Failed Gaming Mascots: Close, but no franchise...

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By ImperiousRix

Games, especially back in the relative dark ages of gaming, banked a lot of their success on marketable game characters.  Hell, if the game didn't have a cool-looking character on the box art, ya might as well pack up shop.  However, sometimes games that were decent, if not good, and had a decent character gracing the cover, it STILL didn't get catch on.  What are some games you can recall as being pretty damn good, and with a pretty good main character that didn't get followed up in any significant way? 
I'll get things started off with a personal favorite; that insectoid renegade himself, Buck Bumble. 

Buck Bumble was a decent little shooter, something like a helicopter assault game, but using a wholly insect theme.  Despite the decent gameplay, pretty cool protagonist, and CATCHY AS ALL HELL THEME SONG, Buck never got off the ground.  RIP, Buck Bumble.  Your deeds will be remembered by... few, but they were great.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Coombs
ToeJam&Earl
While not a complete failure the franchise only had 4 games.
But at the time they were some of my favorite games, And I would really like to see them return on this gen of consoles.
Matter of fact ToeJam&Earl: Panic On Funkotron is in my Genesis right now, And I have played it in the last couple months.
v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By v

Glover... Only 1 game on the N64, and although it made it to the PS1 and PC, there were nevr any other games 

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@Tarsier: I'm getting that screwy image thing too

Anyways, we all know the biggest failed mascots would have to be the Cheetahmen. Not only were they spawned from the wretched bowels of Action 52, but their corpses were raped and reanimated in a shitty sequel. THAT is a true mascot failure.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By vidiot

Why wasn't this marketable?!!?!
Why wasn't this marketable?!!?!
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By hatking
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ImperiousRix
@Coombs:
I remember being just an itty bitty lad when I played the Original ToeJam and Earl.  Although I liked it and could make progress, it always seemed to go way over my head.  That's why I much preferred the sequel for its simpler and more straight-forward platforming gameplay. 
I figgered those two would be stalwarts of Sega, but they just couldn't capture the magic on any other systems.  Too bad.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Rocket - from Rocket: Robot on Wheels 

No Caption Provided

Sucker Punch's first game, before Sly Cooper and Infamous was a little N64 platformer about a red robot in a themepark. Had fairly good physics for the time, although at a lot of times that ended up being a double edged sword since it would bring a bit of frustration when jumping around from platform to platform. That said there was a lot of charm to the game and it easily could have had its own franchise, although for whatever reason Sucker Punch decided not to follow up on it.

Cooper - from Grabbed by the Ghoulies

No Caption Provided

I actually liked this game quite a lot, although I can admit its flaws and can see why it flopped. Rare left the door open for a sequel at the end of this but unlike their other game franchises it just wasn't to be. Funny how the "From the Creators of Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie" text was added to the box to try and push the sale.
Also didn't help that out of all the great characters in the game, the main characters were some of the most bland and unlikable mascots I've happened to come across.
HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HaltIamReptar
v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By v
@Kowbrainz: wasnt Grabbed by the Ghoulies a launch title for the xbox?
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hatking
@HaltIamReptar:
Yeah the Xbox was grabbing at straws when it launched.  There are probably about 20 different failed franchises that Microsoft went through before realizing Halo was their pride and joy. 
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Milkman

God, that Buck Bumble theme is DOPE!  

But I remember the game sucking a lot.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Coombs

Another one that comes to mind is Lost Vikings  
There were two games, I never played the second but the first was awesome.

Blizzard is to busy with WoW to bother.......
 Blizzard is to busy with WoW to bother.......

@Tarsier:
  I'm getting that weird bug with the menu too.....

This is the right one right?
This is the right one right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@V: Nah, it came out in 2003. Rare wasn't with Microsoft for the Xbox's launch.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGreatGuero

HA! Wild Woody?! Man, that box art alone would have had me sold. It must have failed simply because it was a Sega CD game.

Man, Glover was freaking terrible. I hated that game. Sure looked charming, though. I remember most of these mascots, actually. If I recall, Buck Bumble was a pretty decent game.

I thought Cool Spot's game was freaking dope, man. Not really an original game character since he was the 7-Up dude, but it would have been an ideal time for him to make a big comeback during the whole Make 7 Up Yours campaign. I guess more people just prefer Sprite. How unfortunate. 

