• 177 results
metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

I found these just now. It's hilarious the insane reactions! It makes the Uncharted 3 8 review seem like a non-issue. Why weren't there multiple articles written about THIS? I bet they didn't get death threats at their home like Jeff did!  I did laugh at the topic "Jeff was abused as a child". Man, so angry! Hahaha. At that time on GameSpot 7 was A, 8 was AA and 9 was AAA. Any big game "had" to get AAA to be seen as worthy. So all this over 0.2 points. Crazy times my friends, crazy times.

No Caption Provided

Save this one to read it properly.
Save this one to read it properly.
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

lol

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Sayishere

Oh wow, thats funny.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By N7

Man. People were really mad at Jeff weren't they?

Fuck. I wasn't even this mad when my world got flipped, turned upside down. So I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there, and tell you how I got my priorities in check and never became angry at video game scores on the internet.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

I'm still laughing. Oohhhhhhh my god I love gamers. BAHAHAHHAHAHAA

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By landon

Looking back, an 8.8 was a little too generous for that game.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By solidlife

Trust me it was real anarchy in SW (System Wars, Gamespot) that day, I for one loved it and use to love games flopping and watching the reaction of the Internet? Another famous one was R&C TOD it got 7.5 SW nearly exploded, Im trying to think of more examples of the good old days of SW lol.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I just fondly remember glancing through all of the comments and reading "jeff gerstmann is fat". So plain and idiotic which left me with a chuckle, sadly.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By scarace360

should have got a 4

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

One of my least proud moments on the internet was sort of getting involved in that stuff. I was never one of the guys shouting and calling Jeff names and whatnot, but I did voice a strong dislike of the score in some of the threads on the GameSpot forums. I don't think I had even played the game at the time. I was an idiot. Fortunately, we grow up from that shit and realize how dumb it is. I'm sure most of the people posting them will look back now with embarrassment just as I do. It's one of those internet things. We've all been there. It seems weird that it's not actually that long ago, yet here I am looking back on it and thinking about how much of an idiot I was.

EDIT: I've actually gone back and had a look at my GameSpot posts from the time, and it's not as bad as I remember. I certainly remember agreeing with certain comments about the 8.8, and I remember talking to friends about it, but apparently I didn't post on the forums about it much. And just a few months after the review I said "gamespot scores are controversial at best, but just accept it and get on with life. its not the end of the world". Ignoring the terrible grammar, I'm quite pleased my 17 year old self had already woken up to it not being a huge deal.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Slaker117

Wait, Jeff gave Twilight Princess an 8.8? I'm going to kill that motherfucker in his sleep!

LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LibraryDues

Always seemed weird, especially since Twilight Princess seems to generally be looked on as one of the weaker entries in the series by fans.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EmuLeader

Its hilarious that someone cancelled a pre-order because the game got an 8.8. In my book, that's a really good score. It might not have been the perfect 10 people were looking for, but its just a review from one person's perspective. These people's/kid's lives must be pretty sad to be have made such a huge deal over something so insignificant as a number created by a single gamer who played the game.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Chummy8

It's a freaking score, from one review site. I'll never understand the thought process behind complaining about reviews. It's not like they personally developed the game or anything.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By solidlife

@MattyFTM: I remember some of your posts back then about the situation and dont worry I was the same, good thing is like you said we all grow up.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By metal_mills
@MattyFTM said:

One of my least proud moments on the internet was sort of getting involved in that stuff. I was never one of the guys shouting and calling Jeff names and whatnot, but I did voice a strong dislike of the score in some of the threads on the GameSpot forums. I don't think I had even played the game at the time. I was an idiot. Fortunately, we grow up from that shit and realize how dumb it is. I'm sure most of the people posting them will look back now with embarrassment just as I do. It's one of those internet things. We've all been there. It seems weird that it's not actually that long ago, yet here I am looking back on it and thinking about how much of an idiot I was.

I used to love getting into it. It was so dumb but hoping on and seeing some PS3 exclusive get a 7 and everyone explodes was hilarious. The name calling was always too much though. It was almost like gambling. Everyone put their bets on if a game would get AAA or not. These days I couldn't give a shit I just want good games.
mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By mosdl

will GB give Skyrim an 11.11?

