First time GiantBomb.com has disappointed me...

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By Mono_Listo

I could see Giant Bomb losing respect if they say, published a day-one review for a game in which the publisher famously only granted review copies if the outlet ensured a 90% or greater score in their review. Or regurgitated press releases. Or hell, any other practice commonly associated with the failing standards of game journalism.

But they don't. So you guys are basically just whining mouth whores.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#152  Edited By benpack
@turbomonkey138 said:
" GB has lost my respect a while ago .   to many people sucking dick around here "
Yet I still frequently post here...
:ProblemOfficerFace:

So if sucking dick is defending someone whose views you agree with, what is criticizing them? Ass-fucking them? You wish Giant Bomb had more ass fucking? Just no A2M please.
drakattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By drakattack
@turbomonkey138 said:
" @Rhaknar said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
" GB has lost my respect a while ago .   to many people sucking dick around here "
you're right, too many people do suck dick around here  ...nice linky avatar btw. oh sweet irony "
he needs to be remembered "
I feel like a fool for not understanding how your avatar ( I think it's little red riding hood?) is Link? Explain please.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#154  Edited By turbomonkey138
@GlenTennis said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
Yet I still frequently post here... :ProblemOfficerFace:  So if sucking dick is defending someone whose views you agree with, what is criticizing them? Ass-fucking them? You wish Giant Bomb had more ass fucking? Just no A2M please. "
Perhaps you should go away
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By turbomonkey138
@drakattack said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
" @Rhaknar said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
you're right, too many people do suck dick around here  ...nice linky avatar btw. oh sweet irony "
I feel like a fool for not understanding how your avatar ( I think it's little red riding hood?) is Link? Explain please. "
It is to remember a user called Linkyshinks that got  banned for stupid reasons . I won't go into it here ..if you wanna know just PM me
ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#156  Edited By ectoplasma

Dear thread starter, I full heartedly agree with your observation that the video review is a rehash of the written review. But that's how it always was around these lands. So kinda, rule of tradition. I would like it better if there would be new content in the video reviews, but man, u gotta critique the whole site then because ALL of the video reviews I saw were just rehashs (And, contrary to what my account suggests, Im here since start). I only watch the video reviews  for the game footage or if there is a game I was too lazy to read the written review because I didn't really care. Also, too much text dude.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#157  Edited By krazy_kyle
@bonbolapti:
I couldn't agree more, it's extremely annoying.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#158  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Swaboo said:
" The video reviews are for people too lazy to read. "
This. No point in putting stupid amounts of effort into them, GB is staffed by a very small amount of people, imo, changing things up just for the video review is a complete waste of everybody involved's time.  

Wahhh wahhh wahhh i'm a journalist... Grow up, video reviews are, for the most part (across a lot of places) just read verbatim from text reviews. I don't see what the issue is, what, you want them to write 2 seperate reviews? Why, what's the fucking point in that? 

The vids are for people who are too lazy to read, stands to reason they should mirror exactly the tone of the written review.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#159  Edited By Rhaknar
@turbomonkey138 said:
" @drakattack said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
" @Rhaknar said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
I feel like a fool for not understanding how your avatar ( I think it's little red riding hood?) is Link? Explain please. "
It is to remember a user called Linkyshinks that got  banned for stupid reasons . I won't go into it here ..if you wanna know just PM me "
are you going to send him Linky's hilarious THE TRUTH ABOUT GIANTBOMB pm?
ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By ectoplasma
@drakattack said:
" @bonbolapti said:
" This community needs to stop complaining about things. "
People need to stop protecting paid journalist's when they do a piss poor job too. The site may be free for me, but they are paid for their work, and I do expect a baseline level of quality, regardless. "
LOL. Why is it YOUR right to complain again? Did you pay those journalists? Did your taxes pay those journalists? Sure complaints should be allowed but should be phrased as suggestions, it is not your right as a reader to demand a certain giant bomb.
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By benpack
@turbomonkey138: I'm not the one complaining. I just think it's interesting that if you defend someone because you share their beliefs that it's something negative (and vaguely homophobic), but criticizing them is some triumphant action that is to be looked upon as heroic.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By turbomonkey138
@Rhaknar said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
" @drakattack said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
" @Rhaknar said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
It is to remember a user called Linkyshinks that got  banned for stupid reasons . I won't go into it here ..if you wanna know just PM me "
are you going to send him Linky's hilarious THE TRUTH ABOUT GIANTBOMB pm? "
if he wants to get out of the matrix then sure
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Guppy507 said:

