9 year old raises 20k on Kickstarter for RPG Maker camp.

• 189 results
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@mcfart said:

Whatever, Kickstarter will be dead for video games ones the next consoles come out and publishers start looking for new, interesting IP ideas.

I'm not so sure about that. Almost none of the games funded on Kickstarter are console games (though a very tiny few do port to console). They are primarily PC and then some iOS and Android games. They won't be impacted by "new, interesting IP ideas", because they are primarily either more old-school influenced games that could easily grab an audience big enough to support its product but not big enough to turn a $5m investment into a $100m return (which is what major publishers would demand) . . . . or they are really out there smaller projects that are more at home on the PC with and less of a chance through traditional publishing.

If Kickstarter and other crowdfunding sites don't get their shit together and really invest in the vetting and curating process of their hosted projects or if enough projects really completely crumble through unfortunate circumstances, poor project management, or outright fraud to sour people on the risk -- then it will be over. But I don't think it'll have much, if anything, to do with the other titles that are out there or will be out there.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Branthog

@lordxavierbritish said:

Instead of talking about this dumb bitch and her paper thin scam you should be giving money to Shovel Knight.

Sorry, I already gave them my money like the day it was launched. :P

You can see all 492 of the crowd-funded projects I've backed, on this google spreadsheet ledger.

FLYmeatwad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#154  Edited By FLYmeatwad

@branthog: Thanks for the thoughtful answer. I was mostly wondering if, with capitalism and all, they just didn't like them because IndieGoGo was trying to corner their market. It is a pretty genius business strategy, as you said they are making a killing without doing all that much work. Granted they did need to spread initial brand awareness, but at a certain point when bigger artists jumped on board even that took care of itself because blogs covered them.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#155  Edited By Hunter5024

I almost hope this is all a scam, if only because that would mean there isn't a mom whose willing to demonize her own sons for the benefit of her daughter.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Branthog

Looks like Kickstarter officially supports this project, as per the latest update which includes supportive emails from KS to the mom, despite violating TOS on several fronts. Expected as much as removing it would be awful publicity, even though they'd be in the right. They have lost almost100 backers overnight though. After500 projects, I think this weakness in KS's side of things will finally end my support of and use of Kickstarter.I find this myopic, gross, and self-damaging on their part.

Mister9001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got damn. I wish I could make money easily like that.

*goes to Kickstarter and makes a fake donation box*

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

feminism is untapped GOLD

I really, really wish this wasn't true, but it seems to be what is going on here.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#160  Edited By apathylad
icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#162  Edited By xymox

Because if a rich kid's mom wants to make a video game and asks for money to do so that's wrong

But when a multi-million dollar corporation does it that's fine

Because it's not like you use kickstarter in order to say "hey I'm making this thing" (in this case she's not old enough to do so herself) and then I will or will not put my money down on that project, based on how likely I think you are to succeed at delivering on your promise. It's an investment. I see no point in scrutinizing the income of people's parents before any transactions you make. Do you do this at the grocery store as well? "The cashier's grandfather won the lottery so I'm not paying for this gallon of milk, they're rich".

At least they're being upfront/transparent about what the money is really going to. Camp, the programme and a laptop. All those are legit things for making a game the way I see it at least.

If your father is freaking scrooge mcduck & swimming in money, I could care less. Parents shouldn't act like charity factories and spoil their kids, and this is really no different from doing the dishes and getting a few coins from your parents in exchange or running a lemonade stand.

The biggest problem I see with this is that it just doesn't feel legit. I don't think her daughter even knows about the kickstarter to be honest. I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCK 9 YEAR OLDS

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of like the idea of kickstarting everyday things.

A kickstarter for going and buying a 6 pack of miniature sparkling water bottles.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#166  Edited By TruthTellah

Despite any legitimate concerns, this all just comes off as kind of pathetic. I understand the worry that it might be a scam or the possible trends it could support on Kickstarter, but the response has gone way over the top, even here.

Regardless of whatever discrepancies there may be, I hope that people who donated to this will get to play a simple game made by a 9-year-old, the daughter actually gets something good out of it, whatever extra money is given to a good cause, and most people get some satisfaction from their choice to support it.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By sdharrison

Despite any legitimate concerns, this all just comes off as kind of pathetic. I understand the worry that it might be a scam or the possible trends it could support on Kickstarter, but the response has gone way over the top, even here.

