Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Was it bad for Square to include Microsoft in the FFXIII launch?

• 80 results
    REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By REDRUN

Personally, I thought it was a great idea for a Final Fantasy title to be playable on another platform. I figured its great revenue for the company to keep the company in business in order to keep making masterpieces. Then I came across a headline on Kotaku.com saying FF fans were too sensitive about the 360.  I left the link below.

http://kotaku.com/5492071/final-fantasy-fans-are-far-too-sensitive-about-the-xbox-360

I don't get why so much hate is for a console when the franchise publishes games for Nintendo and Sony in all its home consoles and potable consoles. Lets also not forget the PC when Final Fantasy VII and XI was available then. I am a fan of the Final Fantasy franchise, but if this is what a "true Final Fantasy fan" would believe they must do; then a true fan I am not.

What is your thoughts now after the game was released and many had or currently playing at this moment? Any changes in views or were any just confirmed?
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

I have not played the game yet, but I think it's a wise decision to make FF13 on 360.  I really don't see why 3rd parties still make exclusive games when they should put them on multiple systems so more people can enjoy their games.  People keep saying "FINAL FANTASY IS A PLAYSTATION FRANCHISE", but it's not, it started way back on NES.  With this day-in-age it gets really expensive to make a great game so you might as well use some extra effort and put it on multiple platforms for more people to enjoy your game.

On a side note, I think FF8 was on PC as well.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Pazy

Fanboyism is stupid as hell, I also dont get how you can boo getting given a free console and game. The game dosent look like its been hampered by being on the 360 as well (though by the sounds of it other things hampered it) so they have no reason to boo the inclusion of other consoles, if they were that into the game surely they are happy that more people will play a game they love? I could understand if they decided to put it on the Wii as well and as such lessened the scope of the game to compensate but not the 360.

Wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wright

Seems pretty dumb to boo it because it's on the 360. I'd say the 360 is a better platform for rpgs anyways. Plus, the ps3 version looks better, so the fanboys can use that to feel superior if they want.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By meteora

No it wasn't bad, least not for their cash.

Besides the PS3 fans for some reason just feels insulted whenever they lose one of their exclusives and we 360 fans keep making fun of them because of that. Its just one long tired cycle.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

Whenever somebody on the internet says "true fan" you can safely disregard everything else they say.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne

The only possible reason for anyone to boo on this port is if it had compromised the PS3 version in any way. This is a fear many people have had.

Now that the game is out, it has become obvious that this is not the case. The PS3 version is clearly superior and the 360 version suffers from the devs not having made any compromises, but delivering a sloppy port instead. 

So the guys in the video you posted are simply morons. Fuck them.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ryax

fanboys need to tone down the costumes. they just cant be taken seriously

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Meowayne

By the way:

List of main Final Fantasy games that are exclusive to one platform

• FInal Fantasy IX
    • Final Fantasy XII

... that's it.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Meteora said:
    " No it wasn't bad, least not for their cash.  Besides the PS3 fans for some reason just feels insulted whenever they lose one of their exclusives and we 360 fans keep making fun of them because of that. Its just one long tired cycle. "

I think we are past raging about having "our" exclusives taken after 2009. Does the Xbox have any exclusive games actually?

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By meteora
    @Meowayne said:
    " The only possible reason for anyone to boo on this port is if it had compromised the PS3 version in any way. This is a fear many people have had.  Now that the game is out, it has become obvious that this is not the case. The PS3 version is clearly superior and the 360 version suffers from the devs not having made any compromises, but delivering a sloppy port instead.   So the guys in the video you posted are simply morons. Fuck them. "
    I think the port is quite competeant in many departments.