No Caption Provided
Then there was also this guy:

No Caption Provided
I thought Bubsy was a great game back in the day. I always enjoyed playing it, though it could get really freaking hard from what I recall. I was never able to beat it, but I know I was close. Things went way downhill for this fly cat. What a shame.
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Coombs
@TheGreatGuero: 
Sprite is just better than 7up 
But Cool Spot was an awesome game, I would buy the sequel, XBL or PSN game maybe?
.....Why the fuck have'nt they done that? it would sells tons of copies and cost less than running their commercials.....
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By c1337us

Oh man. Bubsy and Toe Jam and Earl bring back some memories.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@HatKing said:
" Blinx "
I think Blinx's problem was how god damn ugly he was.  That,and people bought the Xbox for games like Halo.
Still, I really enjoyed his two games, they had some very original gameplay mechanics and great platforming.  The new Ratchet & Clank game is a just poor clone of what blinx was, didn't even begin to approach the same level of complexity, or originality.

Anyone remember Croc?

The theme song will be stuck in your head for the rest of the day
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Whisperkill

Alex Kidd I guess ended up failing. 

Gex, and The Oddworld games as well...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Zool. I loved zool. The game wasn't great, but I still loved it.

Zool EU Box Art
Zool EU Box Art
DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DrFidget

Astal. He’s made some cameos in Sonic comics but never got another game.  I bet it would look gorgeous in HD.

No Caption Provided
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By tebbit
@Whisperkill:  Oddworld made a decentt go at it, they had... four games? And maybe a movie / new game in the near / distant / never future. And Pantless Sligs were the greatest inventions ever, so I wouldn't call it a failed series. Maybe just short-lived.
@WinterSnowblind said:

" @HatKing said:

" Blinx "
I think Blinx's problem was how god damn ugly he was.  That,and people bought the Xbox for games like Halo.
Still, I really enjoyed his two games, they had some very original gameplay mechanics and great platforming.  The new Ratchet & Clank game is a just poor clone of what blinx was, didn't even begin to approach the same level of complexity, or originality.

Anyone remember Croc?

"
You are my hero. That song's been stuck in my head since the day it came out! GOD DAMN YOU ARGONAUT SOFTWARE AND TO A LESSER EXTENT 20TH CENTURY FOX.
danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By danielkempster

What about Dynamite Headdy? 

No Caption Provided
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By penguindust
Metal Arms: A Glitch in the System

"Glitch" was the mascot
I'm not sure if it was ever supposed to be a franchise, but I have read the developers say they'd still like to return to the character.  One developer even said in an interview that he wasn't sure who owned the license now.  After the game came out and was very impressive although only a moderate success, the studio (Swinging Ape Studios) was bought out by Blizzard to finish off their failing Starcraft: Ghost console game.  Well, everything had to be scraped for that and rebuilt from the ground up.  A short time later, Starcraft: Ghost was place on indefinite hiatus.   The studio was dissolved into Blizzard completely and all the assets for Metal Arms 2 lost.   Which is too bad because it was the best platformer on the original Xbox and a great game in general.
Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

No Caption Provided
Joanna Dark
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fuzzyponken
@MattyFTM: I had that box art as a huge poster (which I believe came with the game) as a kid. I was so proud of it I brought it to school one day and never saw it again. :(
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@fuzzyponken said:
" @MattyFTM: I had that box art as a huge poster (which I believe came with the game) as a kid. I was so proud of it I brought it to school one day and never saw it again. :( "
Yeah, I had that poster too as a kid (I must have been about 4 or 5, maybe 6 at the oldest). I think I liked the game so much because of the big ass poster, rather than the actual quality of the game itself.
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By evanbrau

Gex and all of Microsofts crazy attempts at mascots are what stand out for me. I don't think Sony ever really made a push for a mascot since they relied so much on third party stuff. I guess they have Drake now.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nanikore
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @HatKing said:
" Blinx "

Anyone remember Croc?

"
Croc was fucking awesome, and so was the theme song.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WinterSnowblind said:
" @HatKing said:
" Blinx "

Anyone remember Croc?

"
Oh god, now you've gone and done it...

Although I admit I mainly played Croc 2 and skipped the first one, I do remember having that theme song come back to me every now and then and make me start humming out of nowhere.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ImperiousRix
@TheGreatGuero:
Man, I loved Cool Spot.  That game was cool, and surprising for being a goddamn game based on the 7-Up mascot for goodness sake. 
I remember actually liking the Bubsy games, too, when I was a kid.  Now that I'm grown, apparently they were terrible, or how everybody would have me believe.  I must have been a stupid kid.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Jeust

Japanese box cover
Japanese box cover
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By turbomonkey138
@MattyFTM said:

" Zool. I loved zool. The game wasn't great, but I still loved it.

