Giantbomb should be what Wikipedia isn't.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Edited By Willy105

I used to write pages for Wikipedia, and was always annoyed when somebody would change it, saying this piece of information is unnecessary, or we don't allow trivia, or we don't feel this game is important enough to have a whole page for it.

I am sick and tired of that, and I just stop going there. Information should not be limited. In the contrary, in the AGE OF INFORMATION, it is INFORMATION that should be front and center.

I was wandering about GiantBomb when I reached the page on Excitebots: Trick Racing. I noticed it was empty. I also noticed I knew a bunch of stuff about the game. So I just added a few stuff in. Then the PM came back. I got accepted! And I got 30 points!

That was awesome.

Then I came back, and made the page full of information! I got 470 points! The old feeling was back!

I just GiantBomb doesn't do like Wikipedia does and limits what it can have on the games. We should be able to learn EVERYTHING, not just general info like a release date and a publisher.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Willy105

I used to write pages for Wikipedia, and was always annoyed when somebody would change it, saying this piece of information is unnecessary, or we don't allow trivia, or we don't feel this game is important enough to have a whole page for it.

I am sick and tired of that, and I just stop going there. Information should not be limited. In the contrary, in the AGE OF INFORMATION, it is INFORMATION that should be front and center.

I was wandering about GiantBomb when I reached the page on Excitebots: Trick Racing. I noticed it was empty. I also noticed I knew a bunch of stuff about the game. So I just added a few stuff in. Then the PM came back. I got accepted! And I got 30 points!

That was awesome.

Then I came back, and made the page full of information! I got 470 points! The old feeling was back!

I just GiantBomb doesn't do like Wikipedia does and limits what it can have on the games. We should be able to learn EVERYTHING, not just general info like a release date and a publisher.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

YES

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Sounds good.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EvilTwin

So what you're saying is that Giantbomb does what Wikipedon't?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz

The database here is pretty much an open canvas for users to fill with as much detailed and correct information as possible. Provided the information is original and has not been copied from any other source(s). Feel free to edit as much as possible just make sure you read the Terms & Conditions and Wiki FAQ to understand the general rules and such like for how we operate the database and what sort of information etc is valid or not.

One thing I would like to see people do is write more detailed plot sections for a game. I've seen some really long and well written ones covering the entire plot of the game, but I've also seen some high profile games with next to nothing in the plot section.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

This is exactly what GB is. I too used to edit wikipedia casually, and the constant rules and regulations regarding what they accept and don't accept is far too problematic and totally discouraged me from editing anymore. GB is totally different. I don't feel like I've got red tape holding me back from contributing to the site. It has been mentioned many times (by users and staffers) that all information is good, and nothing is trivial. Giant Bomb's wiki is awesome!!!!

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Hello Willy my friend!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Pie

I just wish people wouldnt add things without putting any writing on the page

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

The mods and staff are pretty lenient when compared to other Wiki sites.  Mostly, when I do a Wiki page, I just wanna give as much info about it as possible, and usually I'll only do Wikis for games that I get asked about a lot IRL (i.e. Battleforge).

Nonetheless, there are some limits that have to be instilled on things in order for them to be accurate, precise, and worthwhile pages.  Just spamming a whole list of trivia can sometimes be pushing it (unless you happen to be the Wiki page for Jeff or Brad or Ryan, etc).

Here's what I find to be a thing of absolute pride:  Giant Bomb's Wiki pages are more detailed, informed, and incredible than ANYTHING you'll find on Wikipedia.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Pie said:
"I just wish people wouldnt add things without putting any writing on the page"
As long as they include a half decent blurb, I don't have a problem with no main text on the page. It's better to have the game (or character, or concept, or whatever) in the database as existing, with a few small details, than not having a page for it at all.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew
Pie said:
I don't have knowledge in every single game I add to the database. But I add it and hope that eventually someone who does have knowledge will come along and improve it.
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Disgaeamad

Articles like this are a testament to how great the wiki side of the site is. If you don't want to stick to the typical article layout, then you don't need to, so long as what you're writing has some sort of value to it.

