Best endings to games? *spoilers*

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pwnasaurus

i just beat shadow of chernobyl and the ending was good i'm aware of the other 5 and what the designers did was fantastic! 

for example once you reach the wish maker my dude wished for the zone to disappear... and it did to him it just blinded him. the zone disappeared but just to him. or in another ending he can ask for immortality the wishmaker turns him into a statue. there are other endings to the game that i thought was really cool. the way they made the wishes come true but they had a really crazy twist like your blind or something its fantastic if you ask me

so giantbomb whats your favorite endings?
jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By jmrwacko

Endings of Mass Effect 1 and 2 both had me bursting into a victory cheer, just because of the epicness.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By skrutop

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

Bioshock 2 had a pretty good ending I thought.

masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By masterherocard

@skrutop said: 
Sounds like a monkey-paw situation to me. 
 For those out there that don't know what I mean, The Monkey Paw was a short story about a couple who come into possession of a monkey's paw that is said to grant wishes. However, what they wish for is tainted. For example, when they wish for money, they get it-when the insurance comes back on their now dead son.
This has been a bit of literature brought to you by some guy you don't care about. 

Now more on topic, 

The ending to Klonoa was surprising. 

Surprisingly sad. The entire game is light and upbeat as they go on about the power of friendship and all that stuff. However, at the end you find out Klonoa is from another world, and he's promptly sent right back there, forced to leave behind everyone he befriended. In other games, it wouldn't be that bad, but it really contrasted with the rest of the game.
Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Liam_mk

i'm happy for y'all and imma let you finish but pong had the best ending of all time!  

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Capum15

Halo: Combat Evolved. Who didn't love watching that hell-hole explode? To a lesser extent, Halo 3's nod to Halo CE's opening sequence was a good touch (the Warthog run wasn't bad either).

I really liked Ace Combat 6's ending sequence as well. Pretty much from Mission 13 to the end. "Even after the darkest nights, morning always comes." Though I do think that the very end of the ending should've shown you flying through the sky, no matter how cliche that might have been.

Half Life 2's and it's episodes were pretty good, but not really "endings" as much as " goddamn cliffhangers".

Mass Effect 1 and 2, GTA: Vice City, San Andreas, and IV were good. Saint's Row 2's ending was alright.

I can't really think of anymore that stick out.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Red

Mass Effect 1 and 2.  
Oh, and Persona 4. 

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By DCFGS3

I really liked InFamous's ending.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By spankingaddict
@natetodamax said:
" Bioshock 2 had a pretty good ending I thought. "
yeah, but infamous has THE best ending imo...
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust

I felt Mass Effect 1 ending was cheesy, but Mass Effect 2 was very good.  

Resident Evil 4's was cool. 

Silent Hill 2 and KOTOR darkside ending were probably the best ones. 

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheFreeMan

The ending of Devil May Cry 3 was great.....fighting through the credits and just in general the insanity. I also really, really liked The World End's With You's ending, an ambigious but still upbeat one that the heroes deserved after all the shit they went through. Overall, my top one would probably be Metal Gear Solid 3.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By RedSox8933

The ending of GTA IV was really great in my opinion. It definitely fit with the somber tone of the whole game. I thought to myself, "Was all of this really worth it?" It made me think back on the entire game in a different light.

Also, telling the Illusive Man to fuck off at the end of Mass Effect 2 was awesome.

This would have gone to MGS4 if Kojima had some fucking balls.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gabriel

MGS3, Infamous

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Skytylz

Bioshock 2's ending was very moving.  I got on youtube and watched the other endings right after i beat it.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lucas_kelly
@RedSox8933 said:
" The ending of GTA IV was really great in my opinion. It definitely fit with the somber tone of the whole game. I thought to myself, "Was all of this really worth it?" It made me think back on the entire game in a different light.  Also, telling the Illusive Man to fuck off at the end of Mass Effect 2 was awesome.  This would have gone to MGS4 if Kojima had some fucking balls. "
The end to GTA IV was so anti-climatic and boring. You kill the guy and then that's it, the end. Anyway I think the Final Fantasy games always have great endings, as did Lost Odyssey. 
inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By inkeiren

Let's see...

Metal Gear Solid 3,
Metal Gear Solid 3,
oh and
Metal Gear Solid 3.

