Are there any franchises that you return to frequently?

• 68 results
mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mosespippy

So right now I am playing Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (the 2002 NFS game). I've played through and unlocked everything in it maybe 4 or 5 times in my life. It's not the NFS game I want to be playing though. I'd rather be playing NFS High Stakes (the 1999 NFS game) but the first thing my mac does when I put it in is spit out the disc. I could spend a couple hours trying to figure out how to get a 14 year old PC game to work on a seven year old laptop or I could put a disc in my PS2 and play right away, so Hot Pursuit 2 wins. I have played through High Stakes 8 or 9 times over the years and it is one of my three favourite games of all time. Basically, I return to old NFS games all the time; probably about once every eight or nine months.

Grand Theft Auto is the other stand by for me. I've 100% completed all of them multiple times since they went 3D. I've done it so many times for Vice City that I did it from memory earlier this year with the HUD and minimap turned off. I even return to GTA2 about once a year. I don't know what it is about these franchises but I could take any of their old games and play them today and have a blast, no matter how many times I've played it in the past. Are there any franchises like this for you?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By Justin258

Metroid; more specifically, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Zero Mission. Also, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back and 3: Warped.

Those games are the ones that I never, ever tire of and I've been playing all of them for a very long time. More recently, though, the Halo games, the Doom games, and the latter Elder Scrolls games are also ones that I never seem to tire of; however, I have yet to see if the test of time will hold those up as much as the Metroid and Crash games.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Twisted Metal 2

Gantrathor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Gantrathor

I play all of the Elder Scrolls games frequently. Mostly Morrowind, though. I still play Splinter Cell 1 and 2 a lot. Also, I usually play through Fable 1 at least once a year. And, seeing as how I've finished it 3 times already, I assume that I'll be returning to Dishonored frequently in the future.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Karl_Boss

Halo

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#6  Edited By ki11tank

not really, i think about going back to certain games way more than i actually do.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rafaelfc

Doom and Resident Evil.

I always go back to play the old games and enjoy the hell out of them

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheCreamFilling

The Westwood era Command & Conquers.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By kindgineer

Honestly? No.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By Yanngc33

Never

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FilipHolm

Actually, not really. The only franchises I've played multiple times are Metal Gear Solid, Prince of Persia, Grand Theft auto and Half-Life. And only like 2 times.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By laserbolts

Metal Gear Solid. I usually play through then all once every year or year and a half. Loved the MGS games.

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheKramer89

@mosespippy said:

I'd rather be playing NFS High Stakes (the 1999 NFS game)

Fuckin' A man. One of my favorite games of my childhood. Glad to see somebody else appreciates it.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

FIFA. Always fifa

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Phatmac

Gears and Halo.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By RVonE

Hmmm, this generation I went back to the first and second Mass Effect a lot; and also the first Dragon Age. But franchises across multiple generations? Not really. I do think about past favorites a lot, though.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheHumanDove

Silent Hill.

I don't give a fuck.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Halo and Cod occasionally but I actually go back to Guitar Hero a lot.

Tomzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tomzombie

Age of Empires 3

That1BlackGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By That1BlackGuy
  • Phantasy Star Online (I tried to stop but it ain't happening)
  • Capcom vs SNK 2 (Not a franchise per se but it's my favorite fighting game)
  • Syphon Filter (I love this series so fucking much; SFII still holds up as my all time favorite TPS)
  • Saga (Mainly the Frontier games)
  • ATV: Offroad Fury (Oh how the mighty have fallen; thank goodness the old ones are so great)
Aronleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aronleon

Most Castlevania and Zelda games, hell every October I have a tradition to play if I can all the Castlevania games before the month ends.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#22  Edited By pyromagnestir

Zelda. Always Zelda. And recently Fire Emblem.

j0lter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By j0lter

I always love to play a good game of Hitman, no matter which one.

Avatar image for posttimeskipsam
posttimeskipsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By posttimeskipsam

Sonic Adventure 2 and the first Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear

Tetris

Mega Man

Resident Evil (4 specifically)

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zekhariah

Deus Ex.

Still not getting the love that focuses on that games (somewhat primitive) stealth aspects compared to the story and way the world-building interacted with gameplay.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By _Zombie_

I frequently return to TES and Fallout.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By me3639

Company of Heroes. Only game that moves from every PC i rebuild.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Coafi

Silent Hill. My mind and my heart are tied to that series, not only do I play them every once and awhile, I listen to the soundtracks almost monthly.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#30  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Heroes of Might and Magic is a series that I can go back to at any time and always have an enjoyable experience. Currently, I've decided that Heroes IV is pretty great, despite not always executing on its ideas very well and despite having some of the worst art-design from a game of that era. Some other franchises I can do that with are Might and Magic (the RPG series that Heroes is derived from), Fire Emblem and Resident Evil, oddly enough.

aznjon12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By aznjon12

Blazblue essentially robbed my money with re-releases of the same game and DLC but I still love that crazy little series and all their continuum shifts.

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

God of War is kind-of my go to franchise. I would also say Final Fight as well.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

At some point every year I go back and play Fallout 3 and A Link to the Past.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By mosespippy

@TheKramer89 said:

@mosespippy said:

Fuckin' A man. One of my favorite games of my childhood. Glad to see somebody else appreciates it.