" Yeah, bro.  He should have done an interpretive dance instead! "

I would pay actual, real-world monies for interpretive dance reviews (that is, review done in interpretive dance, not reviews of interpretive dance by the GB crew.)
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#164  Edited By alistercat

All I expect from a video review is to see footage of the game as they talk about it. All I want is a shift in medium, not content. If there were anything omitted from the written review that appeared in the video that would diminish the quality of the written review. The only other thing I can think of is just saying the same stuff in a different way, which is pointless. They should be roughly the same.

Mono_Listo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By Mono_Listo

The video presentation isn't "for people too lazy to read". It's just another medium used to present their review.

I don't know what people expect. Ryan to come out riding a unicycle and juggling while giving the review while Dancing with the Stars plays in the background? Just stop and think for a second what the word journalism means.

(hint: it has nothing to do with entertainment. That's the territory of shams like Faux News)

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Castro

First time? You've obviously never been duder'd.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#167  Edited By RVonE

I think someone is overreacting.
JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#168  Edited By JonathanMoore

... It's a Video... jeez man...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#169  Edited By Yummylee
@Rhaknar said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
" @drakattack said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
" @Rhaknar said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
Is that the one that started with ''I always thought of you as one of the nicer users on GB''?...I thought he genuinely thought of me that way =O That whore! 
mrwillhelm91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By mrwillhelm91
@drakattack said:
****UPDATE****
Original OP is up right now working on a piece about local water poisoning in a neighboring town.  
Original original poster? A journalist in such a prestigious position should understand what a tautology is... <_<
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Rhaknar
@Abyssfull said:
" @Rhaknar said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
" @drakattack said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
" @Rhaknar said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:
Is that the one that started with ''I always thought of you as one of the nicer users on GB''?...I thought he genuinely thought of me that way =O That whore!  "
i'm guessing he sent it to everyone, i'm afraid you're not special. :p  I read it now and then for a laugh
ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By ectoplasma
@MrWillhelm91:    Maybe hes also a teacher and emphasizes learning through repetition
Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#173  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

Just hearing him say faceship was more than worth it.

Plus, Ryan's not here to dance for you. He's here to dance for Ryan.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#174  Edited By Yummylee
@Rhaknar:  
Too much effort involved for me to ever read through that shite again. The guy wrote it like some sort of conspiracy article. 

I can already picture him appearing on the news with his tinfoil hate cursing giantbomb through the streets.
drakattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By drakattack
@MrWillhelm91 said:

" @drakattack said:

****UPDATE****
Original OP is up right now working on a piece about local water poisoning in a neighboring town.  

Original original poster? A journalist in such a prestigious position should understand what a tautology is... <_< "
Don't be surprised at errors in a writer's work. That's what editors are for. More surprised that no one had noticed it yet. Also, I think it's a writers job to create a stir and get people to read his work, even if they hate it. I do a pretty good job of stirring up 3,000 views in 12 hours.

Tautology, excellent word!
mrwillhelm91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By mrwillhelm91
@drakattack: @drakattack said:
" @MrWillhelm91 said:
" @drakattack said:
****UPDATE****
Original original poster? A journalist in such a prestigious position should understand what a tautology is... <_< "
Don't be surprised at errors in a writers work. That's what editors are for. More surprised that no one had noticed it yet. Also, tautology, excellent word. "
It's the only word I've ever learnt  from Doctor Who =]. 
P.S. writers'* xD
zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By zagzagovich
@Swaboo said:
" The video reviews are for people too lazy to read. "
drakattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By drakattack
@MrWillhelm91: could be wrong but I think it's writer's and not writers' work?
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By sixghost
@drakattack said:
" @MrWillhelm91 said:

