• 120 results
djames216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By djames216

I've just finished watching Jeff's video of Pitfall 2. A combination of it being Christmas and watching this old-ass game reminded me of the first video game I ever played. It was an electronic tabletop game called Astro Wars that came out in the early eighties. If we assume (as I can't remember which year exactly) that I got it in the year it came out, 1981, I will have been eight years old at the time. My eight-year-old self loved that game and played the shit out of it over Christmas. It's very similar to Galaxian, although a much simpler version due to the limitations of the hardware but it was still fun to play. I also remember sneaking into my parent's bedroom and managing to get a brief glance at the box before it was wrapped, reading the title "Grandstand Astro Wars" and having no idea what it was.

What was your first video game?

Was it a Christmas present?

Did you actually enjoy it or was it a frustrating experience?

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Toxeia

For my 5th birthday I got a Nintendo system and RBI Baseball. You do the math.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

Defender. I was at a cousin's house, didn't speak English, and didn't know what the hell was going on.

But it was cool.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By MariachiMacabre

A SNES and Super Mario World for Christmas.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Turambar

The first game I ever played was Adventure Island on some 72 games in 1 cartridge for the NES at my grandmother's house. After seeing the multi-game cartridge on the live stream, I've come to the realization that that one was fucking great. Out of the 72 games, a good 40-50 of them were actual unique games, and they were mostly quality ones and not weird romhacks.

If you want to talk about the first game I actually owned though, Kirby for the NES for my 7th birthday.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

Pacman.

Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vestigial_Man

My first game was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 for PS2 and it was indeed a Christmas present when I was about 5. I'm a lot younger than most people on here I think.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By BeachThunder

Far Cry 3. I'm a lot younger than most people on here, I think.

Possibly Lemmings, but I'm not really sure...

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#10  Edited By Kidavenger

Utopia, No idea why my parents would have bought a game like this for a little kid, but this was the first game I remember really getting into.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Clonedzero

when i was around 3, i was hospitalized for awhile with some sort of sickness i dont remember what, but i was in there for awhile. (i got better obviously). but the childrens hospital had this like playroom for the sick kids, and there was a donkey kong arcade machine, and i hogged that thing all day long.

ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ThePencil

The first video game I ever played was Prince of Persia on my Uncle's AMIGA. I always remember it because that's the first time he and I actually started to get on with each other (I was a whiny brat) and, really, I doubt without his influence and that game I would ever have gotten into video games. FUCK THAT GAME, however. Eventually we got a house AMIGA, but that was never mine (still got to play a shit tonne of floppy's on it though)

The first console I owned myself was that glorious SOB, the SEGA MegaDrive (though for years i thought the Genesis was a seperate machine of it's own) and the first (and initally only) game I owned was Streets of Rage 2. It wasn't a Christmas present, it was for my birthday (though as my birthday is usually 2 weeks before christmas, I wouldn't have been surprised if my parents gave me it as a birthday gift even though it might initially have been a cringle one) Streets of Rage was a fun, but goddamn frustrating game. It probably didn't help that I was bad at it. I've never beaten it, and any time I get an idea to link up the old girl and give some of those old games a shot again, I keep hoping to beat that frelling game (and Altered Beast too!)

Lenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Lenny

Something on the ZX Spectrum.... too long ago to say what the first game was, we are talking games on cassette tape here.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Super Mario Bros. on the NES.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Justin258

Interstellar Assault, which is a Gradius game, on the Game Boy. I was five at the time.

Yep, my first video game ever was fuckmothering difficult. I was about five years old, I remember playing it all night until my parents finally took it away and made me go to bed, and then I woke up at about 5 AM, went to the living room, turned on the lamp, and started playing again until the batteries ran out.

I got a SNES with Donkey Kong Country that year and inside was a poster for Super Metroid, which I finally got the next Christmas because it took a lot of convincing my parents to buy something darker-colored than a Mario game (a trend which has continued for me - I've always liked darker-shaded stuff). And Super Metroid is the game that really solidified my interest in gaming. I hadn't been absorbed in a game that much until then, and it's still my favorite of all time. Not through rose-colored glasses, either - I still play it and beat it on occasion and it is still an amazing game.

So there's how I really got started in video gaming. I remember getting Mario Kart and Super Star Wars and Super Mario All-Stars (with Super Mario World included) and the other two Donkey Kong Country games and renting games with every fiver my dad gave me. Man, those days were awesome.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sumbog

Super Mario Bros Deluxe for the Gameboy Colour in '99... At least I think that was the first video game I have ever played, it seems like it.

Could have been like Getforce Gemini, or maybe Rouge Squadron... That was so long ago I dunno how people can remember that specific of information.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By s10129107

I remember playing Duckhunt and Mario at my cousin's house but we never really got to play. My first game was Altered Beast. It was a pack-in for the Sega Genesis. I think we got that for Christmas.

There was this one time before the Sega we were taking a trip overseas when I was about 5 years old. My Dad bought me this handheld aerial bomber game. This was before the Sega Genesis. It had black and white pixelated graphics. It was probably 80 pixels across black and white. You played a plane that had to bomb the bases that shot little pellets up at you. I can barely remember it. I don't think it survived the trip.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Phatmac

Super Mario World on the SNES.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#19  Edited By Slag

Pac-man maybe?

