Decent gaming PC or Playstation 3?

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gizmo

So after getting incredibly pissed with my broken Xbox, I decided I needed some other machine to use with my TV, which I have hardly got to use thanks to the Xbox's incompetence to work.

No Caption Provided

I actually had been considering getting a Blu-Ray player for a while, and from what I have heard the Playstation is the best one on the market, due to the firmware updates straight from Sony.
But my Pc Elitist friend says that getting one is a GRAVE error, but I don't see why, Killzone 2 looks great.
But what else on the Playstation 3 look great? As many of you on these forums know, I dislike God Of War and the Metal Gear Solid franchise, what games would there be for me to look out for?

I would probably end up getting addicted to WoW once more if I went down the PC gaming route, and I would have a very small budget with which to buy a PC with, meaning the gaming on it would be far from Playstation 3 graphics/FPS/resolution.

So, if anyone here has any feedback or suggestions, please comment, i'm really confused here.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Karmum

Depends whether or not you are more interested in the games on the PC or games on the PS3.

GiantRetard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By GiantRetard

getting a ps3 would be a better idea than getting a pc  because of the price needed to build a desent  gaming pc

ps3 exclusives to look foward to are uncharted 2 among thieves , killzone 2 , infamous , and just about all the games that come out on the 360 come out the ps3

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By shadows_kill

with a ps3 valkyria chronicles, folklore, cross edge, and disgaea 3 for rpgs. killzone 2, resistance 1 and 2, and socom for shooters. uncharted drakes fortune, uncharted among theives, heavenly sword, god of war 3, mgs4, lbp, and more. all of those are exclusives also. so if you get a ps3 you got alot more choices than a ok gaming pc because ps3 will get more gaming and ps3 will be a blu ray player.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

PC would be my own answer, but PS3 has a good amount of exclusives coming this year, so I guess it comes down to what you have an interest in, since PC games this year are mostly multiplatform ones.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gizmo

Thanks for the comments, I don't think I am a HUGE fan of PC games, in fact the community is shite, very stuck-up and elitist.

I have another question, how is the media streaming on the PS3? I did do a lot of HD-WMV streaming on my Xbox, does the PS3 do all this?

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By shadows_kill

i dunno what HD-WMV is but basicaly put in the disk. go to the movie area. click X on the movie and it starts. you can still send messages etc. during the movie by pressing the PS button and download demos etc. from the store while playing them.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

It depends on what your looking for. The library for PC is much larger, of course, but the gameplay on the PS3 is probably more familiar. Being a PC gamer, myself, I'll definitely advocate that, and while it is a little more expensive than the PS3, you can build your own PC for cheaper than you may have heard (if you live in the US, at least), especially if you already have a desktop, as you can re-use parts.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422
Gizmo said:
"Thanks for the comments, I don't think I am a HUGE fan of PC games, in fact the community is shite, very stuck-up and elitist.

I have another question, how is the media streaming on the PS3? I did do a lot of HD-WMV streaming on my Xbox, does the PS3 do all this?"
It really isn't, there are far more 360 and PS3 fanboys going at each others throats, and 12 year olds screaming your head off in the mix of that than any PC "elitists", but if that's a good enough reason for yourself then fine. Like I said, let the games that interest you do the talking, only go for PS3 if you have a big interest in some of the exclusives coming out to it, and more than just one I'd say. As for media streaming, I've never tried it on PS3, I would imagine you can do it, it just may be a bit harder since the 360 is a microsoft system and all and the PS3 isn't.
bartholomew999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By bartholomew999

This question all comes down to 2 things;

1. can you maintain a gaming pc - upgrades, drivers, etc?

2. Do you like the choice of mainstream current games?  ie. Will not being able to play Resistance 2, LBP, God of War 3, burn your bacon?

