Dalai's 2009 awards thing: the fast and the dubious.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dalai

Sponsored by Pepsiman: DRINK!
Everybody is doing it and I did it last year so why not compile a list of game-related awards the mean nothing to anybody but me, Dalai? Because like I said, the entire community has done the same thing. This year I'm dedicating these awards to Pepsiman's glorious list of ridiculousness because I like her style (thanks Claude.)

The "Why did I spend $20 on virtual junk?" award - The Sims 3

The shrewd rulers of the EA empire realized the Stuff Packs from The Sims 2 were any easy way to make gobs of cash to fill their money bins so they just shifted their evil operations online. The Sims 3 Store lets you buy all sorts of useless crap like clocks, shelves, and hairstyles. And I am guilty of buying points for furniture sets that will sit in my inventory until it's deleted to make room for The Sims 4 in 5 years. And an honorable mention to DSiWare for its robust line of $2 clocks and notepads

Best use of a useless button - A Boy and His Blob

Hugging has gained some popularity in 2009. The Sims 3 obviously has useful hugs which actually make your Sim feel all gooey inside, but A Boy and His Blob actually makes you feel all gooey. Here's proof that the hug button can easily melt anyone's blackened heart. Now if A Boy and His Blob had a curse button

Best game that looks like a cartoon from 1989 - A Boy and His Blob

I've said this before, but A Boy and His Blob looks like it belongs in ABC's Saturday morning lineup right after The Mouse and the Motorcycle. Get O.G. Readmore on the phone now! 

Hugsies!
Hugsies!

The Siamese twins separated at birth award - InFamous/Prototype

If InFamous were in the dictionary, it would say, "see: Prototype." If Prototype were in the same dictionary, it would say, "see: InFamous." And then confusion ensues. 

Game least likely to offend actual Africans if they had access to a game console - Resident Evil 5

People made a stink about Resident Evil 5 and its black zombie revolution and it will be remembered as yet another lesson in how political correctness can go awry. For fuck's sake it's set in Africa! Zombies do not have Caucasian exclusivity as far as I know. Anyway, I'm sure most Africans could care less about a zombie shooter since they've got more pressing issues... like finding food and clean water. 

The "Alright, that's pretty racist." award - Black Baron

When Platinum Games decided to go all newspaper with their graphics in MadWorld, they probably forgot how blacks would be portrayed. And the Black Baron is walking stereotype right down to the unintentional blackface. Al Jolson would be proud of his legacy, but the NAACP is probably not too thrilled with the art style. 

Explain to me how this got past the ESRB?

Character most likely to eat your brains - Zombie

You were everywhere in 2009, generic zombie creature. I'm having a tough time thinking of a game that didn't have zombies in it... I think even Wii Fit Plus was technically a zombie add-on. 

Video game lifetime achievement award - Michael Jackson

From Michael Jackson's Moonwalker to Space Channel 5, Michael Jackson left his mark on the gaming industry in his own strange way. 

Best use of polygonal wang - Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned

It's one of those moments you didn't want to see, but once you did you couldn't unsee it. So ladies, you might complain about the excessive use of boobs in games, Rockstar did you a favor... maybe. 

Most unusual homage to an Italian plumber award - Assassin's Creed II

I think the video says it all. 

Best Metroid game of 2009 - Shadow Complex

We all know Shadow Complex is a straight-up ripoff of Super Metroid right down to the world map. I just wonder if Metroid: Other M could take the title in 2010? 

The "So Samus Aran now has giant boobs?" award - Metroid: Other M

A world where Team Ninja and Nintendo collaborate on a Metroid game is scary and awesome at the same time. I just wonder if the Team Ninja crew is going to make a few "enhancements" under the radar? Could Zero Suit Samus be more lliteral this time around? We just have to wait and see. 

Vin Diesel presents: the Vin Diesel award for best use of Vin Diesel in a Vin Diesel game - Wheelman

Or maybe The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena. I really just chose Wheelman because the title is shorter. 

Best use of a crystal skull - 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

And to think there was actually some competition in this category! I hope in a world where 50 Cent rules the universe, crystal skulls replace the U.S. dollar as the de facto currency of choice. 