Just the artifacts in the cinematics was what they did sloppily.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ryax
    @Ghostiet: gears 2, halo, lost odysey, crackdown
    defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By defaulttag
    @Meowayne said:
    " By the way:

List of main Final Fantasy games that are exclusive to one platform

• FInal Fantasy IX
    • Final Fantasy XII
     ... that's it. "
    don't forget Final Fantasy X (and its sequel). only for PS2
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Ryax said:
    " @Ghostiet: gears 2, halo, lost odysey, crackdown "

This forum seriously needs an irony tag.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ryax
    @Ghostiet: you confuse me
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo

It seems good natured enough, notice how everybody on stage is laughing and smiling at it?  As a Brit looking at that I would say they were just 'having a laugh', playing up to their own stereotype if you will.  Of course, it seems to have gone straight over the head of the Kotaku guy.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By InfiniteGeass

If they launch it on more consoles then they can make more money right? There really isn't any reason to be exclusive to a console any more unless your a first party developer.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By REDRUN
    @Ryax said:
    " fanboys need to tone down the costumes. they just cant be taken seriously "
    thank you for making me inhale my coffee. point well said. *cough
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Meowayne
    @Meteora said:

"I think the port is quite competeant in many departments.  Just the artifacts in the cinematics was what they did sloppily. "

Apart from the sub-HD gameplay, 50% of the game looks like this.

I call that sloppy.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I actually didn't think I could have any less respect for Final Fantasy fans.
    I want to see the next game exclusive to the 360 or Wii.  Come on Square, do it for lolz.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By meteora
    @Meowayne said:

" @Meteora said:

"I think the port is quite competeant in many departments.  Just the artifacts in the cinematics was what they did sloppily. "

I call that sloppy. "
    Oh damn that is a pretty big difference.

I think you just killed the game for me. =O

Honestly I didn't notice when things were moving until the cinematics so meh.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By Addfwyn
    @WinterSnowblind:  
    Wouldn't happen, Japan will always remain one of Square's largest markets and the 360 just doesn't sell that well there.  MS paid good money to get LO as a 360 exclusive, and it didn't that well mostly because of the limited 360 install base in Japan.  You may see some Wii stuff, but obviously none of their HD games can work there. 

I wouldn't be that upset about it, I'm sure you'd see that same thing at other kind of press events, and it seems in general good humour for the most part.  I'm sure there's some people there that are deadly serious though of course.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By beargirl1

dudes in the video = assholes. i mean, really. 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Meowayne
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " I actually didn't think I could have any less respect for Final Fantasy fans. I want to see the next game exclusive to the 360 or Wii.  Come on Square, do it for lolz. "
    The "real" Final Fantasy XIII is 360 exclusive and the "real" Final Fantasy XIV is Wii exclusive.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EvilTwin

Those people are not fans.  They are idiots. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy
    @Meowayne said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " I actually didn't think I could have any less respect for Final Fantasy fans. I want to see the next game exclusive to the 360 or Wii.  Come on Square, do it for lolz. "
    The "real" Final Fantasy XIII is 360 exclusive and the "real" Final Fantasy XIV is Wii exclusive. "
    Haha, nice. I like this :P 

So does that make FFXIII the "real" FF XII-2?
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Meowayne
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    The "real" Final Fantasy XIII is 360 exclusive and the "real" Final Fantasy XIV is Wii exclusive. "
    Haha, nice. I like this :P  So does that make FFXIII the "real" FF XII-2? "

Yes, very much so.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zombie2011
    @Meteora: Unless you sit an inch away from a 50" HD tv, you won't be able to see that much of a difference.
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Addfwyn said:

" @WinterSnowblind:  Wouldn't happen, Japan will always remain one of Square's largest markets and the 360 just doesn't sell that well there.  MS paid good money to get LO as a 360 exclusive, and it didn't that well mostly because of the limited 360 install base in Japan.  You may see some Wii stuff, but obviously none of their HD games can work there.  I wouldn't be that upset about it, I'm sure you'd see that same thing at other kind of press events, and it seems in general good humour for the most part.  I'm sure there's some people there that are deadly serious though of course. "

Microsoft published Lost Odyssey.  I'm not sure why people always seem so quick to call out MS whenever they secure exclusives.  Sony were much more guilty of this back in the PS2 days.