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By thordain
Gizmo said:
 I don't think I am a HUGE fan of PC games, in fact the community is shite, very stuck-up and elitist.
Why thank you, we try.
Its actually not that bad, if you can avoid the couple of games that are filled with jerks(COUNTER-STRIKE) then you can have a lot of fun. There are plenty of great games with great communities.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Absurd

I am a PC gamer, and I don't know, Sometimes I'd like to just have a PS3, It'd save all the random error messages and all that stuff.

Thordain said:

"Gizmo said:
 I don't think I am a HUGE fan of PC games, in fact the community is shite, very stuck-up and elitist.
Why thank you, we try.
Its actually not that bad, if you can avoid the couple of games that are filled with jerks(COUNTER-STRIKE) then you can have a lot of fun. There are plenty of great games with great communities."

Hey, Us Counter Strike players aren't all jerks :P
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince

I already have a great PC, and I have a PS3. I'd still end up getting a PS3 though.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Gunner

ps3 might be cheaper and will run games better (if your only spending 500 on a PC). So i would go with a PS3 if the only thing you want to do is play games.

Leopard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Leopard

PC is more versatile. And mods often bring value to PC games.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Red

I'd say a PS3. No system requirement worries, blu-ray and a lot of games. Plus, more games come out PS3/360 than 360/PC and even without MGS4 and GoW, Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Valkyria Chronicles and Ratchet and Clank are all totally awesome games.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks

Go PC again...PS3 games suffer badly in multi-platform games which make up the vast bulk of titles these days.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Dude

I would say build yourself a bad ass PC.
And like said earlier, I think the hardcore 360 and PS3 fanboys can be a lot worse then PC fan boys. One big difference though is when there is a game that is multiplat and you have two guys saying "no 360s graphics are better and the game is more stable" and another saying "no PS3 is the superior version!" and then out of no where the PC dude comes in and says "your both wrong, PC is the better version"  normally you can't argue (unless its a GTA4 type case).

But my point is that some PC gamers might come across as elitest or arrogant, but most of the time (I emphasize on "most") they are just telling you facts.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Optiow

Ps3 is good if you want heaps of games, but if you are looking for top grapics good quality then a PC.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By coakroach

Wait for Starcraft II and Diablo III before going PC

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pause422
coakroach said:
"Wait for Starcraft II and Diablo III before going PC
"
There's plenty of better reasons to care about PC than just Diablo 3 and SC2, that's just the typical answer people give when they're completely ignorant. I want to play them sure, however I'm not sure I want to deal with the bullshit Blizzard is pulling for them.
The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Dude
Optiow said:
"Ps3 is good if you want heaps of games, but if you are looking for top grapics good quality then a PC."
Wait, wait, wait...are you saying that PS3 has a better library then PC?
coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By coakroach
pause422 said:
"coakroach said:
"Wait for Starcraft II and Diablo III before going PC
"
There's plenty of better reasons to care about PC than just Diablo 3 and SC2, that's just the typical answer people give when they're completely ignorant. I want to play them sure, however I'm not sure I want to deal with the bullshit Blizzard is pulling for them."
Call me ignorant then cause both of those games look wildly awesome
*shakes fist*
Also Team Fortress 2  on the PC remains probably the best multiplayer shooter ever and its like twenty bucks
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pause422

I'm not disagreeing they both look good, although I'm more interested in D3 than SC2 by a lot. The way you said it though made it come out as in "There's nothing on PC at all, UNTIL these 2 games come out", is what I mean sounded kind of ignorant. I love TF2 on PC too, I play it nearly everyday.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gizmo

So I was going to get a Blu-Ray player as it was, but this seems to be a lot better... what is the failiure rate like, I mean, I LOVE my Xbox but I absolutely despise it at the same time for being so shoddily made. Also, Gabe Newell of Valve says the PS3 is a waste of everyones time, does he have a point with that?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By get2sammyb
Gizmo said:
"So I was going to get a Blu-Ray player as it was, but this seems to be a lot better... what is the failiure rate like, I mean, I LOVE my Xbox but I absolutely despise it at the same time for being so shoddily made. Also, Gabe Newell of Valve says the PS3 is a waste of everyones time, does he have a point with that?
"
All electronics break. 360's failure rate is 33% with the PS3 sitting at less than 1% according to that particular article. PS3's hardware is simply beautifully designed, machines is close to silent, rarely gets hot, you can easily (and cheaply) upgrade your hard drive, there's no massive power brick, controllers don't require batteries, wi-fi as standard.