" @drakattack said:

****UPDATE****
Don't be surprised at errors in a writers work. That's what editors are for. More surprised that no one had noticed it yet. Also, I think it's a writers job to create a stir and get people to read his work, even if they hate it. I do a pretty good job of stirring up 3,000 views in 12 hours. "

If that's all you aspire to in your journalism, then sure. You've basically accomplished what any internet troll could do by idiotically criticizing something a lot of people love. 
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#180  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

While I do agree that rehashing the written review on a video review isn't a great addition to the site, I can totally understand why they did it:

Recently on the site there have been quite a few complaints from users about the lack of video reviews. They have obviously noticed these comments & criticisms and have decided to do more video reviews. However, most of these complaints seem to be coming from kids who just can't be bothered to read the written review. Logic dictates that the audience who want a video review will be satisfied with him just reading out the written review, so why go to a lot of effort of writing new stuff to read out on a video review? That takes a lot of time and effort - and they're a very small team with limited resources. I'd rather him just go for the quick and easy option, and have more time to work on something else. They're satisfying the "I can't be bothered to read" audience, and not devoting too much time to it so they can produce more awesome content. Everyone wins (sort of, anyway)

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#181  Edited By Legend
@drakattack said:
" @MrWillhelm91 said:

" @drakattack said:

****UPDATE****

Don't be surprised at errors in a writer's work. That's what editors are for. More surprised that no one had noticed it yet. Also, I think it's a writers job to create a stir and get people to read his work, even if they hate it. I do a pretty good job of stirring up 3,000 views in 12 hours.  Tautology, excellent word! "
The thread has only 2800 views atm. I'm responsible for 100 of those because I keep refreshing the thread over and over laughing my ass off as I see people pwning you.
General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By General_D23

And so we've come to our weekly dose of forum drama.

drakattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By drakattack
@MattyFTM said:
" While I do agree that rehashing the written review on a video review isn't a great addition to the site, I can totally understand why they did it: Recently on the site there have been quite a few complaints from users about the lack of video reviews. They have obviously noticed these comments & criticisms and have decided to do more video reviews. However, most of these complaints seem to be coming from kids who just can't be bothered to read the written review. Logic dictates that the audience who want a video review will be satisfied with him just reading out the written review, so why go to a lot of effort of writing new stuff to read out on a video review? That takes a lot of time and effort - and they're a very small team with limited resources. I'd rather him just go for the quick and easy option, and have more time to work on something else. They're satisfying the "I can't be bothered to read" audience, and not devoting too much time to it so they can produce more awesome content. Everyone wins (sort of, anyway) "
I completely hear you on that and I know that's what is happening. I like Ryan and think he is funny as hell and a great writer. I just want him to know that I know he is slacking on purpose.
Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#184  Edited By Colin

Isn't a video review just the review in a video format, It's not meant to add anything that the written review hasn't said, and tbh I don't read written reviews for most part I don't care for the games that have been reviewed but if there is a video review i'll watch it even if I don't care for the game.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Jimbo
@drakattack said:

"Ryan, if you ever read this, remember that you are a five star chef and while most of your restaurant is filled with palate-absent fools who are more than happy to eat any crap you cook up for them, there is always someone sitting alone in the back who knows your true skill and expects your finest dish every time.  " 

@drakattack said:

"I write some free lance and high school sports articles for the Springfield News Leader. "

I lol'd.
drakattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By drakattack
@Jimbo said:
" @drakattack said:

"Ryan, if you ever read this, remember that you are a five star chef and while most of your restaurant is filled with palate-absent fools who are more than happy to eat any crap you cook up for them, there is always someone sitting alone in the back who knows your true skill and expects your finest dish every time.  " 

@drakattack said:

"I write some free lance and high school sports articles for the Springfield News Leader. "