The Nintendo E3 announcement most likely to anger gamers - Wii Vitality Sensor

Nintendo has a knack for pissing off millions of gamers who don't understand the casual push we've seen lately. And while Nintendo did throw a few bones to gamers who love their get their Zelda and Metroid on, the Vitality Sensor had us all befuddled. Seeing as we're all confused and angered, expect it to be widely popular next year. 

More awards tomorrow.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dalai

Everybody is doing it and I did it last year so why not compile a list of game-related awards the mean nothing to anybody but me, Dalai? Because like I said, the entire community has done the same thing. This year I'm dedicating these awards to Pepsiman's glorious list of ridiculousness because I like her style (thanks Claude.)

The "Why did I spend $20 on virtual junk?" award - The Sims 3

The shrewd rulers of the EA empire realized the Stuff Packs from The Sims 2 were any easy way to make gobs of cash to fill their money bins so they just shifted their evil operations online. The Sims 3 Store lets you buy all sorts of useless crap like clocks, shelves, and hairstyles. And I am guilty of buying points for furniture sets that will sit in my inventory until it's deleted to make room for The Sims 4 in 5 years. And an honorable mention to DSiWare for its robust line of $2 clocks and notepads

Best use of a useless button - A Boy and His Blob

Hugging has gained some popularity in 2009. The Sims 3 obviously has useful hugs which actually make your Sim feel all gooey inside, but A Boy and His Blob actually makes you feel all gooey. Here's proof that the hug button can easily melt anyone's blackened heart. Now if A Boy and His Blob had a curse button

Best game that looks like a cartoon from 1989 - A Boy and His Blob

I've said this before, but A Boy and His Blob looks like it belongs in ABC's Saturday morning lineup right after The Mouse and the Motorcycle. Get O.G. Readmore on the phone now! 

Hugsies!
Hugsies!

The Siamese twins separated at birth award - InFamous/Prototype

If InFamous were in the dictionary, it would say, "see: Prototype." If Prototype were in the same dictionary, it would say, "see: InFamous." And then confusion ensues. 

Game least likely to offend actual Africans if they had access to a game console - Resident Evil 5

People made a stink about Resident Evil 5 and its black zombie revolution and it will be remembered as yet another lesson in how political correctness can go awry. For fuck's sake it's set in Africa! Zombies do not have Caucasian exclusivity as far as I know. Anyway, I'm sure most Africans could care less about a zombie shooter since they've got more pressing issues... like finding food and clean water. 

The "Alright, that's pretty racist." award - Black Baron

When Platinum Games decided to go all newspaper with their graphics in MadWorld, they probably forgot how blacks would be portrayed. And the Black Baron is walking stereotype right down to the unintentional blackface. Al Jolson would be proud of his legacy, but the NAACP is probably not too thrilled with the art style. 

Character most likely to eat your brains - Zombie

You were everywhere in 2009, generic zombie creature. I'm having a tough time thinking of a game that didn't have zombies in it... I think even Wii Fit Plus was technically a zombie add-on. 

Video game lifetime achievement award - Michael Jackson

From Michael Jackson's Moonwalker to Space Channel 5, Michael Jackson left his mark on the gaming industry in his own strange way. 

Best use of polygonal wang - Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned

It's one of those moments you didn't want to see, but once you did you couldn't unsee it. So ladies, you might complain about the excessive use of boobs in games, Rockstar did you a favor... maybe. 

Most unusual homage to an Italian plumber award - Assassin's Creed II

I think the video says it all. 

Best Metroid game of 2009 - Shadow Complex

We all know Shadow Complex is a straight-up ripoff of Super Metroid right down to the world map. I just wonder if Metroid: Other M could take the title in 2010? 

The "So Samus Aran now has giant boobs?" award - Metroid: Other M

A world where Team Ninja and Nintendo collaborate on a Metroid game is scary and awesome at the same time. I just wonder if the Team Ninja crew is going to make a few "enhancements" under the radar? Could Zero Suit Samus be more lliteral this time around? We just have to wait and see. 

Vin Diesel presents: the Vin Diesel award for best use of Vin Diesel in a Vin Diesel game - Wheelman

Or maybe The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena. I really just chose Wheelman because the title is shorter. 

Best use of a crystal skull - 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

And to think there was actually some competition in this category! I hope in a world where 50 Cent rules the universe, crystal skulls replace the U.S. dollar as the de facto currency of choice. 