Square have said this will be the last big budget Final Fantasy game, which I only see as a good thing at this stage.  A Wii version isn't completely out of the question, just as we've seen the newest Dragon Quest games on the DS.  I'd rather see them going back and focusing on the fantasy style exploration with wizards and warriors, rather than these pre-teen melodrama movies we've seen of late.

Nothing about it seemed to be "in good humour".  These were die hard weeabo's through and through, turning their noses up at contest prize.  Utter scum who should be ashamed to call themselves gamers.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xyzygy
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Addfwyn said:

" @WinterSnowblind:  Wouldn't happen, Japan will always remain one of Square's largest markets and the 360 just doesn't sell that well there.  MS paid good money to get LO as a 360 exclusive, and it didn't that well mostly because of the limited 360 install base in Japan.  You may see some Wii stuff, but obviously none of their HD games can work there.  I wouldn't be that upset about it, I'm sure you'd see that same thing at other kind of press events, and it seems in general good humour for the most part.  I'm sure there's some people there that are deadly serious though of course. "

Microsoft published Lost Odyssey. Square have said this will be the last big budget Wii game, which I only see as a good thing at this stage.  A Wii version isn't completely out of the question, just as we've seen the newest Dragon Quest games on the DS.  Nothing about it seemed to be "in good humour".  These were die hard weeabo's through and through, turning their noses up at contest prize.  Utter scum who should be ashamed to call themselves gamers. "
    Not only that, doesn't Sakaguchi not like working with Sony anymore? Hence why he hasn't made a game for them since FFX? He's only doing Wii and 360 stuff now.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By Red

I think they did a good job with the port, meaning they did a bad job with the 360 version. 

360 owners and Microsoft get their game, PS3 owners and Sony get to say they have the better system, and Square Enix gets their mountains of cash.
    Win win win.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By sopranosfan

As someone that is going to probably buy it on the PS3 just because it seems to belong on a Sony platform and it does seem a little better on the PS3 I think it is the only logical choice for a company trying to maximize profit on a game this big.  As production costs rise more and more exclusives will become multiplatform and the only way they won't is if Sony or Microsoft develop them or highly subsidize them.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jimbo

LOL at 'The Last Story'.  That's brilliant.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34  Edited By KaosAngel

I don't get the complaining.  

Sony has Agito XIII and Versus XIII locked down.  You can't get the full FF13 story outside of a Sony platform...Agito XIII comes out this year in Japan, and Versus the next year.  Plus with Nomura directing and producing Versus XIII you can expect a game that fans want and will more than likely be a better game simply due to being worked on 2 years longer.

EDIT:  Nomura confirmed Airship with worldmap in a Dengenki Interview too!  I mean, the last time FF had that was in IX and that was in 2000!

"The other day," said Nomura, "I saw a test of an airship flying over the world map. I felt that I was seeing a Final Fantasy-like screen for the first time in a long time. However, the fact that things have become realistic made us concerned about what to do about the scale. It's the same scale as past FF games, but even then, it's so wide that you can't make out the first town."

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vaiz

As someone who, you know, likes games, and the game industry, and the game industry not growing stagnant moreso than it already has, I absolutely love the idea of as many people being able to play a game as possible. Anyone who gets hung up over BOO HOO THEY HAVE OUR EXCLUSIVES ;_; is too invested in their own personal console loyalties and not the health of the industry in general.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jeffsekai

I've heard some dumb  fanboys, but the ones bitching about FF13 being on 360 take the cake.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Meowayne
    @KaosAngel said:
    "EDIT:  Nomura confirmed Airship with worldmap in a Dengenki Interview too!  I mean, the last time FF had that was in IX and that was in 2000! "
    Lost Odyssey had it.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By TwoOneFive

they booed it simply because they are hardcore fans and therefore know that the ps3 version is the lead platform and hence the obvious better choice for the game not to mention the fact the the really hardcore fans think it should only be played on ps3 simply because it has been sony exclusive for sometime now.  

anyways, when is Versus coming out?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @Meowayne said:
    " @Meteora said:

I call that sloppy. "
    no apart from the sub hd gameplay, the CGI looks liek that in the fastest scenes, and the CGI is not 50% of the game.
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @KaosAngel said:

" I don't get the complaining.  