There are plenty of games on the PS3, exclusive and multiplatform. It's not true that all PS3 games suffer from being bad "ports" -- mentionable ones are Fallout 3 whereas others like Soul Calibur 4 actually look better. PSN is free so even if you don't like it as much as XBOX Live you're never paying for it so it's no biggie. It's still perfectly capable of allowing you to jump into games and play with friends mind.

Exclusives this year include Killzone 2, Infamous, God Of War III, a new Ratchet & Clank, Heavy Rain and probably more to be announced. There is also a TON of exclusive content coming to the Playstation Store.

Can't argue the corner of PC gaming I'm afraid.

Dunno what Gabe Newell is on about. Whatever.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gizmo

I think i'll make the plunge, i'll keep my Xbox though as I still want see how Alan Wake turns out.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By get2sammyb
Gizmo said:
"I think i'll make the plunge, i'll keep my Xbox though as I still want see how Alan Wake turns out."
I don't think you'll regret it. The PS3 is an excellent platform and it's improving all the time. Given the number of exclusives coming out this year even if the PS3 isn't your "primary" platform I'm sure you'll still get lots of use out of it.
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I say PS3 because all the games are designed to run specifically on the PS3 system, whereas PC games are designed to run on multiple platforms that all vary in hardware settings. The point is, most PS3 games will run smoother than the PC game, depending on the hardware of the PC.

On the other hand, games on PC are customizable when you consider mods and patches and updates.

In the end, it's completely up to you. If I were in the same position,  I would get a PS3, simply because I already own a decent gaming PC.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hexpane
GiantRetard said:
"getting a ps3 would be a better idea than getting a pc  because of the price needed to build a desent  gaming pc

I have both a PS3 and a PC, the price was actually about the same when you throw in the cost of controllers, BRD remote, memory card adapter, cables etc... You can build a decent gaming PC for $600 easy, spend $1K and you can get yourself a 24" HD monitor

You also have far more choice for gaming on the PC, and for "next gen" gaming the PC can do WAY better resolutions and graphics than the PS3 or XBOX even w/ a cheap video card for like $100.

The reason to get a PS3 is NOT for FPS games, it's clearly for the Sony bound franchises and odd exclusive.  Uncharted, MGS, Valk Profile, God of War, Gran Turismo.. but if you don't like those franchises there is no reason to get a PS3 right now.

I have BOTH because you can't get some games on both.  And even when some games are on both, like Fallout 3, the PS3 version SUCKS DIRTY DOG ASS
Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Maru

If your budget is tight and don't need a new PC.. I would say PS 3... since you already own Xbox 360 (which is basically PC's little cousin).  I will probably pick one up my self later this year.

Bullet_Jr said:

"I say PS3 because all the games are designed to run specifically on the PS3 system, whereas PC games are designed to run on multiple platforms that all vary in hardware settings. The point is, most PS3 games will run smoother than the PC game, depending on the hardware of the PC.

On the other hand, games on PC are customizable when you consider mods and patches and updates.

In the end, it's completely up to you. If I were in the same position,  I would get a PS3, simply because I already own a decent gaming PC."

Any decent gaming PC will rip apart PS3 in performance.  My girlfriend's PC, which I built for $650, last year.. can max out any game except, Crysis and GTA 4 (but still looks better then PS3 versison)
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By Arkthemaniac

PS3 would probably be less expensive, and if it's really just a temporary thing due to RRoD or whatever, spending a lot on a gaming computer would probably be a mistake.

Killzone 2, as well. Killzone 2.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gizmo

I think i'll keep the 360 as it has some good exclusives, but the PS3 is apparently a great Blu-Ray player.

1 question;

Is the PS3 a noisy machine compared to the 360?