CNN Levels Up With Positive Game Press.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By End_Boss

In a recent article on CNN's website, the news behemoth interviewed the developers of Flower, Flow and Cloud on their recent artistic contributions to the hobby. This seems to be the closest thing to positive press video games have gotten in a long time, as someone is finally standing up and recognizing that Mortal Kombat and Grand Theft Auto aren't the only games that have ever been made.

+1 for CNN.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By lamegame621

Hmm. +1 indeed.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By lamegame621

I'm sorry no one else posted on this. I found it on the main page and thought the link was interesting. Oh well. I appreciate it anyway.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By BiggerBomb

/clap

+1 from me as well.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

If only we still had the post rating system :P.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By End_Boss

Hahaha. I thought this thread was lost to the depths of the forum. Oh well, good thing someone got the chance to give it a look.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

It just popped up to the top. I guess the thread was dead for so long, the body finally rose to the surface. Expect it to drop in a week :P.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

I guess if the games didn't suck, it would've been more worthwhile.  Still, it IS nice to see games that don't involve sex, drugs, violence, blood, gore, and Rapelay getting in the press.

Don't expect it to last, though...
Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kinarion

CNN's willingness to shed a positive light on Flower in no way bespeaks a change of heart for the network.  Flower, from the perspective of the American news media, has far more in common with Toy Story and Pixar than it does Mario or video games.  It is that sort of cognitive dissonance that will result in clips of Doom and Call of Duty filling TV screens the next time an angry teen decides to shoot up his school. 

And as far as the allocation of points is concerned, no network that still gives credence to the idea that players of violent video games are predisposed to antisocial behavior will be receiving any of mine.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By End_Boss
Kinarion said:
"CNN's willingness to shed a positive light on Flower in no way bespeaks a change of heart for the network."
No one said it does.
"Flower, from the perspective of the American news media, has far more in common with Toy Story and Pixar than it does Mario or video games.  It is that sort of cognitive dissonance that will result in clips of Doom and Call of Duty filling TV screens the next time an angry teen decides to shoot up his school."
Regardless of the perspective of the American news media, this story is still positive press for video games. That is undeniable. No one is claiming that because of this single story that the entire media's collective opinion will suddenly favor video games; there is no doubt in my mind that next time an act of senseless violence by a youth is committed, someone will blame games. This story constitutes the spark of the beginning of a change in a bias decades long in the making. Of course it won't change overnight.
Kinarion said:
"And as far as the allocation of points is concerned, no network that still gives credence to the idea that players of violent video games are predisposed to antisocial behavior will be receiving any of mine."
Okay.

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kinarion
End_Boss said:
That is undeniable. 
My point, really, is that I deny it.

It is my view that the video games that have wound up being lauded by the media, your Flowers and Wii Sports, have had no effect on the public perception of more hardcore video games.  Those more acceptable games are viewed distinctly from video-games by the public, and considered separately from the games of the thumb-on-stick variety that most here play.  No number of reports on these casual games, then, will ever produce any sort of change in perception in what most I readily define as a video game.  The best analogy I can muster for this, at least from the perspective of the resistant public, is broadcasting the Yu-Gi-Oh anime and hoping that people will eventually be okay with prime-time hentai.  Our understanding that the trappings of Gears of War and MySims are essentially the same means nothing unless some association occurs. 
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

jakob187 said:
" Still, it IS nice to see games that don't involve sex, drugs, violence, blood, gore, and Rapelay getting in the press."

I'd prefer the mainstream press playing games involving sex, drugs, violence, blood, gore, and Rapelay and having a good time.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

A lot of the mainstream media does present games in a positive light. It's not all "Video games will turn you into mindless murdering rapists!!!!". That is usually a very small section of the media.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

No, pretty much all of the big news outlets hate video games. Most local avaneues that I've seen as well. At least, that's the case in the US. The only news outlets that really support video games are well, the gaming press.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Played flower and to be honest, no, it's nothing.  You're just flying through the air.  Who cares?
Why is it that we have to be told blatanty when to look for this and when not to?  Had Braid not be full of pre-hype for this, people would have seen it as a good, but not great, platforme

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kinarion
SmugDarkLoser said:

Played flower and to be honest, no, it's nothing.  You're just flying through the air.  Who cares?
Why is it that we have to be told blatanty when to look for this and when not to?  Had Braid not be full of pre-hype for this, people would have seen it as a good, but not great, platforme

Do you mean that people think more highly of games with hype than those without it?  In my experience, anticipation has magnified flaws in a game and resulted in disappointment more often than unwarranted praise.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TwoOneFive
SmugDarkLoser said:
"

"
well i played it from start to finish, and have to say, it was a highly emotional experience. it really was just very satisfying. its a great gaming achievement. 
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24

Wow, that Kellee Santiago has one disturbing face.

Kudos to CNN for this positive press.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By OmegaPirate
RHCPfan24 said:
"Wow, that Kellee Santiago has one disturbing face. Kudos to CNN for this positive press."
xD

A disturbing face - i'm going to use that 1
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By End_Boss
Kinarion said:
"My point, really, is that I deny it. It is my view that the video games that have wound up being lauded by the media, your Flowers and Wii Sports, have had no effect on the public perception of more hardcore video games.  Those more acceptable games are viewed distinctly from video-games by the public, and considered separately from the games of the thumb-on-stick variety that most here play.  No number of reports on these casual games, then, will ever produce any sort of change in perception in what most I readily define as a video game.  The best analogy I can muster for this, at least from the perspective of the resistant public, is broadcasting the Yu-Gi-Oh anime and hoping that people will eventually be okay with prime-time hentai.  Our understanding that the trappings of Gears of War and MySims are essentially the same means nothing unless some association occurs.  "
Flower is absolutely a game of the "thumb-on-stick" variety. The rest of what you said is conjecture, so there's no way I can refute or support it.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Claude

Those games remind me of doing drugs.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By End_Boss
Claude said:
"Those games remind me of doing drugs."
You must be doing some absurd drugs. We should talk, exchange dealer information. =P
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Claude
End_Boss said:
"Claude said:
"Those games remind me of doing drugs."
You must be doing some absurd drugs. We should talk, exchange dealer information. =P"
I would like those games, played "Cloud", but they do remind me of an altering of reality type of game. I'm old now, did my time experimenting. I like my beers, wine and a shot once in a while.

I like to play College Hoops 2K8, now that's a lot of button presses and joystick maneuvers. If I try and play that game under any influence... not so good.