Sony has Agito XIII and Versus XIII locked down.  You can't get the full FF13 story outside of a Sony platform...Agito XIII comes out this year in Japan, and Versus the next year.  Plus with Nomura directing and producing Versus XIII you can expect a game that fans want and will more than likely be a better game simply due to being worked on 2 years longer.

EDIT:  Nomura confirmed Airship with worldmap in a Dengenki Interview too!  I mean, the last time FF had that was in IX and that was in 2000!

"The other day," said Nomura, "I saw a test of an airship flying over the world map. I felt that I was seeing a Final Fantasy-like screen for the first time in a long time. However, the fact that things have become realistic made us concerned about what to do about the scale. It's the same scale as past FF games, but even then, it's so wide that you can't make out the first town."

"

Agito and Versus are both totally unrelated to FFXIII and each other, not even taking place in the same universe.   So no, they're not needed for the "full story".
    Plus more recentely they've been talking about changes to Versus, it possibly doesn't have the world map/airship anymore.

I'd be disappointed if they have done this..  aside from the extremely emo looking band of characters, it definitely looks like the more fun game.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Willy105

Now Sony owners know how it felt for Nintendo owners in 1997.

That's all I have to contribute.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Willy105
    @Meowayne said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    Never thought of it like that. 

But you could be on to something. They are made by the guys of the original Final Fantasies, including creator and composer, they were better received than the latest installments of the Final Fantasies (but to be fair, not being Final Fantasy lowered expectations), and they are closer to the Final Fantasy sense of style than modern Final Fantasies.

Now those insane fanboys for those games make sense.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By Jost1

The Sony/Final Fantasy fan hybrid is the most whiny fan imaginable. 

I got my game on the PS3 but why the HELL wouldn't Square put it on 360 as well.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ch13696

I can truly say that I'm disappointed that this went multi-platform. Not because they announced it (because c'mon FF XI is on the 360), but because they pushed the date back so they can port the 360 version. I would've had this game sooner if it wasn't for that. So far there are 2 exclusive Square games on the 360(Infinite Undiscovery and  The Last Remnant) and 2 on the Wii (Both Crystal Chronicles titles). So give the PS3 people a break.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By DoctorWelch

This thread is stupid.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ch13696
    @Willy105 said:
    " Now Sony owners know how it felt for Nintendo owners in 1997.  That's all I have to contribute. "
    But it was Nintendo that made that poor choice when they decided to stick with a cartridge. There was a magazine article where, Squaresoft at the time, said it would take almost 30 cartridges to make the Final Fantasy they wanted. So it would be either Sony or Sega consoles to go on. Thankfully they chose Sony, because we all know what happened to Sega.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jost1
    @Jimbo said:
    " LOL at 'The Last Story'.  That's brilliant. "
    It's a pretty great troll from Sakaguchi, directed at Square.

Lost Odyssey too is basically the same title. Gotta love that son of a gun and his awesome moustache.
    02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By 02sfraser

i am a huge Final Fantasy fan and at first i was annoyed microsoft threw there money to get it on 360 but to be honest i couldn't care less. what annoys me is the emphasis it is getting on 360. it was originally a PS3 title and everyone agrees it looks better on PS3 but the 360 is getting all the advertisement. other than that i couldn't care the game is on 360

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Siris

Those aren't true fans booing...is all I can say.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jost1

How DARE Square try to make MONEY off their hard work!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.