Do I need to play the original Dead Space to enjoy the sequel?

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Today both Dead Space games went up on Steam for 10 dollars, and I quickly bought both, as I have wanted to play them. Well, Dead Space 2 more so, specially since it was just highly touted during the end of the year awards and such. My question is a usual one, do I need to play the original to enjoy the second game? Or can I start with the second and enjoy it as much? I know that may sound weird, since I bought both, but I am kind of not so interesting in playing the original. Despite having it in the back of my mind for so many years now.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By WMWA
@PainGod89

Today both Dead Space games went up on Steam for 10 dollars, and I quickly bought both, as I have wanted to play them. Well, Dead Space 2 more so, specially since it was just highly touted during the end of the year awards and such. My question is a usual one, do I need to play the original to enjoy the second game? Or can I start with the second and enjoy it as much? I know that may sound weird, since I bought both, but I am kind of not so interesting in playing the original. Despite having it in the back of my mind for so many years now.

Yes, you really need to play the first to get everything out of two. I personally like the first more anyway. Both are great though
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Since you got the games, why not?

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Akeldama

The best moment in Dead Space 2 is a sequence that directly preys upon your knowledge of the first game.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By Danteveli

You can start with the secons since thyere is almost no story in it. First one has story and climate. Second one is action. There will be one section in game you may not understand without knowledge of first one. You board the same ship that you did in DS1.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Finish the first and fully upgrade the Plasma Cutter. You get a awesome version of it if you have a save for the second game. 

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By ZenaxPure

You should just play the first because it's awesome to be honest. I mean mechanically it's sound, the shooting works, the guns are fun, and there is a lot of stuff to mix up the action (zero-g, space basketball, etc).

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShadyPingu

I'd hardly call it essential from a storyline perspective. The DS fiction is pretty thin overall. Still, it's a mechanically solid enough game that it doesn't feel old, so I'd give it a go anyway.

downtime58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By downtime58

I'd play them both - the first one is excellent - perhaps even more atmospheric.

My only suggestion is don't play them both in a row - I burned out on Dead Space 2 near the end because I'd played so much Dead Space in a short time - they play quite similar - but that could be my own tolerance level too.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stete

Start with the first one and if you find it a bit repetitive then go ahead and skip to the second one.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By cinemandrew

@PainGod89: The first one is such a fantastic game, there's no reason to pass it up. It's twice as much of a great thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cinemandrew: Yeah, but I have kind of moved away from the survival horror genre. Where'as loved them as a kid. Or is the first game more action than I think it is?

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Grimluck343

@Akeldama said:

The best moment in Dead Space 2 is a sequence that directly preys upon your knowledge of the first game.

This. I would definitely finish the first game before starting the second.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

@Grimluck343 said:

@Akeldama said:

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#15  Edited By natetodamax

You should play the first game. It's fantastic.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By lead_farmer

@Akeldama said:

This is quite true.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

You shouldn't have to. However, as I've played neither, I have no idea.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By phantomzxro

You don't really need to play the first to enjoy the second but it will add to your enjoyment if you have played the first.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, you've all convinced me...the first game it is.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TentPole

@PainGod89: You should really play the first as I think it is better and the beginning of 2 will spoil the entire story of the first game. A big part of the first game is finding out where the creatures came from and tracking down Nicole. If you skip it a lot of the mystery of the first game is ruined.

@PainGod89 said:

@cinemandrew: Yeah, but I have kind of moved away from the survival horror genre. Where'as loved them as a kid. Or is the first game more action than I think it is?

The first game still has plenty of action. It is about on par with Resident Evil 4 if you played that game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TentPole: OK, than I will definitely play it, as Resident Evil 4 is one of my all-time favorite games. I was thinking that it had action, but was a little more, old-school resident Evil, than new school Resident Evil.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By ZenaxPure
@PainGod89 said:

@TentPole: OK, than I will definitely play it, as Resident Evil 4 is one of my all-time favorite games. I was thinking that it had action, but was a little more, old-school resident Evil, than new school Resident Evil.

Nope, Dead Space is all about walking and shooting. There are some legit creepy/scary moments in the game but really it's nothing bad. There isn't even ammo problems or anything like that either. 

Edit: meant DS1, not 2, though I assume 2 is exactly the same in design.
Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sarkhan

@wmaustin55 said:

@PainGod89

Yes, you really need to play the first to get everything out of two. I personally like the first more anyway. Both are great though

Agree. I also enjoyed the first more, but as said, both are great.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BRich

The first is a better game, so just pick that one up and go from there.

zrais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zrais

Yeah, first game is incredible, and the moments in DS2 that tie into DS1 are amazing.

Avatar image for makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto
Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first one's the scarier experience betwixt the two anyways, so why're you so ready to skip ahead to 2?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By cornbredx

You dont HAVE to, but the first focuses more on atmosphere and is better in that department. The second is more action focused (but not really THAT different mechanically- they just sped a lot of it up a little bit and gave more reason to use different weapons and improved on base mechanics in really good ways). 

