Are you pleased with the current state of the gaming industry?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

Generally speaking, Yes. Though I wish the big publishers will invest as much as on creating new IP's as they do with franchises. As much as I love playing quality sequels to games that I love, it is fun and refreshing to have to play a new game you never played before and to have a different experience.

I also think the big publishers need to start investing more in creating and  building new talent from the indie gaming scene. 

I wish that the big publishing houses would be run by game developers who are more passionate about the games and not suits that only care for how much of a christmas bonus package they will get. 
MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MatthewMeadows

Yes

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

Publishers will never be run by game developers because they are all about making money, while the developers make the games that bring in the cash.

I'm happy where it is. It would be nice to see some new IPs, but those are hard to create nowadays.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By delta_ass

Nope. I think the state of gaming is pretty terrible right now. No major releases except for shoddy console ports. And the few exclusives are either buggy European games like ArmA 2 or ridiculously old fashioned bullshit like Starcraft 2.

The last really good non-console port I played was Sins of a Solar Empire, way back in 2008.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5  Edited By natetodamax
@Delta_Ass said:
No major releases except for shoddy console ports............way back in 2008. "
1. There are a ton of major games coming out in the coming months and next year.
2. 2008 was last year......?
CharlieTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By CharlieTuna

Gaming has never been better, I just wish I had more time to play games, backlog is huge. Stupid girlfriend/friends/job always getting in the way.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Absurd

No, I needs more PC games. (even though there is a huge backlog)

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Akeldama

im just sick of all the redundancy

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mordukai
@Akeldama said:
" im just sick of all the redundancy "
You mean the gaming industry or this thread? 
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond

I think the quality of titles coming out is just fine, but the number of games with themes or concepts that really excite me is extremely low.  I'm not any more bored of the games that are coming out than in previous years, but I'm really not very hyped at all for what's actually coming.

I agree with others that PC gaming is in an extremely bad state.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Akeldama
@Mordukai said:
" @Akeldama said:
"
both i suppose.
smokeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By smokeH

NO, I think there so many games out there that are well developed and a lot of interesting unique concepts yet the developers aren't being supported enough that people aren't taking risks anymore for games. For example Valkyria Chronicles is an amazing game yet it didn't sell as well as it should have. I think there are a lot of japanese games as well that are being missed out on. I live in Japan and see a shitload of games that I've never seen trailers for and all. I'm not satisfied but im still enjoying what comes out. I doubt it will ever be to the point where these type of games will be selling like gears and all. Its all about money and advertising the game. I'm too tired to go indepth but if anyone agrees with me I think they will understand. Sorry for the not so detailed reply, im too lazy to write :P

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordukai
@Akeldama said:
" @Mordukai said:
" @Akeldama said:
"
both i suppose.
"
WHy do you think this thread is redundant? 
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By gingertastic_10

Yes, I'm liking where it's at.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Akeldama
@Mordukai said:
" @Akeldama said:
" @Mordukai said:
" @Akeldama said:
"
both i suppose.
"
WHy do you think this thread is redundant? 
"
its just the general concept of it. Opinion regarding devs and the state of gaming is a well treaded topic. Nothing personal, its just that i feel like i have seen both this thread and what its talking about alot.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai
@Akeldama: Fair enough. Everyone's entitled  to their own opinion. 
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By JoelTGM

Yes, but I don't like the "exclusive" game war, where with every big game title one side makes an effort to steal the show with a large bribe.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Akeldama
@Mordukai said:
" @Akeldama: Fair enough. Everyone's entitled  to their own opinion.  "
yea man. 
harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By harrisonave

I guess.  I feel like it might have gotten a little too big for it's britches a bit here in the last few years, but I suppose it could always be worse.  Sad thing is, I only see it getting worse, in the coming years.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It seems fine to me. You have a reasonably healthy mix of big publisher/developer groups with huge budgets to make big blockbuster games, and smaller indie devs with original and interesing idea's. It isn't perfect, but it could be far worse.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By c1337us

As long as there is always more games I would like to play then time to actually play them I guess I got nothing to complain about.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Meowayne

No.
When I think about what would be possible with the amazing machines we have at our disposal to do interactive audiovisual storytelling and experiences, and compare that to what is actually done - especially on the HD consoles - I want to gouge my eyes out. Every couple of years a work is released that reiterates what little faith I have in the future of videogames as a medium - recently Silent Hill 2, Shadow of the Colossus, Portal, Half-Life 2, World of Goo, Braid - and I'm not entirely immune to the fun of shooting stuff and explosions. And there's proper, "real" games on the Nintendo consoles that don't even attempt at storytelling, so I guess that's what keeps me going.

But there are times where I think videogames make me miss a lot of amazement found in proper storytelling in movies and literature.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By penguindust

I've got barely enough time to play what I have.  More awesome games would just mean more awesome games going unplayed.  I guess if I have a complaint, it'd be there isn't enough risk taken with established properties.  Reruns are cranked out fearing alienating the core players, but maybe with good cause because every time an attempt is made, the release sells poorly.  Gamers just want more of the same thing over and over again.  Look at the sales charts and you'll see why companies just regurgitate the same games with minor changes each year.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Pie

Im cool

Kazu666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kazu666

I'm pretty happy with it, good franchises are getting good sequels, a few new IPs popping up here and there, it's cool.

Only thing I'm NOT happy with right now is DLC. I'm all for adding new content, i'll also happily pay for it, but adding things that are blatantly already on the disc (Resi 5) or RELEASING with DLC (SF4 Costumes) that 5 years ago would have been included as standard on the disc is just taking the piss tbh
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

A lot of the games these days seem run of the mill.  Nothing really reaches out to me lately.  I think the last time I bought a new physical game was last year with Fallout 3..or when they had Last Remnant on sale for $20 on Black Friday.  I've bought bought plenty of downloadables & DLC but it doesn't contain the excitement I had whilst playing Gears of War 1 when it came out.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iam3green

it's alright. i just wish that the games were longer. it seems like games are becoming more multiplayer then single player. i want more single player then multiplayer. the story games aren't even that long. the games keep on getting shorter and shorter every game it seems. the only games that are long seem to be RPGs.