's a console game, anyone deluding themselves into thinking the graphics are that important does't understand the way graphics technology moves. 

There were better looking games on PC 5 years ago than the best looking PS3/360 games, and at about 4 times the resolution. Playing console games for the graphics is like drinking paint for the flavour.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Psytek said:
    " It's a console game, anyone deluding themselves into thinking the graphics are that important does't understand the way graphics technology moves.  There were better looking games on PC 5 years ago than the best looking PS3/360 games, and at about 4 times the resolution. Playing console games for the graphics is like drinking paint for the flavour. "
    Finally, someone speaks the truth and to end this fucking fanboy bullshit.  Say what you want about Uncharted 2, but Crysis still looks better and runs at a higher frame rate.  Shit, HL2 looks better than most 360 games, and barely needs a $400 PC to run that high.
    bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82  Edited By bretthancock

It will likely be 99% the same but wasn't the PS3 version in development for a year before the 360 version was started?  Either way I'm buying it for PS3 for nothing more then the nostalgia of playing FF7 on a Sony console.

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By j_drace

From the screen shots that I saw the XBOX 360 version does look crisper, but it's very very hard to notice..  I think it's just the way the 360 renders it's graphics because for all multi platform games the PS3 looks softer.  Anyway here is a link to the screen shots.

Final Fantasy XIII Comparison Link

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By CL60
    @Vito_Raliffe said:
    " @KaosAngel: People have different opinions from you. Please stop being so annoying. "
    This..
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By eclipsesis

I think the joke is on the people comparing the screen shots because these are the screens which are all PS3 with 360 control overlays, do none of you read Kotaku?

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

1 Disc >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @eclipsesis said:
    " I think the joke is on the people comparing the screen shots because these are the screens which are all PS3 with 360 control overlays, do none of you read Kotaku? "
    This topic has nothing to do with these screenshots, or people on here comparing images of any sort.  Do you not read the topic?
    Just to reiterate, several gaming sites who've played both versions of the game have claimed the 360 version looks better.

@DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " 1 Disc >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> "

This has all been discussed before, but come on.  You can't honestly say one version is better than another just because of the amount of discs used.  Many people have said they want it on the Playstation because that's where they played FF7.  It had three discs there and made absolutely no difference to the gameplay.  I can assure you that nobody playing on the 360 is going to even blink an eye when they have to take 10 seconds to switch discs.
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By SonicFire

Bottom line, if you have the option, you'll probably be better served by playing the primary version instead of the port. But it's not going to be a major issue either way. I have a hard time imagining the X360 version being broken. It's extremely unlikely that the 360 version will look better though, just like I can't see Uncharted 2 running on the 360.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Burns098356GX

I dont get what the big deal is about multiple discs are with the 360. I'm just gonna install the entire thing and be done with it. I'm still going to buy it for 360 simply because my PS3 has been the biggest letdown and waste of 300 bucks ever.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @j_drace said:
    " From the screen shots that I saw the XBOX 360 version does look crisper, but it's very very hard to notice..  I think it's just the way the 360 renders it's graphics because for all multi platform games the PS3 looks softer.  Anyway here is a link to the screen shots.

Final Fantasy XIII Comparison Link
    "
    I honestly can't tell a difference, other then the L1/LB button icon. They look identical to me.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#91  Edited By Evilsbane

I have both systems, if the PS3 version shows it is the superior version (Graphics wise, yes I like my games pretty sue me) than I will play it on that console, but if they are so close that you can't even tell I will get it for the 360 so I can get some Achievements. (Sorry trophies are bleh)

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @WinterSnowblind:  We didn't have a choice with FF7,  I hate swaping disc in ME2, its 2010... I don't wanna swap disc...
    jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By jNerd

I'll be getting FF on my 360, even though I own a PS3, just for the achievements.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#94  Edited By OllyOxenFree

DEM POINTZ, MAN! DEM POINTZ!

Animespara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Animespara
    was getting the 360 version anyways..
     I always buy multiplatform games for my 360.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#96  Edited By Whisperkill
    @TerraDelu said:
    " Points dudes. I'll be playing this on my 360 for points. I am a simple man. "
    haha same.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#97  Edited By TheHBK

Not hard to believe considering how Bayonetta turned out.  Extreme case yes, but I think the 360 may be easier to make games for and games with Japanese graphics (no bump mapping or pixel shaders) it is easier to make the game look good.  Games with that kind of stuff look so good on the PS3 like Uncharted and Unreal Tournament 3.  Not saying the 360 cant do that stuff, but it is easier to make the game on the 360 when it doesnt have that compared to making it on the PS3.  When it does have pixel shaders, would say that the 360 still easier but not much.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#98  Edited By demontium
    @Raven_Sword said:
    "
    http://www.n4g.com/News-474827.aspx       Apparently, according to gamespot, the 360 version has a Crisper in game image, while the PS3 version has better cinematics. This is a complete flip to what sites like IGn have said, where they said the 360 version is noticeably less crisp. I dont know who to believe, I guess I have to wait for comparisons. "
    Framerate.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By ravensword
    @demontium:

No, theyre talking about the image quality.
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By j_drace

I think for the most part the consoles have the same graphics, not just with this game, but with all the others too.  Usually the majority of the difference is that the 360 renders images more crisp and vibrant and the PS3 more smooth.  If you have ever compared HDMI to VGA then 360 is HDMI and PS3 is VGA, they both look the same graphics wise one is just more vibrant.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.