Savor the first, then dig into the second. They're both really good.  
Don't forget to check out the stomp in dead space 2. NEVER FORGET!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM

I think you're going to play the first, since you kind of just said you would, but still, I'll say my thoughts. You definitely need to play the first Dead Space, not only 'cause of the fantastic story, but because the original is still an amazing game as a whole, especially on PC (though there's a lack of DLC unfortunately). I hope you enjoy them for the greatness they are. Those are my top two favorite games if I had to choose. There's small recommendations though for how you should play them, but I'll let you play as you will and see how it is for yourself.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NTM

@PainGod89 said:

It's a horror game, but I wouldn't really call it a survival horror in the typical sense. It's more like action horror; but best of all, they both have a fantastic atmosphere in the great genre of sci-fi. They'll both be more survival horror if you play them on hard (which I recommend you do play for more immersion). You should drop all other games and stick to these two games. THEY ARE AMAZING :) I love games and film where the setting can make me wonder what's beyond just what you see in the game, and you'll eventually ask for more, Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are those games.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Abyssfull said:

@Grimluck343 said:

@Akeldama said:

FYI, if you skip the first game, we're gonna hunt you down. 
(I'm joking).
sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#31  Edited By sammo21

@PainGod89: You will appreciate story beats more, but its not necessary. Both games are good but the shooting is better in 2.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32  Edited By Jeust

I'm currently playing through Dead Space again, and I have to say that is a great game, and very much worth playing. Though Dead Space 2 is bigger and with a more fluid (perfected) gameplay, in terms of ambience (mood) Dead Space 1 is much better. A pity that DS lost that tension and feeling of dread in the transition. I hope Dead Space 3 will improve on it.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Sunjammer

Dead Space 2 is superb, and it's also very much its own game. I strongly prefer Dead Space 1, and Dead Space 2 is fucking awesome. So that says a lot. I think you can enjoy each as their own thing, but DS2 is more of a fast paced shooter, and is thus a much less scary experience, and is much less surprising. DS1 feels like you're constantly getting progressively more fucked. If you ever played Thief 1, it has the same vibe as Down in the Bonehoard; You keep going deeper and you feel more and more doomed. DS2 I finished in a single sitting. DS1 forced me to take breaks; It was just so damn tense.

I don't think you need to play Dead Space any more than you need to play Dead Space Extraction, but I *would* play them all. My favorite new franchise in what feels like a decade.

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Nitrocore

I played the 2nd game first, and I think i'm missing 1 of the original achivements for it. I traded it with a friend for the first one, and I really didn't like it compared to the second game. Also, first second 1st and 2nd.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#35  Edited By Hizang

You can still enjoy and get pretty much everything out of DS2 without playing DS, but you should still play DS cause it's awesome.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By mordukai

Play them both. Frankly I think the first one is way better. I really couldn't get pass chapter 5 of the second one. Bore me to hell and back.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

You bought them both, and their both good games. Play them in order.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Vonocourt

Play the first, take a month or two break, then play the second one. I went and played all the Dead Space games(excluding the ios) within a two week period and got burned out, to the point where I wound up finishing Dead Space 2 months later.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By Humanity

Don't understand people saying the first one is way better. I love the series and enjoy both games. I can't really say one is better than the other because they both have strengths and weaknesses. I think that you just didn't know what to expect of the first one thats why it made a stronger impact on some. I personally liked the Ishimura more than the Sprawl but I can't deny the levels, action sequences and general gameplay is way better in the sequel. Also even though someone mindlessly spoiled it on the first page - the section when you go back, thats just pure atmosphere and felt amazing.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By Justin258

@downtime58 said:

I'd play them both - the first one is excellent - perhaps even more atmospheric.

My only suggestion is don't play them both in a row - I burned out on Dead Space 2 near the end because I'd played so much Dead Space in a short time - they play quite similar - but that could be my own tolerance level too.

Really? I did play them both in a row and all I wanted to do, when finished, was jump back in. This was pretty recently, too, over Christmas break.

@PainGod89 said:

Yeah, but I have kind of moved away from the survival horror genre. Where'as loved them as a kid. Or is the first game more action than I think it is?

The first game is more an action game with a horror tinge to it. Think Bioshock with more focus on horror, but not overtly so. Besides, very few parts are actually anything resembling "scary", it's more that tense "atmospheric" feeling.

The second has a slightly bigger focus on action, but not a much bigger one.

As for the story? It's not wafer-thin, but it's hardly something compelling beyond a few of the first games' sorta-surprise twists. EDIT: And the second game relies on the first game's story, so if you must know what's going on you probably need to have played the first.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horror is not a genre, guys. Sci-fi and fantasy are also not genres. Dead Space 1 and 2 are action games.

Also, for all the talk of less-atmospheric and more-actiony, the main difference between the combat in 1 and 2 is that Isaac moves faster in 2. The enemies are largely the same, the encounter variety is largely the same, there's custom moments in both (though Dead Space 2 has more variety), the only difference is Isaac's footspeed is about 20% faster and he has the TK throw now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, if there are no cranks then it's not survival horror. The math is clear.

Action-adventure + horror x cranks = survival horror