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By jorbear

@Slaker117: Yeah! Now we're talking!

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By solidlife

@Metal_Mills: oh my do you remember Lair getting a 4.5? SW imploded. TCHBO. cows, hermits, sheep, headchog M$ ahh its all coming back to me now

Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mijati

Given that GameFAQs (and Gamespot given the merger) has a huge Nintendo (And Zelda Specifically) bias in the userbase it's no wonder they got upset. Although it's still completely stupid that's the main reason why that community blew it out of proportion more than most others.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Trilogy

That's the kind of stuff that makes me wish there wasn't a score attached to a review. I understand the actual importance of a score but sometimes I think it does more harm than good. How many people do you think made those threads without actually reading once sentence of his review?

The funny thing is, about a week ago I went looking through Gamespot's old Zelda reviews to find the "controversial" one. I didn't remember which game it was or what score it got. All I remembered was the backlash the score got from the community. When all I could find was high scores I was confused.

What were people so angry about? A decimal point or two? So silly...

rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By rockinkemosabe

Man, I remember that.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By vaiz

@N7 said:

Man. People were really mad at Jeff weren't they? Fuck. I wasn't even this mad when my world got flipped, turned upside down. So I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there, and tell you how I got my priorities in check and never became angry at video game scores on the internet.

At first, I rolled my eyes. This gag again. But then, the out of left field ending saved it. I applaud you, sir.

Also, I think I was like 14 or 15 when this whole debacle occurred and even then I thought those people were batshit retarded. Hey, you know what? Looking back, TP is a bunch of kind of uninspired moments of HEY REMEMBER THIS IS THIS OTHER GAME?! wrapped around game mechanics that are basically solid as ever. So, yeah, 8.8.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By FreakAche

I like all the topics complaining about GameSTOP's review staff. Also, Greg's (who would obviously have scored the game much higher) last name is apparently Kavision, and being fat invalidates one's opinion. These are gold!

Avatar image for the_great_skenardo
the_great_skenardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just reading up on this whole business last week, and it's kind of hilarious and kind of sad at the same time. On the one hand, it's "lol internet" but on the other hand I facepalm because it's arguably the worst part of video games as a medium.

Or I guess no matter what medium, fans ruin everything.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26  Edited By spiceninja

This is a blast from the past. I remember the outrage like it was yesterday.

ImBigInJapan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By ImBigInJapan

People get upset about the strangest things. That said if Skyward Sword gets less than 5 stars on this site Jeff is going to wake up in a bathtub with a missing kidney.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28  Edited By Dagbiker

@mosdl said:

will GB give Skyrim an 11.11?

no it gets a 1.1

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By toowalrus

Well... Jeff Gerstman IS fat... so obviously his review was wrong.

On a somewhat related note, I've been trying to bring myself to finish Twilight Princess before Skyward Sword comes out, but it's so god damn fucking boring- 8.8 was fucking generous.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By metal_mills
@solidlife said:

@Metal_Mills: oh my do you remember Lair getting a 4.5? SW imploded. TCHBO. cows, hermits, sheep, headchog M$ ahh its all coming back to me now

Haha, yeah. Although I knew that would be shit. The videos were so bad. I think I was a hermit. Cows were PS3, hermits were PC, sheep were Nintendo, hedgehogs were Sega, right? I should find some of my old threads see what insanely I created.
MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MayorFeedback

Gross.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#32  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Oh man do I remember that. Looking at that page of threads for people bitching about a review score of a game they had yet to play brings me some much needed glee. Honestly, Twilight Princess deserved worse. That game was such a rote by-the-numbers execution of the Zelda formula that I never actually finished it, despite being on the second to last dungeon. That game was a victim of its hype more than anything else. Remember that first trailer? BLADES WILL BLEED. SWORDS WILL SHATTER. Oh man. The Nintendrones deserved what they got

And, for more fun, here's Jeff's Video Review. Unsurprisingly, the comments are still on the idiot side.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By cornbredx

People are still complaining about it in the comments to the video review... lets remember folks this game came out 5 years ago haha

All I can say is... people.