So yeah, don't worry about GiantBomb becoming as strict as Wikipedia; that's something that would hurt the site rather than aid it.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Willy105
Keyser_Soze said:
"Hello Willy my friend! "
Hello there! Who are you?
Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Lunarbunny
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By mracoon

Yeah GB lets you right practically anything as long as it's related to the game your writing about, which is better then Wikipedia which can be too restricting at times.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jakob187
mracoon said:
"Yeah GB lets you right practically anything as long as it's related to the game your writing about, which is better then Wikipedia which can be too restricting at times."
I understand why they have the restrictions, though.  You are talking about an encyclopedia that literally ANYONE can adjust and change.  Stephen Colbert famously pointed this out, and they have TONS of people that are constantly trying to double check and verify all this stuff.  With something being THAT BIG of an ordeal, you HAVE to have restrictions on it.  Otherwise, you will get incorrect material, or even just opinionated material.

There are plenty of times I've seen opinionated material on the Giant Bomb wiki pages, and that personally irritates me.  Wikis are meant to be a service for information, not a way for you to give your opinion on stuff.

So, Wikipedia isn't the devil.  The people who edit it are...as much as it sucks to say.

So please, people, stop bashing a site that is trying to remain both credible and unbiased.  Besides, it's not like Wikipedia was built for GAMING purposes anyways.  Giant Bomb is.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dalai

The main difference between Giant Bomb and Wikipedia is basically size.  Giant Bomb's community is nowhere near as large as Wikipedia's userbase so you're gonna get more assholes vandalizing and ruining good pages on Wikipedia.  There's also the content and for the most part, there aren't that many controversial or vandal-prone concepts or games.

And... the fact that moderators look over our work before approving it.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By StarFoxA

Giant Bomb is such an awesome place. The main article that I wanted to edit when I signed up was Chrono Trigger. Thankfully, when I went to it, it was completely empty. And now it's an awesome wiki page with just about everything I know about the game.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By toowalrus
EvilTwin said:
"So what you're saying is that Giantbomb does what Wikipedon't?"
Oh god... don't ever say that again!!
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By StarFoxA
Dalai said:
"The main difference between Giant Bomb and Wikipedia is basically size.  Giant Bomb's community is nowhere near as large as Wikipedia's userbase so you're gonna get more assholes vandalizing and ruining good pages on Wikipedia.  There's also the content and for the most part, there aren't that many controversial or vandal-prone concepts or games.And... the fact that moderators look over our work before approving it."
Unless you have over 1000 points, which actually isn't all that difficult to attain.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By BoG
StarFoxA said:
"Giant Bomb is such an awesome place. The main article that I wanted to edit when I signed up was Chrono Trigger. Thankfully, when I went to it, it was completely empty. And now it's an awesome wiki page with just about everything I know about the game."
Speaking of which, I just went in and reorganized it into what I feel is a more logical order. I moved the music to hte bottom like on the FFVI page, and moved the version releases near the bottom as well, though the location of that could be debatable. Go see what you think.

But yeah, I agree with you. I think we should be a database for all the information about a particular game. That's what I want to know when I use the site my self, and that's what others want to know. I want to see staff credits to see what obscure game Nobuo Uematsu scored, and what other games share cover systems. I want in depth trivia and information about improved ports, etc. That's what I love about GB. It's awesome.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#22  Edited By JackiJinx
LordAndrew said:
"Pie said:
I don't have knowledge in every single game I add to the database. But I add it and hope that eventually someone who does have knowledge will come along and improve it."
Oh hell yes. That Yami game I posted a week or so ago, I know nothing about...but damn. Someone has to know something about that nougat game, and I'm interested.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StarFoxA
BoG said:
Speaking of which, I just went in and reorganized it into what I feel is a more logical order. I moved the music to hte bottom like on the FFVI page, and moved the version releases near the bottom as well, though the location of that could be debatable. Go see what you think.
Thanks dude, I had been meaning to do that. I'll go check it out.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
EvilTwin said:
I think "Giant Bomb is what wikipediain't" has a better ring to it.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EvilTwin
MattyFTM said:
"EvilTwin said:
I think "Giant Bomb is what wikipediain't" has a better ring to it."
Alright, we'll go with that.