Regardless of whatever discrepancies there may be, I hope that people who donated to this will get to play a simple game made by a 9-year-old, the daughter actually gets something good out of it, whatever extra money is given to a good cause, and most people get some satisfaction from their choice to support it.

There's a good joke to be made here about a dumbed down EA RPG that starts with D and ends with agonagetwo.

Goby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Those kind of viewpoints are why the rich will always get more rich.

What more evidence do you need that it's a scam? I bet her daughter doesn't even want to make a game.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By TruthTellah

@goby: I apologize if I won't take advice on good judgment from someone who suggested that people should be literally crucified for not being as outraged about this.

As I said, while I believe some have voiced reasonable concerns(especially with establishing a precedent of poorly-designed pitches), it's people speaking hyperbolically like you have which make legitimate concerns just sound like the crazed rantings of angry people online. We don't have to talk like nuts to express skepticism of something like this.

So, since it's something that is indeed happening, the most we can hope for now is that people will get what they paid for and feel satisfied with it.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Monkeyman04

@truthtellah: *puts tinfoil hat on* what if goby is just a "spy" sent here to make us look bad?...

Or he's just a troll that needs to be ignored.

On topic, I think that this is shady looking in a way. Not because she is rich and not because it's about a 9 year old girl trying to make a game. It's the fact that this all seems like one big marketing campaign for her crowd funding website.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By TruthTellah

@monkeyman04 said:

@truthtellah: *puts tinfoil hat on* what if goby is just a "spy" sent here to make us look bad?...

Or he's just a troll that needs to be ignored.

heh. Unfortunately, I'd say there have been far worse folks in this whole thing. It's more disturbing when usually good people let their apparent outrage get the best of them and take things from a reasonable place to a rather awkward, almost sad one.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Darji

@goby said:

@truthtellah: Those kind of viewpoints are why the rich will always get more rich.

What more evidence do you need that it's a scam? I bet her daughter doesn't even want to make a game.

This just sounds that you are jealous for not getting the money instead

Seriously. If these people get really a game out of it it is totally ok. It does not matter if you have 20 million or more $. Everyone has the right to start a kickstarter. If you do not like it than don't spend money on it. Problem with kickstarter is also that many people get much more money they actually wanted. Look how double fine asked for 400k and got nearly 4 million.

The problem is that we do not know if this kid even exist. So the easiest conclusion for the mother would be to make a video. Of course people can still scream. This is not her real kid and it was bought to do so but at least it is an evidence.

However: the promise of the RPG does not sound like it was made by a 9 year old that is for sure. It is more made for old school gamers to catch on. And I will eat my hat if this 9 year old game could make a game with these promises XD

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#173  Edited By audioBusting
oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

How is it possible that none of the idiots that pledged to this shit originally seem to have cancelled their pledges after the info about the mother came out?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By RazielCuts

FUCK 9 YEAR OLDS

@sdharrison said:

Wait, what? Do I have to contact the internet cops and have you tagged?

Also - Husband's IndieGoGo Attempt thankfully it failed. The title made me laugh though 'HELP ME Get These Kids off Video Games', guess those damn video games are the reason your 'daughter' is looking for apparent funding for a videogame camp now? If only they went on that trip all of this could've been avoided (!)

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@razielcuts: Thats not all

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/phone-case-holds-essentials-in-1-place

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/girls-afraid-of-money-20-experiment-cont-d

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/truths-of-top-women-in-biz-politics-sports

And like all indiegogo campaigns these are flex funding so they get the money whether they reach their goal or not.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By RazielCuts

@kaiserreich: I'm neogafin' the shit out of it. It's one of the reasons the internet is great, super sleuths, your bullshit will be called on.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#178  Edited By apathylad

I'm just gonna leave this here...

Loading Video...

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By zels

@apathylad said:

I'm just gonna leave this here...

Loading Video...

Kickstarter: losing credibility before it could even earn any. What's the point of having TOS anyway?

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Great, all those people are funding a Naruto game. The world needs more of those.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

It's really hard to believe these people are self made millionaires, the more I read and the videos they put out just don't line up with people who have money or even people that have ever run a business, they seem really moronic and simple.

manicraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By manicraider

If everyone is right and this is a scam, or is possibly violating the Kickstarter TOS, why hasn't anything been done yet?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Jams

If they pay a penie or two pence more for the reddinesse of them..let them looke to that, a foole and his money is soone parted.