I dunno something in the arcade, definitely when I was very small.

First game I owned was the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet cart that came with an apparently later version of the NES.

It was a present for me and my sibling for Christmas from the folks and we both loved it death.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikkaQ

I can't really remember, probably some early-mid 90s edutainment software. Plus the computers at my first school were old enough to have oregon trail on them, so it could be that game.

My first console was the N64, so Mario 64 was my first console came, got it when I was like 5 or 6.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Fallen189

I got an NES with Mega Man 3 and Super Mario Bros when I was younger. I couldn't beat Snake man

Alpha1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Alpha1

Can't remember which game but I defiantly played it on the Zx Spectrum

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BisonHero

@Clonedzero said:

when i was around 3, i was hospitalized for awhile with some sort of sickness i dont remember what, but i was in there for awhile. (i got better obviously). but the childrens hospital had this like playroom for the sick kids, and there was a donkey kong arcade machine, and i hogged that thing all day long.

Bummer about you being sick at the time, but that is a pretty rad playroom for sick kids.

Be honest: are you Billy Mitchell?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#24  Edited By alistercat

Sonic 1.

Plipster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Plipster
emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By emprpngn

Either Duck Hunt or Super Mario Bros. for the NES... can't quite remember which. That was my uncle's console, so I didn't get to play them much. Later my parents bought me a Sega Genesis when I was four, and my first game for that was Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HarlechQuinn

One of the countless Pong clones existing in the early 80s, which I "inherited" from a cousin. First "self" purchased game was Epyx Championship Wrestling together with my C64 in 1987...

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By ProfessorEss

The first one I can remember was Combat for the Atari.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By toowalrus

I suppose I don't remember actually playing my first game, so apparently I've been playing games since before I can remember. It had to be a NES game though, since one of my earliest memories is my dad showing me how to get the infinite lives in Mario's 3-1. Hmm. I also him showing me how to get double ships in Galaga, so it may have been an Arcade game, I suppose...

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zeik

Pretty sure it was Sonic the Hedgehog, when my family got a Sega Genesis for Christmas.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By 71Ranchero

Think it was ET for 2600. It was either that or some random IBM compatible monochrome text adventure.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Clonedzero

@BisonHero said:

@Clonedzero said:

Bummer about you being sick at the time, but that is a pretty rad playroom for sick kids.

Be honest: are you Billy Mitchell?

no, im not that big of a prick

Avatar image for thebeastwithtwobacks
thebeastwithtwobacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Mario Bros. 3

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Canteu

Default Mario/Duck hunt answer.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By notdavid

It was something on the NES. I think it involved karate, but this was way before I could even understand what games were. The first game that I consciously played and understood was Donkey Kong 64.

EDIT: Found it. It was Kung Fu.

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Jordan vs. Bird: One on One for the NES.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mnzy

I not sure at all, but I have fond memories for Kirby's Dream Land for the Game Boy.
Unless this counts: 

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mister_V

Super Mario all stars on my brand new SNES.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Dogma

The first game I remember playing was the Star Wars arcade cabinett from 84. I were between 4-6 years old. I really can't remember. I always had a fascination for games. But it wasn't until 88 that I saw and played Super Mario Bros. that I really got stung by videogame fever. :D

Avatar image for living4theday258
living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By living4theday258

super metroid....... my bro let me play it when i was five or six im not sure how old i was

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By recroulette
@mnzy said:
I not sure at all, but I have fond memories for Kirby's Dream Land for the Game Boy.
Unless this counts: 
Holy shit, I had something like that. Thing made the best sound. 

My first game was Altered Beast on my dad's Genesis.
Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some MS-DOS game. Probably an educational one. I don't remember exactly.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Power Rangers the movie for the Sega Genesis. I remember it being a good beat em up game. No idea if I would feel that way about it today.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By MocBucket62

For me it's Pokemon Yellow. I remember I got really sick when I was 7 and my dad bought me both a Game Boy Color and Pokemon Yellow as feel better gifts.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#45  Edited By DarthOrange

First game that was mine or first game that I played? Because I have no idea what the later was. My first game that I could play in my own home was Super Mario All-Stars which came with my SNES. Sometime around 1996 or 97 I think? It was and continues to be awesome.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PeasantAbuse

The first game I played was one of the SNES Mario games in a hotel room, one of those pay for an hour of game time things. Then my old-ass cousin gave me his Atari 2600 and a box of games which I still have packed away somewhere.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MezZa

Chrono Trigger on my SNES is the earliest game I can still remember. I know we had an Atari when I was really young so I probably played those games too, but I can't remember them at all.

KikReask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KikReask

Super Mario Land when I was 3 was the first game I played. Wario Land II was the first game I owned. Those were the great days in which my family could only afford to get me a Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and nothing but Mario and Wario games.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By audiosnow
TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#50  Edited By TobbRobb

I'm not 100% sure because it's been so long. But it was either Tetris, Sonic 2 or some edutainment crap. I usually say Sonic 2 because it was the first thing I really spent time on, but I have this vague recollection of playing Tetris with a friend when I was ridiculously young.

Too bad that didn't hook me back then, I wish I was a better Tetris player now.