Final Fantasy X, and Half Life 2: Episode 2 was also great. I love extremely sad endings.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RedSox8933
@lucas_kelly: Wasn't it? You kill Dimitri (or Pegorino)  and then it's over. It was extremely anti-climatic. I guess that's what I like about it.
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Capum15
@lucas_kelly said:
" @RedSox8933 said:
" The ending of GTA IV was really great in my opinion. It definitely fit with the somber tone of the whole game. I thought to myself, "Was all of this really worth it?" It made me think back on the entire game in a different light.  Also, telling the Illusive Man to fuck off at the end of Mass Effect 2 was awesome.  This would have gone to MGS4 if Kojima had some fucking balls. "
The end to GTA IV was so anti-climatic and boring. You kill the guy and then that's it, the end. Anyway I think the Final Fantasy games always have great endings, as did Lost Odyssey.  "
It wasn't suppose to be climactic. That was the battle leading up to it, I guess.

It was more about going through all of that but not really making all that much of a difference in your life. I mean, either choice you made, people you knew died. "Was it worth it?" is the best way to sum it up.

"...We did it. You did it." 
"We did? What did we do?..."
MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By MadeinFinland

Am I the only one rooting for Assassin's Creed 2?

Oh, and I loved the ending for Prince of Persia. The whole game was rather mellow, imo, but the ending was moving.

Avatar image for fullmetal_cylon
fullmetal_cylon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fullmetal_cylon

ME1 and 2 rocked! I can't think of to many games whose endings gave me that sense of satisfaction. Bioshock was great considering I made it a point to not harvest a single little sister. I enjoyed FFIX's story a lot so that ending was satisfying. Brutal Legend was great at the end, but I felt the "I'm going to be back after I do this random thing that the player doesn't know about gets done." ending was lame since one of the reasons I stuck through the game was because I liked the characters so much. God of War 1 and 2 also rocked.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Capum15
@MadeinFinland: Totally forgot about AC2. That was a good one, in quite the "WTF" way. Poor Ezio, finally gets to an incredible event, and he's not even worth noting to the ones who came before.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jadeskye
@MadeinFinland said:
" Am I the only one rooting for Assassin's Creed 2?  Oh, and I loved the ending for Prince of Persia. The whole game was rather mellow, imo, but the ending was moving. "
Assassin's creed 2 was the first thing that came to mind in recent memory, i dropped my controller then dropped my jaw. 

i remember enjoying the end of final fantasy X like many here. final fantasy games in general have pretty solid endings. 

gears of war 2 was fairly epic. saint's row 2 was also just as epic, jumping from the cockpit of a helicopter into a building is pretty sweet.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Metal Gear Solid 3 without a doubt my friends :)

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Capum15

Another choice is Halo: Reach.

Why? Reach gets glassed and sets off what turns out to be Halo: Combat Evolved, due to the Cole Protocol (random slip-space jumps as to not lead the Covenant back to Earth or any major inner-colony). And setting Halo: CE in motion is awesome in it's own right.

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By pbhawks45
@mylifeforAiur said:
" Metal Gear Solid 3 without a doubt my friends :) "
Can someone refresh my memory on this?
Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mmmslash
@pbhawks45:  The Boss was a double-double agent. She defected from the US to work for the Soviets, only she defected from the US in order to actually aid the US.

Also, Ocelot was a triple agent, Eva was a double agent. Jack kills Big Boss, the woman who mentored him, and the greatest hero of American history, because he has to. He shoots her in a field of white flowers, and they all turn red and fan out from them. You can see her ghost with the ghost of The Sorrow, her old lover who was a psychic who passed away.

Also, Eva was a filthy whore who tries to steal the Philosopher's Legacy from jack, but she steals a fake. Ocelot has the real one.

MGS3 is convoluted.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Meowshi

Convoluted and great. 

Loved that fucking game and I love that fucking ending.  

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By Synthballs
@MadeinFinland said:
" Am I the only one rooting for Assassin's Creed 2?  Oh, and I loved the ending for Prince of Persia. The whole game was rather mellow, imo, but the ending was moving. "
Assassins Creed II was awesome. Made me want to play number III like then and there.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By Rhaknar

if i can include the final "act" as the ending, i thought Bayonetta was AMAZING. Sure its hugely cheesy, but the whole insanity of the last level / boss, how it keeps going each time you think its over, then you get the ending video, then you get playable credits, THEN you get the ubber cheesy but somewhat funny bayonetta dance video... its just a ton of content at the end of the game. I was really surprised

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Meltac

Half Life 2: Episode 2.

metal_mills2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By metal_mills2

The Witchers ending was great. So was Dragon Age's.

ScottishGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ScottishGamer

I loved GTA IV's Ending(s), I saw and played both and even though I traded it in for some crazy reason I really want to get it again and play it along with the new DLC. 

hmmm... trying to think of some more and Bioshock springs to mind, I loved that game even though on medium it was way too difficult....