Zool EU Box Art
Zool EU Box Art
"
Sponsored by
No Caption Provided
I have that zool poster in my room :D
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#34  Edited By Hailinel

Genesis Box
Genesis Box
I've never played this game, nor did I play the sequel.  All I really remember of it was from when it appeared in Nintendo Power.  Obviously, it really didn't make that much of an impact on me (or on most people, it would see).
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Gabriel
@evanbrau said:
" Gex and all of Microsofts crazy attempts at mascots are what stand out for me. I don't think Sony ever really made a push for a mascot since they relied so much on third person stuff. I guess they have Drake now. "
They had Crash Bandicoot which was really successful for them.
Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lestater
@PenguinDust: That was a great game and could have been Microsoft's answer to Ratchet & Clank.
turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By turbo_toaster

Hahahaha this is a great thread. Though I still have love for Toe Jam & Earl as well as Croc.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#38  Edited By Hailinel
@Gabriel said:

" @evanbrau said:

" Gex and all of Microsofts crazy attempts at mascots are what stand out for me. I don't think Sony ever really made a push for a mascot since they relied so much on third person stuff. I guess they have Drake now. "
They had Crash Bandicoot which was really successful for them. "
Excep now Crash is basically the video game mascot equivalent of your average "Behind the Music" subject.  First came the fame, then came the drugs, then the fall from grace into middling kart racers and party games.  And when he isn't up to that, it's time to hit the booze and get arrested on yet another domestic violence charge.
Disengage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Disengage

No Caption Provided
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ImperiousRix

I've got another "classic".  Chameleon Twist! 

This game was fun as hell, and extremely unique.  Although its cast of Chameleon heroes and heroines were a bit bland, and the game made less sense than most platformers of the day.  It was followed by a sequel a couple years later that actually made some aesthetic changes to the characters, and I was hoping that the game would become a stalwart franchise.  Sadly, Chameleon Twist died with the N64.

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By K0rN
@Kowbrainz said:
"Rocket - from Rocket: Robot on Wheels 

Sucker Punch's first game, before Sly Cooper and Infamous was a little N64 platformer about a red robot in a themepark. Had fairly good physics for the time, although at a lot of times that ended up being a double edged sword since it would bring a bit of frustration when jumping around from platform to platform. That said there was a lot of charm to the game and it easily could have had its own franchise, although for whatever reason Sucker Punch decided not to follow up on it.

Cooper - from Grabbed by the Ghoulies

I actually liked this game quite a lot, although I can admit its flaws and can see why it flopped. Rare left the door open for a sequel at the end of this but unlike their other game franchises it just wasn't to be. Funny how the "From the Creators of Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie" text was added to the box to try and push the sale. Also didn't help that out of all the great characters in the game, the main characters were some of the most bland and unlikable mascots I've happened to come across. "

Whoa! I can't believe a Nintendo game was mentioned on an Xbox exclusive!
CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CandleJakk

What about Sir Daniel Fortesque? 

Dude, he's totally brave, you can tell. 
Dude, he's totally brave, you can tell. 
Log

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Log
@evanbrau said:
" I don't think Sony ever really made a push for a mascot since they relied so much on third person stuff. I guess they have Drake now. "
Wasn't  " Crash Bandicoot" the original Sony Mascot for the PS1?
turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By turbo_toaster
@Log:

Naughty Dog seems to be Sony's go-to for attempted mascots.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#45  Edited By rjayb89

DUDE, that Buck Bumble theme song is siiiiiickkk.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Castro

I was a huge fan of the first two Earthworm Jim games. They even had a cartoon for a short bit of time. Then the whole thing just kinda vanished. They made a crappy (apparently, I never played it myself) 3D game and that was it. Looking back, the game does kinda scream "90s" and I'm not sure how popular it would be today, but those first two games were wicked.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ImperiousRix
@rjayb89:
I KNOW, right?!
Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Fudgeblood

OH FUCK, THE NOSTALGIA.

/caps

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By Red12b
@Turbo_Toaster said:
" @Log:  Naughty Dog seems to be Sony's go-to for attempted mascots. "
There was Spyro as well, and Lara Croft, Snake. 

I loved Crash, the cooky Bandicoot.
MrDragon59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MrDragon59
@WinterSnowblind: Hell yeah! Croc was awesome