I can't remember ever doing things like this. I will disagree with people and voice that but never threaten them or act like they're stupid. Definitely never over a meaningless score either.

And people call me weird.... right =P

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By BoG

I was not angry, but shocked and disappointed, because how could someone do Zelda so much wrong? It's Zelda. It deserves a 10, for no other reason than that it is Zelda. I needed to visit the guidance counselor when Wind Waker wasn't awarded and EGM Platinum. Murdering Mark MacDonald is still on my to do list for that devastating blow.

When I played Twilight Princess, I decided 8.8 was right on the money, if not a touch high.

Wind Waker still deserved that platinum, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twilight Princess was garbage.

I'm pissed at Jeff for not giving it below a 6.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Winternet

Those were the good old days. Man, that week was amazing. That's fanboy rage in a nutshell right there

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShaggE

I like how this sort of thing reminds me that, no matter how shitty things in my life may go, I'll never be pathetic enough to throw a tantrum because Game I Like 3: The Sequeling was called "great" instead of "crotch-grabbingly perfect in every possible way".

Side note: "Girthmann" is pretty funny, though. I have nothing but respect for Jeff, but a good pun is a good pun.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By GunstarRed

Tom Mcshea mentioned the 8.8 on the Hotspot last week... He said that Jeff rated the game too high.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

It actually kind of makes me sad. It's sad that something I enjoy is littered with disgusting people.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

This is why Giantbomb>GameFAQs

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BonOrbitz

I thought Jeff's score was right on the money. I disagree that TP was "garbage" or should have had a lower score.

Those forum posts were downright fucked up, however. What's wrong with those people?

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Tesla

Our frothing demand for blasts from the past increases.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PeasantAbuse

System Wars scared the shit out of me, I just stayed in OT.

mordi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mordi

I agree with the guy who wanted Greg Kavision to rerate the game.

Anyway, looking forward to 12 hours of Skyrim with Greg Kavision.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By zeforgotten

I remember laughing my ass off when that score popped up and the Gamespot forums went into a rage. I was sure there would be a mass suicide involved too, sadly that did not happen. I was just happy to be playing the game before commenting on if the score was valid or not and it was totally valid. the 8.8 score (AKA This Game is pretty fucking good, but not the best-score) was spot on for that game

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BrickRoad

I didn't really like TP that much... I loved WW though. I remember reading the review and thinking that it meant the game fell short of my expectations for a Zelda title, but decided that 8.8 was more than high enough to justify the purchase. In hindsight, I'd give it a 4/5. I couldn't believe the forum posts and the comments, but it did sort of open my eyes to the patheticness and immaturity found on the internet. 5 years on... nothings changed.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GreggD

@punkxblaze said:

@N7 said:

Man. People were really mad at Jeff weren't they? Fuck. I wasn't even this mad when my world got flipped, turned upside down. So I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there, and tell you how I got my priorities in check and never became angry at video game scores on the internet.

At first, I rolled my eyes. This gag again. But then, the out of left field ending saved it. I applaud you, sir.

They call it the Reverse Bel Air. You can only use it once, so choose wisely.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#48  Edited By 234r2we232

Good to see that the Internet has matured since then.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#49  Edited By Claude

I played it after his review was posted. I loved every minute of it. Jeff was wrong. At least an 8.9.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait a minute wait a minute. How could ANYBODY say thats a bad score or a bad game? I've played the game all the way through twice now, and its easily either the best- or it ties with a link to the past. Ocarina of time is a great game, but its missing something. Something twilight princess had. Bosses were epic. Dungeons were soooo greatly laid out. The city and the sky and there on out is probably the best gaming experience that could be had on the wii thus far. 8.8...I don't know. Twilight had a few problems of its own though. I'd say if halo 2 could get a 9.3 on average, I'd say twilight princess could easily get at least that.

Next thing is...unlike every other zelda game before it, it is a 30 hour adventure. Ocarina takes most people about 10-15 hours, But while even trying to speedrun twilight princess, the best I could get is 25 hours. Meaning, alot of people are not probably going to see the ending.