A foole & his money,

be soone at debate:

which after with sorow,

repents him to late.

Goby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Goby

@manicraider: Because she is super rich.

They live by different rules.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If everyone is right and this is a scam, or is possibly violating the Kickstarter TOS, why hasn't anything been done yet?

Because Kickstarter doesn't give a fuck. They have an increasingly poor record of sticking to their own TOS and a worse record doing any vetting whatsoever. For a company that depends on trust and accountability to keep people pledging (which is where they get their revenue from), they sure do a shitty job of making sure people feel a sense of trust and accountability. I have said this repeatedly in the last six months -- if they don't make a greater investment in the vetting process and work more to curate their content, they are ultimately going to fail -- no matter how many success stories there are.

And, additionally, because they're letting the mom skate on the "well, this isn't a fund your life project, it's a make-an-rpg for people project!" technicality rather than face the wrath of the internet. When she emailed them about it, they actually said "it qualifies as a project, because people are funding a game" (riiight). Of course, my understanding is that the latest news is they are possibly going to use the $25k to send 20 other kids to the same camp or something. This is even weirder, because that sort of makes this a charity, right? Charities are not allowed on Kickstarter. Additionally, if you are not getting 21 RPGs out of this, then how does this still fit within the parameters of the project and the parameters of Kickstarter's TOS? Why not do away with the smokejob and just say "okay, we give up, you can do fund-my-life and charity stuff and instead of an RPG for everyone, we're going to let this project just be about sending 21 kids to camp"?

I think less of Kickstarter for making the decision they did (basically, ignoring that what they're raising money for is tuition to summer camp and not the trinket/token RPG that they'll be making over a period of like two days at the camp -- and therefore violating their TOS that everyone else who doesn't play to the little-kid/sexism thing has to adhere to), but I understand why they did. I said they would, from the beginning. The downside to letting this slide is they might lose five people who won't chip in on any projects ever again. The downside to sticking the TOS to them is suddenly becoming the most evil company on the internet and being labeled as sexists and misogynists and child-haters ruining a little girl's dream.

The concern of skeptics is not helped by the fact that /r/mensrights (ugh) got hold of this story and then began to bombard the comments on the Kickstarter page with their paranoid drivel, either. It took the tone from a bunch of concerned people politely saying "while this seems like a great idea on the surface, I am not sure if this crosses the line for what projects are allowed here or only straddles it and the lack of any video of actual people behind the project makes me wonder if this is a scam and the whole self-promotion of non-project-related-things is weird" to a bunch of people posting dozens of times in a bunch of volatile "feminazi double standard man-hating durp durp durp" bullshit. It was like if you were having a polite political discussion with friends in a Denny's when Alex Jones and all of his InfoWars religious crazies stumbled in, jammed themselves into the booth with you and started talking about gold, heirloom seeds, and the sign of the beast . . . . and now everyone in Denny's is looking at YOU like YOU'RE a fucking asshole.

I think it seems obvious to any observer what was going on here and what the mother was manipulatively playing with and to. Regardless of their financial status and the real or imagined interest the child has, this was mostly about promoting mom's own women-oriented crowd-funding website. She did a ridiculous amount of spamming and promoting for something that only needed $800, after all. It's easy to get attacked and labeled for making such a statement, but the truth is that many who questioned this whole thing (in much the same way they would or have questioned other fishy-smelling kickstarter projects in the past) would have loved for this to be absolutely legitimate with no fishy stuff going on and no mom-advertising-her-crap and none of this extraneous garbage. Even I initially chipped in money, before I started digging around and didn't feel right putting my money in their hands, for any reason.

Really, the only thing one needs to show in contrast to this -- to demonstrate how the mother orchestrated and manipulated the entire thing and the current controversies to their benefit in a very gross way -- is to observe the Kickstarter of another little girl and her mom. This girl is the same age. One that was running concurrently with this one (launched a few days earlier, in fact). It's for some equipment to improve the quality of the claymation videos the daughter makes -- currently stuck with an iPhone for recording and a flimsy cardboard empty pasta box for a tripod. They made a nice short video showing the work she already does and neither the video or the project content ever brings up evil terrible men, sexism, misogyny, being a trophy wife of Donald Trump and Larry King, selling girl-power beer-cozeys or tee-shirts and mouse-pads from the mom's company nor do they spam news outlets with press releases or spam twitter with appeals to Ellen DeGeneres on behalf of a little girl, trampled upon by vile brothers.

