DEVELOPER PODCAST: How Do We Set Up Our Sites

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

Edited By coonce

So we have decided to take the Whiskey Developer Podcast (The Speakeasy) in a new direction. In the upcoming podcasts (and related blog posts) we'll be talking more about code and the tools and tricks we're using to help us build our sites. Along with each podcast, we'll be publishing code snippets and examples to help listeners follow along and hopefully use/discuss the code we're releasing. The goal being, to give the community a deeper understanding of the technology we use to build our sites and to help budding developers grow 

In this podcast, we discuss how we go about setting up the data structures for our sites - as well as how we use Python and Django to abstract a number of repetitive tasks in the process. We also talk about the current projects each of us are currently working on, as well as what you can expect from the team in the near future.

The associated code samples (and all future code samples) are hosted atGitHub.

The Podcast:

The Source Code:

As a side note - Dave's audio gets a little wonked up about halfway through the podcast (I'm still trying to nail it all down) -- so bear w/ us :)

Enjoy... and as always, we welcome all feedback and questions.
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By coonce

So we have decided to take the Whiskey Developer Podcast (The Speakeasy) in a new direction. In the upcoming podcasts (and related blog posts) we'll be talking more about code and the tools and tricks we're using to help us build our sites. Along with each podcast, we'll be publishing code snippets and examples to help listeners follow along and hopefully use/discuss the code we're releasing. The goal being, to give the community a deeper understanding of the technology we use to build our sites and to help budding developers grow 

In this podcast, we discuss how we go about setting up the data structures for our sites - as well as how we use Python and Django to abstract a number of repetitive tasks in the process. We also talk about the current projects each of us are currently working on, as well as what you can expect from the team in the near future.

The associated code samples (and all future code samples) are hosted atGitHub.

The Podcast:

The Source Code:

As a side note - Dave's audio gets a little wonked up about halfway through the podcast (I'm still trying to nail it all down) -- so bear w/ us :)

Enjoy... and as always, we welcome all feedback and questions.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Stang

I am far to retarded to do anything remotely close to what you accomplish, but I will give the podcasrt a listen :)

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Luke

Kewl!  I'm downloading it now. 

Thanks and grats on #2! :)

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By lordofultima

Hey buddy, pretty cool podcast! Maybe you taking notes on the Giant Bombcast has been paying off? Hahah.

KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By KingOfIceland

Is there a chance these could become available on iTunes?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Scooper

Cool. New podcast. I like these dev casts.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By sweep  Moderator

As someone who is currently learning C and Python - this is totally awesome. You rock Coonce!

stillmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By stillmotion

Glad you guys are pissed off with Django's lack of a migration framework. I can't tell you how much that annoys me, and the fact that they're not even thinking about implementing one frustrates me even more. Hopefully we'll hear about something when 1.1 is finally behind us.

Could you guys talk about your video encoding process? Do you transcode on a server? Is it done by hand? Is all media on S3? Does S3 kill your budget with +1 million pages view?
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Will that achievement thing work with trophies for PS3?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By get2sammyb
Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
"Will that achievement thing work with trophies for PS3? "
Nay. They said on the GiantBomb podcast no - purely because Sony haven't made the tools available to make it possible.

However, Dave confirmed that the moment Sony sort out that side of trophies (which you have to assume they are working on) - then it will be implemented.
jlrm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By jlrm01

Ahh, so it was PIL that you used after all. I love PIL and quite a lot of the programs I make use it in one way or another.

You guys mention Ruby on Rails... why didn't you choose it instead of Django?

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By coonce
jlrm01 said:
"Ahh, so it was PIL that you used after all. I love PIL and quite a lot of the programs I make use it in one way or another. You guys mention Ruby on Rails... why didn't you choose it instead of Django?"
We went back and forth between whether or not we were going to build our framework (and the sites) in Rails or Django (we actually tossed around the idea of building our own web framework in PHP, since we were all familiar with it) - and we eventually decided that Django was the way we wanted to go. Andy knew Python and really liked coding in it - we just followed his lead.... and I must say that I personally love it. Python is such a powerful language and Django is an awesome web framework. It does a lot of the heavy lifting for you (as does Rails), and it does a great job of keeping your projects organized and maintainable. 

And - not to offend any Rails developers - but we had heard horror stories of Rails not being able to scale and were a little turned off by that. 
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By coonce
stillmotion said:
"Glad you guys are pissed off with Django's lack of a migration framework. I can't tell you how much that annoys me, and the fact that they're not even thinking about implementing one frustrates me even more. Hopefully we'll hear about something when 1.1 is finally behind us.

Could you guys talk about your video encoding process? Do you transcode on a server? Is it done by hand? Is all media on S3? Does S3 kill your budget with +1 million pages view?
"
We're still trying to figure out what we're going to discuss on the next podcast (as well as the direction we want to take it) - but I'm sure Andy would have no problem talking about how we encode and push videos on our sites. Short answer: We try to automate as much of the encoding process as we can. Yes, we use s3 to host them. And yes, it is damn expensive.... its not nearly as expensive as using Akamai or some other storage and delivery service, but we do get a large bill at the end of every month.