Maybe you can clear something up for me then. I played the demo for months and then borrowed a copy of the game from a friend. I seem to remember being able to do races with 16 players and an option in the display settings called "Distractions" which when set to high would add extra fireworks, hot air balloons, air plains, etc. Years later I got my own copy from the NFS Collection and it only did 8 vehicle races and there was no distractions setting. Did I imagine these features or what? It's possible some options just don't show up if you don't have the right hardware. Or maybe the version from NFS Collection is gimped or maybe these features were only in the demo. It's always puzzled me.

@Rafaelfc: I played Resident Evil for the first time last January and I absolutely loved it. I didn't even get half way through RE2 before I was bored though. I kind of want to play RE 1 again though. I think it could be one of those games that I return to but my PS+ ran out so I can't right now.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By peritus
ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ShockD

Grand Theft Auto.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By confusedowl

Gothic (1 and 2 specifically), I go back to Dragon Age Origins every once in a while, Gears of War, TES,

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By BoG

Final Fantasy, definitely. Mario in a sense, as well. I won't hesitate to buy the latest Mario game if I perceive it to be a major entry in the series. I guess I could say the same of most of the major franchises. Castlevania also deserves mentioning, though this only goes for the 2D games. I have yet to play a 3D Castlevania game.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AlexW00d

@laserbolts said:

Metal Gear Solid. I usually play through then all once every year or year and a half. Loved the MGS games.

Pretty much

CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CooVee

You wouldn't think they would be very re-playable but I feel I could play all the Ace Attorney games once a year. 

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MezZa

Not just franchises, but also specific games. Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun series, Pokemon Red or Gold, Final Fantasy IX + X, Mass Effect series, LoZ Majora's Mask or Wind Waker, whatever is the most recent Civilization game, Baldur's Gate series, Dark Souls, Persona 4, Borderlands, Neverwinter Nights, and probably some more that I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

I like going back to old games. Gives me a good nostalgic feeling for some of them. Plus, it's cheaper and way more enjoyable than buying a new game.

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheKramer89

@mosespippy said:

@TheKramer89 said:

@mosespippy said:

Maybe you can clear something up for me then. I played the demo for months and then borrowed a copy of the game from a friend. I seem to remember being able to do races with 16 players and an option in the display settings called "Distractions" which when set to high would add extra fireworks, hot air balloons, air plains, etc. Years later I got my own copy from the NFS Collection and it only did 8 vehicle races and there was no distractions setting. Did I imagine these features or what? It's possible some options just don't show up if you don't have the right hardware. Or maybe the version from NFS Collection is gimped or maybe these features were only in the demo. It's always puzzled me.

I definitely remember the fireworks and hot air balloons, but i don't remember that being a setting (maybe a cheat code?), and I don't remember there being 16 player races. That's seems a little ambitious for a game so old, but I could be wrong on both accounts.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Morrow

Fallout :]

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By colourful_hippie

Gears for the multiplayer.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By Jeust
  • Force Unleashed
  • Alan Wake
  • Fable
  • Uncharted
  • inFamous
  • Prototype
  • Final Fantasy
  • Parasite Eve
  • Dead Space
  • Deadlight
  • Resident Evil
  • Catherine
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MikkaQ

I get bored of most games pretty quickly, so this doesn't really happen. Every time I try to beat a game I've already beaten, I get like halfway through then get bored and wanna play something new.

Although a franchise I keep returning to, in the sense that I keep leaving it, is Pokemon. I haven't beaten a Pokemon game since Ruby/Sapphire, but I kept buying them, beating like half the game then giving up. I just bought Black 2, and this time I'm gonna actually try and finish it. I really think that formula needs a mixup. I'm fine with the gameplay, but do I really need to get 8 badges, beat a villainous team, and beat the Pokemon league AGAIN? I've never seen a game series stick so aggressively to the same story beats, over and over.

Even if it were to just focus on one of those things and make it really fleshed out and awesome (like a Pokemon game where you just hunt down terrorists, or one where you are singularly focused on conquering the various Pokemon leagues), that would make a world of difference for me.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By csl316
@believer258

Metroid; more specifically, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Zero Mission. Also, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back and 3: Warped.

Those games are the ones that I never, ever tire of and I've been playing all of them for a very long time. More recently, though, the Halo games, the Doom games, and the latter Elder Scrolls games are also ones that I never seem to tire of; however, I have yet to see if the test of time will hold those up as much as the Metroid and Crash games.

I was ready to post almost all the same games (minus Elder Scrolls). Some of my fondest memories in those.
Tobli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Tobli

The only thing i can think of is playing mount & blade on and off since the pre-release purchase days.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By JoeyRavn

I've been always playing or replaying a (main) Pokémon game since 1998. Does that count?

Also, Tetris.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By vaiz

Games I can go back to, I could list quite a few. Franchises, however? Whole series? I can name a few.

• Doom
  • Sonic The Hedgehog (I just don't play anything from 2002-2008)
  • The Elder Scrolls
  • The Prince of Persia Sand of Time trilogy.

Maybe there are some others, but those are the big ones, series-wise.