I lol'd. "
Don't you wish your newspaper was full of assholes like me? Imagine the stories. Everyone would buy it just for the lolz
RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#187  Edited By RagingLion
@drakattack: I understand what you're saying.  When asking for a reason of why, I think Ryan's answer might be that you wouldn't necessarily need to consume both the written version and video version.  It's hard to know for sure but it might be fair to say that there are some people who prefer to get their reviews and in written form and others who prefer a video review.  Personally I'll almost always go for a video review if it's on offer since I find it an easier and more entertaining way to consume that review content.  Also, if Ryan feels his written review is the best way of expressing the important considerations about the game then why should he come up with a whole load of other points or express them in a different way if he felt that the original written review expressed everything in the best he could already.

I know that's not all you're saying.  You're saying that a video review should use that format to greater effect since there's more that you can achieve with it.  I agree but it doesn't mean a normal review with gameplay footage behind can't be really good even if it isn't the best it can be.  Final thought:  would any of what you've observed rest more upon Vinny than Ryan or Brad for that matter?  I'm not certain what the division of labour is and who records the gameplay footage and chooses what to use but a lot of what was great about Brad's review for example might have come from Vinny, or then again maybe it was primarily directed by Brad, I don't know.
drakattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By drakattack
@RagingLion:  I don't necessarily have a problem with the editing in the Galaxy 2 review. It was decent. I gotta be honest, reading his review on camera and calling it a video review rubbed me the wrong way. I'll also say this now; If Jeff or Brad are guilty of this same thing, then just remove Ryan's name and replace it with staff. I don't care who does it, it's crappy and lame. On the flipside, I think his written review was damn good.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By time allen

video reviews are there for people who don't want to read the written review, are too lazy to, or are pressed for time.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#191  Edited By LackingSaint

As much as I appreciate the written review, when i'm busy it's much easier to just watch a 4-minute video. That is the purpose of GB's video reviews, and ALWAYS has been. 

I mean JESUS, do you think their opinions would be different on video than on text?! Do you REALLY think it's a good use of the staff's time to write out TWO REVIEWS THAT SAY THE EXACT SAME THING?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#192  Edited By Willy105

Reading their written review out loud is just like how Gamespot used to do it.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Jeffsekai

People sure are jerks...jesus.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Pessh

That's just how they do it, and since when do video reviews add to written reviews? Written reviews are always more detailed, video reviews are just for lazy people.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By JokerSmilez

Read and then watch Ryan's reviews for Bayonetta. Exact same thing. So, quit bitching. 

You want him to write 2 completely different reviews for the same game? Brad and Ryan have different styles, and Ryan's style for video reviews is "so you were too fucking lazy to read my review that I spent hours writing? You'd rather watch something that took 20 mins to shoot because it will take less effort from you? Fine. I'm going read my work that I worked hard on over some gameplay footage, asshole."

I don't see the big deal. Making a video VERSION of a review does not have to be completely different than the written review. Ryan Davis (or any other staff memeber of this site) does not give a shit if you don't like one of their reviews.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rhaknar:  Someone please send me this PM.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@drakattack said:
" @bonbolapti said:
" This community needs to stop complaining about things. "
People need to stop protecting paid journalist's when they do a piss poor job too. The site may be free for me, but they are paid for their work, and I do expect a baseline level of quality, regardless. "
Considering it's not you paying them, you aren't entitled to shit. You will struggle to find an alternative reviewer who writes with as much flair as Ryan does, let alone one who is willing to then perform his review in front of a video for your personal entertainment. 

Dry your eyes, mate.
s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#198  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Ryan totally ripped off Ryan with that video review. Ryan should sue Ryan for plagiarism since Ryan clearly put no effort in his review by using the review that Ryan wrote as material for the video.
Avatar image for fakeplastictree
FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By FakePlasticTree

Different people present things differently? Holy fuck stick!

deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#200  Edited By deadly_polo

It is his material, which he thinks best sums up the game, so what if he uses it in the Video and Written review. The point of the video review is to give some background images relating to the game being reviewed, as to allow the watcher to easily see what the reviewer is talking about; it serves its purpose in my view.