As for the migration framework we use - its called South and can be found here. Andy is one of the co-developers on the project and it is extremely helpful in keeping our team in sync. We'll talk about it in more depth in another podcast. But I would highly recommend checking it out and dropping feedback, or even contributing to the project.
jlrm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By jlrm01

Thanks for the answer. I really like the "more technical" direction the podcast is taking, and love the code examples, too. I was wondering about the database model for your sites, as I think I will have to imitate it somewhat for one of my programs (that uses both the API and web scraping for things I can't get through the API), but using sqlalchemy. Maybe in the summer I can actually work on that part. ^_^;

New sites are mentioned... and I was thinking: aren't you guys afraid of "spreading yourselves too thin"? How much more "attention" is needed from you guys when a new site comes up (I mean after the initial launch phase)? The code base is the same, but each site has its differences that may require bug fixing from time to time, and new major features may be needed (such as the Achievements, I guess) than don't work well (or at all) on multiple sites. The "editorial staff" will handle the content side, I guess, but the editorial staff is small, too, so things like deleting wiki pages (that only the staff can make) take a long time (it is really bad at AV). Are delegating these kind of things to mods being considered or is this the editorial staff's decision to make?

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#15  Edited By citizenkane

For some reason I just realized this was here.  I'll listen to it today!

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By mracoon

Downloading now. The last one was great so I'm looking forward to this one.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#17  Edited By LordAndrew

Oh yeah, gotta remember to listen to this.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By matthew

I don't know how in the world I didn't notice this when it came out, but I'm downloading the two podcasts right now...this should be good.   

Also, since this happened quite a bit ago, I guess Sean nipped it in the bud.  Thats too bad, info on what goes on behind the doors of my favorite website is always a plus.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By natetodamax

How have I not seen this until now? o_O

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Aetos

Huh, well this looks interesting.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FCKSNAP

Wow, were there any more to these?

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Wow, I've never heard these. I've never used python or any of those languages. It would be interesting to hear more. COONCE!

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fbomb

Very cool. This gives me a reason to get back to my web design roots after some long days analyzing beer data.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By matthew
@Snapstacle said:
" Wow, were there any more to these? "
The one other I could find is here.  They should totally bring these back.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ISuperGamerI

This is a great idea and will help people who are building new websites.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By sagesebas
@coonce: Thank you very,very much for this podcast!
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By coonce
@sagesebas: no worries guys --- wish we had done a few more of them :)
sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sagesebas
@coonce: Just glad it's here, I have a little knowledge of python and am interested in this stuff, so podcasts like this are really informative and rad
FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FireSketch
@coonce:  Thanks for these anyway. :) How much has the general site structure changed since you put this up?
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I can't believe this came out a year ago. I totally failed to notice it at the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coonce:   Speakeasy Reunion? 
andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By andrela

Would love to have another one of these. Seeing as 2 more whiskey sites have launched in the last year. Would be interesting to see how they went about doing screeneds coding

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Steve_C

Forgot about these. These were good! More should be made.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By eroticfishcake

Should be interesting for a beginner programmer like myself. Also, I know this probably isn't the right place to ask but have you guys checked out the bug reporting forums? There's lots of stuff that needs fixing...

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Red12b
@Matthew said:
" I don't know how in the world I didn't notice this when it came out, but I'm downloading the two podcasts right now...this should be good.    Also, since this happened quite a bit ago, I guess Sean nipped it in the bud.  Thats too bad, info on what goes on behind the doors of my favorite website is always a plus. "
yeah man, why the hell wasn't this more noticed, I am listening to it now,  

Cheers guys, It would be cool if you could talk about your ideas behind screened and tested,  

actually, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but there are big words, it sounds interesting, so, yeah, i'm going to go with cool, and interesting but waaaaay over my head. 
thanks anyway. awesome. 
Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Monk

Didn't see this thread the first time. 
Petition for more of these podcasts :D
The podcast name makes even more sense now that Whiskey Media has its own bar.

b33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#37  Edited By b33

nice! 
i'm pretty much at a basic level and i loved this podcast , i would love some more episodes :)

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#38  Edited By dudacles
@KingOfIceland said:
" Is there a chance these could become available on iTunes? "
I am wondering this too.
Overwatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Overwatch

Awesome. But really need RSS feed for this beast so I can put it in Google Reader.

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By coonce
@FireSketch said:
" @coonce:  Thanks for these anyway. :) How much has the general site structure changed since you put this up? "
it has and it hasn't. we're always tweaking performance/fixing bugs/adding new features/etc...... but the overall architecture and framework has been consistent since we built comicvine.
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By coonce
@hedfone said:
" @coonce:   Speakeasy Reunion?  "
for me, probably not..... we did just hire some rockstar developers however and they may be interested in talking about our stuff.....
VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Nerds!

FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FireSketch
@coonce:  Great, thanks. It's good to know this is still relevant.
b33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#44  Edited By b33
@VisariLoyalist said:
" Nerds! "
Nerd is the new cool