Are you good at strategy games?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

Im not, im the kind of person who builds wayyyy too many infantry and then they get slaughtered, i cant say i have ever won an online match of Age of Empires 3 (My favorite RTS) im just too slow, i like musketeers too much i guess.

What do you guys think of the difficulty of Strategy games as a whole? Are you one of the more elite players, that knows how to counter every tactic, unit the enemy might throw at them?

"Which ones are we talking about? I had my ass handed to me in Herzog Zwei, yet I can kick quite a bit of ass in Fire Emblem/Shining Force/whatever."
I dont care what strategy type game you talk about, im thinking more like RTS games but Fire Emblem and gamesllike it are cool too (Maybe Strategy was too broad of a Title?)
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Which ones are we talking about? I had my ass handed to me in Herzog Zwei, yet I can kick quite a bit of ass in Fire Emblem/Shining Force/whatever.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By flaminghobo

I was good at Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth, other than that... not really.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Pie

I turtle and build my army consisting of 10,000 infranty units. So no.......

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Video_Game_King:

I think he means traditional strategy games, as in the Strategy genre, not pseudo strategy, JRPG strategy, Tactics style games. I'm not hating on them here, I just think he means traditional strategy games.

Personally, I suck hard at them. The only one i'm remotely good at, IE enough to beat the hard mode CPU is Dawn of War. Everything else i'm terrible at, I don't manage resources probably, I build the wrong types of units, I don't know the matchups, I let myself get flanked too often, etc etc my brain just cannot process that many things. I'm not good at micromanagement.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mikemcn
@Video_Game_King:
Any really, and thanks for the quote lol
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mikemcn
@Pie said:
"I turtle and build my army consisting of 10,000 infranty units. So no......."

Thats what i try to do! IT NEVER WORKS lol
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By gingertastic_10

Hell no. I was ok in Civ: Revolution. But that's nothing to brag about I guess.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ververdan0226

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Not at all.

That and fighting games I just can't do.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mikemcn

I played C & C 3 online once, within 15 minutes my enemy had 100 aircraft that he used to storm my base, i uninstalled the next day

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#11  Edited By citizenkane

I haven't played online in a strategy game since Age of Empires III, so I can't base my skill nowadays on anything other than against the CPU and my general self-evaluation.  I am better at first-person shooters due to my really quick reflexes and eyesight, but I'm no slouch in strategy games either.

Snuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Snuffy
@FlamingHobo: I'm the same way.  But it's mostly because I get bored of RTS-like strategy games.  Just one of those genres I can't get into I guess.
SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By SlowHands
@ververdan0226 said:
" No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.  Not at all.  That and fighting games I just can't do. "
I am exactly the same way.  Some sort of mental block hits me when I try.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By asurastrike

I'm horrible at RTS games, but I still think they are fun. The key is playing against someone who is just as bad as you so you can both have fun. :)

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#15  Edited By Icemael

I suck at them. I love them, but I suck at them.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Carlos1408

I'm alright, but it really depends on the game...
For example Dawn of War I can handle even on insane (which i've only done a few times, kind of frusturating so i stcik to medium or hard)
But then games like Medievel 2 Total War I suck ass at, which is weird cause i was pretty good at Rome Total War... but yea i'm all right, never really play online though... and I'm really into micromanagment.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By bwooduhs

I can win....if i cheat.

eternalrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By eternalrift

I like my RTS to have a good story line, which is why I love the C&C games up through RA2 and the original Dawn of War. Never play online though, since I am terrible at micromanaging units.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NoXious

The RTS' that I play, I do tend to be good at - Red Alert 3 [Russian the best faction], WarCraft 3 [Random, slightly Orc tinted] are my favorites. StarCraft was god-like, but the graphics nowadays make my eyes hurt so I can't play it for too long. Plus alot of convenience that is put in RA3 / WC3 I just miss in StarCraft. Besides those games I hardly play RTS online, just singleplayer - as every RTS has it's own style and some just don't suit me when I have to perform online.
I'm not a fan of massive spam battles, so in Red Alert 3 I tend to keep things in small numbers unless I dominate and play with my enemy. WarCraft 3 is a granted one that you have small armies.

I just want StarCraft 2 :( I betta be in that Beta ><

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kmdrkul

I am godly at Civilization 3.  So much in fact, that I place an open challenge to anyone.  Unfortunately CIV is out of the question because I despise that game.  Also, I am awful at RTS games... too stressful.  Much prefer the turn based games.