The Nintendo E3 announcement most likely to anger gamers - Wii Vitality Sensor

Nintendo has a knack for pissing off millions of gamers who don't understand the casual push we've seen lately. And while Nintendo did throw a few bones to gamers who love their get their Zelda and Metroid on, the Vitality Sensor had us all befuddled. Seeing as we're all confused and angered, expect it to be widely popular next year. 

More awards tomorrow.
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By cstrang

Hahah.  I like this.  I look forward to more.  My favorite is the "Alright, that's actually pretty racist" award.  And I remember that part of Assassin's Creed 2.  I was shocked, a little appalled, but I laughed.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By DanielJW

A Boy an His Blob should put those awards on it's GotY Edition.  

Also Assassin's Creed Mario caught me so off guard. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Lmao, one of my favourite GOTY-lists thus far.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

*raises hand* I was one of those people complaining about RE5. To be fair, it was AFTER I played the game, and it was because they actually tried to justify it in the story. "No, Umbrella made this new virus that makes people act like thin stereotypes. Trust us, we're gonna do the same thing in RE6." (Just you wait.)

Ratcabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Ratcabbage

Excellent GOTY list! I have a feeling the awards are fixed though. Some of the categories seem to favor specific games.        
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By asurastrike
@Ratcabbage said:
" Excellent GOTY list! I have a feeling the awards are fixed though. Some of the categories seem to favor specific games.         "
Yea, that's my only complaint. Some of the categories could really only have one nominee.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Meowayne

What a delightful, excellent post. Thank you.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Pepsiman

Oh man, I got to sponsor this blog!? Kickass! The holy word of both me and the original Pepsiman needs to be spread far and wide, so I'm glad you appreciate that.

@Ratcabbage: I can't speak for Dalai's list, but in mine, that's precisely the point. The idea is to take the whole self-esteem boosting "EVERYBODY'S A WINNER!" mentality applied so often elsewhere and take it to its insane conclusion. They might be very specific awards, but they're awards nonetheless. Besides, it's all for comedy and nothing more.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#11  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Brilliant write-up! 
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By meteora

These awards are brilliant and original, thank you for the good read. =D

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By AgentJ

Love ya Dalai. Can't wait for the additional awards.

Ratcabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ratcabbage
@Pepsiman:
Wow, I thought my sarcasm was measuring off the charts with my post. I guess I need to level that skill up. I understand that the list is humorous in its intent and the categories aren't meant to be taken seriously.  But come on, how many other games have an unusual homage to an Italian plumber in them? (+2 Sarcasm!)
Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Tordah

I approve of these awards.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

More hugging.

No Caption Provided
Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Luke

Awesome blog post!  *thumbs-up* 

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crystalskull2

Its a weird but good list.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Romination

Gee, like the part where inFAMOUS and Prototype are actually NOT that much alike when you actually PLAY them? Like one's slower and more deliberately paced, has some shooter mechanics and lightning powers with neat little touches like you electrocuting puddles, and the other is just balls-out fast, violence, gore, and exploded helicopters?

Also, the Black Baron didn't get past the ESRB. He's in an M-rated game, what else do you want?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dalai
@Abyssfull said:
" Lmao, one of my favourite GOTY-lists thus far. "
@Meowayne said:
" What a delightful, excellent post. Thank you. "
@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
" Brilliant write-up!  "
@Meteora said:
" These awards are brilliant and original, thank you for the good read. =D "
@Tordah said:
" I approve of these awards. "
@Luke said:
" Awesome blog post!  *thumbs-up*  "
I'm gonna use these quotes for the upcoming DVD release of the actual awards ceremony.
Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Naughton
@Romination said:
" Gee, like the part where inFAMOUS and Prototype are actually NOT that much alike when you actually PLAY them? Like one's slower and more deliberately paced, has some shooter mechanics and lightning powers with neat little touches like you electrocuting puddles, and the other is just balls-out fast, violence, gore, and exploded helicopters?  Also, the Black Baron didn't get past the ESRB. He's in an M-rated game, what else do you want? "

And InFamous is great, where Prototype is kind of shit.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By bonbolapti

I hope Vin Diesel Raises the bar again this year.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ttocs

Found this post by accident but it's awesome!  Nice job!

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Goly

Really cool list, congrats!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ghostiet

Stellar list. Although the inFAMOUS/Prototype part was a bit meh, as they're different games actually.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Snail

Amazing list dude. Great job.