The controversial project with all the spam, pimping mom's own products as rewards, exploiting social issues, and labeling anyone who questions whether the project qualifies under kickstarter TOS or whether the project is even real (since it has a lot of traits shared with previously uncovered actual Kickstarter scams) as "haters" and "misogynists" . . . . has raised around $25,000. The project for the little girl just politely asking for help to make more claymation videos which she'll then give people as their rewards with no fishiness or grossness involved in the whole thing? With even more funding time under their belt, they've gone just over $1,000. They've met their goal (and yes, I contributed -- even though I'm clearly a horrible chauvinist yadda yadda yadda), but I can't help but feel super disgusted at the discrepancies between how people rush to be manipulated by a business woman running one child's kickstarter, while all but ignoring the other child's. Same ages. Similar projects (one gets some videos and the other gets a largely out-of-box RPG).

I think that discrepancy says it all.

(And I won't even bother going into how absurd it is that there's some company out there charging like $1,500 for a five day "technology camp" that -- from what I've read of a previous attendee -- consists of two or three days of regular camp stuff followed by two days of making an RPG in RPG Maker. It seems like this should be a free or $200 course taught by volunteers at the local community center during the summer.)

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By joshthebear

If you really want to be sick, you should check out the GAF thread; it's fucking ridiculous.

Lemon_Peel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Lemon_Peel

My god is anyone still following this? She had the nerve to recently request the KS dev team to let her be able to remove dollar pledges so she could silence people in the comments section. Seems KS has been deleting posts and suspending commenting privileges left and right anyway, she just wants the controls.

Also, she actually responded to this mock article by her daughter: http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=1813

Lady's nuts.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By BPRJCTX

@mikkaq said:

God here I am, a 21 year old with a decade of film experience scrimping and saving just to rent the film equipment I need to make basic professional shots and this girl just got enough to buy all the equipment I'd need outright. I should look into this kickstarter business!

Yeah, seriously, i want to start a youtube channel on Video Games, and i'm just going with basically, the cheapest equipment i can find, and then i look at this...

I would only need around a 1000, maybe i could ask for 2000, and get a new pc as well, to make the editing work a little easier, i don't know man, seems like a pretty realistic goal, even i could make...

Gotta look into that...

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#189  Edited By Dalai

I am curious to know how many outraged people here backed the Super Drake Tracker 2000 EX recently.

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By FierceDeity

@dalai said:

I am curious to know how many outraged people here backed the Super Drake Tracker 2000 EX recently.

There's an actual deliverable there. That's not the case here.

Also, useful idiots abound!

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Barrock

@dalai said:

Personally, I'm not.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#192  Edited By RenegadeSaint

Crowdfunding: Investing for people who don't understand the concept of investing.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Was this the one where the mother was accused of being a con artist?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Barrock

Was this the one where the mother was accused of being a con artist?

Yeah. I guess she tried to pull a scam on Indiegogo as well, selling $4 iPhone cases for $40 while claiming she produced them.

Lemon_Peel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Lemon_Peel

@barrock said:

Yeah. I guess she tried to pull a scam on Indiegogo as well, selling $4 iPhone cases for $40 while claiming she produced them.

Right, someone brought it up to her in the comments recently - her response was brilliant:

Susan Wilson 1 day ago

@Vernano - Just to be clear, you are wrong and you are being the opposite of helpful. Yes, I pitched the Life-Case and I hired a CAD designer to make it. As I clearly said in prior posts and to reporters, it was inspired by Incipio's Stowaway case (which I still own) but which is too small and has a flaw in the design. The case only hold an ID, 2 credit cards and maybe a single $20 bill. THAT's it! I wanted something that held a car key and more. Look at the pictures and you can see it's not reselling the Incipio case.

No, it didn't have a market so it didn't succeed. That doesn't make it a scam. That makes me an entrepreneur. And like it or not, people like me are what keeps the economy in the U.S. running. Small business entrepreneurs fuel the US economy. So cut the name calling and get off of this campaign.

Note how there is no mention of the CAD designer's name, names of the reporters or articles. Then she gets asked for names and goes silent. She could have said nothing, but she is just out to troll people that know her for what she is. Oh, and here is the scam summary: yourkickstartersucks.tumblr.com/post/46391035496/i-read-a-few-articles-and-comments-about-the-rpg

Also, do look at the pictures like she says. They are exactly the same!